PEP BOYS Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: PEP Boys

There may be more reports for "PEP Boys"

For more results perform a general search for "PEP Boys"

Showing 26-50 of 3,045 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "PEP Boys"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Jan 03 2010
Pep Boys Rebate Ripoff Skokie, Illinois
On a number of occasions I've purchased car stuff from these guys and applied for the rebates (as advertised). They never pay off. Nothing. An acknowledgement saying the products purchased do not qualify. I'm an experienced rebater and I know the drill very well. Calling the fools doesn't resolve anything. I even had the cashier verify the purchase and items qualified, got the proper forms, etc. etc. They are a THIRD RATE RIPOFF! I own three cars  and do most of my own repairs and all of my own maintainance and I assure you I will not shop there ever again. Avoid this company like the plague. Reading the rest of the complaints should give you an idea about their incredibly poor service and management. Whatever products or service they sell, you can get it somewhere else for less.
Entity: Skokie, Illinois
Jan 15 2012
Pep Boys Rebate Ripoff Holmdel, New Jersey
This is the second time that I submitted rebate paperwork for items purchased at Pep Boys. Both times I recieved a post card stating that the store reciept did not show the rebate item. I know that the paperwork was complete and correct.It is not worth spending hours of wasted time on the phone, trying to convince Pep Boys that I am right. Instead I will bite the bullet for the $20 that they ripped me off for. I WILL NEVER SHOP AT PEP BOYS AGAIN !!!There are six auto parts stores within five miles of my house. They all charge around the same price for parts or are less expensive than Pep Boys after you calculate in the the fact that your rebate will never be paid to you.
Entity: Holmdel, New Jersey
Jan 19 2012
Pep Boys Brake Repair Ripoff Peoria, Arizona
Here is another blatant ripoff attempt. My  daughter (8 months pregant) takes her car into Pep Boys to get an oil change. When she goes to pick it up, the tell her that they refuse to release the car because the brakes need to be fixed.  They tell her that it will cost $260.  They will not give her the keys unless she pays for a tow to another service station or hand over a credit card. When she insists they tell her that they will call the police. (My daugther breaks down into tears) I had to show up and confront the service manager, Bryan.  He insist that the brake pads are to thin and it is a hazard driving the car. (Note my daughter's fiance is a mechanic and he is waiting at their apartment complex to replace the brake pads. Parts dealer says the enrie brakes need to be replaced. Our mechanic says just the pads need to be changed. The service manager will not back off until I insist that the police be called so that i can document the case so that i can personally sue  Bryan for extortion.  He finally backs off and releases the car. What is almost as bad is that when i called customer service, the 1-800 desk says they will take the complaint and send it to the service manager for a response. They will not allow me to talk to ANYONE else... not anyone in customer support, no managers, not even the help desk supervisor. Calling corporate HQ is not better, all telephone numbers only have recordings. Corporate offices you need to dial an extension or type in a name. (So i looked up the PEP BOYS Annual report on the web, looke dup the Officers of the company, the executive staff and the names of all the VPs. Dialing into the corporate phone directory, I proceeded to leave messages for the CEO, CFO< 6 executive VP, half the board of the directors and the top 16 shareholders of the company. Finally, the CFO called me back, put me in touch with a person, who apologized and offered me a $350 free brake job in recompense. Bad news, they see a young pregnant girl as decide she is an easy mark. They tell her she has to fork out $260 or they will impound her vehicle and call the police to have her arrested. Worse news is that their customer support system is designed to prevent customers from reaching anyone except the help desk and the manager that tried to extort the poor girl. Good news, is that if you cant work from the bottom up... start again at the top and work DOWN You would be amazed at how much attention you can get. Last item...  never did figure out why they removed the tires to see worn brakes when se went in for an oil change.  Fishing? Witch hunt for work? or changing good pads for old to justify extra work Not a good place to deal with. Stay away. p.s. the real number to get through to customer support for Pep Boys is 215-430-9897 Executive Director Customer Service...don't waste your time at the help desk
Entity: Peoria, Arizona
Jan 18 2012
pep boys Allignment Fraud brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Pep Boys should never be allowed to work on your car!My father took his truck in for a wheel alignment. He was quoted $79.99. The tech said that a front end alignment consisted of Toe, Camber and Caster.He got a call that they wanted $200 to do the alignment because the camber needed adjustment. The camber is adjusted on this model by loosening the upper control arm bolts and prying the arm a fraction of an inch to ensure that the wheel is in the correct position to vertical. Smelling the scam in the air, he said just do the work you quoted me for. We had an interesting conversation when we went to pick up the truck. I grilled the guy about the difference between a wheel alignment and what he admitted Pep Boys calls a Toe & Go. Basicially screw you if we need to do a real wheel alignment, we are going to charge you for an additional hour of labor and a parts kit. Well there is no parts kit. GMC's have a cammed bolt that gets turned and that's it. The General comments on the invoice say VEHICLE HAS CAMBER ISSUE, CUSTOMER DECLINED ADJUSTMENT, VEHICLE MAY STILL WEAR TIRES, ALSO STEERING WHEEL OFF CENTER DUE TO CAMBER SETTINGS BEING OFFSteering wheel centering has nothing to do with camber settings. The steering wheel is off center due to the fact that the tech adjusted the toe incorrectly.Thanks Pep Boys Please contact me if you have a shop you wish to send me to for a correct alignment.I forwarded this to Robert Sammons Pep Boys corporate Vice President
Entity: brookhaven, Pennsylvania
May 08 2011
Pep Boys Bumbling Employees Temecula, California
I ordered a part. When I went to pick it up, I discovered that they had ordered the part for the wrong engine for my vehicle. They could not apply a credit to the proper part, so their procedure is to refund and then repurchase the correct part. I did not have my receipt with me at the time I went to pick up the part so they could not do the refund. They kept the part. I was told that upon my return that there would be no problems. I returned with the receipt but now they have misplaced the part and will not refund me. I waited for 45 minutes while Bill Johnson and staff tried to locate the part.Bill Johnson kept telling me it was his job on the line. I guess everyone is at Pep Boys is fearful of their job. Their job takes precedence over customer satisfaction. Keep doing this to customers, you will loose them all and no one will have jobs. I know you already lost me as a customer. I was a long time customer.Resolution Sought: Immediate refund of $159.84 in cash as paid plus compensation for time spent at store waiting and travel to store.Date Problem Started: 5/8/2011Date of Transaction: 4/17/2011Amount in Dispute: $159.84Invoice Number: 080010100884520
Entity: Temecula, California
Jan 17 2011
Pep-Boys Misleading, dishonest, shameful conduct. Monrovia, California
I went toPep-boys, monrovia to take advantage of their 4 tires for the price of 3 after my son had telephoned them to check pricing,Iliked the price$120.99 each, and agreed to have an oil change done as well,when I finially paidtheinvoice they had added $132.80 to the total, which I was to find out was for tire insurance, install etc. at no time was I informed about these charges (until I complained), and no signs weredisplayed to inform me. My concerns; my son or I were never told about the additional installation package, there were no visible SIGNS stating this charge. No paperwork was given to us (until after the job was completed)stating the charges.I told Alex and the manager that his assistant manager was not being Honest about telling me or myson on the telephone about the extra charges. This happened and I was over $130 out of pocket, to me it is not about the money, it's about honesty in advertising and other people who do not have the money available, being totally mislead and stretching themselves as they have no other option as the work has been done. This is easily fixed with a sign large enough for customers to see and Pep-boy salespeople making it clear that they charge an additional fee for install etc.
Entity: Monrovia, California
Oct 22 2012
Pep boys Unprofessional Lawrenceville, Georgia
I went to the local pep boys the other day due to my daughters car not running correctly, and the check engine light being on. The person behind the counter listened to my concerns and wrote up my vehicle for a diagnostic, as I would assume they do for all people looking to have their cars serviced.After a very long wait I get told that they can't do the diagnostic on my car because its older than 1996. At first I was furious due to the fact they made me wait so long just to tell me this. Then I started to kind of feel like they didn't want my business because I wasn't driving a shiny newer car. I will admit I was obviously upset.At this point the service manager came out to talk to me and a man came out from behind the counter to inquire why I was unhappy. The salesman named William told me he was very sorry for the misunderstanding, and after clearing it with the service manager, told me he would personally do my diagnostic free of charge. I explained I had to pick up my other child from school and didn't have any more time, to which William replied that if I could come by after he would take care of me immediately.Upon returning to the store, William met me in the parking lot before I even made it away from my car! Took my keys and pulled it straight in! He performed the diagnostic and explained it to me in a way I understood. He told me best and worst case with my cars issue, and recommended a tune up. Unfortunately he found I also had a low cylinder in my car. He said the tune up would help, which he was correct about, but that I was looking at a more major issue that I would need to address soon. He was very nice, explained it all in language I understood, and even made it a point to show me the old parts so I didn't feel like I was being taken.If you need help with your vehicle talk to him. Otherwise be careful who you talk to in this store. Money is too hard to come by these days and time is equally valuable.
Entity: Lawrenceville, Georgia
Jul 03 2012
Pep Boys state inspection rip off Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I dropped my car off at Pep Boys, 4571 McKnight Road, 15237? for a state inspection. The car was well taken care of and I didnt expect any issues. An hour later Ricky from Pep Boys called to tell me that the check engine light came on and it will cost me $90 to diagnose it. He was extremely rude, tried to educate me on Pennsylvania laws regarding state inspection, and even implied that I lied about the condition of the car when I dropped it off. I asked Ricky what is the error code and all I got was a sleazy response that it gives us an idea where to look at and that I really need to pay for it. I refused to pay for the diagnosis but was still forced to pay ~$30 for the failed inspection. When took the car home and googled the error code I found out that it is a coolant temperature issue, which could have a number of possible causes, none of which seemed worth $90. Long story short, I checked what I could myself (temperature sensors, thermostat, etc), couldn't find anything wrong with it, cleared the errors triggering the check engine light, used the car for about 2 weeks / 500 miles, and took it to another place for the state inspection. It passed the inspection without issues and 2000 miles later the check engine light has not come back on. I can't help but think that Pep Boys mechanics triggered the error code somehow - maybe just by being clueless but possibly deliberately (unplugged the sensor perhaps?). Such attempts to coerce customers into paying for fixing nonexistent problems are disgusting. Even though my financial loss in this interaction was small (the cost of the failed inspection), I will stay away from Pep Boys from now on and will advise anyone I know to do the same.
Entity: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
34, Report #200528
Jul 11 2006
Pep Boys Auto ripoff North Hollywood California
Hi : I have a problem with Pep Boys Lankershim branch in CA. I need your help. Can you please direct me to who I can talk, email or send a letter to? I Googled the CEO Larry Stevenson and I couldnt find any address for him. Here are copies of emails sent to them without any answer: This is my first email sent to your company on 07/11/06. I went for a heater core repair. The mechanic Martinez, broke the cup holder in the interior and they didn't informed me. The most important is that this repairman left the speedometer stuck and is not working as well as the changing gears handle is completely lose. Yesterday I almost had an accident on the freeway as I didn't know at what speed I was going. Since Saturday evening I am calling the store. I spoke several times with David and he told me that I needed to wait for the service manager Mike. Mike was on vacation since Saturday. Yesterday I called 1900 PepBoys and I spoke with Rick. He told me that the store was going to call me. I called the store this morning and Mike, the service manager talked very rude to me and told me that he can't estimate time or day of repair the car. I work for a living and I need an estimate. Also, I paid for a service oil leak diagnostic pkg that they didn't perform. When I went to pick up my car on 07/08/2006, they tried to charge me the service anyway. I had to argument with David about it. I am sending this email to Better Business Bureau, CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC to the investigative team of reporters. My next step will be a Superior Court of the State of CA with a Jury to estimate in a Civil case the compensation. ******************* This morning I went with the car to the store and I spoke with Chris, the service manager. I explained to him that the speedometer was working perfectly until they took my car for repairs. This man, Chris talked to me in a very rude manners and in front of his AM, Mike and 3 or 4 mechanics, he yelled to me and told me that he didn't have nothing to do with the speedometer and get out of there. I am a 61 years old lady that doesn't want to argue and never in a public environment. I left and I took the car to another PepBoys store located in Burbank. I explained to the manager there the problem with the speedometer and also I told him about the heater core repair. Without mentioned who did the repair I asked if it was possible that the speedometer was damaged. He said YES, that is very common for the mechanic doing the removal of the dashboard to disconnect one of the 2 cables connecting the speedometer. I went back to PepBoys sore 854 and the manager said that he was going to check the car to see the cables disconnected. Twenty minutes later he called me, showed me my car and a lose cable and told me that that cable was disconnected for long time and the speedometer cannot be working at all. Also, he told me that to change the heater core in my car they didn't need to remove the whole dashboard, only the glove compartment. I spoke with the Buick dealer in they said that this Buick Skylark 1983 has a whole dashboard and cannot be removed separately. So, your store manager was lying and guessing answers. I AM A 61 YEARS OLD LADY, working for a living, decent and honest in my behavior and business transactions. I NEVER, EVER SAW, IN MY 61 YEARS OF LIFE, somebody more dishonest and immorally wrong as these people in store 854. Chris is Hispanic and he was talking in Spanish with the mechanic without knowing that I understand perfectly Spanish as I have a BA in Literature in Spanish. He was saying to the mechanic this old woman... in a Spanish term very demeaning and insulting. I don't know what is your business practices and I hear that is bad, but you are going to lose more than the decent attitude to repair my car to the condition that I was brought to your store. 1) I DEMAND THAT THE SPEEDOMETER OF MY CAR IS REPAIR IN THE CONDITION THAT WAS BROUGHT TO YOUR STORE. 2) I DEMAND THAT THE HANDLE TO CHANGE GEARS BE REPAIR IN THE CONDITION THAT IT WAS WHEN I BROUGHT THE CAR TO YOUR STORE. 3) I DEMAND THE REPLACEMENT OF THE CUP HOLDER THAT THE MECHANIC DAMAGED AT YOUR STORE. Stelle North Hollywood, CaliforniaU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on PepBoys
Entity: Nationwide
Mar 03 2008
Pep Boys rebate rip-offs Austin Texas
I purchased 4 generators from 2 pep boys locations in austin, Tx in July of 07. The products came with 20.00 rebates on each. I mailed in the rebate papers (2) making sure all required info was furnished. I never heard from pep boys so I called to follow up and was told that they had issued a check for one but the check hadn't been cashed so they would re-issue the check and I would recieve it in about 10 days. The other rebate they said they never recieved. I told them that was strange as I mailed them both in the same envelope. They told me to fax a copy to the resubmit Dept and It would be processed and I would recieve a check in about 10 days,sound familiar? Well after not hearing or recieving the promised checks I decided to call corporate. Should have known better as I was told to call the rebate center. I asked to speak to someone else but my request was refused and I was told only the rebate center could help me as pep boys corporate had nothing to do with rebates. I am going to make one more attempt to resolve this via certified mail and if that doesn't work I'm going to print up some flyers about my experience and distribute them to customers at the two locations involved. Needless to say I've spent my last dollar with pep boys! Gary c austin, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Austin, Texas
Mar 10 2008
Pep Boys Fraudulent Billing Brookhaven Pennsylvania
I went to Pep Boys in Brookhaven for the first time and was very optimistic. I wanted to get my car inspected and buy some tires. They service people were very helpful, especially Bob. I was called with an estimate of my charges and gave them a go ahead to complete the work. When the work was done, I was directed to the cashier to pay my bill. I handed him the envelope and was charged an amount less than my phone quote. Since I was in a hurry, I didn't question it - - I presented my credit card, was asked to see my ID and then signed for payment. I was also given a receipt. The next day I received three acusatory phone calls stating that I never paid my bill and was left a message that they would pursue litigation if I did not call in quickly. When I checked my receipt, I had been charged for someone elses purchase. I won't be going to Pep Boys again. Consumer01 Aston, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Entity: Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Oct 06 2007
PEP BOYS TIRE REBATE SCAM Brookhaven Pennsylvania
Pep boys runs a national tire promotion of buy three tires and get 1 free. You have to pay for 4 tires and buy their road hazard and premium mount and balance to qualify. Then you submit a form and they send you back the price of 1 tire. After purchasing my first set I asked if there was a limit on how many offers I could get and I was told no. We even looked at the rebate form which did not note any restrictions. I returned the following day with another car and bought 4 more tires with road hazard and premium mount and balance. After submitting the second form I was notified that I did not qualify for a second rebate. When I contacted them and told them the store salseman had assured me there was no problem and since the form had no restrictions I should be paid they said its their company policy to only allow one even though they don't disclose that up front. Jr Aston, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Entity: Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Oct 27 2007
Pep Boys Rebate Ripoff Lancaster Pennsylvania
Know why Pep Boys uses rebates instead of just having sales on its' tires? Because it doesn't have to honor the rebates? Pep Boys actually has a third party handle (or not handle) the rebates. When they decline the rebate they give you a phone # you can call. After waiting forever for someone to pick up, they just hang up. So I called the store manager in Lancaster, Pa who admitted to having problems with the Pep Boys rebate system. He promised to call back by the end of the day. That was in May. I don't think he's calling back. Well I don't think I'm ever going back to Pep Boys. Paul Palmyra, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Entity: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Jan 11 2008
Pep Boys Useless, Worthless, Cheats Evansville Indiana
This has been several years ago so I don't know if I could even find the paperwork anymore but I'd like to tell my story anyway. I can't believe there is nothing on this site for this store at this location. I HAD a Plymouth Sundance. It needed a new head gasket. I had taken it to a mechanic but he got sick and almost died so I took it to Pep Boys since they were close. I had never dealt with them before or heard any horror stories at that point. I drove the car in to their store. I was treated nice enough at first. It took a couple of days for my car to be repaired but I was willing to wait. I don't mind waiting as long as the work is done properly. I was specific about what needed done although I did not mind their doing a computer scan. If there were any other problems I preferred to know about them. I was phoned and told my car was done. My mom went with me when I paid and drove my car home. They did try to charge me for having the car towed to them but I quickly disabused them of that notion. I knew I had driven it in and I refused to pay that. I live about 20 miles or so from the shop. When I was about 5 miles from home, I looked in my rearview mirror and couldn't even see my mom behind me for all the smoke. I immediately pulled off the road and raised my hood. I don't know a lot about cars but I do know some. My brother has always worked on cars and I used to help. Anyway, I couldn't see anything glaringly wrong, and having just paid quite a bit to have it fixed, I didn't have much money and decided to chance driving the car home. What would 5 more miles do? I called Pep Boys as soon as I got home and told them about the problem with it smoking. I was told that it was normal and was probably just some oil on the engine burning off. I told them that it was NOT normal and that it was not just a LITTLE bit of smoke. They finally told me to DRIVE it back to the shop and they would look at it. I told them I wouldn't drive it but I would have it towed there. It was towed back to the shop. They told me that they would check it out right away. I called several times over the next few days to see what they had discovered. Either no one knew, they had to check, or it wasn't done and they would call me when it was. Finally I was told that it was done. I had a friend take me from work to their shop. When I got there I was told that they hadn't even started work on it!! I told them that it had been there for several days and I expected someone to do something about it. I told them that my friend had brought me to their shop but it was very far out of her way to take me home. Had I known the car wasn't ready, I would have had a way home. I ended up leaving the car there again. A few days later, I was again told that my car was fixed. When I arrived this time, I was again told that they had not even started on it!! I demanded that they get it fixed right then. They told me they were waiting on their best mechanic to work on it. When the guy finally walked in, HE WAS THE SAME ONE WHO WORKED ON IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. I explained to them, again, that they had worked on it, they were supposed to have fixed the oil leak, they had done diagnostic testing on it, and I had been assured when I picked it up the first time that I would have no more leaks. They told me they had checked everything out and they had billed me the first time for SUPPOSEDLY checking out my engine for leaks. When the car was finally done, I was presented with a bill. I was charged for taking the engine apart again along with fixing a part THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN CHECKED OUT THE FIRST TIME. I told them that I would not pay to have my car taken apart again when they should have fixed this the first time. I told them that they should have been paying me for the tow bill and all my lost time because of their incompetence. The first manager I talked to offered me a 10% discount and said that was the best she could do. I told her I wouldn't deal with her if that was all she could do and that I wanted to speak to someone who could actually do something. The next manager I spoke to said he could offer me a 20% discount but that was the best that he could do. I finally ended up with the 20% discount, some time discounted, and the tow bill charge removed. Everyone in the store that day knew about my problem, though. I am very aggressive when someone tries to make me look like an idiot or tries to tell me that I don't have a clue about anything just because I am female. I stated that I would never come back to the store again and that I would tell everyone I knew never to go there. Buzzy Wadesville, IndianaU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on PepBoys
Entity: Evansville, Indiana
Jun 08 2008
Pep Boys Rebate Dundalk Maryland
After shopping around for 4 tires for my wifes car, I settled on Pep Boys in Dundalk Md. because they were advertising buy 3, get one free on their top line tires...had the 4 tires installed for $366 and change and was given a guarantee page with an address of the rebate company in Texas...mailed in the receipt for the tires with the rebate guarantee and 1 year later, haven't received anything...sent copies of documents several times with no money sent and no response...tried to go to Pep Boys customer service page and it has a message that this site is down...it has been down for over a year now...I can live without the $75 rebate, but because of the lies I was fed by the company, I will no longer buy anything from Pep Boys...I have been a customer there for 40 years spending thousands of dollars...no more...they can screw somebody else...thanks Pep Boys for treating a loyal customer this way (maybe I should have said EX customer)...lying and cheating people has become the American way for businesses in this country... Ripoff victim Baltimore, MarylandU.S.A.
Entity: Dundalk, Maryland
Jun 19 2008
Pep Boys ex employee Philadpelphia Pennsylvania
Being a former employee of the past year, i would like to let everyone know what really goes on First of all, yes we were on a flag rate system, witch never worked to my advantage and you had to keep track of your work or you would be short changed. managers and some employees do get bonuses, and or spiffs(money for selling) and other added money for selling certain items or services, usually on a monthly basis. You are NEVER paid overtime, exempt they say. I was never exempt before. Hence the lawsuit. The pay differential between Managers and everyone else was very wide. The employement hiring process was a revolving door, every few months or sooner, someone would get fired for somthing stupid , then a new person would come in. You see a dozen or more new hires in a year or less. the company does not pay well, correctly and at times , treats you like dung. Does the company rip people off, well with the bonuses, spiffs and other money they pay for added repairs, you be the judge. i do know my manger made 3 or more times what i made and the district manager probably double the manager. Having some business training, i could not figure out how this company: stayed in business as long as they have, keeps any personel with any intelligence,is able to sleep at night knowing they are cheating their employees and sells accesiories and motorized machines that are pure junk out of the box. As one of my managers used to say, this is the end of the road for many people,as far as employees goes. think of this when you visit, if you deside to take the chance. Buy your spark plugs and oil here. Throw those rebate forms away. And do not ever have a major repair done here. you will be sorry. I am not digruntled, just sad that they let me down in many ways and treated me poorly. How does that saying? you can not fly with eagles when your surrounded by turkeys. If the company did not care about me or my paycheck, do you really think most of the people working their really care about your car? You be the judge. Ford fixer los angles, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: Philadpelphia, Pennsylvania
Oct 09 2013
Pep Boys Misleading Advertising Ventura California
 I went into this location with a coupon ( $19.99) that promised a free multipoint inspection and tire rotation. I was told by the manager that it would take an hour. My vehicle sat in the parking lot for over 30 minutes as I waited. The manager kept trying to sell me other parts ( engine filter, wipers) but I was in a hurry so I just asked for the service promised. Finally my vehicle was pulled into the garage, but the mechanic who was working on my car soon left it to work on another car. After another 30 minutes, I asked when my car would be finished. My vehicle was finally pulled out of the garage and parked. I asked why the tires had not been rotated, and I was told that they only rotate the tires every other oil change. I also never received any report on the multipoint inspection , which I expected would cover fluids, tires, and brakes. I Have the impression that the intention of Pep Boys oil changes is to sell customers other parts. If you don't buy extra parts, they delay service to work on other cars. I won't be going back there again.
Entity: Ventura, California
Jun 12 2014
Pep Boys Could have been prevented! Tujunga California
   I took my car to be serviced at the Pep Boys located at 6511 Foothill Blvd Tujunga, CA 91042 earlier this week to change the spark plugs and get the coolant flushed, which was recommended. I did not have any problems with my car prior to bringing it in. Today as I was driving to work, I saw steam coming out of my hood and I immediately looked at the dashboard and saw that the temperature gauge was already in the H area, red. I exited the freeway right away and parked and opened the hood and there was coolant everywhere. I called Pep Boys and spoke with Gus (the original person who helped me, and store manager) who told me to bring the car in and suggested I call AAA. I called the roadside assistance that I had but I was only covered for $75 so I would have to pay the rest. When the car arrived at the shop, Gus was there and told me that they would inspect the car and if it turned out to be Pep Boys fault, they would take care of everything. He ended telling me that the hose was cracked and would need to be replaced and that that wasn't the fault of Pep Boys. How could that not have been their fault if my car's cooling system was fine before all of this? Plus they told me they supposedly inspected my car, so wouldn't they have found that hose in the beginning and we would have prevented this? I got my car taken there to prevent this from happening in the beginning. He offered to fix the upper hose for free but told me that I would need to fix for the lower hose out of pocket, which I couldn't do since I lost $300 of wages from missing work that day and had to pay a tow truck an extra $70. Comes to find out that Pep Boys has their own towing company which would have only cost me $30. This was never even mentioned to me by Gus and that was another thing that upset me as well. When me and my husband were speaking with Gus, he mentioned how it was important to change the hoses when servicing a car for 100k miles..Well then why didn't he tell us when we did go there to service our car with the 100K package service? If we had known the hose should have been changed when they flushed the cooling system, then we would have changed it.
Entity: Tujunga, California
Apr 15 2013
Pep boys Unexceptional pricing and WRONG PART Nightmare!!!! Internet
I'm new to Georgia and was having car trouble on Saturday.  I slowing drove into Pep Boys and was advised by them I needed a Control Arm.  I was given a 641.10 quote which was itemized (Labor 448.59, Parts 93.24, other 90.29, tax 8.98) 641.10.  I called around and found a mechanic who towed my car from Pep Boys 55.00, the part Pep Boys said needed replacing was incorrect and the part the new mechanic purchased was 36.90 and he charged me 200.00 to fix my car- total 291.90. And since I'm not from Macon I was not aware of the horrible reputation Pep Boys, Macon had.  Everyone in whom I mentioned this horrific  ordeal ALL said ... Never go there!
Entity: , Internet
Jan 14 2013
Pep BOYS WEBSITE COUPONS KINGWOOD, Texas
I found this coupon for 69.90 for a keyless starter for a car, when I called the phone number of a store near me, they told me that only super stores honnored that coupon and they gave me the number of a super store near me, just to find out that I had to pay for intallation and some other int face products' that' WHEREN'T COVER BY COUPON, WHEN THE COUPON SAID ' INSTALLED AND NO OTHER STIPULATIONS
Entity: KINGWOOD, Texas
May 27 2013
Pep Boys Poor customer service Santee California
I arrived for my scheduled appointment on Monday. Was then informed that the A/C tech only works on Saturdays. They never even checked the appointments in their computer.
Entity: Santee, California
Nov 12 2012
PeP Boys Signal working now not working Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Brought my car to get inspected. They gave me a list of things that needs to be done about 2,000.00 at first, Now would b about 3,000.00. I had a dianostic done for  my highbeams which does not work (paid). This is one of the items that needed to be repair which was one of the last items on my list that I was getting done. I had a friend bring it up there  he called me to tell me that the part was not in & to bring it back. Then we brought it back to find out that was the wrong part (didn't fit) & had to order another part 200.00 extra dollars & bring back in 2 days. Brought it back and my friend was there all day (8hrs) to find out that now my lights (Highbeam, Fog lights & signal) may not work unless I get another part (800.00). But mind you I have had that car since 2003 & the signals work. All of a sudden inside Pepboys while in their Bay the car signal lights no longer work (excuse me I don't believe that). I call the store Manager advise him of my complaint he said that he was going to have the Auto Manager call me (NO ONE called). I believe that the Mechanic knows what he is doing but I believe that he did something that made the signal no longer work & told me NOW I needed to get an ECU.
Entity: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
48, Report #1119998
Jan 31 2014
Pep Boys diag ripoff Santee California
My 1986 Toyota failed smog test.    I heard Pep boys had smog diagnostics.  Spent $139 for diagnostic.( Work Order 08982082115).  Got a Quote for $851.08Took the truck to a shop that replaced the EGR valve and clean up emissions system for a couple hundred bucks.  Re smoged and passed.Wasted 139 bucks at Pep boys,  and didn't need to replace the catalytic ConverterYour diagnostic was a waste
Entity: Select State/Province
Mar 04 2014
Pep Boys AUTO REPAIR BEDFORD Texas
I went to Pep Boys for a fluid check ( $35)  I had a puddle of oil under my truck. They came back with an intake gasket leak and A/T pan gasket leak. They also tried to push 2 new tires and a serpentine belt. I did not ask for this. After backing out the belt and tires the cost was $1070. I picked up my truck. I called 2 more repair shops. One a small regional and one a local guy. the local guy $730  good price would have no issue with this. but the regional shop $570.  conclusion   and its not the first time..... Pep Boys is way over priced and they push repairs that are not needed or asked for
Entity: BEDFORD, Texas
Mar 12 2014
Pep Boys OVER CHARGED, FRAUDULENT CHARGES Phila Pennsylvania
I had bought 4 brand new tires from TireRack.com and on the website they recommended Pep Boys as an installer. This store tried to completely rip us off. They said to change all 4 tires would cost me over $124 and when I asked why would it be so much, the guy starting naming all of these nonsense fees such as outsider fee for the tires. We were missing lug nuts on the front two tires and they refused to change our tires without us replacing the whole lug nut panel for the front two tires for an additional 200 PLUS! Honestly, with buying 4 new tires and expecting to pay $124 for installation, I simply could not afford the extra 200+ at the time. Technician refused to put the front two tires on the car. Long story short, we paid to get 2 tires put on for 62.43 and was left with 2 tires. We had to find another place to install the tires. The other installer changed my two tires and replaced my lug nuts (I bought the lug nuts myself) for a total of $12. Needless to say, I am extremely displeased and will never be a patronage at any pep boys again & neither will my friends or family. Stephanie from Philadelphia, PA
Entity: Phila, Pennsylvania