UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: University Of Phoenix

There may be more reports for "University Of Phoenix"

For more results perform a general search for "University Of Phoenix"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Mar 19 2007
University Of Phoenix Recruiting problems Ripoff Phoenix Arizona
Like many similar here, I was not provided critical admissions information by my counselor. I guess he thought it would be more fun as a surprise. Instead, it has caused my unecessary time and expense. Thankfully, I am no longer attached to UOP, but have done a little research which will I hope prevent others from following my footsteps. Information printed below is from a U.S. Department of Education report on the UOP, and gives the appropriate context to how the UOP conducts business. Also, check out the NYT piece, 11 Feb 2007. Thanks, and you can find this stuff by googling it. Happy REading... The DOE review was conducted in the summer of 03 to determine UOP's compliance with the Higher Education Act...One of the requirements makes it against the law for educational institutions like the UOP to pay enrollment counselors compensation based solely on obtaining enrollments. In summarizing the UOP's compensation system the report states, The actions of UOP and the system it has established cultivates and maintains a corporate culture of defiance of UOP's fiduciary duty. UOP has created an environment that pits the strong motivation of individual gain against its fiduciary duty to the Department. It is one that flaunts the Departments regulations and the prohibition against incentive compensation based on enrollments. The DOE begins its report asserting that when the UOP is hiring recruiters, they promise substantial income opportunities, and could double or triple thier salary in three to six months. The report explains new trainees quickly learn income potential is specifically tied to number of enrollments achieved. Recruiters learn a system called matrix, which supposedly supplies numerous factors in determining a recruiters compensation. However, The matrix sets forth the rating (meets, etc.) associated with the number of enrollments, and it is these criteria that supercede all others and actually determine salary. Indeed one recruiter recalls the Director of Enrollment saying we're flying under the radar of the Department, believes that the matrix is a way to deceive the Department. (Department refers to DOE) The DOE describes daily morning meetings where managers ...serve to motivate or humiliate the recruiters based on their activities. Managers use large boards to post statistics for each employee, Except when visitors are expected, UOP managers prominently post the board... UOP used these frequent meetings to drive home the message that a recruiters success in securing enrollments would equate to success.. in reaching salary goals. One enrollment manager puts a spreadsheet on her recruiters' computer desktops that shows how many enrollments each recruiter needs to reach the next salary level. The report describes intimidation tactics used by managers. One admissions director tells students who are not meeting required enrollment they are, stealing from Brian Mueller (CEO of UOP on line.) The red room was a place reserved for punishment for those not meeting required sales figures. The room was a glassed in enclosure so those outside could look in. Tables were placed in the middle where recruits were made to sit and make calls, while fellow co-workers looked on. Those sent to this room had to report immeadiatly and would be closely monitered by management. THis practice was eliminated in 2002. SOme recruiters point out management would become intimidating when enrollment numbers were down, saying their heads would be on a chopping block if numbers weren't reached. One recruiter recalls explaining she may need to fly home to attend here grandmas funeral and was told by her manager, YOu can't afford the time away... and ...if you go, you have to prove that you went to the funeral and that she is dead. As to recruiter evaluations, the report describes, More than 70% of the recruiters reported that they were unaware of any basis for compensation other than enrollment numbers and recruiting activities. It is remarkable that the only recruiters who said that their salary also included qualitative factors, such as customer service, were recruiters chosen by UOP to be interviewed by the reviewers. Literally every recruiter interviewed randomly or outside of the work premises said that the number of enrollments determined their salary. One manager when asked by a recruiter about compensation stated its enrollments. You know its enrollments. It will always be enrollments. From its monthly commissionable sales reports, to its admissions counselor policy guide, to its repeated reminders from managers, UOP reinforces to recruiters that UOP evaluates and pays them solely on the basis of how many students they enroll the report concludes. The report asserts, The sales philosophy at UOP and practice is designed around evasion and relies upon euphemisms to avoid detection by the Department. UOP systematically established terminology and procedures to hide the fact that UOP pays distinct and significant financial incentives solely based on recruiters' success in securing enrollments. To avoid detection, the UOP uses euphemisms to describe enrollments, such as activities or level one student information cards. The report goes on to describe how recruiters with the highest enrollments get massive pay raises. It describes managements pressure to recruit unqualified students. That recruiters are coached when officials from government or accrediting agencies were visiting. And in response to DOE questions, Literally every current UOP employee who has worked longer than a year, expressed anxiety over possible retaliation by the UOP. The report goes on to describe a cover up during the DOE review, UOP's behavior during the program review process further substantiates the ethical concerns expressed by both current and former employees. When one manager knew of the review, she coached two employees what to say, that salaries were based on numerous factors, not just enrollments. She further instructed they were not to speak to former UOP employees about what goes on at the UOP. Recruiters were told if they were contacted by DOE personell, they were first to report this to management before participating in an interview. Recruiters uniformly said they felt intimidated by this practice. After managers were told the DOE review would be conducted as schools in Northern California and Phoenix, UOP management told some recruiters at the California locations they should take leave. When interviewed, these recruiters indicated they were absent as they had reputations for being honest and frank. M SLC, UtahU.S.A.
Jun 24 2007
University Of Phoenix ripoff dishonest fraudulent billing Phoenix Arizona
When I enrolled at University of Phoenix on January 2007 and selected financial aid I did it in the faith that I would also get my Stafford Loans without a problem. Counselor Nichole Thompson assured me that my enrollment with Portland Community College would not interfere with my availability for Stafford Loans at University of Phoenix as long as I was not currently attending both colleges and I was not. I was told that when I finished my term at Portland Community College that I could receive my financial aid at UOP without a problem. I was told my Stafford Loans were never received by the financial aid department at UOP. I obviously was misinformed by MS. Thompson's hard sell tactics and UOP's financial aid department. As a consequence I had to withdraw from UOP because I could not afford to pay out of pocket. I received a letter from University of Phoenix dated May 29, 2007 concerning my account. They claim I owe them a balance of 1, 462, 50 for the remaining credits in my program of choice, which I did not even log in to. They are now threatening to turn me over to credit collections if I do not give them $1,462,50. On the www.website ripoff.com there are over 212 complaints for the same thing. I did complete my obligation by finishing the one class I took with an A grade. They collected $487.50 from Federal Title IV funds, for that class. I faxed my withdrawal before the 29th day (per. UOP Policy) and sent it by certified mail and have signatures as a receipt; therefore, I do not owe for classes I did not take Just like financial aid I do not owe for that which was not used. If they persist that I owe them money then I was misinformed by hard sell tactics and unclear language in their financial agreement. When they stated in their letter that my signature on admissions and financial documents is an agreement that I would be financially responsible for all incurred cost, which they state have been covered by Federal Title IV funds. I kept copies of all signed documents and that is just not true. As their letter states the only incurred cost is the $ 487.50 for tuition expenses, which they collected from Federal Title IV funds. They stated the returned balance was unearned (indicating I did not earn something)? I say it is because they gave me, the student, nothing for it; therefore, they did not earn it. As far as I know American consumers are not held responsible for goods they do not receive .My education and my personal life has been interrupted and I feel like they need to be brought to justice for their unethical business practices. Everyone needs google the Federal Trade Commission and file a complaint there as well. Dorolis Bullhead City, ArizonaU.S.A.
Nov 29 2007
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX I should've done my research before signing up! Phoenix Arizona
Like everyone else, I thought UOP was going to be great. My Admissions counselor made it sound like signing up would be one of the best things I'll ever do for myself. He started my FAFSA paperwork and everything was going good. He explained how the GI Bill would work and that it would cover my whole tuition. So I thought Great! I really don't have to worry about paying for school out of pocket. Well, everything started going great up until a few days ago. A co-worker of mine asked me how classes were going and asked how much my GI Bill is covering. And I didn't even think about my GI Bill until he mentioned that. So I try to get in touch with my financial aid counselor and said that she didn't know that I submitted any paperwork for it. Instead of trying to find out if it was submitted, she re-directed me to their VA office. Well, the VA office told me they never received anything. So now I have to complete extra forms that should have been taken care of before I started classes. I went onto the VA website to find out if they'll cover the classes I already took. But as far as I'm concerned, they don't. Can anyone answer that question for me? Anyways - when I was trying to find out more about UOP's financial policy, I came across this website and saw how horrible UOP really is. So I'm dropping all my classes and never going back. I realized that it is not convenient to be going to UOP because you have to log on and post dumb ass messages to people that say the same things, so you really aren't learning anything. I've been losing sleep because I stay up reading a bunch of pages that are just crap because the teacher only finds one or two things to talk about in those pages. All the other pages are just useless. I'm not having any problems taking care of my loan payments... yet. I'm sure they will try to pin something on me saying that I have to pay the entire amount of the loan, even though I only took two classes. I know some of you have said that you can't get the Official Withdrawal form from them. Well, my financial aid counselor has been nice enough to send one to me. So if you need it, please let me know. I want to try to help out as much as possible. Because I know that everyone does not have the luxury of throwing money away and wasting time for a degree that doesn't even count in the real world. Jfd4o8 San Jose, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Nov 06 2007
University Of Phoenix Military, financial aid, money, education, recruitment tactics Phoenix Arizona
UoP treats military students like cash pinatas. When I first spoke with my financial advisor as part of the initial enrollment process, I was told that I could not attend without financial aid. She explained that I could just apply for grants since I would qualify, but she suggested that I also apply for loans just in case something happened and the military could not cover my courses. So, being young and naive, I applied for everything. Once my FAFSA was processed, I received a letter asking for verification from the Department of Education. I asked my financial advisor for assistance, and she mysteriously disappeared, so the school gave me a new advisor, and when I say new, I mean brand new to the job. She had no idea what I was supposed to do with a verification letter. I ended up losing my first disbursement and had to get a private loan to cover my fees. My first few courses went smoothly, until I got the order to deploy. I had to withdraw from a course that I was 3 weeks into. My original advisor had quit for reasons unknown to me until now, (she had been threatened to increase enrollment or lose her job), so I had to explain my situation to a new advisor. She said that I could take online courses, but I mentioned that there was not an adequate internet connection in my destination. I was enrolled in an email course, since email was sent and received just fine. My first course was Psychology. Well, I would have loved the course, but I did not receive any reading material or resources since the internet connection was so unstable. I told the instructor and he said that I will have to do what I can. Well, I passed the course, but with a grade too low for the military tuition assistance to cover. I asked to not be enrolled in any more email courses because I would not be able to pay for any more until I returned home. I was dropped from my classes, and I was billed for the psychology class AND the class I had to withdraw from due to deployment. I was also put into repayment status on my student loans because my financial advisor said that a copy of my orders would be forwarded to my lender, which did not happen. I came home to a judgement on my account from UoP and wounded credit from not paying my student loans. I fought the judgement, but I have still not been able to recover my credit. I once applied for a job at the local newspaper to be a part-time website administrator. When I told the interviewer that I was attending UoP for a bachelor's in IT, he said, University of Phoenix? and started laughing. Immediately after, he stood up, shook my hand, and said, Good luck. We'll call you when we make a decision. I didn't even receive a phone call saying I didn't get the job. If anyone can offer some legal advice as to what I can do to recover wasted time and money, please let me know. Their inadequacies as an institution have cost me thousands, and I am soon to be in irreversable debt. James Tucson, ArizonaU.S.A.
Dec 28 2007
University Of Phoenix Incompetent instructors Phoenix Arizona
I believe that you can get an education on line via the University of Phoenix. That being said, you absolutely CANNOT rely on their instructors. Be very prepared to spend many more hours each week than the only 10 or so I was told would be needed at the time I initially signed up at UOP. I have just completed the Associates in Business program and during the entire time I did not once have an instructor who could get a 'real' teaching job in a Bricks and Mortar University. Additionally, my finance counselor changed at least 6 times during my involvement, each time with absolutely NO warning whatsoever. Also, several of the instructors screwed up my grades and it was like pulling teeth to get them changed. In one case, I could not get them to change an OBVIOUS grade mistake even though I provided a stack of emails from the instructor showing that she completely confused my grade on a major project with that of another student; I eventually just gave up because I had become so completely frustrated with the complete lack of cooperation from the University, including my (also ever-changing) academic advisor. Dennis c Villa Park, IllinoisU.S.A.
Jul 03 2004
University Of Phoenix Online false advertising not upholding policy Phoenix Arizona
I was enrolled in the class, EDD/574. I received a notice that I was autodropped from this class, for not posting enough. This happened, not only to me, but to several others in the class, as well. It appears that the computer autodropped us, for not posting two times in a week, even though the syllabus plainly stated that students were to post once per week. This is a quote from the syllabus.. Attendance and Participation You are expected to be in attendance all three of the scheduled weeks by posting a minimum of one post. Attendance is taken electronically. So, now, several of us have been auto-dropped, for doing exactly what the syllabus told us to do. This class is apparently looked at as an independent study class. From what I understand, it only meets one or two times in the on campus version. Therefore, when you read in the syllabus post{ing} a minimum of one post, you take it for what it says. It makes perfect sense. Basically, the entire purpose for this class is to write the outline for your research project. The reason for posting is to ask any questions that you have. So, it makes perfect sense that one would only be required to post once per week, just to let someone know that you are still around, even if you have no questions. A syllabus is an official representation of the University of Phoenix. I understand, now, that this was perhaps an error in the syllabus. However, error or not, it is still what the students in the class saw. Error or not, it still is a representation of the University of Phoenix. And when the University of Phoenix does not stand by it, it only serves to make the University of Phoenix look bad. I have received word that, despite the best efforts of both my academic counselor and the instructor from the class, University of Phoenix intends to do nothing about the situation. Look at the example that University of Phoenix is setting for its education students. What would happen if we, as teachers, were to make a mistake in our classroom, but then have the students pay the price for it? How long would we be able to hold a teaching position, if we did that? Not long. However, this is exactly the example that University of Phoenix is setting for its education students. As an example, look at one of University of Phoenix's students. What if that person had their own classroom and distributed a handout, containing instructions for an assignment. The instructions state that the students are to write a 500 word paper and turn in as part of their completed project. Of course, some of the students probably will write more anyway, so they are safe. However, some of the students write exactly 500 words. When the graded papers are given back, those students find they have made an F. The reason is because the instructor _meant_ to say 5000 words, but accidentally left off the last zero. The students protest, but the instructor will not budge, because all previous classes have written 5000 words and because some of their classmates wrote that many words, as well. I am sure that the same people who made the decision to do nothing about our situation would gasp in horror and say that teacher should not be teaching anywhere. However, it is the same scenario. It is the example that University of Phoenix is modeling for us to follow. When I first found out that nothing was going to be done, I was stunned that this was the way University of Phoenix conducted business. However, I finally managed to calm myself and begin to look at this as a little break. I thought So, I'll have to take the class over. ...oh well, I have the work already done...all I'll have to do is just post hi two times each week and then send in the same outline. I can look at it like a little break. I managed to finally accept that it would now be another month before I would actually receive my degree, because of something that was not my fault. I managed to finally accept that I would be separated from several of the people I have become acquainted with during my classes, so far....people I have learned to work with.....despite the fact that University of Phoenix emphasizes over and over the importance of team work, and the importance of developing a working relationship with those people on your team. I finally managed to begin to get over that contradiction in policy and what is actually said. However, today, I received yet another blow. I enrolled with the University of Phoenix because of the awesome claims they made about how nice it is to be enrolled with University of Phoenix and run a single parent household. I am a single parent. Because of the endless work that I do to meet my assignments for University of Phoenix, I have had to cut back in some other areas. Therefore, I use my loan check to help out with expenses, in places where I have had to cut back on income. Today, I found out that because I followed the syllabus....because I did exactly what I was told to do.....because I was auto-dropped for that....now my loan check will not be issued for another month. I simply will not have enough credit hours until then. Why? you ask. The reason is because I received 0 credit hours from that class. As a single parent, I had already budgeted, based on the previous dates that I had been told the check would be released. So, now the distress being caused is not only emotional, but financial, as well. Both my counselor and my instructor for that class have done everything they can do to remedy the situation. They have no power to go any further, they have been told there is nothing that can be done. So, I have tried to call and talk to someone, who has more authority. I find out that students are not allowed to talk to people, who have authority. We are only allowed to talk to our counselors. So, we can't get anything done about this. Michelle Waynesville, North CarolinaU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on University Of Phoenix
Jul 14 2008
University Of Phoenix Billing Overcharge Phoenix Arizona
I went through a nightmare last summer with these people. Took an online class (which was a joke), paid upfront for it only to get bills, threats and overcharges 3 months after the class ended. These idiots made me go back 4 months to find the initial charge, send in a copy of the bill (email not good enough--I could make that up) by fax then fight for a month on the phone with them. Finally got it resolved. This summer, thinking its all in the past, sign up for a class (was going to start masters program with them but the enrollment coordinator was like a used car salesman and turned me off). I need a class like this for a pay raise at work, and figured UofP was easy. The morons double billed me for the class when they said they would bill correct amount 60 days after the class start date. I am fighting with them now to try to cancel out! This time at least they apologized. They said they processed refund last week...not there. Complete Liars and Frauds! Steer clear of this place!! Disgruntled Portland, MaineU.S.A.
Nov 29 2012
University of Phoenix Buyer beware. UOP rip-off Phoenix, Arizona
I had the unfortunate experience of both attending and working at the University of Phoenix. As a student I recognized that the levels of teaching were very inconsistent. One class would have a very articulate and professional instructor and the next class would be the complete opposite. While I was attending school here, my advisor would send me updates telling me that my classes had changed or that we would have a different instructor. Finally one of our instructors tipped us off that many of the faculty members had taken teaching positions at Grand Canyon University or other universities. When the floodgates opened, they opened wide. Though faculty turnover is significant at the University of Phoenix, it pales in comparison to the staff turnover. Every week many of the enrollment, academic and financial advisors are shown the door. Some because they did not recruit enough new students. Others because they were singled out by the corrupt management at the school. In the department I worked in, there were so many discrepencies in the the way that employees were evaluated and how the work load was distributed. One of the academic advisors I used to work with shared with me the details of her managers unbelievable micromanagement and harrassment. Her manager Ernest Sears would always distribute his management responsibilities to his employees and then hold them accountable for work he was supposed to be doing. He is also well known for his womanizing at work and afterhours. The happiest day of my life was the day I transferred out of that department. Of course the University of Phoenix counts on being able to use smoke and mirrors to hide the deep seated problems that exist. They think that they can cover up the glaring lack of leadership and the fact that student enrollment continues it's downhill slide, but they can't. This is one for profit university that's all hat and no cowboy. I have happily moved on to another career field. For those who are reading the comments about University of Phoenix on this website, and contemplating attending school here, I have two words for you...Caveat Emptor. It's Latin for let the buyer beware. In the highly competitive world of for profit universities, it really does pay for you to do your homework.
Mar 15 2013
University of Phoenix Cheating students one class at a time Phoenix, Arizona
I had the unfortunate experience of both attending and working at the University of Phoenix. As a student I recognized that the levels of teaching were very inconsistent. One class would have a very articulate and professional instructor and the next class would be the complete opposite. While I was attending school here, my advisor would send me updates telling me that my classes had changed or that we would have a different instructor. Finally one of our instructors tipped us off that many of the faculty members had taken teaching positions at Grand Canyon University or other universities. When the floodgates opened, they opened wide.  Though faculty turnover is significant at the University of Phoenix, it pales in comparison to the staff turnover. Every week many of the enrollment, academic and financial advisors are shown the door. Some because they did not recruit enough new students. Others because they were singled out by the corrupt management at the school. In the department I worked in, there were so many discrepencies in the the way that employees were evaluated and how the work load was distributed. One of the academic advisors I used to work with shared with me the details of her managers unbelievable micromanagement and harrassment. Her manager Ernest Sears would always distribute his management responsibilities to his employees and then hold them accountable for work he was supposed to be doing. He is also well known for his womanizing at work and afterhours. The happiest day of my life was the day I transferred out of that department. Of course the University of Phoenix counts on being able to use smoke and mirrors to hide the deep seated problems that exist. They think that they can cover up the glaring lack of leadership and the fact that student enrollment continues it's downhill slide, but they can't. This is one for profit university that's all hat and no cowboy. I have happily moved on to another career field.   For those who are reading the comments about University of Phoenix on this website, and contemplating attending school here, I have two words for you...Caveat Emptor. It's Latin for let the buyer beware. In the highly competitive world of for profit universities, it really does pay for you to do your homework.
Jun 01 2013
University of Phoenix added more courses and cost for education Phoenix Internet
While I was in school, the academic advisor sent me an e-mail, stating that I would now have to take 2 new courses - 590A and 590B.  This now extended the length of time  I would have to be in school, and it also added to the amount of money I would now have to borrow from FAFSA. I was told that if I did not agree to the additional courses, I would not be allowed to graduate. So, I took the 2 courses.  I completed 590A with an A.  Then, while I was enrolled in 590B, my dad became ill, and I had just recovered from a stroke.  I managed to complete the second part of 590.  However, when I first submitted my paper showing my work, I was informed by the professor that I had submitted my information a day ahead of schedule, and I  was basically ordered to call UoP Tech, and have them remove the paper. I did as I was told, and when  I re-submitted the paper, I inadvertently submitted an earlier version, which was not complete.  I was sent an e-mail by the professor, that I had an F on my final paper.   I was shocked, and I asked why. Professor Vicki Burns stated that I had numerous spelling and grammatical errors, as well as improper formatting in my bibliographies.  I checked all these areas BEFORE I submitted my work, and found there were absolutely NO errors of the type indicated by the professor. I had the distinct impression that she was look for a way to fail me.   I went through the appeals committee, and nothing I said mattered.  Now they want me to pay them an additional $3700+, and have told me that I must retake 590A and B, in order to complete my Master's in Nursing. I have worked extremely hard, and have numerous personal problems:  I had a stroke due to a fall in January 2013, and made a recoverey, which the neurosurgeon was surprised at.  I even sent the school the medical records, and they ignored this. My dad was ill with Alzheimer's, and died December 24th, 2012.  Through all this, I kept hoping I would be able to complete my MSN to go on and hopefully become a Nurse Practitioner student.   I feel that the school has been extremely cold, heartless, and dishonest in their interactions with me.   Joan M. Enering, R.N., BSN
Entity: Phoenix, Internet
Mar 30 2014
University of Phoenix, Inc. Apollo Group Fraud By Deception Phoenix Arizona
 I already possess an AAS degree from Youngstown State University where I graduated in 2002. I wanted to finish up my BAS in Information Technology being I had only 8 classes to go. I contacted the University of Phoenix online to finish up my degree because I have medical problems that doesn't allow me to walk to classes or sit for long periods of time in a classroom setting and was given a run around and placed in Chat Rooms which made no sense what-so-ever they would ask for personal information or another term I can use is Spoofed me. The class I thought I was attending I was told was only 5 weeks long, 3 weeks in I was advised via email to get out it was a scam so when I tried to unenroll from thier supposed University I was given a hard time. I filed FAFSA and have proof that it was accepted but was told I never signed any of the documents, well that was because they were not eligible to recieve my grants and loans. They harassed me constantly telling me I had to sign documents which I am glad I did not do. The advisor I would speak to was out of Akron, OH by the name of Charles when I asked to be unenrolled then I got sent to a lady by the name of Franchesca Fiero who was in Phoenix, AZ. It was a big mess but I never once put my signature on any paperwork for them. By advise I got away from them in the 3 week period and now they demand payment of $1590.00 from me and have gone to all three major credit bureaus to try to make me pay them. I refuse to and have contacted the Ohio Attorney General's Office about this matter. I get told that a lady by the name of Julie Kelly who claims she is from the Office of Dispute Management and has a Juris Doctorate Degree tells the Attorney General's Office that I refuse to sign FERPA forms for them to release information to the AG.  I did my research on this woman, she has no JD from Oklahoma as she claims she does, she misrepresents pertinent information to the  Ohio AG's office and continues to tell them that until they get my signature on documents that has nothing to do with my supposed records she refuses to send them anything. She told the Ohio AG's office that I finished my courses with the University of Phoenix which is a blatent lie because I was signed up with Strayer University during the time period I was suppose have been taking courses with them.The other day I recieved a letter from this woman claiming As stated in the most recent letter I sent to the Ohio Attorney General's office that I claim University of Phoenix and the Apollo Group falsely misrepresented itself as a State University. Yes I did becuse they are not a State University Distant learning facility as I had signed up for, they are a FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT CENTER WHO ALSO GOES BY THE APOLLO GROUP. According to Ms. Kelly's statement and I quote Apollo Education Group aka Apollo Group is a PUBLICALLY TRADED CORPORATION, she goes on to say that they comply with all laws, rules and regulations governing such institutions. She also goes on to say that the ownership of UofP is clearly stated at the beginning of the student catalog (that I never recieved), reciept of which you acknowledged upon signing of your Enrollment Agreement. She goes on to say that the UofP is accredited by the Ohio Board of Regents to operate within the state, (blatent lie and misrepresentation of Information) but has never held itself out as a State Run INSTITUTION or in any matter withheld information regarding ownership AS QUOTED. This is a lie I went to the Ohio Board of Regents website the are not listed amongst those Universities or Independant Colleges in Ohio. Here is a list of those that are in the University catagory:Union Institute & UniversityUnited Theological SeminaryUniversity of DaytonUniversity of FindlayUniversity of Mount UnionUniversity of Northwestern OhioUniversity of Notre DameUniversity of PittsburghUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of ScrantonUniversity of Southern California
87, Report #1208848
Feb 13 2015
University of Phoenix Apollo Group Unsatisfied Ex-Student Online Phoenix, AZ Internet, AZ
 I started the college in 2006 till 2009. I withdrew from the program as high costs. In 2007 or 2008 they put me on a warning because I had upgraded my microsoft word and did not realize the university was not equipped and had to elect the 2003-2004 for send the document. I received a Fail for the course and had to fight it. It was a lenghthy process and eventually went in my favor. Every time I with drew from a course in the time frame allowed they reqeusted out of pocket mony and did not use the already thousands of dollars taken from my student loans. They did more than a few times and now. I am seriously fustrated and in over my head now with $50,000 plus in student loan debt because this supposed University withdrew the max and gave me less than average education. I feel take advantage of and I hope there will be the day that the ex-students for this supposed University receive justice for the misleading and misrepersentation this University has created and taken from the once student.
Oct 02 2006
University Of Phoenix ripoff - university is complete fraud Nationwide
When UoP came out for a college day at my job, I told them that I wanted more info from them. I scheduled a meeting. While the recruiter was talking, she stated that my job would pay 100% of the tuition. In fact, she mentioned this several times. Once I signed all the forms, then she says that oops, that number was wrong. They'll only pay a small fraction of it. So I got stuck attending classes. The classes are a joke. They find any jerk off the street who will teach these classes. They have you purchase books that you will hardly use and policies change as often as weather changes in Kansas...every 5 minutes. Check out this email I received from their office. I was asking a question about formatting papers and this is the response I get! Now, tell me that they're not a worthless diploma factory out to scam students! I get charged $1050.00 for tuitition and 70.00 for books which is actually accessing their website to download locked pdf files. Inquiry: My team is needing some assistance. We are having a difference of opinion regarding APA formatting for headings. We need to know which example is correct: Example 1:Level One Heading (title)Level Three Heading (heading of paragraph/section) Level Four Heading (subheading of paragraph/section) OR Example 2: Level One Heading (title) Level One Heading (heading of paragraph/section)Level Three Heading (subheading of paragraph/section) Level Four Heading (sub-subheading of paragraph/section) The first example is following the formatting in the APA book, section 3.32. The second example is following the formatting of the APA sample from the Writing Center. This is confusing because the APA book says one thing, the Writing Center sample shows something different, and the instructors have their own spin on what they want on APA. There is no consistancy. Dear Deanna: This in a microcosm is what you should expect from a career. Most large corporations have standard formats for inter-office communications, but inevitably you will encounter a supervisor who wants them done slightly differently, or you will find yourself in a situation that is an exception to the rule. Rule #1 at UOP: the instructor has the last word in the course of the class, so the student must adhere to the instructor's requirement (as in any corporate situation) but return to the standard once the course is over. Regarding the difference between the CWE and the APA manual, the Boeing Corporation employee manual specifies standard security procedures throughout the company, but in certain locations in Southern California, those procedures are augmented slightly to increase security in certain aspects. The point is that the closest authority has the more immediate power. In this case, the APA manual specifies various aspects that the University of Phoenix, with its vast series of campuses and differences in student body, has amended, in most cases to make them simpler (easier). This is the point: the king tells you to wear red--you wear red. But outside the castle, the duke tells you to wear blue--you wear blue. In your village, the chieftain tells you to wear brown--you wear brown. The closest authority has the most immediate power. Regards, Tim Guymon, Project Manager University of Phoenix | Axia College of University of Phoenix phone (800) 366-9693 | email: library@phoenix.edu Deanna Olathe, KansasU.S.A.
Apr 17 2006
University Of Phoenix Online University of Phoenix Online - letter to management Phoenix Arizona
A letter I wrote to management as a UOP Mil Division EA: As a former service member and dealing with service members everyday at work. I am proud at what I can do for them because I am proud and grateful for what they do for my country. To provide a service member the ability to make themselves better, to educate them to provide them a basis of a better future because they are guaranteeing our future and freedom makes me very proud to be part of this division here. It is that pride and sense of duty that has carried me here in the military division. I find however, that is not what drives this division. It is the bottom line and that is to get as many students into the school in order to secure their money and funding for the benefit of the bottom line. It is definitively apparent that our funding, our tuition and financial aid is geared towards maximizing a return and pushing the envelope of acceptability and affordability. It is quizzical that we compare ourselves to other brick and mortar schools and their tuition costs. But I have not seen one not one graph that displays the our tuition costs compared to other ONLINE Universities, Colleges or Degrees. It is apparent that as a university that we seek to maintain two missions here, one is our accreditation in order to continue to secure the DOE funding from our students. And also to grow with as many students as possible and rewarding those individuals that do so. Education, knowledge and academic excellence is a secondary goal if tertiary goal in growth. Yet, in that growth we address the loss in reputation from low admissions hurdles with an ever larger marketing machine to say that we are premiere. This is totally different from other organization who let OUTSIDE organizations rate and rank them or who allow for the growth and acceptance of their institution show by their merits. It is apparent we do so more so by our banner ads and marketing campaigns. It is ironic that as a marketing major that I demean this process as it has been highly successful. But the marketing of the insinuation does not show the difficulty within which the future student must operate or enter this university. We have been told to set the right expectations. To do the students right. And we do so. But the minute they enter the university the services or the lack of services we provide become apparent. It is not the fault of the individuals who provide the service but it is the fault of the institution who rewards MONTHLY goal makers and overworks, inundates EAs, FAs, ACs to the point where we cannot provide satisfactory service but focus on one thing - THE NUMBERS. And the numbers are rewarded. It is interesting a colleague once told me that whoever drew up those numbers probably did so in a vacuum. There is no basis for the numbers and invariably 70% to 80% of the people in those positions do not make the numbers. It is also interesting that the rate of attrition is probably just as high. In a standard bell curve the numbers should be moved not the people. But the people are apparently the ones that are wrong and they are told so everyday. Everyday we focus on the monthly number because that is the most important number. At the cost of letting our students become numbers. If one examines the challenges to students entering this university and maintaining their status in this university it is not the student that challenges themselves but the institution. Which on a purely academic level is totally acceptable. But prior to acceptance the REAL measure of acceptance to this university is not a person's academic experience or ability to perform BUT their financial viability to pay or secure financing to pay tuition. Tuition that continues to rise. Why does UOP offer ground classes at less expensive tuition amount then the ONLINE? Is ONLINE not a less expensive business model since it is ONLINE? Yet we do so because we seek to push the envelope of financial viability for the sake of PROFITS. THIS IS WHERE THE MISSION AND THE PRIORITIES CLASH. Education by its truest nature and virtue is not about PROFITS its about the spread of knowledge and then secondarily to seek the monetary benefits of that knowledge. We seek the monetary benefits before we provide knowledge and additionally we hold that service of knowledge hostage to students who cannot provide that priority to us - i.e. tuition. Additionally, we provide not alternatives to help our students attain their education if only collections. Our relationships with our ground and sister campus is strained at best and our systems and transferal ability is stodgy. As a former service member serving other service members I am proud to do what I do here as an individual. But it shames to see that the drive of this division and most probably this institution is not to help people get an education but provide an alternative to education at the highest possible net gain to the institution at the cost of the individuals who work here and the student. Sometime perhaps someone should speak the truth and not spout the virtues of a mission that is not real. The mission is essentially all in the students head, we only provide that option and facilitate it. But I never think we ever truly support it. The future will be very difficult for this institution. Because we are lacking on that service side. It is good to have many options here, many schools, many colleges, alternatives etc. and I think that is what will continue to make this school grow in the short term. But eventually, the support or service side of this university will be outsourced to people with more knowledge, dedication and training or it will the Achilles heel Jon Phoenix, ArizonaU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on University Of Phoenix
Feb 29 2008
University Of Phoenix,University Of Phoenix-- Axia College University of Phoenix has ruined my life! Troy Michigan
My company would pay for my classes at UOP. My enrollment counselor pressured me to not envolve my work funds and seek Financial Aid and geeked me up by telling me that I would get the maximum amount of money back from the government for free (approx 4,200.00). So I filled out my financial paperwork as she suggested using Fin Aid as my primary source of payment. The UOP FA department wanted info from me that even the IRS couldn't understand the reason for asking for such info. So, FA kept needing more info for about 45 days into my classes. I decided to utilize my company for pymt and since they were a secondary form of pymt at this point, they were awaiting pymt from FA and they would pay the rest. I couldn't switch my pymt options until my next block of courses, so now I have 1900.00 awaiting to go to collections. During my Finals, I was blocked out of courses and my grades dropped to failing grades. Now my employer wont pay at all. Is there a way a can get any help in this situation? Diva327 detroit, MichiganU.S.A.
Entity: Troy, Michigan
Feb 09 2008
University Of Phoenix Axia College Of The University Of Phoenix com140 class, financial problem Phoenix Arizona
I started classes at Axia college in October of 2007. I was having problems in class for awhile because this is the first time I have gone to college and doing it online. After I got things ironed out, things started to go smoother for. I was getting good feed back from both my instructors, even to the point that my com 140 class instructor wanted to use one of my assisgnments in future classes. The instructor in my com 140 class was giving me good feed back and no mention of me failing. At the end of the first block I finally got my grades. Low and behold I got a B in my other class and an F in my com 140 class. I was shocked with the F. I did my final report, but I evidently sent it in the wrong format. SO she said she had to give me an F. I disagree. Yes if I sent in wrong format I should have some points taken off, but not to the extent of an F. I feel they did this so they could make more money. I was going to try and do that but the cost for me to do this is $755.00. That is a ripoff to me. I feel I did not deserve the F! I e-mailed dean jambon the enrollment counselor and told him I would have to withdraw from school. He said he would take care of it. Well he did not. Well now ROn Smith the academic counselor, states that I would have to pay financial aid, student loan, and pell grant back. I e-mailed him and told him I would pay the money back that I had received from the balance I had credited to my account and nothing else. I also told him that the university needs to send the money back to financial aid which I had not used and tolds them that money did not belong to them. I am really confused with their actions. I really do not know what my options are about the money Judy Cardington, OhioU.S.A.
Aug 17 2008
University Phoenix - University of Phoneix Online Chargeback Scam Orlando Florida
I took a class online wit uop in May of 2007. Finished in June, then in August i get a phone call from stating that i or my bank requested a charge back of $75 to my debit card. I had no idea what they were talking about, i told them i never got a credit from them. So i called my bank and they confirmed that no credit had come from UoP. So i called Phoenix back and they said well there is one and if you don't pay it it will go onto your credit report as being unpaid since May. and true to their word, i have a collection on my credit report for something i never received. To this day i have yet to get a chargeback on my account. I guess its somewhere in cyberspace. Nichole Orlando, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Orlando, Florida
Mar 25 2005
University Of Phoenix Ripoff Online Financial Aid Nightmare!! Phoenix Arizona online Internet
I transferred to UOP in June 2003 after my semester was over with University of Maryland University College. I decided to attend UOP-online because of the accelerated degree program. Five weeks sure did sound better that 15 weeks. Now I wish I would have stay with UMUC becuase they always notified me if there was some kind of mistake with my financial aid or any changes that could affect it. The nightmare began March 2004 and something told me to check to check to see if I could download my class folders. It was never a Tech Support issue so I called my advisor, left a message as usual, and called my financial aid advisor. I left message after message, email after email but to no avail did I receive another call until class was already under way. My sinancial aid advisor finally called back, but she was not Corinne, she was someone new. She couldn't find any new verifications for me that Corinne had received from me. Prior to Corinne been switched out or promoted, as I was told, she advised me that there was a network crashed and it affected some individuals aid and they would have to manually input it. I expressed my concerns but she reassured me that everything would be credited correctly. The new advisor told me that i had a break in attendance, and that is what affected my aid. I always spoke with my advisors prior to taking a break to make sure my aid would not be affected, therefore, I never had a break in attendance. I could not attend class until the issue was resolved and it is not until this day. I spoke with the corporate office and told them about the transactions between Corinne and I and they acted like Corinne never existed and that there was never a crash. In order to begin my next class (I was withdrawn from my previous class)I had to get my aid in order because they said I owed them $1050. How? My loans and aid covered my tuition. I cannot receive my transcript until I pay the bill in which I should not have a bill. I constantly receive statements and/or calls from them when I keep telling them over and over again what happened. i am going to speak with a lawyer because something is not right here. Something has to be done about the financial aid issues with UOP. Toya virginia beach, VirginiaU.S.A.
Aug 30 2004
University Of Phoenix Online ripoff Phoenix Arizona
My husband is taking courses with UOP and they continue to sign him up for the same type of courses. Nothing is being learned. I have read the other postings, a little late. But was wandering why none of the postings have also gone to the better business bureau website and posted their complaints. According to the BBB, this company is in good standing. We will be posting our complaints. http://www.data.bbb.org/phoenix2.asp Jennifer Dallas, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Sep 20 2004
University Of Phoenix Online rip-off! Complete nightmare! Liars! Phoenix Arizona
My husband went to UOP online for one semester and it has been a complete nightmare. They lied about finacial aide by saying that all of it would be paid for in grants. We still have owe money on one class that was over $2500. It was one creative writing course that the teacher would never help him with. The books we got the first time were wrong. Then they took him out of the class because he didn't have his books and still want to charge us for the little bit he did do. They put him in another class with the right books and he got an A which was NEVER given to him and they still want money for a clas that they never gave him a grade for. This is the very short version of this but i can tell you to STAY AWAY FROM UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX. It is a rip off and they lie lie lie!! Christy Columbus, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Jun 29 2009
University of Phoenix Scammed Me Phoenix Arizona Internet
My name is Jodi and I am a former student at the online college University of Phoenix. I am writing today as a victim of fraud at the hands of this so-called University. Prior to enrollment, I noticed that the counselor, Clayton Preis, seemed all to eager for me to enroll. He started by promising me all this financial aid money ($5000.00) that I would receive from my first loan disbursement. I mean I did need the money since I only make about $810.00 a month so I went with it. The application process was a bit odd since all Clay worried about was getting my fafsa filled out. After all this was done I started my first set of classes. That's when red flags started to raise. I noticed that 90% of the students knowledge of academia were sub par to say the least. I mean I was starting to wonder if I was in a class with anyone that spoke english. Their grammar was bad and the speling was worse then a five year olds. I decided to do some research and found the website ripoffreport.com. I looked up UOPX and found thousands of reports against this company, most, by people recommending to get out before it's too late and they ruin your credit PLUS your chances of ever going to another college. Not only that but their so-called diplomas aren't even accepted by any jobs in the United States. I called them immediately so I could withdraw and that's when everyone acted like they could not withdraw me or they would simply hang-up on me. When I finally got ahold of my financial advisor she said I would have a bill of $350.00 for only my first week of class. I feel this is unfair because I was mislead into believing that could receive a useable diploma from this institution. I believe the fact that I am a low-income single mother of 1 and I have a severe mental illness were taken advantage of. I believe that UOPX will enroll anyone with a pulse and financial aid thereby taking advantage of them. I believe their curricula are substandard to say the least and I also believe their lendor Sallie Mae are just as guilty for actually funding this money do a diploma mill. I hope you read my story and realize there are thousands if not millions of victims just like me. Thank you for your time. Joditurner85 Wellston, OhioU.S.A.
Feb 28 2009
University Of Phoenix Online LIARS AND SCAMMERS Phoenix Arizona Internet
I wish I had read this website before enrolling in this preposterous so-called university. I truly feel blessed that my situation is a little better but I am sure that I'm not quite out of the woods yet. Early this year, I decided to pursue my bachelors degree and with my schedule, online classes will be the most logical and convenient means to my goal. I researched a handful of universities specializing in my particular field of interest and I requested additional information on University of Phoenix. My admissions counselor was nice at first, she sure made everything sounds so easy and that everything is entirely in the hands of the student, with complete control of your own time, etc. However, the moment I said Let me think it over was when she started becoming more aggressive in her approach. She would literally call me almost everyday, sometimes just to say hi or see if you have any questions and it was becoming rather a harassment than assistance. After some thinking, I decided to give it a shot but still have plenty of concerns. My number one concern is my financial situation. I told my counselor specifically that I DO NOT want student loans -- I only want federal financial aid grant, like what was given to me when I studied for my Associates degree. She promised me that I will qualify for financial aid. She said that I have nothing to worry about and even to quote what she said, If you don't qualify for the pell grant, you will only pay $500 out of pocket for the remainder of the year and that is exactly what she told me. At the time, I didn't think it made very much sense but she found a way to explain it to me through a web of confusing lies that I eventually became entangled in the whole thing. It wasn't until I filled out the FAFSA paperwork (with her constant promise that I will NOT have to pay out of pocket or be signed up for loans) that I found out, I was given a Stafford Loan. That's not what I wanted and I very specifically told her that I DO NOT want student loans of ANY kind. I do not care to put myself in a situation where I owe large amounts of money upon graduation. I can wait another year to go to school, I'm only 21...I have the time. In fact, the first thing I told my counselor is that I was browsing their programs to see what interests me and that I am getting my financial situation together so I can put myself through school again next year. That's when she started practically stalking me on the phone. To put fuel to the fire, I was then contacted by the financial aid advisor who informed me that I will be required to pay $500 for the remainder of the quarter (not the year, like my counselor said) and then another $5,500 over the remainder three quarters. NO ONE ever said anything about $5,500!! My counselor never mentioned it ONCE. I was very outraged by this unpleasant little detail my counselor had manage to completely leave out, so I called my counselor about it...NO ANSWER...two calls and an email later...still no response. I told the financial aid advisor that I want to withdraw. By that time it was day seven of my first week. She told me that she will work with enrollment so that I will not be charged anything for the week I attended. Then I received two things in the mail. One informing me that my financial aid status did not qualify me to defer my tuition and another mail informing me that my $515 is due NOW. So imagine my anger upon finding out that I am being expected to pay that amount after I was promised that I would not have to. I emailed the financial aid advisor back and I used her words against her, I had her own words, in writing that I will not be charged so fortunately, she is writing off the charges and she promised me that everything is taken care of. However, I am severely doubtful since all they have given me are EMPTY PROMISES. I have read horror stories online of people being sent to credit collections by this bogus university. I do not want this to happen to me and I am highly concerned that it will. That is why I have to get everything in writing from them, so I can prove my case. I have them all documented in case I (or anyone) ever decide to file a class action lawsuit against this awful university. I have yet to hear from my admissions counselor, and I do not wish to hear back from her. I wish she was fired so she can't scam another prospective student. It is very challenging to get ahold of anyone...my admissions counselor used to harass me daily into enrolling and the moment I said withdrawal, it was as if she disappeared. The customer service from this university is disgusting, even non-existent. Classes are ridiculous, I spent more time online than I did when I took on-campus classes. Convenience? I don't think so! most of the time, the students are participating by being forced to respond to classmates, the class felt ridiculous to me. This is not my first time taking online classes, yet this definitely felt like the most disorganized and unprofessional altogether. I certainly do hope someone will file a class action lawsuit, this university must be stopped! Personally, I am thinking of referring this case to a consumer investigator on my local news channel and I will write to him about this scam. I will refer him to this website for more evidence. Thank you all, and if you're interested in helping me write to him also, please let me know and I'll send you his email address so hopefully we can get something done to stop this scam. Thank you Christina Seattle, WashingtonU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on University Of Phoenix
Apr 14 2007
University Of Phoenix rip off, misinforming enrollment advisors Phoenix Arizona Internet
BE AWARE ALL ATTENDEES OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX ONLINE IN THE YEAR OF 2004. THE FEDS CHARGED THE UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX IN 2004 WITH 9.8 MILLION DOLLARS IN FINES FOR ENROLLING STUDENTS INTO THE PROGRAM TO MEET THE SCHOOLS QUOTAS. I WAS MISINFORMED IN 2004 BY MY ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR - MICHAEL SHRAG. I GRADUATED FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX UNDER FALSE PRETENSES. I WAS TOLD THAT THE SCHOOL IS ACCREDITED AND THAT IS ENOUGH IN NEW YORK STATE TO BECOME A CERTIFIED TEACHER. MICHAEL SCHRAG AT THE TIME TOLD ME THAT THE EARLY CHILDHOOD PROGRAM IS AN ACCEPTED THROUGH THE STATE OF ARIZONA THEREFORE- IT IS ACCEPTED IN OTHER STATES. SO AFTER PAYING 30,000.00 IN STUDENT LOANS, STUDENT TEACHING- AND AFTER PASSING TWO OUT OF THREE TEACHER CERTIFICATION TESTS- IT WAS TIME TO GRADUATE. ALL I NEEDED TO COMPLETE MY LICENSURE WAS A LETTER FROM THE UNIVERSITY STATING THAT THE GRASUATE PROGRAM THAT I COMPLETED WAS CERTIFIABLE. THEY COULD NOT GIVE ME THAT LETTER. THE ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR THAT ENROLLED ME GOT FIRED! SO HERE I AM WITH A MASTERS THAT IS GOOD FOR NOTHING. Melanie east northport, New YorkU.S.A.
Dec 28 2004
University Of Phoenix Online ripoff Phoenix Arizonia
I wanted to complete my college degree, and when I talked to the admission counsler at Phoenix, I thought it sounded like a good deal. The counsler did a good job at selling the University, and told me that even with my busy schedule Phoenix was a good fit for me. After 2 weeks I knew there were problems with the class, when I talked to my admissions counsler, and financial advisor they both told me that typically the first class is difficult because there are alot of students taking the class who really shouldn't be taking college classes. They encouraged me to stick it out and the next class would be better. My problems with the University, and their response to my complaint with the BBB are as follows: 1) There was no organization to the classroom, we were broken up into learning teams and got absolutly no direction from the instructor. UOP response was that there was assigned readings that dealt with the team environment. 2) The instructor did not respond to my concerns. UOP response was that the instructor responded to questions in the newsgroup as her contract required. I followed up with the instructor not answering my emails. UOP, no response 3)I complained that the subject matter had no practical application, there were only three assignments to get graded on, one individual and 2 team assignments. On the team assignments, the individual who submitted the work chose not to include all the members of the team as contributors to the project. UOP no response. I have more complaints, but I guess its useless to continue Dennis Eagle Pass, TexasU.S.A.
Mar 29 2016
University of Phoenix, apollo group, uop, uopx Scare tactics for more money Phoenix Internet
I was hesitant about this university and now im three classes from being done and i just want out already. This school is putting me in debt and i dont feel like i can get out. I was recently given funds for excess funding. Which means that excess funds from my student loan was given to me. The counselor had informed me of this a day prior to it happening. The money has been sitting in my account and now the school wants it back. What started out as a little over $1500 that i owe back to them has since turned into them saying that i owe almost $9000 from a return to lender fee. I have never heard of this. I tried to pay the 1500 today since my class was supposed to start but they withdrew me from the class. Now the process is starting and the school says i have to pay. What do i do???

Showing 76-100 | Showing Page 4 of 14,619