BOOK MAGAZINE PUBLISHERS Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: book magazine publishers

There may be more reports for "book magazine publishers"

For more results perform a general search for "book magazine publishers"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

May 02 2012
Viking Magazine Abusive, Controling, Manipulative Liars burnsville, Minnesota
I was more than happy to sign up for the magazines I was offered at a great deal because I had won a sweepstake I entered. I provided my credit card and authorized the payments to be taken for 1 year. I then had to report my credit card lost/stolen with my bank and this is where the trobule begins. I got a call from VMS stating my account was past due. The VMS agent informed me they received a return code of card reported lost/stolen. I confirmed this and explained that I expected the card on the 20th, ten business days from the day I reported my card lost/stolen. He asked me which day I reported it and I told him the 6th. He then told me if I could count and look at a calendar, I would see than my new card should be there on the 19th. I told him not to count the 6th, which was a Friday, as the 1st business day. I found this to be really rude and I said what I am 2 days late and you are treating me like this. He went on about well I should just pay my bills and then I wouldn't be getting calls. They began calling me constantly asking if I had received my card. I did not receive my card when I anticpated it, so I checked with my bank. The bank was going through a banking software conversion and it is possible the card was delayed due to that. I wait a few more days, still no card. I then requested a 2nd replacement card. I have explained all of this to VMS and they are rude and vicious. They are telling me that I am not telling them the truth and start hounding me to do an electronic check. I am not comfortable do an electronic check with these people at this point. I tell them I will pay as soon as I get my card because I am provided my protection by using my card. They begin telling I should have more than one credit card. I said I didn't wish to have more than one and I like having my card attached to my checking account. He then want to tell me that I don't have a credit card, but a debit card and they are not the same. I explain the main difference is I don't pay interest and can only use the money I have already earned. I have gotten very irrate with these people telling me about my banking affairs. I have cussed them out and now they have sent me to their collections department. Now I they have told me that I just need to be honest and tell them I just don't want to pay my bill. At this point, I don't want to pay my bills. They tell me that I am the one that made this mess and I should act like a grown up. I said that I am a victim of circumstance and the guy told me that I was just making words up. He told there wasn't even a definition for victim of circumstance. And these people think I am an idiot.
Entity: burnsville, Minnesota
Jul 27 2012
Moviemaker Magazine BOGUS SUBSCRIPTION PROMISES Canoga Park, California
MovieMaker Magazine continually fails to deliver my magazines, despite a PRE-PAID LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION and the CORRECT ADDRESS ON FILE. I have repeatedly (like 4 times or more) had missed deliveries. The last time I complained, the customer service agent admitted her publisher was receiving NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS from other customers with the same problem. The latest runaround keeps asking me what was the last magazine I received and has me jumping through hoops to get them to deliver. Stay away from these guys if you can. I called the Editor to complain and she has yet to call me back.
Entity: Canoga Park, California
Jul 15 2012
parents magazine scam Boon, Iowa
I'm getting parents magazine in the mail and I have not ordered it. I just got a bill for 7.99, sounds like a scam to me. I am 75 years old and I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE TARGRTING OLDER SENIOR CITIZENS IN A SCAM. They must have gotten a new CEO and he is trying to increase sales. I believe this is not a mistake and I have ben targrtrd because of my age. these people should be delt with harshly
Entity: Boon, Iowa
Mar 16 2008
Tmx Magazine Who gave TMX the Right? Internet
TMX is a big fraud i started seeing these charges from this company a 4 months ago and thought maybe one of my present company had changed their name, until i search the web to also see that others are being frauded by this company also. Robert jacksonville, FloridaU.S.A.
Dec 06 2007
Mailbox Magazine Don't allow cancellation Tamarac Florida
Mailbox magazine called me and said that I had been place in a finalist bracket to win a prize. I asked them if this was a publisher clearing house thing and they said it was. I figured I could trust them because publishers clearing house was a well known company. They went on to tell me I would recieve a watch with a diamond in it and 3 free magazine subscriptions. They also told me I could order another magazine for $2.95 per week. I did not have a calculator at the time and did not realize that over the five year period (which is the length of the subscription) the cost comes out to about $767. I asked them at the time if I could cancel this magazine at anytime and they said yes. The next day I recieved another call from them to confirm the order. I was going through an elevator and did not hear them say that I could not cancel the order once it was placed. (the night before they said I could). When I returned to my desk I did the calculation and relized it was a rediculous price. I called back to cancel and they would not allow me to. I asked for their street address and they would only give me their PO Box. (this is illegal under Florida law... A telemarketer must give their street address). I called my bank and changed my card number so they could not charge my debit card. They now call me every couple of days to ask for a payment and threaten to send me to collections. Another Florida Telemarketing law is that any phone sale is not final unless they send a written contract and it is signed by the purchaser. This has never happened. If this affects my credit score I am going to sue. I am already speaking to a lawyer in Florida to check my options. Bear and anyone else lets join up and fight these scam artists. They need to loose their telemarketing license and be shut down. Drew Los Angeles, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: Tamarac, Florida
Dec 27 2007
Magazine City Not a legitimate company Charlottesville Virginia
I ordered an Anime magazine for my daughter on August 3, 2007 through Magazine City. The website said it could take up to 12 weeks for the magazine to be delivered. I waited until mid November but still had no magazine so I filed a complaint with their Customer Service department. They replied via email with the standard response seen by other Ripoff Report customers of Magazine City. So I waited a few days then called their Customer Support. Since mid-November I have spoken to Customer Support 8 times, each time with a similar answer that they would contact the Publisher and find out what the expected delivery date is, and each time I called a few days later to find out what the delivery date would be and always got the same answer - the Publisher was closed and they had no answer yet. It has now been almost 5 months (20 weeks) since I ordered and the ripoff company Magazine City took my money. And of course I'm told that they do not give refunds past the first 48 hours after ordering. Of course the scam is that by the time you have waited the suggested 12 weeks you have already paid your credit card bill and have no recourse such as disputing the charges. I am livid that companies can be so irresponsible and continue to get away with ripoffs like this. I plan to write my complaint on every available complaint website to warn as many consumers as possible if no one else puts an end to their scam. Ginny Boulder, ColoradoU.S.A.
Entity: Charlottesville, Virginia
Dec 11 2007
TWX Magazine Failure to Notify Stamford, Connecticut
I'm not disputing the fact that my wife ordered the magazines however, I am perturbed that TWX failed to contact us the time of renewal. How is it that a company can do this to a consumer ? After reading the reports on this site, I see that I am not the first one this has happened to. I did get in touch with a C/S manager and I was credited partially for our subscriptions. He stated that a postcard was sent out notifying us of our renewal amount. That I believe is a farce because we NEVER received one. Wouldn't it be nice to see if they have ever sent any post cards to any of their customers. I highly doubt it. I did indeed cancel all of my subscriptions and requested my account information be deleted from their system. The C/S manager assured me that this will happen....We'll have to wait and see i guess. Beware people of automatic withdrawals from your checking accounts. Effenbroke Payson, UtahU.S.A.
Entity: Stamford, Connecticut
Apr 24 2005
NBAF Magazine Subscriptions Ripoff scam Internet
I bought magazine subscriptioins through NBAF and never received the magazines. NBAF is now offline, and there is no physical address or phone number information provided in their receipt. It appears to have been a fraudulent, fly by night business. Don't buy magazine subscriptions from just any old service that appears on search engine results! Steve Nashville, TennesseeU.S.A.
Apr 22 2005
Glamour Magazine ripoff Westbury New York
They say I owe them $12. But I never ordered any magazines. Cami Kenyon, MinnesotaU.S.A.
Entity: Westbury, New York
Apr 27 2008
Cenco Magazine Rip Off Fresno California
Cenco has taken it upon themselves to open several accounts in my name that were not authorized by me and has charged my bank account for on several occations on these false accounts .Also throughout my original account they olny sent me a few of the magazines that I had ordered but they sent other magazines which were never ordered. Do not order anything from this company, C. goodman Meas,, ArizonaU.S.A.
Entity: Fresno, California
Sep 26 2014
Magazine Periodicals Keep charging you Hamiliton Montana
I got a letter in the mail from this company talking about a magazine services in February.  Now, it sounded really really good and I was making ok money at the time. So I ran upon hard times and my hours got cut and I called them to cancel and they said, you have only 3 days to cancel once you sign up. Like I said that was in February.  Now, I am trying to rid myself of unneccasary speanding and services that I do not need and I called to cancel and made them aware of my financial situation and they said well, we can not cancel the service, but we can lower the payments. On top of that they chargerd me for their service for 3 whole months before I received a magazine from them.
Entity: Hamiliton, Montana
Sep 20 2015
Magazine Processing Center FRAUD Nationwide
After seeing charges for TME*855-225-6459 BETTR for $19.50 and TME*855-225-6459 WEIGH for $13.00 on my credit card, I called this number to find out what the charges were.  Low and behold the number is out of service!We did some research and found this other Ripoff Report http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magazine-Processing-Center/nationwide/Magazine-Processing-Center-Credit-card-billing-as-Fradulent-magazine-renewals-on-credit-1244127 that references this same issue.  Luckily, it provided the appropriate number to call but also warned against them offering partial reimbursement.Armed with this information, I called the number and immediately got a representative.  I told him the situation and he offered the partial refund with a few extra issues.  i refused the partial refund and he indicated that he needed supervisor approval to do a full refund.  So I asked for the supervisor but he responded there was no supervisor available.  After questioning that fact and telling him that I would file fraud reports and contact my attorney if I didn't get the full refund he continued to talk in circles about how he's trying to explain to me the process.In explaining the process, he tells me that he can issue a partial refund today, and I could call back anytime before November 12th to cancel and get the remaining refund.  I continued to argue that this made no sense and he continued to tell me it's all he could do.  Finally I explained to him that I found this fraud report and that I needed to speak with someone else because either I wasn't understanding this crazy process or he wasn't explaining it properly.  He finally put me on hold to see if he could help me get a resolution.he came back to tell me he had found an approval and would process my full refund.  Amazing how he found this approval when I continued to push, how do people feel good about their work when they lie???The moral of the story, push for a refund, over and over and over again.  Do not settle because they will fix it.  I am due to get my refund within the next week and I will update this report with any other hiccups along the way.
Oct 09 2015
Clipper Magazine BUSINESS OWNERS BEWARE Mountville, PA Nationwide
This is a horribly run company with incompetent leadership. Was a long-term advertiser of Clipper having spent over $170,000 in advertising with Clipper over the last 15 years. A couple years ago, I was assigned a new sales rep. that was pretentious and condescending. Her arrogance resulted in me not advertising with Clipper in 2015. Typically, I spend between $12,000 - $15,000 during March and April with Clipper. She made it abundantly clear this was irrelevant to her as it wasn't her company. In planning for 2016, I reached out to the President and Vice President of Clipper Magazine to share my aforementioned concern. Promptly, I received a call from the Vice President assuring me this is not the culture being perpetuated at the new Clipper Magazine, apologizing for the rogue behavior of their local sales rep. He promised to proctor my account in the hope to resurrect our relationship. Subsequently, I received a call from the Division Director acknowledging my concern and promising again to assist in getting our relationship back to what it once was. She then handed my account off to their Regional Account Manager to schedule a meeting. In follow-up to this meeting, the promises the Vice President of Clipper Magazine made were not honored. I elicited the help of this individual and was advised HE HAS TOO MANY OTHER THINGS TO DO DAILY THAN TO DEAL WITH CUSTOMERS DIRECTLY AND HE WAS MISINFORMED WITH THE PRICING HE OFFERED. Huh, really!?  She indicated that he will no longer assist me as he promised. Similar to my experience the prior year, it appears the rogue behavior exhibited by the local sales rep has a direct correlation to the prevailing level of incompetence that starts with the new leadership at Clipper Magazine.
Nov 15 2005
Publishers Business Services RIPOFF! Deceptive phone scam! Magazine subscription ripoff! Henderson Nevada
I am writing for a co-worker, who was scammed into purchasing magazines, he actually had no interest in whatsoever! Apparently, Publishers Business Services (PBS) called him at our work, and asked him questions that led him into the purchase. He doesn't even know how it happened, except that he now has magazines coming to both work and home, of which he doesn't care to receive. He had no intention of purchasing magazines that day or any other day, and ended up with over $700 to be debited from his account over a period of two years! His wife tried to cancel and was told, it was a non cancellable contract, he agreed to, and it was recorded. I believe after talking to him, this recorded agreement has been spliced and questions asked are not the same that he answered. Very tricky and deceptive of PBS! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM! Debbie Lorton, VirginiaU.S.A.
Entity: Henderson, Nevada
May 26 2004
Publishers Renewal Service magazine subscription ripoff Kansas City Kansas
This a a telemarketing magazine subscription scam. They called, made it very confusing who they were (I thought they were my legitimate subscription people), and after I gave them the appropriate information, told me I would receive written confirmation within 10 days of April 2, 2004. Written confirmation only came on May 26. Armed with that information, I called to cancel my subscriptions-- but they told me the 15-day limit had expired, and could not honor my request. Never mind that they failed to keep up their end of the bargain by providing me with the required information in 10 days, or that they did not tell me about the 15 day period. When I called to cancel, they said they couldn't. I smell a scam, and am moving rapidly to address this problem. Joshua Little Neck, New YorkU.S.A.
Entity: Kansas City, Massachusetts
Dec 15 2009
Publishers Billing Association - PBA OVERPRICED MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION THEFT AND FRAUD LAS VEGAS, Nevada
I subscribe to Just Cross Stitch magazine.  Recently, I received a bill from Publishers Billing Association, AKA Magazine Subscription Service.  I subscribe directly to this magazine and did not use this service to subscribe.  I was alarmed at the amount they were charging for a subscription, and became suspicious.  The normal subscription rate for this magazine is approx $20/yr, but they were offering two years for $65.95! I alerted the magazine publisher, and received a response that they are not affiliated with this service company and they recommended I contact the BBB.  What this company is attempting to do is collect outrageously inflated fees (theft) and they are fraudulently representing themselves as being affiliated with the publisher of this magazine!
Entity: LAS VEGAS, Nevada
42, Report #361960
Aug 12 2008
PUBLISHERS BILLING EXCHANGE, INC MAGAZINE BILLING FRAUDULENT PRACTICE? LA HABRA California
Several requests sent to me to renew magazines I never ordered through this service. Slick, tricky writing makes you think its legitmate. Glad I looked carefully at my real subscriptions to my business to see the real deal. This company makes you think they have dealt with you previously when in fact their request for payment is independent from any other company (that I know of) and are not directly related to the magazine itself. The cost is MUCH more than any other offer. Larger businesses may not realize this is not the best deal out there or that it is the reorder form from the original orders placed. Be careful! Questionable business practices--the billing notices state how you are receiving one of the lowest available rates they can give you...the trick is in the they......They even tell you by sending in payment now you will lock in at lowest rates--Fraud...smells just like fraud..... trustnoone fairlesshills, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Entity: LA HABRA, California
Mar 16 2010
Publishers Guide numerous names Deceptive sales practices selling magazine subscriptions , Internet
In late September 2009 a very high pressure salesperson called me about signing up for reduced rate magazines.  The sales pitch was very fast and sounded like a good deal.  When they told me I needed to speak with another person ( and this was recorded)to verify my information, she spoke as fast as an auctioneer and you can barely make out that the lady said it would be a total of 1477.  It sounded like $14.77, NOT $1,477!  When I came home from college in November I noticed on my bank statements that there had been several charges for $57 for October and November.  I immediately called the number on my bank statement and was told this was my contractural agreement.  I am an 18 year old college student without the income to pay this.  I tried to cancel and even got my parents involved.  They kept saying they would have a manager talk to me but they just kept passing me to other sales people and refused to refund my money.  I cancelled payment from my bank account but now they are hounding me for continued payments.  I have tried everything!  I recently filed a BBB report but Publishers Guide has over 100 outstanding complaints and a D- rating for non-resolution of complaints.  I also filed a complaint with the State Attorney General's Office in Florida.  This is very easy to do online and I am waiting to hear back from them.  If enough people file complaints for deceptive sales practises, they may be able to shut them down.  However, I am sure this company has operated under several other names and could care less if they need to start over.
Entity: Internet, Internet
Mar 06 2008
Southeastern Family Publishers Magazine Scam Bradenton Florida
Southeastern Family Publishers using telemarketing to prey on individuals. They offer you 2 magazines a month for a one time fee of $27.50. It sounded great until they started billing my credit card over $400.00. I filed a dispute with my credit card company and had to change my account number to block further charges. ' I did not receive a single magazine that I ordered. Southeaster Family Publishers sent me magazines that I had no interest in and continued to try to charge me for them. I went to the U.S. Post office and was instructed to write REFUSED on the cover of all the magazines and drop them back in the mail. Now I am being threatened in writing by the company to be taken to court and that it is going to cost me 3 times the original amount. When I tried to contact the company their response was that I had committed fraud and that the were going to take me to court and hung up on me. I called her back twice and she hung up on me every time saying see you in court. I counldn' believe that a professional would behave in such a manor. They obviously have issues with communication. They must know that this is the beginning of the end for them. I hope they all get jail time for this not to mention that they should be forced to pay restitution to all the people they scammed. We should all unite together and find an attorney to file a class action suite against this company and the individuals who own it. In the meantime I am going to file a complaint with the BBB and contact my credit card company to have any funds charged to my account reversed. This whole thing is pathetic.......shame on the people who have done this to innocent hard working Americans. K. Adams Merritt Island, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Bradenton, Florida
Sep 13 2007
PUBLISHERS CLEARIN HOUSE I paid for a magazine and never got it Canada nationwide
I paid for Country weekly a month ago and never recieved it. They cashed my cheque but I still haven't recieved it Cbara Kamloops, British ColumbiaCanada
Jul 08 2013
Publishers Clearing House Doubled my magazine subscription Internet
 Every once in a while I succumb to playing in Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes.  One of the items I ordered through them was a bargain subscription to Smithsonian magazine.  Several weeks after ordering through PCH I got a bill from Smithsonian, which I promptly paid.  Last week I received two issues each of the June and July issues.   I tried to find a way to report this through the PCH website and to get some advice on how to stop one of them, either PCH or Smithsonian, from continuing to send a magazine.  The PCH website is impenetrable except for numerous ways to get you back to playing their games.  You can't find a way to email them and there is no phone number.  Heaven knows what would happen if you tried to write to them.  So I took the easy way out and called Smithsonian, which mercifully prints a phone number to reach their subscription office right in their magazine.  Smithsonian promptly cancelled the subscription for me. I am just waiting to see what happens when PCH sends their bill.  If they charge me more than the $10 advertised price I will be right back to report to this rip-off site.  I will certainly never play in Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes again, simply to avoid the memory of having to deal with them.
Apr 05 2013
Associated Publishers Association Bogus magazine subscriptions. Henderson, Nevada
In January, 2013, I responded to a solicitation from APN to renew my subscription to the Economist magazine for one year for $179.95. I sent them a check for that amount plus their re-subscribe form. In March of 2013, I received a second solicitation from APN for the same re-subscription and decided to call their provided customer service phone number to inquire. The APN agent advisd me that they had never received my January payment and that I should check with my bank. I obtained a copy of my canceled check from my bank showing deposit in to a Wells Fargo bank in Arizona, presumably APN's account. I contacted Wells Fargo and they would give me no information re: the associated deposit number account. I then called the Economist subscription department and their agent explained that APN was not authorized to represent the Economst and that the Economist had an active case against the APN with the Federal Trade commission for fraud.
Entity: Henderson, Nevada
Feb 29 2016
Associated Publishers Network Magazine renewal request scam Internet
On October 5, 2015 I wrote a check and mailed it to  Country Magazine. Talking to them today, it was confirmed that they had received that check and extended my subscription as expected. Further, I asked them about a check that I wrote on October 22, 2015 to Associated Publishers Network for the amount of $59.95 to subscribe to Country Magazine. They had no awareness of Associated Publishers Network and had never received any payment for my account from them. Looking at the BBB report on Associated Publishers Network, I realize that I've been scammed along with many others. Thankfully for ONLY $59.95. However, that is $59.95 of my hard earned money. Tomorrow, Tuesday, March 1, 2016 I will file a complaint with the Arkansas Attorney General.
Dec 14 2009
amazon.com Magazine subscription Internet
More than 3 months ago I purchased a 1 year subscription to THE NATION magazine.  I have not gotten a single issue yet and it was supposed to start about a month ago, according to Amazon.  I have made numerous calls and emails to both Amazon.com and the company that handles their subscriptions, Magazine Express, and it is supposidly being investigated, but after more than 3 months, still no magazine.  This is the first and ladt time I ever order a magazine subscription from Amazon.com.  I have done lots of business with Amazon.com for merchandise and never had a problem, but apparently when it comes to magazine subscriptions, stay away!  By the way, I also contact THE NATION directly and they have no record of a subscription purchased on my behalf.
Entity: Internet, Internet
Sep 04 2008
Magazinecity.com magazine Charlottevile Virginia
I ordered a magazine called wired on Feb 14 2008 through magazincity.com and paid by credit card. The amount is also charged by the company and received email confiramtion having order no magazinecity-25279298 Till then I have written many times to magazinecity but not received any reply nor any issues of the magazines. They are cheaters, Kindly let me know how to recover my money Amar mumbaiIndia
Entity: Charlotteville, Virginia