UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: University Of Phoenix

There may be more reports for "University Of Phoenix"

For more results perform a general search for "University Of Phoenix"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Aug 08 2009
University Of Phoenix GRADUATE OF UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX AZ Internet
So this report should be a positive one right? Well let me tell you my story. I graduated from UOP in June of this year. Diploma states June 16, 2009 to be specific. I attended UOP for the last 2 years with no problem. No classes failed, no drop outs, etc. Since Feb., I have always had a credit balance (school owes me). I figured nothing of it as I thought they were just holding it in case I failed a class, so no big deal to me. During the final week of my final class, and cruising to the end with an A average, I decided to write my financial advisor about the excess funds left over from my student loan ($2,381). She advised me that it would be returned to its rightful owner (the student loan company or myself) when I finalized my diploma. I knew it would be returned to me as I have already started making payments on my loan because I wasn't strapped for cash and decided to start making payments and have been for the last year. I now hold this diploma in my hand and I even registered as a alumni at the UOP. People may consider the diploma useless, but to me it was an personal accomplishment as I can not even use it currently, but hope it opens up doors for me in the future by pursuing a Masters degree. Almost 2 months later, so I decided to write my financial advisor again yesterday to remind her of this credit balance and that I was no longer enrolled in the UOP because I am an Alumni. Notice I said write, because I want to keep a paper trail just in case. I will keep you inform of what happens as I do not see any similar case to mine yet. Eithier way the UOP even screwed up a potential success story and after reading all the complaints I am starting to wish I never got involved with this school. Andre Honolulu, HawaiiU.S.A.
Entity: Internet
Jun 14 2012
University of Phoenix UOP Disabled People BEWARE of University of Phoenix! Internet
In 2007/8 I contacted UOP inquiring about classes. I am 100% disabled and am on very low income.  I Specifically told him that I could not pay Any out of pocket expenses. The man I spoke to said that my income was so low that grants would pay for all of my classes. I signed up because I wanted to learn a skill I could do from home as my health allowed and get OFF low income disability. I attended online classes for one year and got straight A's. Just as I was preparing to start the second year I received a bill for over $10,000.00! They said I signed forms agreeing to it! I NEVER signed Any forms agreeing to pay Anything! They are Still hounding me 4 years later! I was contacted by U.S. Department of Education Direct Loans Servicing Center who said they were a Government Program that would pay off UOP and Fannie May and that my low income would qualify me for a Hardship Waiver They sent me the application which I filled out and returned. Last month they sent me their decision on the hardship waiver. I am to pay $97.00 per month until paid off. It might as well be $900. My total income is $1,300. a month. From that I pay rent, utilities, phone, medical insurance, medication co-pays and food. I am usually over-drawn at the end of the month by $10 to $20. I can't pay it. I Shouldn't HAVE to pay it. I will Not pay it!  Now they are threatening to attach my Social Security Disability. My only child died in 04, my husband died in 08.  I was trying to start over, find something to keep me moving forward, when I believed them and signed up for classes.  Now, I just want them to Leave Me Alone! The only proof I have of any of this would be in their records. But, since they doctored the forms to say that I signed them agreeing to pay they have probably already doctored the rest of the records too. I can prove my low income all the way back to 06 when I was first put on permanent disability. Why would any sane person agree to pay over $20,000 for a degree when they are barely scraping by on 1,300.00 on permanent disability??? I can also prove the death of my husband in 08 when I signed up for classes looking for a way to take care of myself and get a better quality of life than what disability provides. Now I am afraid to try anything. The stress of years of their hounding is unbelievable! I do not think this will end well for me but I hope it does end well for you.   If you are considering becoming a Phoenix...STOP! If you are low income and they have told you that grants will cover everything...STOP! They are LYING! If you are on permanent disability and are considering learning a new job skill-set that will get you off low income disability....STOP! It's hard surviving on disability, it's a crappy life...but Believe me it is so much better than the hell that the University of Phoenix and the US Department of Education; Direct Loan Servicing Center will put you through.
Entity: , Internet
Apr 16 2005
University Of Phoenix low quality education-ripoff Phoenix Arizona
I attended a University of Phoenix brick-and-mortar campus for almost three years and received my bachelor degree with a high GPA. Almost my entire curriculum was paid for with student loans. I have no complaints about heavy courseload. I completed my courses with a good attitude and work ethic. During my experience there, I saw things that bothered me. I saw students who did not complete the assignments or even comprehend the material. But they still received good grades. This irritated me because I always strived to learn the material thoroughly even if the instructor didn't care. After all, look at all the money I was paying. Too many of the classes were ridiculously easy with low workload, and seemed like nothing more than students and instructors rambling on or making commentaries about nothing relevant to the course material. One of the problems with this school is that they don't focus on teaching anything abstract or intellectual. This is what higher learning is all about. A few fellow students observed this too, and I remember one student saying, I don't know how this school obtained their accreditation. One the red flags I ignored in the beginning was the fact that all the admissions advisors have to have sales experience. University of Phoenix is all about making tons of money. The founder is a billionaire. This school is a business first, the students come second. UOP faculty and executives like to say University of Phoenix fills a niche in the adult education community. So what? This doesn't dispute the fact that it is still is a poor quality education. I regret earning my degree there, and it may be doing me more harm then good by listing it on my resume. If you are a prospective student, don't waste your money on this school. I learned a lot more from community college courses that were a fraction of the cost of UOP and required 3 times the workload. You're a lot better off getting a good education from a traditional state or private university too. I recent years I read of a multi-million dollar fine imposed on UOP. I predict that in the future University of Phoenix will get into more trouble with the government. Bill Tucson, ArizonaU.S.A.
Feb 19 2006
University Of Phoenix Online, Axia College Online ripoff Phoenix Arizona
I am coming to you all as a former employee of the University of Phoenix and Axia College to tell you how much of a rip off this place truly is. The quality of education and accrediation, at least on the associates and bachelor level, is fine. What troubles me more is the way that the school pursues getting students. What will happen first, when you are contacted by the University for an online enrollment, is what is called a RAMOPSR conversation. This is a conversation that is created to attempt to make you tell the Enrollment Advisior (Sales Associate) all about yourself, as well as get comfortable. Basically, they don't want you to think of this as a business relationship but rather a friend relationship. R stands for Rapport. This is when your Sales Associate will ask you about your kids, your life, what you do. They don't actually want to get to know you--they just want your money. A is admissibility--not terrible, they just want to know if they can get you enrolled. Most counselors will lie to you and say that they have to meet with a Board of Academics and Finance Department to admit you to the school. News flash--the admission requirement is a GED/Diploma and a pulse. What REAL university doesn't measure your SAT/ACT scores? It's all about money, so in order to create urgency, they will make sure and lie to you about the admissions process. I was told blatently to do this by my manager. M-motivation. What makes you want to go to school...if you don't want to go now, it's the EC's job to motivate you to tell you why what's going on in your life is not important enough to put off school. I've been pressured to enroll individuals coming off surgerys, who are a month from being due, etc. O-online. Why the online format is so great. fine. P-payment. This is where we'll try to sell you on financial aid in about 5 minutes, and avoid any questions about how much getting an associates degree (16,000 dollars), will cost you, because it's about 5 times as expensive as a normal community college. Before enrolling, make sure and know about your FINANCIAL AID. What we'll tell you is blah blah, 100% coverage, etc, just so enrollment can happen. S-Start date. Know how you wanted to start college when you were comfortable to start? Doesn't matter. They'll make sure and lie and tell you that ONLY IF YOU START NEXT WEEK will the application fee be waived, even though for the last 8 months the application fee has been waived. R-referral...self-explanitory. Don't let the University of Phoenix fool you, they are not counselors, because legitimate counselors have to have bachelors degrees, etc, and actually want you to take the best path for your education. No, these are sales people. Legit university don't have high pressure sales tactics, calling you 10+ times per week, trying to close you on every call, or having enrollment goals for you to meet. The reason why you get so many calls is because the University has a requirment that you must have 120 outbound calls per day. Sound like a telemarkter to you? Also, after your enrollment, your counselor will attempt to guide you through class. Unfortunatley, don't count on them actually knowing anything about the classes. All they have is the syllabus, just what you have, sometimes less. Would you trust a used car salesman to help you through college? Ask yourself that question before enrolling at the University of Phoenix. Former UoP Employee Phoenix, ArizonaU.S.A.
Jul 12 2005
University Of Phoenix Online Awful people to work for, ripoff! Phoenix Arizona
I have worked for UOP Online for almost 3 years and cannot believe the horiible way managers, and on up the food chain, treat people. I have worked extremely hard for the past 11 months in a new department here, and just learned that I am doing such a poor job that I have been placed on a Performance plan where I have to show my manager EVERYTHING I do each week. Also, because I am such a poor worker I was only given a 2% pay increase...2%? Thanks for nothing! Not once, was I told how to improve before this point, not once was I told that I was doing anything wrong. I cannot wait to get out of here! Don't ever work here or go to school here! Rachel Phoenix, ArizonaU.S.A.
Jun 26 2017
University of Phoenix University of Phoenix On Line (Apollo Group) University of Phoenix Online charged double the cost of my degree phoenix Internet
The University of Phoenix collected over 114,000 for my associate of the atrs and bachekor's of science degrees! The total cost of those degrees according to the school was 60,000. According to the Department of Education the University of Phoenix collected more than double that amount leaving me stuck paying the 114,000 plus intrest! To make matters worse they claim to have sent me checks totaling 17,000 in grant money and stipens which I never recieved! I am stuck paying that back as well. If that were not enough they are still holding my degree and transcripts hostage claiming that I still owe them 480.00! How is it they can get away with not only robbing the government but leaving thier students to fit the bill?!      I have contacted the Department of Education, the Attorney General's office in both Arizona and my home state of Wyoming, as well as a number of other entities trying to get help; all to no avail! Does anybody have any suggestions??Or know of a law firm that handles these kinds of cases?Robert Schirmeremail - slade2372@yahoo.comadress: 321 N 4th StreetDouglas, Wyoming82633
Entity: Internet
Jan 28 2009
University Of Phoenix teacher discriminated me, and student code of conduct Phoenix Arizona
Hi I have been a university of phoenix since Sept 2008. I decide to attend school to further my career, and job placement. I completed the first two block of classes. I recently had a class I felt discriminated in. I was caught with plagiarism, and received a zero for that assignment. I totally agree with that. My family member posted a assignment from a unauthorized information source. the family member has asperger's disease, and is under the age 16. I was also accused in week 5. I had nothing to do with week 5. I scored a 100% on that assignment, and received a zero for that. I take full creit of the one assignment, but not the other. So I received a plagiarism letter, received a warning. Now I am in the middle of a code of conduct vilation. I have tried explaining, but no one will listen. I don't know what to do. As far as trying to get the week 5 grade, I have talked to my academic advisor, and told to do the survery at the end of the class. Now I am on scholastic suspension unitl my commitee is over. I am being accused of releasing my password, and id. Even though I was cleared of the plagarism issue. I was told it was a snowball effect. I am very worried about my financial aid. Any advice? I would sure love some! Bostonbeagle SpringfieldU.S.A.
Oct 19 2008
Axia College Of University Of Phoenix rip off? Phoenix Arizona
I enrolled in the Axia Online College back in April of 2007, to do the book work of my nursing degree online. My enrollment counselor, Toriano Scroggins, told me that since I had never taken any college courses before, that I would first have to take my basics and assured me that after two years of getting my basics that I could start my RN degree online. I received my first disbursement from a pell grant that May and was able to purchase my laptop so that I could do all my school work. I was told that I was to receive another disbursement shortly there after, yet I never received one. When I tried to contact my financial aid counselor, Rafael Quirarte, lets say I would have had better luck finding the needle in the hay stack. I called him several times, left emails, and voice messages on his message machine. I did not finally get a call back until August, only to be told that I was not going to be seeing another disbursement because I had not gotten enough credits or something like that. He told me that the money was not sent from the Government yet. Okay, so lets fast forward a bit. I noticed on my account that I had pell grants that were marked as credits. I once again tried to contact Rafael, and not one word. I ended up having to contact his manager, Jennifer something, and she informed me that I would be receiving one disbursement towards the middle of January 08, and another in February 08. She also confirmed that I was to receive yet another one this last May. I asked her several times if she was sure, and she told me she was looking at my file and it said it on there. I got the disbursements for January and February; however when May came around nothing came in the mail. I actually got a hold of Rafael this time and the told me that he had no idea why she would tell me that because it does not say anything like that on my file. One year later, from enrollment, I find out that I am not going to be able to take my degree because in order to take their RN course, you have to be a Registered Nurse for two years prior. Now why did these people not inform me of this before I started class? They new full well that I was not registered because I was practically fresh out of High School. So I decided to push forward, I was already half way through this so there was no reason for me to quit. I was/am just upset that I wasted my time with this when I could have already been licensed and working as a Nurse. Just recently I was told by Rafael that I was out of money because tuition rates increased but it was the perfect time for me to apply for more money because Title IV Loans had just increased. I went ahead and approved it for him to apply for the money because I did not have the cash to pay out of my pocket for the tuition costs because they are rather high. Just this last week I received two disbursement checks that were supposedly left over from the new funds. And yesterday (October 18, 2008) I received a bill in the mail for the amount that they disbursed to me. It really bothered me to see that they were trying to bill me for money they credited to me, so my husband did some research to see what it was all about and stumbled across this site and began to read all the problems that students have had with this school. It really worries me, because I can totally relate to everything that the students are saying. This has been the most stressful thing for me. The e-campus is the most annoying thing because it is always having problems and then when assignments are late because of it, they act like it is my fault. I also just had to get a new Master Promissory Note because College Loan Corporation, no longer gave Title IV loans. Correct me if I am wrong, however College Loan Corp. deals with nothing but Student Loans. Therefore, should that not include Title IV loans? Is it possible that they just refuse to send anymore money to UOP? I don't know, I am just so confused right now not to mention scared. My husband and I have worked our butts off to build my credit up. So far I have really good credit, no bad marks what so ever, and with this school, I am afraid that the Loan debt I have acquired is going to ruin that unless I am able to find a forgiveness loan or grant to pay it off. On another note, when I first started I was told that if ever I needed to take some time off from class for what ever reason, just to let my academic counselor know and they would work it out for me. No problem. Well last October of 07 my husband and I suffered a miscarriage and when I asked for some time off to get my head together, my counselor said that he could not do that because if he did I was going to be held financially responsible for the classes(that were already paid for by loans by the way). It upset me however, Bless God, we were able to get through it. My GPA has dropped from an A to a high C, and all because of a combination of their problems, and I have just shear lost my ambition to be doing this anymore. I want to transfer to Liberty University, however after reading all the problems that other students have had with that I am scared that I wont be able to. I am scheduled for graduation for April 04, 2009, and I am wondering if I should go ahead with it, or if I should protest now? I have had an odd feeling about these people for quite some time now, and after reading all the reports on here, especially the ones from the former employees, my suspicions are confirmed. It upsets me because they have wasted my time and put me about 15K in the hole. And over what? This is Nonsense! And I pray that God gives these people what is coming to them. If there is a Class Action Law suite against these people I would like to be notified please. God Bless you all. Marie somewhere, TexasU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on University Of Phoenix
Dec 18 2006
University Of Phoenix mislead me about out of pocket fee Phoenix Arizona
I am attending UOP and it stinks. When I first applied to the University I was told that my out of pocket expense will not be no more than $900, which was a lie. I explained to the enrollment council that I did not want to get a student loan because I was a single parent and I would not be able to pay it back. He advised me that I would not have to get that much. Later on I told him that I wanted to cancel my enrollment, I also talked to the financial advisor and the academic counsel, they all persuade me to stay on. They trick you by using the term tuition, not knowing that you are paying $1482 for one class. I thought tuition was consist of at least 4 classes. How in the world do they expect a poor person to afford to pay $1482 per class. At that rate, by the time you finish taking 40 classes you will be out of 60,000. If I did continue to go there, by time I graduate and find a job, I will be working just to pay off that debt. I will not be profitting anything. Another thing, the school suppose to be for working adults, if so, why do they try to pile so much unneccessary work on people. Knowing you have an eight hour job, some people two, plus a family to take care of, how do they expect you to have time. After my first two classes were paid for, I had a credit of $2736, they would not send it to me. They are just holding it. I guest to make sure you continue the classes. You know, something need to be done by these people ripping people off like this. I want to quit after I finish this second class but I am afraid that they will send the loan money back and make me still pay the school. I just don't have any money to waste. I am a poor working mom, single that is, trying to make it from one pay check to another. Is there anything that can be done about this ridiculous mess. Donna Greenville, MississippiU.S.A.
Dec 27 2007
Axia University - University Of Phoenix Does this sound familiar to anyone? Phoenix Arizona
In mid-October I enrolled with Axia University after filling out an online interest form and talking to my enrollment counselor for at least an hour. During this conversation, we talked about FAFSA and the EFC code I received and how that would reflect on my out-of-pocket expenses. I was told specifically that if I came out-of-my-pocket more than $100 a year, he would be shocked, and that just by my EFC I not only qualified for pell grants but that I would qualify for other grants for housing since I am off campus and since my husband is active duty military. After filling out the FAFSA I was required to fax a copy of my 2006 W2's for verification purposes only which I did promptly. My first block of classes started November 1st. All was well until I received an email from FAFSA stating that my EFC code had been corrected by my school or institution. Am I missing something here? Wasn't I along with everyone else who applied for financial aid given a pin number to be specifically mine? I did not hear anything from Axia stating any discrepancies with my application that needed corrected yet somehow on 12/10/07 almost 2 months after my application was processed and I was sent my yellow official copy of my SAR, it was corrected? Anyway, this obviously made me suspicious. I then received two emails from Citibank stating that my stafford loans had been accepted. How could this be since I stated in the application that I did NOT want loans? I talked to my enrollment counselor on the 23rd of December and he assured me that all was well and that I would have a hefty check coming my way. Well, the 24th I received in the mail, not one but TWO statements from Citibank showing the two loans respectively for $3500 and $4000. I completely understand that my education was not going to be free. Per my original EFC code of 975 I knew I would be contributing. However that EFC was changed fraudulently on 12/10/07 to 1519. Unlike some of the others reporting on here, I decided to take action into my own hands. As of yesterday, 12/26/07, I called and canceled all loans with Citibank and was instructed to call the school to tell then to send the already disbursed funds back. I called my financial aid counselor, who I had yet to speak to, and left a message as he was unavailable for a chat. In my message I instructed him to send my monies back and to call me as soon as possible. He did however call me back about an hour ago. He was quite rude and to be perfectly honest, a jackass in every manner of the word. He didn't want to hear anything I said until I mentioned that FAFSA was looking into the corrected entry on 12/10/07 by the school without my knowledge. He also stated that they would not send the monies back to Citibank until I have sat out of classes for 29 days. Then, he changed. He said he was sorry that I felt this way and that I have aid in the form of a $4000 check coming to me. However, I had to complete the 26 credit hours before the money would technically be mine. WTF? Why not just apply it to my educational costs the way FAFSA intends? But, this also leaves the matter of the $3500 loan... even with my EFC code being their fraudulent change, I would still need an additional $2000 out of pocket for a year. After trying to argue this with him he told me that I would still have to pay back financial aid. How? Is he an idiot? I canceled my loans, therefore I owe nothing. I will simply send the $4000 check back to FAFSA certified. We'll see if the 29 day rule applies and what other shenanigan's they come up with to embezzle more money from those who just want to further their education and build better lives. My advice to anyone thinking about this University (uh hem JOKE) is to watch your FAFSA application status and check it frequently. They will change it and they will wait until you are almost done with your first block of classes before doing so. I caught mine quickly whereas others are not as fortunate. While this school may be working for some, I feel that they mislead you from the get-go. I had a great relationship with my enrollment counselor and feel ultimately betrayed by if anything his omission of what he should have told me. I really hope that his two daughters do not have a lying, manipulative counselor as I did. Misledinindiana Indianapolis, IndianaU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on University Of Phoenix
Mar 14 2005
University Of Phoenix ripoff Deceptive Admissions Promises and Practices Phoenix Arizona
Beware of the unscrupulous business practices employed by the University of Phoenix. They are masters at the crafts of deception! I was promised financial aide in the form of a low interest loan. As I entered class I was called to the front of the classroom by the professor and handed a letter which stated I had been notified*(which I had not been) that I was being administratively removed from the class and the instructor was to accept no assisgnments from me. I had prepared a paper, as assigned. I went down to student services and was treated like a criminal. The representative there could give me no information other than I would have to pay cash. The security guard was made available to make the situation more embarrassing and demeaning. Requests for information from the financial aide offfice were treated with refusal to provicde answers. The business people at the University of Phoenix treat students with callous disregard and prove that they are solely interested in filling their coffers. When money becomes the most important entity students suffer. Kileen peoria, ArizonaU.S.A.
Feb 09 2005
University Of Phoenix ripoff criminals con artists credit killers Phoenix Arizona
Unfortunately, I am one of the MANY people in this world that was also sucked into the blatent scam that this University is dishing out to the masses. When you first hear the program, it sounds almost heavenly and the excitement that builds awaiting your first course is like that of a child on Christmas Eve. Once it all begins, each course sinks you deeper into the pit of hell. I was first assigned a financial advisor that was amazing, but he was taken from me and I was assigned another and another and another. The last one I has actually called and threatened me if I did not call him back within a day of his call. I took 6 courses through UOP and received all A's and B's, with one of my B's that was supposed to have been changed to an A. After I had received this grade, I contacted the joke of an instructor and after 9 emails and 5 phone calls, he told me that yes I had earned an A in the course, but he just gave me the B+ and had no other reasoning. I was told by my also large turn over rate of counselors that the grade would be changed. NEVER happened. That was the kicker in my dissatisfaction with this business. I was intructed upon admission that I would have my expenses paid and after my third course, I received an email from the finance office saying that I owed approximately 3 grand, and this was after they had charged my financial aid over 3 grand as well. It is very interesting that if you look at all the complaints on the web, that the government is suing to get millions of dollars back for their deception. I am also in no way shape or form a rocket scientist, but I can honestly tell you that I never once opened a book or spent any real effort on my studies and I can honestly tell you that I NEVER LEARNED a thing!! The instructors are not the most intelligent people either. I had 3 courses where I was teaching them certain things about what we were supposed to be learning. This business is at the bottom of the barrel. The only way to describe them is to say that they are below a puppy mill and call them an educational mill. Please save your comments UOP, because I also know that you pay people to reply to these postings as well. We have all posted on here for a reason, to let the world know how bad you are and your meaningless comments are nothing to myself and I am sure a large mass of others. Michelle North East, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Sep 28 2005
University Of Phoenix Online RIP OFF BAD DEGREE Phoenix Arizona
I was recruited by a cold call, intimidated to go through the process of enrolling on the phone and computer by the recruiter. I was lied to about netscape being OK to use at the school website. I was then told that my first course would be free and I wouldn't have to pay an enrollment fee. It would come out of my loans. I entered my first class. I had tons of tech issues. Then, I experienced a hate crime. The instructor led the class in a hate brigade against Jewish people. I am Jewish and then he assigned me to a team only to have me do the work of five team members. Four did nothing and stopped posting in the my team room period. I asked the instructor what I could do and he said You have to do ALL the work requested. and Leave the other team members' names out of the assignment. He would not let me join the other team. Finally, I was invited by other team members to join with them and I went. He was very upset. I was too as he seemed to think it was OK to suggest that HITLER be used as a role model for CHILDREN by TEACHERS to teach the power of persuasion and promote positive discussion about HITLER. I was MORTIFIED. I wanted to quit (and I should have) but UOP told me I could take the class over free of charge. They of course not only neglected to say it would disrupt my financial aide but they CHARGED ME FOR IT. It took quite some time to straighten out. More tech issues and then I get told by tech reps that they wont help me at all because I was not on Iexplorer and was using netscape (later I told my counselor whose suggestion was that I quit. This was the same counselor who told me I was in attendance as loing as I stayed in my class. I did and they sent me an out of attendance letter. Financial aide screwed me and did all kinds of things to hold onto my refund. Then after I had asked my counselor and been told I needed to stay in my class or be out of attendance, I stayed in the class. However, I was over the time. She mis calculated. Then they sent my funds back. I was 3 days over. Now they have been stringing me along and promising funds since January and every week they tell me another day, days or week. They said when I told them I was not taking anymore classes that if I stayed in this one I would get my refund. Today after almost a year of this crap I am told I am not getting a refund because they did not recover enough money. C none, ConnecticutU.S.A.
Sep 28 2005
University Of Phoenix Harrassment Ripoff Phoenix Arizona
WARNING If you are interested in furthering your education, and have contacted the University of Phoenix online, be prepared to be called daily. My husband, who is very ill, completed a form online for more information from the University of Phoenix. Instead of receiving information or a simple phone call, he was called at least twice daily by the U of P. They call anywhere from 8am to 8pm, and block their Calling Line ID so you do not know it is them calling. When they call, your Caller ID will not always show who is calling. It will display 000-000-0000 or a fake ID - I expect this is to get your curiousity going so you will answer the phone. When I answered the phone, they would not leave a message for my husband, and repeatedly stated, I'll call again later. They certainly did call again later. And again. And again. And again. When their calls became too much for my husband, due to his illness, I started screening the calls from them. I repeatedly asked them (as did my husband) to stop calling. They did not. On one occasion, a gentleman called my husband's cell phone, and I answered. I told him to PLEASE stop calling us, that my husband was now gravely ill. He would not accept this, and told me he needed approval from my husband directly. My request was not good enough. He then told me I was yelling at him (and I was not, I was in a bad area to be talking clearly on a cell phone). Finally, I had to send an e-mail to the webmaster because they still would not leave us alone. I told the webmaster at U of P that they were harrassing my husband, and that unfortunately we would need to take legal action if this continued. It stopped - after 3 months. JLCA Indianapolis, IndianaU.S.A.
Oct 28 2005
University Of Phoenix Misrepresented Financial Funding, Ripoff Phoenix Arizona
I enrolled at UOP in early April of 2005 to pursue BS in Business Management. I was allowed to enter class under the auspices of prior credits and degrees, which determined the amount of financial funding I was eligible to receive. I received a statement for the financial advisor of the amount that would be granted and the maximum amount annual out-of-pocket I should expect to pay direct to UOP. I was lead to believe that financing had been established and I was ready to proceed to class. At the beginning of my fourth on-line class, August, 2005, I received notice of matriculation of transfer credits. UOP explained I would not receive over 1/2 of my prior educational credits nor the prior technical degree, as it was not essential to my degree path. This revelation of lack of credits affected the original amount of financial availability. This caused an unexpected reduction in the financial distribution previously stated. I immediately received a bill from UOP in the amount of 2600.00 at the end of August, 2005. I contacted and asked the financial advisor (this was the third advisor replacement within three months) if further funding was to be distributed and I was told yes but only in the amount of 3300 until March of 2006. I then realized that I would be responsible to pay any class taken before March 2006 would be paid out-of-pocket which could be potentially 11,250.00. I decided to delay enrollment of fifth class for I had no means to come up with that amount. I feel that I was duped into enrolling in class before financing was finalized. I had no idea this would happen. I knew I would have some out-of-pocket expenses but not at this high amount. I explained to UOP financial that I would pay the amount not covered by loan. I set up an agreed payment plan with advisors. Soon after, about one week, I was advised that my account was sent to collections for being in default. How could it be in default when we had agreed to a payment plan and the initial billing was only sent within 30 days? When I contacted the university advisor, she told me UOP would not accept the payment plan and demanded the 2600.00 payment immediately, or else I would be contacted by national reporting agencies. I feel that UOP's encouraging me to enter class without the benefit of confirmed financial backing, and then expect me to pull dollars out of the air on demand is simply the most open act of unethical behavior I have ever experienced. I was led to believe original loan expectation was a done deal. If I had known to begin with, I would have withdrawn sooner, or better, never enrolled at UOP. I have no complaints with the quality of lecture or instructor guidance. I valued the content and presentation of the courses. I learned a great deal with the courses. I was always the leader in the projects and was appreciated by all my classmates. I only wish I had performed research on UOP prior to selecting them to complete my degree. I feel stupid that I was un-informed, or that I allowed myself to believe all was OK. Further, I planned to attend another university but I cannot complete enrollment process due to UOP holding my transcripts until the unexpected fees are paid in full. This episode has cost me more than unexpected expenses but has forced me to further delay my educational desires. I hope they realize the harm they do to unsuspecting students. I believe the negative notices posted here would diminish if they took hold and reevaluated their ethics policies. Shame on you, UOP for leading me to expect I could continue my education; a dream I thought I could finally accomplish. My transcripts are being held hostage all because of an error made that I had no control or ability to foresee. I will learn to do better research in the future. I advise anyone if they are about to enroll at UOP to make sure you know exactly what your financial needs will cover. Do not be assured that communication given by UOP staff is accurate. Please have all details in writting prior to accepting admission to any class. I learned the hard way. Terry Oceanside, CaliforniaU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on University Of Phoenix
Aug 21 2004
University Of Phoenix They want everything including my shoe size Phoenix Arizona
I thought I was crazy until I started reading all of the material against UOP. I am about to complete the first class and I am dropping out. No doubt, they will overcharge my card and pursue me for full charges. My counselor was great, when he used to call me back. I am getting nowhere now. Here is my issue with the University. I, like everyone else, applied for financial aid. Before my class started, everything was fine and they were working on getting the aid for me. Then about two weeks into the first class, I got an email from Becky Mcarther (my financial advisor) explaining to me that there was discrepant information in my paperwork and that I needed to fax her my social security card. I did as I was told. Then, a week later, I received another email from Becky advising me that there was more discrepant information in my paperwork and that I needed to fax her a copy of my birth certificate. Since I am fourty three and do not keep up with anything for that amount of time, I had to go get one (at my expense, of course). I thought surely they have enough information by now. Then, yesterday, I received a voice mail on my cell phone telling me that there was yet more discrepant information and they would need a copy of my marriage license from my first marriage. I burned that piece of paper when the divorce was final. I can't imagine that my High School Transcript wouldn't be enough information, since it has my social security number and my maiden name on it and I have never changed the SS #. Honestly, I breezed through this first class with an A. I thought it was because I was doing all the work. However, I haven't learned anything. I would love to have a degree, but I want it to be worth the paper it is written on. The instructor I have very rarely joins the class (it is on-line). If you send her an email or post a question, she will let you know in a hurry that you are to teach yourself. If I had known this to begin with, I never would have enrolled in the ripoff of a school. They are charging me 1320.00 for one class, and that doesn't include the 45.00 book or the 53.00 resource fees. How could I have been so blind!! Adele Irving, TexasU.S.A.
Jul 21 2004
University Of Phoenix Online Misleading, money hungry Phoenix Arizona
So...after finding out that UOP still had not tried to obtain my financial aid funds nor had they filed my paperwork for federal student loans, I'd had enough. I faxed in my withdrawal forms today and started looking at signing up for classes at the local community college again. WOAH! Phone rings...I see it's UOP and I let the machine get it. My Admissions counselor is on the phone saying that if I don't take another class that they will NOT apply my financial aid funds and that I'll have to pay out of pocket. Let me state here, that these classes are $1,300.00 EACH + books! I don't know about you people, but I cannot afford that, nor did I know before my first class that the classes would be that much. I was TOLD that the classes would be about $600 each...of course, this was just to get me to sign up and start classes. NONE of the initial paperwork that was emailed to me, had any pricing info on it. I was suckered in before I knew everything. Yes, I know...stupid me. I'm not trying to get people to feel sorry for me, I'm hoping that if enough of us speak up, we'll prevent others from going through this. A former UOP student told me....you should have checked them out on ripoffreport.com first! Yeah well, I didn't know what that site was at the time, let me tell ya, now I do. God it makes me nauseous. I wish I had known before I signed up. I have no clue how I'm going to afford this. Char Mytown, IndianaU.S.A.
Sep 20 2004
University Of Phoenix - OnlineUOP ripoff Fishers Phoenix Internet
There have been many complaints about UOP. There is a post that feels UOP is a good university. I am currently enrolled in the MSCIS program at UOP, and in my third to last class for my Masters. I have learned absolutely nothing within my classes, which I did not already know. My undergrad provided me with all the skills that I have. The Masters program has not improved my knowledge or my skill set. Part of this is because the instructors do not help with the classes. I am able to respond to other students and talk about things that do not even pertain to the course of study. Yes, I have to have 2 posts 5 out of 7 days a week. The classes do not take up much time because all I have to do is answer questions. There are no exams; there is not any real work. My wife tried to obtain her BS through UOP. She had a completely different experience. She had non-stop work. Papers, posts, and more. The work would not have been a problem, but after further research it was discovered that the classes that she was enrolled in and scheduled to be enrolled in did not even pertain towards the degree she was after. She was told that she would graduate in 2 years by her first advisor. Her fifth advisor told her that she would not graduate in 2005, but 2007. The online website where one can see their courses completed and future classes, even said that she would be done by the end of 2005. Where was the other 2 years coming from? Why was my wife enrolled in classes and scheduled to be enrolled in classes that were not going towards her degree? UOP is after one thing MONEY!. They are a waste of time and energy. They are expensive. My wife has switched to a local college and is paying 7k less than what one year at UOP would have cost her and she will have completed her degree with this one time payment. She and I have had numerous academic advisors and financial advisors. None have the same story and none of them seem to have a clue. I am completing my degree because my work is paying for it. I have told my work to never pay for someone to take a class through UOP. They are not worth the money nor are they worth the accreditation that they have. Who in their right mind accredited this university? If there is any ground for a class action suit against UOP, please let, as many people know as you can. I would love to get my company's money and my time back from UOP. Ben Fishers, IndianaU.S.A.
Entity: Phoenix, Internet
Sep 08 2004
University Of Phoenix is a rip-off! Phoenix Arizona
I am one of the victims from the University of Phoenix. I get a call at work informing me my account is past due. So I call up the so-called financial advisor as to what this is all about since I signed an agreement saying my first class was free. Well it seems that the Admissions Counselor was lying about the promotion, and yes, I did read it before signing it, but I was under the impressions by my admissions counselor that this offer was still valid, even though I didn't start class in the designated time frame. The reason I didn't start class was because my admissions counselor kept putting off my class. That made the offer no good. I had to withdraw after I completed the first class because my husband lost his job and my son was in trouble, they treated me like I had leprosy or something and then sent me a $1300.00 bill and told me I had two weeks to pay up or it was going to collections. By the way, when they got me to sign up I told them, the only way I can sign up is if I got financial aid, they said don't worry about it, it's taken care of, I filled out the FAFSA and was rewarded $500.00 I don't know where that went? (Pell Grant) I would be interested in a class-action law suit if anyone else is, this is robbery and should be stopped. It is a bait & switch operation with a worthless degree in the end. I am going applying to a real school in Florida and have had NO problems with financial aid. These people need to be stopped with their aggressive tactics and lies. I hope they all burn in @#$&. Pamela Albertville, AlabamaU.S.A.
Oct 28 2004
University Of Phoenix Cannot get my Money Back! Phoenix Arizona
I terminated my relationship with the University of Phonenix in early September. I had been banking my money for future classes. I was offered an opportunity that would pay for my education, so I terminanted my relationship with UOP and have been trying ever since to get my funds back. I first started with my Financial Advisor, who at first told me I would not be receiving any funds back. After numerous phone calls and proof that this was my money that they were holding for future classes ,he eventually told me that I would be receiving my funds back. I waited and I waited and with no money arriving I called him and he said that it takes awhile. I finally called his manager and did not receive any calls back from the manager, so I called his manager. I finally received a call back from Ramon who stated, that his employee would be emailing me the forms back. I received the forms that should have been given to me immediately filled them out and faxed them back. I sent an email to my financial advisor telling him if he need anything more to contact me. A week passed and I heard nothing so I phone Ramon. I told Ramon that I needed this money as my new classes were starting at the State College in Connecticut. He told me if I did not hear from him that day, that my funds would be overnighted. I did not hear from him and thought great! The next day Ramon phoned and said I did not fill out the proper paperwork and this was the first that he had heard that I needed my money immediately. He told me that although his employee made some errors, it would still be another few days and he would contact me as soon as he had a Fed Ex Number to give me. I have now contacted the Fraud Unit in Phoenix at the States Attorney's Office and they are workig with me. I'm thinking it will take some time to get my money back. UOP is quick to take your money, but not quick to return your funds. I do not want to have to sue to have my funds returned as it will cost too much money from CT to AZ. Sandy Wethersfield, ConnecticutU.S.A.
Oct 26 2004
University Of Phoenix Ripoff shameful deceptiveness Phoenix Arizona
Thank you Wendy-Houston, Texas., Elizabeth-Rockford, Illinois., Tim-Valparaiso, Indiana., and all of you who have come forward with your horrible experiences with UoP. All of your stories combined make up mine. I was also straight out lied to, mislead, confused and scammed. Like you, I am a hard working individual. I graduated with honors and was in the top 1% of the International Scholastic Order and the Dean's List in my last college before enrolling in UoP. Lazy... I am not. If we are all complaining about the same things, common sense tells me that there must be validity to our fustration. I believe that the people that are so defending UoP must be invested in that company in some way other than academically, like an employee pretending to be a successful student of that online nightmare. If not, why the animosity towards us? I enrolled on 9/16/04 and dropped out on 10/6/04. Yet, the $$$ clock is still ticking for me. I have been qouted different amounts that I owe for those 3weeks. $ 811.00, $776.76, $811.76 and $1,380.00 I am sure tomorrow will be another number. I had to almost come to tears just to convince them to tell me how to cancell or to give me the number of the director of admmissions or director of financial aid (which they never gave me). Finally, after my husband threaten with calling the Department of Education, I was told were I could find the withdral form. A week later, it was not official because I had not sent them an official cancellation form which they never mention in the first place. I later find out that my loan had been accepted on 10/12/04 After they knew I had cancelled! I can go on about the lies and misrepresentations, but you already know about them, you lived them as well. From don't worry about this or that form to the books are included in the loan amount and they will be delivered to you in time. Only one book! wich I paid for outside of my loan the rest were online. In three weeks I spent $80.00 on ink for my printer and used up my last bunch of printer paper (300 or so pages). I need books to highlight and go back to while I'm preparing a research paper and such. My enrollement counselor knew this before I enrolled, but he still went ahead and said there will be real books. I am preparing for a fight because I know this is not over. It's not the money, time and trust that I lost and will lose that bothers me as much as it is the abuse. I will write a letter to the Dept. of Higher Edu., BBB., Consumer Affairs, the Board of Ed., Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Ed., The Arizona Republic (which already knows UoP's record), the governor and everyone I can think of. The people who are trying to scare us away from a class action suit have underlying intentions. If we all write on complaint forums like this one, and to the proper authorities and everyone that comes to mind. We can do better than a class suit. My home builder pulled a fast one on me, I lost several thousands of dollars, but he has lost in my calculations at least 1/2 of a million. I answer an average of 7 emails a week telling prospective buyers my horrifying story and telling them to steer clear of that builder. Not only have I made good friends in the process, but as far as my friends are concerned, there is no bussiness for my builder. There is a God. Katia E. Stroudsburg, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
May 22 2002
UOP University of Phoenix Disorganized, rude, fraud abused & mistreated ripped off Phoenix Arizona
I attended the University of Phoenix in 1997 and it was the worst experience of my life. First of all they lost all of my paperwork 3 times. Then once they finally had it all in front of them they failed to run my student aid, so I got a bill for the cost of the class that I had just taken. I found out I had several parts of my application that were just missing and that is why my financial aid did not get processed. So we played the back and forth game with more paperwork, then apparently it was too late for them to file my student aid reports. So I got a bill every week for the next couple of months. I had their henchmen calling my house every other day, not verifying who they were speaking to (a couple of times they were giving private info to my friend) yelling at me how I need to take responsibility for my school payment. I changed my number shortly after, then they called my parents (when I was an independent student.) It drove me crazy! They put negative info on my credit report. They should have taken responsibility for the mistakes they made. I filled out all of the papers that they asked me to, and they lost it multiple times it is not my fault that they are disorganized. Michelle Spencer, West Virginia
Sep 27 2006
University Of Phoenix - Apollo Group ripoff Phoenix Arizona
I am a former UOP student. I got my degree in June 2006. The main reason to pursue an MBA was to be able to teach, either business or management courses in an undergrad level. I'd been applying for teaching jobs after graduation at many community colleges and online programs just like Phoenix. The feedback I am receiving is that based on my transcripts, I do not have sufficient credits to teach. The reason being is because the courses are not properly coded. In Florida, the main requirements set by the Higher Learnings Association( NOrth Central, Middle States, Etc)is to possess 18 credits in any discipline. For instance, I want to teach management, I need 6 courses coded MGT or whatever course code they might use. The bottom line is that I feel frustrated and overwhelmed with the responses I received. I just recalled when I took my first course at UOP, I felt so delighted and enthusiastic, but in the mid of my program, I realized that this whole thing was a charade and I was getting a copy and paste degree. I am still taking menial jobs for a living and I owe 70K in student loans. UOP sends extra(living arrangement) money just as a retention technique. They drowned people in debt just because they need a high conversion rates with the enrollments and retention is a crucial element. AS a result, I am facing some financial dillemas. I would like to become part or initiate a class action lawsuit against them. It is not only unfair, but unethical and misleading. Gabriel Naples, FloridaU.S.A.
Feb 11 2009
University Of Phoenix File Report with BBB Online Phoenix Arizona
I read some of the sad stories of bad experiences with the University of Phoenix. However, if you truly want a resolution to your issues, file a report with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can do it online and it only takes as much time as it did to write on this web site. My husband attends University of Phoenix and is having similar financial issues. They promised a $3000 grant if he continued in their undergrad program. He did. Now they say he is not eligibile because his attendance was not contiguous, month to month. Unfortunately, he needed to take time off to handle some family matters. So, after many, many phone calls, getting nowhere, he filed a report with the BBB. Only now is he getting a response. My advice, don't give up, don't let them rip-you-off...report them to the BBB. Here is are some links to get you started. Check your anger at the curb, because what companies do to you are not personal attacks; don't take it personally. Therefore, state you views tactfully and to the point without anger or colorful language. You will get results. Good Luck! http://central-northern-western-arizona.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=30&bbb=0603&firm=37001814 The main web site for the BBB is: http://www.bbb.org/ Annonymous Charlotte, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Sep 23 2008
University Of Phoenix - Apollo Group is a SCAM Phoenix Arizona
I enrolled at the Phoenix in July of 2007. I was a new mom and looking to continue my education while on maternity leave. I emailed them my some questions. I got a response in about 5 mintutes...by phone. The man who called me was James Evans. I got a big speech about how they would support me. Asked me if I would need help paying for school. Told me that all my credits would transfer and it wouldn't take long for me to graduate. He also said that my degree would be accepted the same as OU or OSU. Well let me tell ya...this school is a total nightmare. The online system goes down all the time, the professors say that you shouldn't wait until the night the papers are due to turn them in. Yada, yada, yada. Although my adviser was very nice, she kept making excuses for them and convinced me to keep enrolling in classes. When I had problems with a few classes she had me fill out grievence forms, which took forever to get a response. When I did get a response, they said that I had waited too long to contact them. This is a bunch of crap because I had cooresponded with my counselor the whole time. My counselor, which has no qualifications but a bachelors degree. Anyway, not only was all this a hassel, but I also had a problem with the financial aid. I asked several times for a regular bursar statement and never received one. There is no way to account for any of my loans or educational assistance from the government. I know they have money that was not applied to my account. I also was told that a portion of my loans got sent back to citi and they are not showing so. I am being bamboozled. Megan yukon, OklahomaU.S.A.

Showing 26-50 | Showing Page 2 of 14,662