CAPITAL ONE Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: capital one

There may be more reports for "capital one"

For more results perform a general search for "capital one"

Showing 51-75 of 152,548 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "capital one"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Apr 05 2002
Capital One ripoff New Wark New Jersey
I opened a Capital One account before a vacation to have for emergencies. It sounded like a pretty good deal, no annual fees low APR, and since I had spotty credit the $200 limit was a good way for me to establish new good credit. This all started May of 2000. In June I received the card. Just in time. I had no problems the first 3 or 4 months I didn't charge anything over $60 and paid it in full each month. In Jan 2001 I charged maybe $75 on the card and couldn't send the full amount so I made a Payment...bigger than requested. The next month I got my bill and had a late charge...though my payment was sent in plenty of time. I called in Feb 2001 to have the account closed. They told me the account would be closed but interest and charges would continue until the account is paid in full. I agreed to this and cut up my card. The following months I made my payments, which they told me were never on time. Soon with all these charges my account sky rocketed over the $200 limit, and started to get additional charges for going over the limit. Soon my $50 monthly payment was not even covering the charges they were tacking on. According to them, my payments were always late... even though month after month the checks I wrote before and after there's were cashed with-in a reasonable amount of time. In Sep 2001 I paid the account in full $381. I still continue to get bills from them. I have tried disputing these charges I have even received guidance from a Lawyer. It seems there is nothing I can do. Now 6 months after I paid my account in full, they state that I owe another $380. I am refusing to pay this amount again. The only way this is going to end is if we all get together a fight this rip off Company. This is ridiculous! Please refuse any unknown charges, send back any prepaid envelopes empty, and help fight this company's unlawful ways! We have to get together and fight as an Army not as individuals! Leann Port Huron, Minnesota
Entity: New Wark, Pennsylvania
Nov 14 2002
Capital One ripoff fraud scam Seattle Washington
Capital One ripoff report Capital one has a legal license to act like crooks ripoff business from hell ..... My wife and I took capital one credit cards. They gave us are treat lousy 200.00 credit cards with loan shark fees built in that was the trick. When you make every attempt to correct their errors showing documentation they slap on more fees for being defiant, uncomplaint. These people love trick or treatin why do they always put on commercials ghost and monsters because this is a subliminal message. After 1 year they suddenly slap on fees to take you over your credit limit bearing in mind that we paid what they requested and wanted they racked up bogus, fake charges on credit cards hidden fees, phony accounting practices if the devil had a credit card this one would be first prize this credit card is from hell they also like sending letters dated october 31, 2002 trick or treatin john tacoma, Washington
Entity: seattle, Washington
Mar 17 2003
Capital One rip-off Richmond Virginia
Back in September of 2002 i lost my wallet and i had credit cards in it.Someone found my wallet and used my cards.The only card im having a problem with is Capital One.A week or so before i lost my wallet i paid off my account in full. Now the problem is thay wont take off the balance i didnt charge.Thay were Cash Advance.Thay told me that since i made up my own pin # i am beat,I got to pay it.I have not made a payment to them since,but i dont want to wreck my credit.I dont know what to do???? Another thing is i didnt file a police report.I loose my wallet often i usally find it weeks later so i didnt know i really lost it this time.Please Help Scott Stroudsburg, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Apr 04 2003
Capital One WILL SCREW YOU! Plano, Texas
Called Capital One to advise them of fraud we had suffered at our business that cost us thousands and impacted our Capital One account. Offered to pay off account entirely and asked them to remove derogatory credit reported. They said Forget It!! NOW I learn that CAPITAL ONE has FRAUDULENTLY charged our account Acct Bal Coverage Premiums that we NEVER authorized TO THE TUNE OF $500.00!!!!! I asked them if they would at least let the insurance help us out since they had charged us for it without our permission and they said Forget It!!! LAWSUIT TIME!!!!!!! Susie 87507, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Plano,, Texas
Mar 25 2003
Capital One rip-off Richmond Virginia
Capital One issued me a Kmart Capital One Mastercard two years ago and ever six months they have always giving me a credit increase on my card because i have always kept my account perfect.Well today 3-25-03 i was getting ready to take a trip and i called to see if i could get an increase and was told by a very rude person by the name of Bruce that i could not get one because that they changed their rules. They never sent me a thing saying that.I ask to speak with someone else about this but was told if i had anything to say that i could talk to him that he was the only one that could help me.We both then had some words and he told me to stop begging and to get a life.So i will never use there card again.They are a bounch a scumbags. Jimmy Albany, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Aug 04 2000
Capital One Credit Card
We had a credit card with Capital One with $5000 limit. During the course of a year tragedy struck my family in a very big way with 9 deaths and an auto accident which totaled my car. This resulted in using the credit card to the limit. Then I missed 2 payments. I called them and told them of the hardship and they said nothing they would do. I sent them what I could. The end result was they raised my interest to 26.99, charged me late fees every month because I wasnt sending the minimum payment they wanted which started at $400 and grew over a period of a year to a minimum payment of $1609.00. My balance on the card when this started was $4800. After a year my balance was $6109.00 (interest and late fees they tacked on every month) even though I was sending them a minimum of $160-$220 every month. They harrased me by calling 14 times a day at times. I would talk with them, one time they said I should file bankruptcy, another the guy suggested I commit suicide so my insurance would pay it off. Bottom line they would never work with me, even though I sent letters, made phone calls. I tried. They totally destroyed our credit. We received some monies last month from one of the deaths in the family and we called to pay off the account. They said the payoff would be $4800 (back to what the card was a year ago). We sent them the check. We received a letter stating the account was settled with them, BUT they will continue to report us to the credit reports that we defaulted and a bad credit risk. I agree that we ran into some problems, but they would never work with us, we were not trying to run from our debt, but we needed a way to work through the account. We had other credit cards and they all work with us during this horrific period. But as a result of Capital One's wonderful customer service, our credit is totally destroyed and other credit cards we have are no longer any good.
Jul 30 2000
Capital One the ripoff credit card company
My roommate was sent a credit card without requesting one. It came with a bill for a $59.00 membership fee. He immediately sent a letter canceling the card and stating he never authorized the card. He just received another bill today. I tried calling the company but all I do is get placed on hold. My story is worse.. In May I recieved my Capital One statement with a $59.00 charge for the annual membership fee. On the reverse side of the statement it stated that I could close my account by paying off the balance and sending a letter to cancel the account within 30 days to avoid the membership charge. Thirty days would have been May 19. On May 11 I wrote a letter to close the account and enclosed my cut-up credit card. The payment to close the account was sent separately. The final payment $1.99 to close the account was posted May 17. On April 22 I recieved a letter that my account could not be closed because of the $59.00 balance on my account which now included interest. I wrote back advising them that the balance was for the mebership fee and that I had conformed to thier instructions for closing the account which read the balance excluding the mebership fee must be paid prior to the end of the 30 day period. The next letter I recieved said they would honor the request to close the account but membership fees were not refundable and to continue to make timely payments to avoid a late charge. Of course by this time the next statement had come out and is overdue. I have written # more letters and I am still waiting for a response.
Aug 31 2001
Capital One Employees Allowed to Violate the Law
Capital One Employees are allowed to use their system to invade individual credit files for personal purposes. One individual's particular problems resulted from a vindictive ex-wife who has made multiple inquiries into his credit, raising his ISAAC score and locating his place of work to harrass him. She also made several harrassing calls from Capital One in Fredericksburg, VA for over two years. Why? Because calls made from the Capital One trunk line can not be traced to an individual. More disturbing is the fact that when Capital One was approached about the problem, they did nothing about it. SO JUST REMEMBER THIS. IF THEY ARE WILLING TO SHELTER LAW BREAKERS, WHAT MIGHT THEY DO TO YOU! BOYCOTT CAPITAL ONE!
May 10 2001
Capital One Credit Cards Online ripoff
Everyone beware, Capital One will give out a credit card to anyone that applies, even if the information is bogus. This happened to me twice last year. Someone applied for first a visa, then a Master Card online in my name. The application was full of erouneous information, yet they still issued the credit cards. The only way you will know that this is happening is to check your credit report at least once per year. Someone please put this credit card mill out of business. How about the FTC? I'm sure they have plenty of reports on this company, yet do nothing to stop this.
Sep 04 2002
Capital One ripoff victimized many consumers Richmond Virginia
I just applied for a mortgage and Capital One showed up on my credit report. Huh? This secured account which was terminated back in 2000 when my amount due was not even as much as my little $200 deposit. Now I have a $483 balance. Are these people insane or what? Needless to say I am furious. From what I have seen on this website there has to be a class action suit somewhere. If not let's band together and get one going. Unpaid balance reported as a loss by credit grantor? Excuse me, this could really make someone go postal. Suggestions anyone? Terry Dawsonville, Georgia
Aug 26 2002
Capital One ripoff Richmond Virginia
1 had paid off my capital one account on july 18 2002 and was billed for insurance policies that i did not agree too and a monthly service fee to a cancelled account also i was told that i had to personaly call all the companies and get cancellation numbers for the accounts that i was billed for .... am i an idiot or is it common practice to charge things on an account that doesnt exist? as all these charges were incured after july 18th when they claimed to have cancelled my account. i was billed 73.85 on a card that i cut up over 10 months ago!the ony activity that card has seen are the fee's that capital one and their affiliates see fit to harrass me with continually making it impossible for me to pay off the bill.... so if you are thinking of doing bussiness with them i wouldnt ,because there is no end to monthly bills paul pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Sep 10 2002
Capital One outlandish ripoff late fees Richmond Virginia
I would like to include my ripoff report together with Ellie from Evergreen Park, Illinois-I too was in the same situation and her story is all too familiar...Although, I can say - I was a big fool, because instead of reporting Capital One to anyone, I just paid the whole so called late fees off. A grand total of $998.00 and I also had a $200.00 credit limit. So to anyone thinking of applying, I urge you not to unless your willing to pay all the fees that Capital One cannot justify. Rachel Portland, Oregon
Aug 06 2001
Credit Card Scams from CAPITAL ONE
I submitted an application for a credit card which stated it was no annual fee and 9.9%fixed APR. It even states this in the terms of agreement form that must be signed by the individual. I accepted it and submitted all of my information. They say they can check for approval within 60 seconds. Then they returned to tell me that I am only approved for a 19%+ fixed rate and I have to pay an annual fee. This is a total lie and a scam. There is no way to unsubmit the application. There is no contact information on this website. http://apply2.capitalone.com/2839/1-66/index.jsp?s=02839001066XXJ1X1XX1RUMBLEX3XXA349913P376216
Entity: Falls Church, Virginia
Mar 05 2002
Capital One Hates to Admit Their Error
I had a secured card with Captial One. In March of 1997 I sent a letter telling them I was closing my account, asked that my savings account be transfered to pay off the balance, and I enclosed a check for the remaining balance. Capital One didn't process the check that I sent for six weeks or more. They charged me interest and everything else. They finally agreed, I do not owe them. They made false reports to the Credit Bureaus. They never reported my actual high. They reported that my account was closed by THEM when I CLOSED my account. They have yet to correct the way it is reading on my credit. I would really like to get a lawyer to sue them, but I have come to the conclusion they are not worth put someone through all the agravation. I would just like a letter correcting the way it reads sent to all the credit agencies and one to me. Stay away from CAPITAL ONE.
Mar 18 2000
Capital One Services credit card fraud banks
In March 2000 I got a bill from Capital One for $39 membership fee. I had no card so called the service number toget the expiration date so I could use the card. The reply was inbalid card so i talked to a rep. I was told the fee stood for services rendered for the card, which had been mailed in Dec. I hadn't received the card so was told it was canceled and a new one would be sent the next day. Ten days later teh second card had not arrived ao checked your file and saw someone else had tried to cancel a card and been refused. I am writing to them and canceling the non-existant service and refusing to pay the fee for nonexistant service on a card that does not exist. Also reporting this to the Richmond, VA BBB.
Nov 18 2000
Capital One Bait-n-Switch Ads
Capital One (www.capitalone.com) has been running credit card comercials on various channels for many weeks now, advertising their no intrest till next year offer, no annual fee, and easy signup. I have just checked into their offer using their slick online signup, and while easy to complete their resulting offer was far from what they advertised. Their form was very simple and did not (surprisingly) ask much about my background. The offer explaination before the form was exactly what the TV ads described. However almost immediately after submitting the form the Capiral One system miraculously discovered I was simply not eligable for their freebies and instead to complete signup I'd need to pay an annual fee and agree to THREE TIMES the APR. I have a dozen cards, including platinum, none with annual fees. My income and credit rating are more than sufficient to secure any card I want. Returning with the bad offer in barely enough time to submit the form information itself is clearly a bait-and-switch trick.
Aug 26 2000
Capital One Rip-Off Credit Card Consumer service ripoff
OVER 23 Consumer Complaints on this web site as of 8-26-00 Capital One is a credit card company that exploits those with Credit circumstances. They send you a Pre-approved offer targeted at those who are slow Pay' (not no pay credt deadbeats) and mislead you in regards to their 25 day grace period then mislead lead you in what amount to pay if your near your limit to avoid an overlimit fee. Capital One's 25 day grace period is misleading compared to those of other companies. Other companies will bill you and state a due date of 25 days past the billing date as the date to pay prior to being charged interest. Capital ONE states their due date on their cycle date, therefore if you pay your payment by it's due date you're already late. Furthermore their stating that the overlimit fee is $29 is misleading. If your card goes over limit in one period, you will receive your bill stating that then be charged a 2nd overlimit because it went into the next cycle. So the real overlimit fee is $58. Also, they have designed their billing proceedures to add a late charge after the cycle date, that way if you pay the minimum due on a bill, the late charge may set you over your limit thereby adding an additional $58 to your account. I have been disputed incidence like these since July of 1999, I have yet to receive a timely response that addresses the issue. I have 5 documented breaches of the Fair Credit and Billing Act and tape recorded coversations of their customer service representitive purposely (or directed by their managers policy) to mistate the correct amount due to incurr additional late charges. STAY CLEAR OF CAPITAL ONE PERIOD. ....Thank you Letter From: Mark S. Etters [SMTP:metters@esper.com] To: info@RipOffReport.com Subject: Capital Credit ripoff Sent: 1/1/97 12:01 AM Thank you for having this forum. I recently received approval for Gold Card 15,000 with no interest the first year. I thought it sounded too good to be true, checked the web, sure enough, listed here as a rip off and no where else. Thanks! Capital Credit 20331 Irvine Avenue E3 Santa Ana Heights, CA. 92707 M.E. TN. metters@esper.com
Oct 22 2006
Capital One ripoff Nationwide
I noticed thier are now 36 pages of complaints on Capital One companies. Just think of all the people who don't report or complain of there aggressive tactics. Do they commit fraud? Alot of thier advertising is misleading. So on a degree of level they do. They promise to protect you and your information yet they hand it out freely to any repo or collection agency that comes along when you mess up or miss a payment. There's no room for error with Capital One. I hope your an angel and setting with God when you miss a payment or are late because they will not work with you. So you better not screw up. Found this little statement in thier privacy act. {You may tell us not to share personal information about you with outside companies, except we may disclose information as required or permitted by law. Required disclosures are made, for example, to outside auditors and banking regulators. Permitted disclosures are made, for example, to vendors assisting us in opening, maintaining or servicing your account. (CA, ND and VT Residents: We will not disclose information about you outside our corporate group of companies, other than as required or permitted by law, without your express authorization.)}Are they 100 percent legal in all there operations. No! They are not angels either and if you look hard enough you'll find the true secret to business practice that made them giants. Easy credit without explaining all the fineprint. Incentives to lure you in like bait and switch con man would do. Think of the old bait and switch scam of days gone by and you will find your anwser were to look for legal discrepancies were they step across the line many more times than anyone knows. Search the excutives and CEO's and thier assets. Public Record now. Most everything is since the dawn of the computor age. Do the math! Don't forget to add in thier employee salaries and all other overhead including the fancy TV ads then deduct that from thier profit. See what you come up with? Only way to win is be right. Only way to be right is build a case on evidence. Always remember no one is perfect. They cheat every corner they can. You look hard enough you'll find it. Ken Johnston, Rhode IslandU.S.A.
Jul 24 2008
Capital One Unwanted CreditInform charge North Brunswick Internet
This is my 2nd month with Capital One credit card and I noticed that at the start of the monthly cycle they have put a charge for CreditInform (on 18th July and I've contacted them promptly on 20th July). When I wrote them a message asking what is this for they replied saying I should call them up for explanations. When I called them up they transfered the line to CreditInform customer service and by telling they can't do anything as this dispute should be resolved by CreditInform. The CreditInform representative told me that they can only cancel the service (after quite a good amount of discussion) and can't return the payment. They acknowledged that I haven't registered on their site but they will still charge me because they seemingly sent me something in mail in the month of June. I guess, I threw that brochure away without reading as one of those junks that come in the mail. I don't understand how that confirms my enrollment in their program. I will keep contacting them to get the refund (though the amount is not huge but they should mark me as a problem customer when it comes to charging my account with something that is not required). The problem with such things is that these entities are faceless and it's hard to get in touch with somebody who takes action outside the script. I hope if this report can make them take action and withdraw the charge. Rajeev North Brunswick, New JerseyU.S.A.
Entity: Internet
Jul 02 2009
Capital One Securities scam,fraud, Newmarket Ontario
I received a letter in the mail titled winning final notification, as well as a very authentic looking check for 4993.00. The letter stated that I was one of 20 winners whose names were selected randomly after I supposedly entered into a shoppers sweepstakes. The letter stated that the check was for the purpose of paying the taxes that would be owed on the 250,000.00 winnings. It instructed me to call my claim agent Nicky Boyd back within 5 days BEFORE cashing the check. Embarassed to say, I attempted to call the number back (1-416-822-9196) and it just rang and eventually a message played that stated the customer is unavailable. This prompted me to investigate this company name on the internet. Thank God for this site. I HATE PEOPLE WHO STEAL!!!! Heidi, Elkhart,In. Hbjoraas elkhart, IndianaU.S.A.
Entity: Newmarket, Ontario
Dec 11 2008
Capital One Auto Deceptive Plano Texas
I applied for captial one auto loan gat sent a congratsulations pre approval and was sent a blank check. I sent in required information and was sent another email saying conratsulations you have met the required stipulations and you are ready to shop. I found a car the dealer log ined and saw the apprival and filled everything out. the nex day after i had purchased the cr Capital one called and tolled me they are un able to approve me at this time and i would be sent a letter stating why in 7-10 business days. this is after i had supposedly met all there requirements according to the email they sent and the dealer foolong the directions. Bad business Anony Riverton, UtahU.S.A.
Entity: Plano, Texas
Dec 27 2008
Capital One Fraudulently Selling Payment Protection Plan Richmond Virginia
We were recently looking over our capital one credit card statement and came across what cap-one calls payment protection, along with it came a charge for $18.15, which looking into we found they charge 1% of your total balance. We went into investigating this, first, we called the number listed along side the charge on our statement. We first spoke to a capitol one representative who said we need to speak with the people at Payment Protection, who apparently is it's own entity outside of Capital One. We spoke with a representative at PPI who apologize for being unknowingly sold the product on behalf of Capital One, we ask the representative how long I've been being charged the Payment Protection Plan and she said it had been since November of 2007! We were blown away, we had never noticed this charge but we didn't expect it to be there in the first place, so we fought with the representative at PPI and after getting forwarded through 4 stages of management we finally got someone who agreed to refund us $100 and that was the maximum they would refund. We appreciated that since the responsibility should be placed on Capital One's shoulder for unknowingly charging for me a product. Our next step was to go back to Capital One to reclaim the remaining charges owed to us, which we feel is in the neighborhood of $235 BEFORE interest. After speaking at length with two representatives we were forwarded to the dispute department, and after speaking at length with three stages of representatives and managers, one decided to tell me they WOULD NOT refund the money and continued to try to send us back to the Payment Protection Company, which we would not allow them to do. After a heated conversation in which he refused to send us to someone higher or cooperate with us he decided to hang-up! A Capital One representative fraudulently sold us this product for a profit and a commission I'm sure and it is NOT the the fault of the people at the Payment Protection Company since they only provide a product for Capital One the sell and make a profit from, therefore it is Capital One's responsibility to refund us back the remaining balance of what we've been charged. We've done a lot of research on this and it seems we are not alone, the search engines turned up hundreds of similar cases where Capital has either unknowingly sold or outright mis-sold this product to consumers and refused to take responsibility or properly service it's customers. We've managed to cancel the Payment Protection Plan and as soon as the balances on these cards are paid we intend to cut all ties with Capital One and in the mean time we intend to do as much damage to Capital One's reputation as possible, it sounds like the $135 Capital One stole from me is more important than them retaining me as a customer. I feel more people need to know about this and should warned about dealing with a company like Capital One who takes advantage of it's customers and then refuses to offer any type of customer services when it comes to handling disputes. Anything the BBB can do to arbitrate this matter we would sincerely appreciate since the last thing Capital One did for us was hang up the phone on us. Since the amount charges for the Payment Protection Plan is based on 1% of our total balance there is no way to calculate exactly what should be refunded to us. We estimate ATLEAST $235 PLUS INTERESTED paid on the plan has been charges to us, we aren't looking to pursue the interest paid be we feel $235 is the right number, the Payment Protection Plan company has allready refunded us $100 of the money, so the remaining $135 is Cap One's responsibility. William Gilbert, ArizonaU.S.A.
Dec 02 2008
Capital One Credit card fraud Worldwide Nationwide
Long story...In may 08 I applied for and recieved a credit card from capital one prior to moving 300+ miles. I finalized my divorce in July and had my maiden name reinstated. In september I recieved a statement for a capital one account stating that my bill was past due by two months and over the limit. I was outraged since two days earlier I had checked my account online and everything was fine. I checked the account number to my surprise it didnt match my credit card number. I immediately called capital one to find out about this strange account. I told them i didnt open the account and it was fraudulent. customer service transferred me to the fraud department and the only thing they could tell me about the account was that the address was the same city i had moved from and the charges were made in the surrounding cities in JUNE!! I was shocked and I immediately knew who the culprit was: my ex mother in law. I filed all the appropriate forms with capital one, the police, the credit bureaus etc. I recieved a phone call from shannon in the fraud department who seemed happy to help with my case. I felt like everything was getting taken care of until......I recieved a call from shannon around the end of october. she informed me she had spoken with my ex mother in law who told her I was still recieving mail at her address (which I wasnt). From this information shannon deducted that I was the one that was lying and she said that because my story doesnt match my ex in laws that I was ultimately responsible for the account. I called the detective assigned to my case and he said it was a crime even if it was my own sister and we lived in the same household. In the past week i have recieved a past due statement, a warning about the overdue account and a collection notice. I know Im not responsible for this and I plan to get justice any way I can. Arianne Cape Coral, FloridaU.S.A.
Feb 21 2009
Capital One Screwing people nationally Florida Nationwide
Yep Capital One is at it again - ripping off consumers with a rate increase all while they are using OUR money for a bailout! I say either a class action lawsuit should be filed against all banks that pull this crap and/or all consumers should refuse to pay their bills for 3 months until they remove negative info from credit agencys (for standing up against being screwed & not paying) and lower the rates to affordable & reasonable amounts. everyone should also be contacting their state reps and protest what these banks are doing. And states that allow this type of business - extremely high interest rates should be banned as well from receiving federal aid. We could also start by flooding their websites with complaints. Pete New Milford, New JerseyU.S.A.
May 17 2010
Capital One Changes excessive fees on account problems Internet
I recently moved, and in the process of moving had some mail problems.  During that time I charged a $31 dollar item to a Capital One credit card.Due to the move, I didn't pay a bill on time. I received a call from Capital One that I was overdue, and they requested payment of $40. It seemed odd at the time, but I paid.  When after another week I finally started getting mail again (thanks USPS) I realized I had been charged two *$15* late fees on $30.  I called, and they would do nothing about the charges.  It also turns out their 'courtisy' phone call request for payment didn't put my account in the clear, it was only part of the payment, so they charged me another $15 fee.Clearly, this company is just sitting there, waiting for customers to make a mistake (honest or otherwise) , as an excuse to charge excessive fees, based on tiny-print disclaimers on the bottom of their statements.
Entity: , Internet