HUGHESNET Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: Hughesnet

There may be more reports for "Hughesnet"

For more results perform a general search for "Hughesnet"

Showing 76-100 of 421 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "Hughesnet"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Sep 22 2010
HUGHESNET False advertisement, false representation of service rendered Internet
I have been a customer of Hughesnet for 4 years.  Not by choice, but because it's the only internet service provider at my 2nd home.  I have purchased a PremiumPlus plan so as to have decent Bandwidth allowance of 425MB per day.  I was under the impression that Per Day  meant a 24hr period.  This is not true with Hughesnet. If I download more than 425MB I get punished under the Hughesnet's Fair Access Policy. aka FAP. This makes my access speed severely downgraded to a snail pace the very minute I go over - for a 24 hour period.  If I want to purchase more bandwidth  I can pay $10.50 to buy a TOKEN for an extra 425MB or $25 for 3 prepaid TOKENS.  (Hughesnet allows you one complimentary token once every billing cycle.) I have been punished under FAP many times, which has prompted many calls over the years to tech support to ask WHEN did I go over?  What time of day does my allowance begin and end?  How the heck did I go over at 2am in the morning when I've been asleep all night.  Or I was at work all day - when did I go over - I wasn't home....????  I tried and tried to figure this out. Anyway, after using a token, my Bandwidth is immediately restored to 425MB the minute I use the token.  Now here's the ripoff. I was told that after resetting my bandwidth to 425MB by using my token - that is the starting point for the 24 hour period with which I can use up to 425MB.   Suppose I used a token to get back up to speed at 10am.  One representative told me at 10am the following day (and every day after that at 10am) my usage would automatically restore to 425MB-refreshing my daily allowance for the next 24hr period IF I don't go over the 425MB.  But if I do go over - say at 11pm one day - then I would need to buy another token and submit it, and therefore my 24 hour period allowance would now restore itself at 11pm everyday until the next time I go into FAP punishment. In other words, everytime you use a token, the time you use it is noted as your new starting point for your 24 hour allotment.  I finally though I understood! Hughesnet can't make it simple - like maybe every morning at 7 everyone starts a new day and a fresh allotment.   instead, they keep track of all this and you can access a table to see how much you are using per hour!  You can also access a link to see how much usage you have left for your DAY - whatever time it begins. So I am sitting at the computer, and I access this information table on the Hughesnet site, and I can see that I have almost run out of my daily usage and have 6% (27mb) left before I go into the FAP punishment phase.  Now, having been told that on 9/10/10 I used a token and therefore reset my allowance at 7pm that day EST and having not gone over since then- 7pm should be the time I get my full bandwidth allowance restored. It is now 9/22/10 and 6:35 pm and I have 6% usage remaining.  So I say to myself - no worries, it will reset at 7pm because that's the last time I used a restore token - so I won't need to buy a precious token - I'll just wait a bit. I go and do some chores, and come back to do my online college class, thinking it should now have at 7:45pm a new day's worth of 425mb allotment.   WRONG.  I sit and sit, and check and check and nothing is changing, my bandwidth is still going down.  So I call INDIA (Hughesnet tech support)and ask why is it not resetting.  They can't see my system they say, they don't know, they need to go consult someone....  Finally (after I prodded the tech into a state of exasperation by asking the simple question - AT WHAT TIME WILL MY ALLOWANCE RESET? - (repeatedly)  I get the reply of Ma'am your allowance does not automatically reset every 24 hrs.  We are on a ROLLING CLOCK system.  24 hours begins each time you enter a keystroke to access usage of the internet. If from the last keystroke you made you have gone over in any 24 hour timeframe, you will be subject to the Fair Access Policy restrictions. I tell the man I finally understand that this is a scheme, and that the word ROLLING 24 hr system is not mentioned in any statement on my contract or on their website. Further that at any given moment you can be subject to their punishment practices, and you never actually have a clearly defined 24hr daily usage period as per contract. Selling me a premium package so that I can have 425mb access per day is a complete farce, because Hughesnet does not have a 24/hr per day access to sell you. You could access Internet Explorer, walk away from the computer, leave it on but unattended and come back the next day to find yourself in FAP punishment mode, just because you left your computer on.  It's a complete money racket.  I could buy a higher priced Hughesnet service package, but 425mb is the max allotment even for the highest priced package they offer to homeowners.  Businesses who choose to by the $200+/mth package can get a few mb's more but it's all a mute point.  You basically are under surveillance, and the moment you go over they lock you out and if you want or need back online to turn in your work on time, or respond to a client's email, you WILL HAVE TO PAY!
Feb 15 2008
HughesNet STAY AWAY FROM HUGHES NET Michigan City Indiana
Hughes Net is a RIPOFF. We spent over $1,300 for the satelite and installation. And it's nowhere near high speed. Most days not faster than dial up. Service and installation were horrible. Installer charged us extra for a special cable from my barn to the house and then left me NO EXTRA CABLE TO BURY it. Even though they offer roof installation, he said he couldn't be responsible if the roof leaked after intallation?? Then why offer it? Follow-up to minor technical questions were absurd. I needed an IP number from hughes Net to activate a router in my home. Yes, they had the number but wanted to charge me $60 to get it? There customer service reps were unbelievably ignorent to basic IP questions. Do yourself a favor STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. They are bad news from beginning to end... as for me, Today I just contracted with another service. God Bless America people... the internet and Ripoff Report that enables us to inform many. NW Indiana Customer Rolling Prairie, IndianaU.S.A.
Apr 05 2008
Hughesnet Fair Access Policy Ripoff Hobucken North Carolina
When we first got Hughesnet internet it was Direcway. We never had a problem with the fair access policy and was never informed of the fair access policy until about a year ago. We suffered with an outage of internet for about a month. We called them almost every day to find out what the problem was and they always walked us through to see if it was a system problem and it never was it was always over the fair access policy. After a month of dealing with this they finally explained to us the fair access policy and we realized that our neighbor had hacked into our router and was downloading until the limit was hit and was kicking out our internet. We had to make a new password for our router to fix the problem. I have also noticed that they now have a fair access policy on their systems page to stop people from calling when that is the only problem they are having. Actually we found out about the policy from a neighbor because they signed up for service about a year ago and was told of the policy then but we never got anything about the policy change or anything and they seem really annoyed when calling about the problem. I would never have Hughesnet again. Mandi Hobucken, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Hobucken, North Carolina
Apr 05 2008
Hughesnet Misleading hype and antagonistic tech people Nationwide
Imagine the excitement I felt as the installer hooked up the new satellite dish. Now there would be no more creeping INTERNET and broken connections. Speed, speed and more speed is what the promised me. Now the reality sets in, I just paid close to 600 dollars for installation and close to 64 dollars a month. Also locking in to a two year contract for crappy and more crappy. Slow speeds, jolting connections and interruptions constantly stopping my service. Calls to customer service involve long wait times and people who can barely speak English. Changing settings and shutting down and restarting computers, modems and it seemed like what ever else they could think of. Battling through level of delays only to be insulted with I just wouldn't understand why it's slow to it's slow you signed your rights away so get over it. Being told if you complain it will go no where, as the tech laughed and hung up. WELCOME !!!! to the world of satellite INTERNET and I pray those thinking of sighing up will read this and the letters I am sending to my congressmen, government agencies and who ever else we can get to listen. Years ago businesses strived to sell good products and services to make money, now days they strive to misrepresent, trick and just plain steal money from their customers. Mindnova Canvas, West VirginiaU.S.A.
Apr 06 2008
Hughesnet Tried to trick me into a new contract Nationwide, Maryland
Hughesnet called me and asked me if I would like to upgrade my modem for faster downloads and uploads. Bare in mind I have three months to go on my current contract. When I said, No thank you, my online speed suddenly became slower and slower. Whereas I used to download at 86k I now can go no faster than 10k unless I am willing to stay up until 1:00 AM. Then the speed goes back to where it used to be all day. I have a feeling if I call their Indian speaking representative, and if I am lucky enough to not require a translator, they will tell me that all this can be fixed with the new equipment and of course a new two-year contract. Because I live in the NC mountains, there is no other choice for online internet access except of course dial-up. So now, I can pay $25 a month for aol, and speeds of 2k or I can pay $60 a month for speeds of 10k. What a rip-off! Bill ****, BS, MA Bill Robbinsville, North CarolinaU.S.A.
May 14 2008
HUGHESNET = NO NET The pitch the swing and struckout again CHICAGO Illinois
I am in a very rural area have no phonelines and learned to count on internet to conduct bussiness . The first system was thru Direcway and was somewhat reliable and after the change to hughesnet customer service and support left fast. I have spent countless hours talking to people that I could barely understand and in which they could not help thru a customer assistance phone call. (driving 20 miles to a cell signal). So resolving the issue temporarily a technician came out to reboot modem $300 dollar visit plus monthly fees paying for a service that is in accessible. Next I get the pitch your modem needs to be upgraded and this will solve everything so I spend the money for upgrade and its performance is worse than the old modem. So know I have installed amplifiers for a digital system using a cell signal. The equipment works so I decide to cancel service (been a customer for eight years) and I am told theres an early termination fee of 300 dollars for a service that has not performed or functioned properly in six months. Apparently when I upgraded the modem the service contract was extended for 15 months This was a verbal agreement to upgrade the modem over the phone there was nothing implied about a new sservice contract 8 years of loyalty and this is how I am treated.I am Very disapointed in corporate greed and irresponsibility of hughes net if they cant provide the service atleast let the customer leave the wiser not gig them on the way out the door. Tony maricopa, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: CHICAGO, Illinois
Aug 10 2007
HughesNet What the FAP!!! ripoff Germantown Maryland
A FAP? What the heck is that? It only took 3 years to figure out that hughesnet had one in place. Before that ,I thought all the reasons that it was sooo slow, was because their internet service was not the fastest around First, let me start from the beginning Dec 2004 Moved from a city to rural northeast PA (going to manage a property conversion project to a retreat center), where for internet services I had two choices: Dialup or Satellite. The locals, when I was researching companies (there was only one, mind you--- the other one only offered download, and you still had to use another service to upload files). Had dialup for 6 months, and when getting closer to opening season, I entertained the notion of getting something faster (19.6K speed for dialup) May 2005 Direcway installation company came up and installed dish (DW6000), and pole (it was either the pole ($150) or install it on a pitch roof or the side of it, both unsightly options dish would probably get fried at the first severe weather storm). This is about the only thing that has been installed right and has worked from the onset. Though, the DW7000 came out soon after this one was installed. No, we didnt want to upgrade to that for another 600. What are we made of? Money? Also, if you want to be able to upgrade to the + or premium plan, get ready to replace the DW6000, because that setup cannot mix with those plans for some reason. Purchase plan of the dish was spread over 15 months, and the cost of the dish was added to the price of service for the month (59.99). So, each month, I was getting charged $109.99 per month. Much more than any other service out there would charge. I could get BOTH cable internet and tv for less than HALF that. Never did get my $100 rebate. Wonders never cease. Asked about it, too bad was the response. July 2007. After many months with the service, I finally find out about the FAP.. this was after third call to customer service in 5 days, because I seemed to have a degradation every other day, and no one in tech support (for the previous calls) could tell me what I needed to know, what the real reason was I can attribute it to my friend, who also didnt know the policy, decided to have a youtube fest and this happened multiple times. This was after time #2. During the 3rd call, the tech support guy in India told me I was full, and needed to empty out. Upon further explanation, had told me that my bandwidth had exceeded the limits imposed by Hughesnet.. Im asking, what limitations He first told me where I could find the info to track my usage via the internet (when it was working right) He proceeded to tell me that there were three plans.. basic, +, and premium. Basic only allotted 200mg download per 24 hour period.. If you exceeded that number, you would be capped at speeds slower than dialup (I can attest its true.. You feel like youre on dialup speed when they do exhort their muscle). This was all new to me, as I had never seen such a policy on their website (you had to look real hard for it, after subsequent research), stating such a lame policy, since no other services instilled a bandwidth policy on their services. If everyone did this, no service like youtube, or any other video/music streaming would exist well maybe, if you paid $300 a month for internet, you might be able to get that, but who really has that type of cash available to waste on the internet? AUGUST 2007: So, since then, whenever I come up here, I have to put on the bandwidth usage site, and MONITOR the usage, wasting part of my day, so I dont have any more degradation of service. Today, has been a pain, because I have work to do, and I COULDNT DO MY DAMN WORK BECAUSE there is a cap on the service today. Try working when you need three browsers open on your clients site, and see how much damn work you get done. Im spending more time writing this letter complaining about hugesnet than working cause I cant do anything anyway! CUSTOMER SERVICE/TECH SUPPORT. Each time I call, Ive gotten India. About 20% of the time, I actually get someone there whos English I can follow, and we usually have a successful end of the call, and Im happy with the service. India is 12 hours ahead of us (EST). The service seems to improve if you happen to call after 8pm (EST) . I think Hughesnet picked up just anyone for the night shift out there. Most larger companies are turning to outsourcing to save money and make their bottom line look better, all for the sake of worse customer service. Expect to spend at least an hour each time you have to deal with any issues. I look with disdain whenever I have to call them for some reason, cause I have to go through the same verification BS every single time I call. FASTER Please. Complete B.S. Ive been at friends houses who have DSL/Cable, and theres no contest. Those two services are MUCH faster. Any claims to the contrary are just baldfaced lies! I never believed them in the first place. SERVICE: Try browsing on a cloudy day. Try browsing during severe weather. Try browsing when theres a dust of snow on the dish. CLOSING: I paid $59.99 per month to be LIMITED/CAPPED/WHATEVER, has got to be the biggest joke going. ALTERNATIVES: When one doesnt have any other choices outside of DIALUP, theyre screwed, when the other option is huges-ripoff-net. Stay with dialup. Its most likely faster, and cheaper, even with the landline requirement. WildBlue might be an option I think theyre more limited than the above. Verizon/Cingular/Sprint, spotty in some locations, are offering aircard services for laptops, that are slowly invading the rural space so, maybe, the next time Im in the country, Ill check that service out. I will NOT, nor will I recommend that any of my associates get this service, now, or in the future.. Lets all short HUGH and watch it go down. Maybe, another satellite firm, like CLWR or GSAT will replace them with better services, and better technology, and be able to keep a customer service line that links to people in America, not Inida, China or any other country that isnt the US. Im planning to contest my credit card bill for this latest round of lacks of service from this shyster company. Dave susquehanna, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Aug 01 2007
HughesNet Broadband Misleading Advertising Ripoff Internet
Hughes Broadband is the worst service I have ever experienced. I upgraded thinking I would get better service but boy was I wrong. I can't say anything different than what has already been written. My service went downhill when they started with the redhead started advertising on TV. I'm going to see if the Attorney General for Oklahoma can help. I hate giving my money every month for something I can't use to the fullest. Twenty dollars is too much to pay for this product. The professional is not any better than the home plan. Don't waste your money. If anyone comes up with a plan to change things around please include me. I gave up on technical support and customer service some time ago. I thought I would try just one more time so I called them a week ago. I could at least understand the rep and he tried to help but he just works for the company. I'm stuck with Hughes because of where I live and if I cancel I will owe them. Jacki Chickasha, OklahomaU.S.A.
May 10 2007
DirecTV Hughesnet False Advertising ripoff Greenwood Village Colorado
I received a flyer stating local channels is included with every package. I have a $48.00 package plus and have not received any local channels. I have been with Directv since 2002. I called and was informed that local channels was not available in my area. But I could get the networks from New York or LA for an additional $1.50 per channel times 6 (Total $9.00) more. When I talked to Christina a customer service resolver she told me customers who pay $51.00 get those channels. I asked her if I could pay $3.00 more making my package the $51.00 could I get the local channels out of NY. She told me no I had to pay the full $9.00 making my monthly bill $57.00. No where on this flyer is there any astericks or local channels are available only in certain area. I also e-mailed this complaint to Directv. Do I expect to get any resolve out of this probably not. William Sumrall, MississippiU.S.A.
Entity: Greenwood Village, Colorado
Jun 09 2007
Hughes.Net - HughesNet - Direcway ripoff Unfair Fair Access Policy Internet
I've been a reasonably happy customer of HughesNet's (formerly Direcway) satelite internet service for nearly four years. Since April 2007, my satisfaction level has gone from 90% to ZERO. They have always had a Fair Access Policy (FAP) to limit broadband access. However, prior to April, I only exceeded the FAP on two or three occasions. Something changed in April (still unable to get a clear explanation) and all of the sudden, Im exceeding the FAP two to three times a WEEK. My internet habits havent changed. HughesNets computation and handling of their FAP has changed. I cant get a straight answer as to what changed or why and the customer service responses are totally unacceptable. Right now, Im being punished with a FAP slap down for 24 hours because I dared to visit a couple of photography websites for about four hours last night. I tried calling HughesNet for assistance earlier today. I even tried to upgrade my service (service sucks so buy more service and pay extra!). After over TWO HOURS on the phone, I got no resolution, no upgrade, and conflicting answers. Below is a summary of my calls: Called 866-347-3292, navigated through their cumbersome voice mail screening. Finally got a person after selecting the upgrade my service option. I was informed that an upgrade from home to pro with my current modem would add $30 to my bill. However, they could overnight me an upgraded modem at no charge and then the upgraded service would only be $10 extra per month. HOWEVER, nothing could be done to lift the FAP ban I am currently under. Well, that was unacceptable, so I asked for a supervisor. Supervisor came on line after several minutes on hold. He repeated all the same nonsense and blamed me for increased usage that was unfair to their other users. I offered to solve their concerns over my excess usage by cancelling my account. Well, Im over a barrel because I need high speed service. So, I request that he process the deal for the free modem upgrade and upgrade me to pro for the extra $10. Ill just have to suffer until the new modem arrives. He says OK and transfers me to billing. Billing representative came on line after several minutes on hold. Went through all the same crap with her. She is very sympathetic and explained that their complaints have SKYROCKETED since April when some sort of unintended program change DRAMATICALLY altered the way the FAP was calculated and enforced. The explanation was over my head. According to her, their tech department is trying to fix the glitch. It was clear from talking to her that the entire problem is THEIR FAULT, yet the only solution was for me to pay more. WOW! They screw up and cant fix it so they expect their customers to cut their usage or pay more. Oh well, Im at their mercy, so sign me up for the upgrade. Then she explains that she cant honor the upgrade offer quoted to me by the first guy. She says shell have to transfer me BACK to that department for them to process the upgrade. More time on hold. Finally, another service rep picks up. I give him my two case numbers and go through everything AGAIN. Hes a little briefer. Just says he cant help and sends me BACK to billing. Hold some more. Billing agent picks up. I go through everything once more. She cant comprehend or process the upgrade and says she has to transfer me somewhere else. At this point, Ive been on the phone over two hours and insist that she STAY on the line and give my info and requests to the next agent. Im tired of repeating myself. She agrees and places me on hold. I hold another thirty minutes, then the line is disconnected. WHAT THE HECK CAN I DO? Even when I surrender to their extortion, I still cant get them to upgrade my service. My advice: DONT USE HUGHES Daryl Terlingua, TexasU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Direcway
Jun 24 2007
Hughesnet ripoff The promise of high speed is a joke Internet
I am just confirming that hughesnet is a ripoff, and I am still in it, and trying to figure out what to do. I do not want to pay the termination fee, but I am at the point where I will to just get rid of the service. I really could paste the other person's complaint to mine, because my experience is the same. the other person's complaint is Direcway, but they have changed over to Hughesnet, and that is when my problems began. Debbie Campbellsport, WisconsinU.S.A.
Apr 30 2008
Hughesnet Broadband unbound my Beeeppp!!! Prosperity Internet
I am so tired of using Hughesnet!! This company is steadily ripping off there customers! I would be glad to to get 3 hours of steady streaming and I can if I stay up untill 4:00 a.m. Instead I get to wait 4 minutes for my email to open @ 11:00 in the morning so I can file this ripoff report!! I have had faster dialup connections. Add to that a cap on what you can download, 2-3 min for pages to open, no connection whatsoever if there is a cloud in the sky, yes a cloud(1), and a constant stream of uplink error reports when you sign on(web accelerator client down upstream tps 515.somethinmajigger) and you really get tired of trying to use the piece of crap! Broadband Unbound is how it's advertised right? Should be more like Broadband we take more money and provide crappier service while telling your it's a problem with your computer! Do Not Buy This Product!!! Will prosperity, South CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Prosperity, Internet
Jul 08 2008
Hughesnet poor service tech non-support SLOW SPEEDS Germantown Maryland
I started with hughesnet in january and have been getting slower speeds since. Tried tech support but i can't speak indian so it's a wash. I finally got to a supervisor today and was told that theres nothing they can do. I do feel a little better hearing something different than delete your cookies, do speed test for 3 days, how many lights are flashing on modem?,it's your equipment, etc. Now my e-mail is turning on me too. All of a sudden powerpoint will not open . For those of you pondering hughesnet, don't run toward the light- it's an oncoming train....... I smell a class action coming and it couldn't happen to a better company. Sign me up today. Patrick BROOKWOOD, AlabamaU.S.A.
Mar 11 2013
HughesNet Fraudulent charge to my checking account Germantown, Maryland
I ordered service through hughes in 2007. To start off with they are way overpriced and slow as hades.  I paid 120.00 a month for two years, the regular price was 80.00 but they made me pay for my equipment for the first two years. I have moved 3 times and Hughes charged me 325.00 each time. That in itself is outrageous. Anyway, I decided to go with a local company for internet in December of 2012, and cancelled my service with hughes. They told me that I had to send my equipment back to them, because I had leased it. BULL!! so I argued with them and they said ok, I see where you purchased the equipment. and I thought that was the end of it. NOT! On March 6, 2013 they billed my checking account for 319.50 for the equipment. So back on the phone for hours to argue that I had PURCHASED my equipment and I wanted the money back in my account, cause there was no way I was going to pay twice for my equipment. They finally relented after about three hours and said it would be back in my account in three days, and to call back in three days. As of today, 3 days later, I have still not received my money, so back on the phone I they are telling me 7 business days before I get it back in my account and in the meantime, I am going to bounce all over the place and cannot pay a couple of my bills, so now a late charge for them as well!! It sure didn't take them 7 business days to charge my account, why does it take 7 days to put it back? This is the 21st century by God! How do people go about a class action lawsuit?
Dec 08 2013
HughesNet Not providing service as advertised - terrible internet Germantown Maryland
Upon seeing the advertisements and speaking with the Hughesnet install department, they assured us that their internet service is great for surfing the web, and social media sites, and streaming videos, games etc.Their service can not support interactive media sites such as Facebook and will not load the pages properly or even upload a picture at times. We have had continual problems since it was installed, have spent countless hours on the phone with tech support to no avail. They finally agreed to send a new modem and now the problem is wose than ever. I am calling to have the service uninstalled and if I get charged the termination fee for breaking my contract I will sue them and take them to court as they are the ones in default of thier contract.  This is the worst internet service out there and nothing they do and not amount of reseting the signal works.They insisted that it was my computer, so we went out and bought a NEW $600 computer... then they said it was the Router...well NO not buying a new router as all web sites say that a Cisco is compatible.After months of complaining and giving me a 1 mo free upgrade to the highest service plan, it got better, then once my free month was up and I want back to my regular plan $59/mo it got worse that ever. They refuse to send out a technician to check the dish or terminal without charging us and say that it is testing fine on their end. CarolDandridge,Tennessee
May 30 2014
Hughesnet Debited my account when I canceled their sorry service Nationwide
 I ordered hughesNet satellite service in August of 2013 and I have never been able to use the system so in January I canceled my subscription and was told I would have to pay an early disconnection fee.  I argued this profusely and thought we had agreed that I would not be charged! HA! They just debited my account for 252.00. I was never able to use their services yet I had paid month after month for a non existing internet service. Buyer Beware this is the biggest scam out there. After doing a lot of yelling and arguing they finally are going to return half of my money, I figured a half is more than I have now. I would love to start a class action suit against this company. This is not how you conduct business!
May 14 2014
 Hello. My whole experience with a HughesNet has been HORRIBLE almost right from the start. One of their contractors sold us a good game of talk on the phone when my husband and I were deciding on using their Internet services for our home. What suckers we were!! We found out that HughesNet likes to hide information from their customers as they try to sell their products. Their sales contractors do not explain terms and conditions and extra charges to their customers when making their initial sales. We were charged $100 extra for our equipment over the price we were quoted. When I demanded to know why, one of their reps have me some bogus explanation. HughesNet automatic debits your card without telling you up front they're doing this in the beginning. I caught them on this particular issue with my debit card. I told them NO and that I NEVER AUTHORIZED THIS. I wanted paper billing. They will not refund you your money a timely manner if you cancel. I was told I has to wait 45 days for a refund!!! I was furious! There is nothing in their legal section saying what time frame you can expect a refund. It always states if their equipment is returned within 45 days, you can get a refund. Nothing SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT IT TAKES 45 ACTUAL DAYS TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK. Absolutely unacceptable to me. Also, I'm only getting half the money I put into HughesNet. I only had their services for approximately 10 to 12 days! I paid everything up front and ON TIME. But unfortunately, I get only half. HughesNet SUCKS. RUN RUN RUN PEOPLE. DO NOT USE HUGHESNET EVER!!!! Please do your research up front with internet service providers. It will save you so much hassle and you won't be like me, writing a RIPOFF REPORT.
Entity: GERMANTOWN, Maryland
Oct 07 2013
Entity: Monroe, North Carolina
94, Report #1201474
Jan 13 2015
hughesnet they lie about free trial Internet
 I wanted to get rid of my phone co. and save money with vonage or basic talk and get faster internet. Hughesnet promised they could help with a pre-paid free 30 day trial. I gave them credit card and bought equipment from them, cause it's cheaper to buy longterm instead of renting. I tried them for 20 days and called to cancel. It did not work out. They said send equipment back, I did. no refund on cc statement after a month. I called and they said they did not recieve I gave tracking info. they said they did not have a 30 day trial. I disputed the charge, they re-charged. Don't trust them at all
Mar 20 2013
HughesNet WORST COMPANY EVER--horrible customer service Internet
HughesNet has the worst customer service I have ever encountered; I have been trying for over 3 hours to cancel my accounts, and it is impossible to do so.  Call centers are in India, the Philippines, Texas....but you will always get routed to India eventually.  The calls are disconnected, dorpped, cut off, or you are placed on hold for 30+ minutes. Account managers in India use phony American names and some barely speak English (one couldn't read the account numbers and had to bring someone else over to do it).  It takes days of repeated calls to accomplish anything, and you get the same excuses every time.  My favorite is, I'll stay on the line with you and make sure you get to the proper person. Good luck with that--they are only allowed to stay on the line for 3 minutes and you will never get through in 3 minutes!!! And why are we cancelling our business service?  Very poor performance, slow service, bandwidth is not as offered, very high cost for poor servce provided, and.....the worst customer service I have ever encountered.  My business would go under in a matter of weeks if I treated customers the way HughesNet does.  IMO, this company should have their license revoked.
Apr 14 2013
3 years ago I had HugesNet for my internet provider and when I signed up they said if I bought the equipment, when I completed my 2 year commitment they would buy the equipment back for $200 if I return it to them. After my 2 year commitment was up I called HughesNet to cancel and get instructions for my refund. I was told they do not offer that anymore.  I called a few days ago and talked to a salesman pretending to be interested in using HughesNet. The salesman told me if I purchased my equipment they would buy it back after my 2 year commitment.  I then told him what was going on and he said that I should get my refund.  He gave me a number to call 866-347-3292 for instructions on returning my equipment.  The man gave me all the information and this RMA ID#1500827-0005. I sent the equipment to them and they received it 04/08/2013. I called them on 04/14/13 and spoke with a man named ASIS and they said they will not give me my refund. Thankyou
Entity: GAITHERSBURG, Maryland
Apr 15 2013
hughesnet gen4 rip off not worth the lies Internet
 Hughesnet gen4 are not telling the truth about anything. When they get on the phone they sale you a bunch of lies. My internet didn't work for almost a month called customer care to talk with a Technician and they said that I used up my allowed internet usage. Im paying $70 a month an Im limited to the internet. Then I keep asking how much was an upgrade they couldn't tell me. So my bill didn't get paid an I call them an ask what's the problem they said your bill is now $110. I never received a bill ever and when I wanted to take my card off file they're going to charge $5 extra. Who does business like that. I will never send anyone to them ever. They just lost my business after today. They are horrible business people.
Jan 03 2013
Hughesnet Gen4 False advertising and deceptive practices, Internet
Beware of Hughesnet Gen 4 as they promise you the moon during the sales call but fail to deliver what they promise. Get all offers in writing for everything they promise before you give them a credit card or be prepaired to cancel the card when they refuse to live up to their promise. Waiting times are measure in hours to get through to anyone except the sales department. They have no concept of customer service. I still cannot log onto their customer portal and after 3.5 hours of waiting and being bounced around they gave up and said try again some other time!The bottom line is if your only ISP is dial up then carefully conside their product but expect to be riped-off for the service.
Feb 08 2013
Hughesnet Hughsnet charged my credit card $481.15 for free installation Internet
Hughsnet is a big ripoff do not give them your credit or debit card information. Here is what they have done to me so far ; I was told that by giving them my deit card it would only be used for credit information and not be charged except after installation which was supposed to be free and after installation it would be only for the first moths service of $59.99 plus tax. They also mentioned I could get a instant rebate of $200.00 thus costing me $200.00 should I decide to purchase the equipment and that If I decided to go that route which I didnt I could put it on another credit card not my debit card.I was told that by one of their local installers. The installer showed up Dec. 21 2012 installed the internet dish and by the way it was dark outside. It took them a whole 20 minutes and they just laid the cable on the ground and by the way the dish is pointed directly at my power line coming into the house which probably accounts for the lousy service. The installer had me sign saying this was to show he had installed the service and I asked him about my bill how do I pay and I asked and he said I would get a bill no money needed today and I thought how nice until on Dec 24th yes Christmas Eve and I had been shopping of course My Checking account went crazy and I saw this charge from Hughesnet for $481.15 I about had a stroke. I called them and the bank after Christmas holidays which were horrible by the way because of the turmoil Hughsnet caused me with my checking account. I called the bank cancelled my card and tried to get my money back but no luck. I called Hughsnet to cancel and was told that would cost over $400.00 and the person on the phone agreed that if I purchased the equipment the would give me the $200.00 instant credit I was promised which by the way is no such thing the instant credit is a rebate which must be sent off after your second billing statement. The instant credit turned into a charge not a credit and they have turned off my internet service and now want another $275.00 and some change ! Thank goodness I cancelled my debit card or they would have charged me another $275.00. I am not paying it ! They have even threatened collections so please avoid Hughsnet by the way the credit they gave me was supposed to give me 4 months of service free basically at $49.99 What a ripoff !! Buyer Beware !! That is a lot of money to pay for 30 days of internet service and was also a lure (lie) to keep me from cancelling before my thirty days
Jan 07 2014
Hughesnet Worst Internet service I have ever used! Colorado
 Hughesnet is without a doubt the absolute worst Internet service I have ever signed up for. Have had service for just over a month now. Constantly booted off in the middle of trying to do business ( professional or personal). As bad as dial-up in speed. Then there is their fair use baloney. You only get a certain amount of use for downloading. They allow an arbitrary limit to make sure you don't use more than your so-called fair share, and if you do - poof - you're cut off, put in time-out, sent to the corner! You CANNOT watch any videos, movies, etc. without paying for tokens which allow you another 24 or so hours of use. So, the quoted price you signed up for is increased by the amount of tokens you buy to continue use. I'm sure this minor detail is somewhere in the fine print of the contract I foolishly signed, so now I need to try and save $400 to cancel this asinine situation. Do not, repeat, NOT subject yourself to Hughesnet Lowspeed Joke internet service. wish I had heeded the warnings of other victims.
Entity: Select State/Province