HUGHESNET Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: hughesnet

There may be more reports for "hughesnet"

For more results perform a general search for "hughesnet"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Nov 09 2015
Hughesnet DON'T USE THEM!!!! germantown Nationwide
I entered into contract with Hughesnet and its been one problem after another!  It has Philapines technical support only and useless! slow to no service at all. Tried to tell me that I used 20KB in 6 days! We do not stream videos!  After 25 contacts I cancelled it! they wanted $400 contract termination fee! I have spent over $500 on computer persons only to find the installer cut my hard wires and telephone wires!  When the most recent repair person came he ran mud throughout my house THEN told me to go to Lowes and buy a $3.00 part and fix it myself! Are you kidding!  Spoke to corporate office who waved the fees!    Just don't enter into contract!   Deanna
May 09 2016
Oct 19 2015
Hughesnet Inept practices leading to unethical policies Nationwide
I Purchased a home where Hughesnet was in place.  Seller suggested that I just take over the account.  I called Hughesnet and stated that I would be the responsible person on the account.  They said that they would be sending out an installer to upgrade/replace the modem at my home.  They wanted to bill my credit card, which I agreed to.  They also sent me paper bills which I accidentally paid.   After I realized that I had paid them twice, they refused to refund my money as they stated that my second payment was on the existing account (they had opened a new account when I had initially contacted them, unbeknownst to me.)  They claimed that the initial account had not been cancelled despite the fact that they had removed the equipment so that it could not be used!     They claimed that the equipment was removed by a second company, not Hughesnet, that Hughesnet works with.  What rubish, that is a company that they subcontract with.   This is insult added to injury as their service was spotty and their technical support inadequate.
Sep 19 2016
Hughesnet Liars Tucson Nationwide
 Hughes net is a liar and a scam. They get u signed up, service works good for a couple days. Then u find out that I only have 50 gigs a month and you've used it all already. But upon talking to them to set service we told them everything we use the internet for they'll say. Oh we can cover all of that. Nothing was said about a limit of gigs, nothing said about having to purchase your own router until after you prepaid ,nothing that says its a 2year contract and $395 to disconnect. All there sales people are on commission so they just want to make the sale.When you call customer service and ask to speak with a supervisor they say none is available. I literally pay $80 For 3 days of internet service There is so much more i could tell you about how deceitful this company is and after looking at the reviews there are many others in the same situation as I am
Sep 17 2016
Hughesnet Hughes Network Systems data being used Internet
So about 6 weeks ago we noticed huge amounts of our data disappearing.  After calling several times and nobody ever calling back when they said they would, yesterday we decided to downgrade to a smaller package.  Figured if we were saving $30 a month it wouldn't be so bad if they take a little data back.  Well last night, we turned off all our equipment and went to bed.  At 11 PM, husband got up and checked.  67 megabytes of our bonus data has been used.  I need to know what's going on.  I'm super unhappy with Hughes Net right now.
Sep 10 2016
HughesNet Absolute worst internet service Nationwide
 I switched from Verizon DSL to HughesNet because they were supposed to solve my slow internet reception. They installed within 2 days (3 days ago) and we still cannot stream a video. It constantly rebuffers. We were told we had too many devices using it (tv only so not sure how that was too many). Customer service suggested we move closer to the router/modem (it's 8 feet away) or use a cord. This is absolutely the worst service only. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with cusotmer service and the floor supervisor refused to let me talk to anyone else. He told me to call corporate.  I wish i had never called them. They are not giving us what they claimed in their advertising. I want to cancel service and get my money back. We can't watch videos, upload photos, because service is so awful.
Feb 27 2017
Hughesnet false advertising Nationwide
Hughesnet has a commercial that says that they can give you internet where ever you are but they couldn't get my internet hooked up where I live without putting the satelite on someone elses property then they wanted to charge me if they had to do that. I used them at a previous address and was having it moved they had already charged me $138.49 for 1 month of service before they tried to move my service. When they couldn't install my service at my new address they tried to charge me an early disconnect fee and I told them I wasn't going to pay it they did waive the $280 disconnect fee BUT they only want to refund me $89 of what they charged me saying I used the service.
Oct 14 2006
Direcway - Hughesnet ripoff fraudent billing Germantown Maryland
I was a customer since 2002, about a month after i upgrade to the DW7000 modem and prof. package, I started having trouble with my service. After several tech calls they said it was my dish and had a repair tech call me. The repair tech would not come out on Saturday to fix the dish on during the week and I would have to be here. I CAN NOT take off work to be here and Sat. was the only day that I could do it. I called Direcway/Hughesnet and explained what was going happening and for them to see about getting someone else to come. The last time I called to see why it was taking so long to have someone fix my dish, they told me there was nothing they could do. I told them that I have been a customer since 2002 and that they were only interested in NEW SERVICE. I have several case numbers to back my case up. They have done nothing to fix my dish. I canceled my credit card so they would not charge me for a monthly service I was not getting. Now they have turned me over to a collection service for none payment of several months of service they I was not even getting. What a ripoff. L a, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Feb 01 2009
Hughesnet Bandwidth, performance, Customer N0-Service RIPOFF Chicago Illinois
This company misrepresents itself in incredibly deceptive ways. They are the Enron of ISP's. They lie about bandwidth and download speeds/availability - these liars and thieves wouldn't know full disclosure if they were looking at themselves nude in the mirror. Their customer service is deplorable to say the least. If you found this site because you saw their TV commercials and decide to do a background check -good for you! Do NOT use this company. You'd be better off throwing your computer in the trash. Because my wife needs the internet for work (and her company requires ISP's with certain capabilities), and DSL isn't available to us, we had to use these thieves for our service. Believe me, if I could cancel them tomorrow, I would in a heartbeat. These people prey on rural communities with complete disregard for their needs. They lie - and I mean lie outright - about bandwidth availability, the equipment you need, and have the unmittigated gall to sell themseves to you as a high speed provider. They are nothing - and I mean nothing - like they tell you on television. It is amazing to me that some state's Attorney General hasn't gone after them yet. Forget class-action lawsuits - this company needs to be held criminally liabel for their blatant deceptive practices. Sdwat51 Rockport, West VirginiaU.S.A.
Entity: Chicago, Illinois
Feb 07 2009
HughesNet miserable service, terrible speeds, unsympathetic reps Germantown Maryland
For the past few months, like so many others i've seen, we have experienced miserable service from Hughesnet. It can occur any time of day but mostly weekdays between 5:00 pm and 10:00 pm CST. The download speeds vary from 0.0 kpbs to around 100kbps if we are lucky. Uploads likewise are diminished. Customer support is based out of India, the reps are unhelpful, unsympathetic with our problem, and rude. I was called a liar by the lvl 1 rep, who then refused to transfer my call to a supervisor. They refuse to perform the necessary diagnostics to determine what is going wrong. They pretend they lack the capability to access the HN7000s remotely. This I know to be a lie as I have had techs in the past (before the downfall) do just that. I'm tired of writing leters now, I'm contacting the BBB and the Hughesnet corporate office. Brandon Gladewater, TexasU.S.A.
Sep 19 2008
Hughes Net, HughesNet Over charged installation and Poor service Houston Nationwide
I switched to Hughes Net due to my satisfaction with Direct TV , I was to only be charged 199.00 for installation . The installation man only half did the job , I have the eqipment he required me to purchase sittin on my floor due to not enough cable to move the router and motum anyplace else . He left me with unsecured Wireless and I can only access internet occassionally . He refused to install the dish where I wanted it . I have pages of calls made to the company that refuses to send service man back out , Then my credit card which I did not authorize charges was charged $900.+ dollars for installation and 1st month bill . They said the charges are justified . They repeatedly refused to let me cancel my service starting the day after installation and promised to resolve the problem . My husband is in Iraq and the Net is my means of communication with him . Please help me recoup my loss's and get this stuff out of my yard so I can afford to go with a company that will help me . This communications with this company has gone on for 2 months now and I have come to the end of my rope in trying to get proper service .. Rhonda Baytown, TexasU.S.A.
May 26 2008
Hughesnet Fair access policy is against the law Germantown Maryland
This company has starting limiting internet service but still want there money. This is unfair and a class action lawsuit should be filed against this company. Grizzly Kamiah, IdahoU.S.A.
Oct 29 2008
Hughesnet Crooks, words can't describe how dirty Nationwide Other
This is the worst con, Ive come across, To start, The installer left a crater in my yard and a hole in the side of my house, and garbage all over my yard boxes and crap, Independant contracters is what I was told, Not our problem, Equipment that can't be paid off at , price is subject to change. I had 3 different reps give me 3 different prices from 399 to 480 ! Theres no hard copy of what I owe on equipment and they won't tell me, serious straight up, Will not tell you. Also theres a fap policy, which means you can only download 250 mb per day ! or it cuts off your 100 dollar a month service for 24 hours! Don't try to ask for help the support team is in india and they hang up on you or can't hear you or understand you. Please don't ever use this service, spread the word tell your friends and family. I put unknown for the address since this is a shadow corporation, theres a physical address given but the install, support, billing, everything, all independant, main company is a shadow who knows what pile of worthless crap is sitting in the drivers seat of this thing. Tom olympia, WashingtonU.S.A.
Entity: Nationwide, Other
Jun 30 2008
We purchased Hughesnet satellite service in November, 2008. The first month was ideal. No problems. In January of this year, we started having speed issues, so I upgraded to the highest HOME service. STILL having problems with speed issues. Every time I call, I get someone who foreign and I can't understand most of what they're saying. They have me repeat the same procedures every single time and I've done it so much that I already have it done when they get on the phone. I've been told that the problem is on THEIR end, but they won't adjust our monthly rate until the problem is resolved!!! How do we file a class action suit against this company? Enough is enough!!! Will it help to report them to the BBB, FTC or FCC? I don't care what it takes......I just want this company to admit what they've done to their customers and to have to repay us for the services we haven't received!! Donna R Spring Hill, TennesseeU.S.A.
May 15 2009
Hughesnet Blocked My Quilting Website Germantown Maryland
Very simple, Hughesnet has blocked or provides poor connection to my WebSite We are a small website dedicated to quilters. We have a loyal following of around 20 users. We are hosted on ANHosting (MidPhase) and it appears that this is a complete issue with Midphase. The issue is easily fixed, but Hughesnet seems to be throttling their connections to certain services over others. The way they did this was to provide an unreliable internet path that would drop packets and corrupt the httpd process. This would lead to 501 errors. Hughesnet will undoubtedly point their finger to my hosting company, and my hosting company will point the finger to Hughesnet. Hughesnet provides NO access to ANY support. In fact the individual at technical support would only help me if I had an account with Hughesnet. The Tech support guy did let it slip that the traceroute to my site was one given to sites they feel didn't deserve there resources. The Tech support person also acknowledged that he too could not get access to my site. My users are Quilters yet they have been able to provide Traceroutes and IP addresses. After jumping through hoops, MidPhase acknowledged that they new about the problem way before I submitted my issue. MidPhase then had me go through over 80 emails to come to the conclusions they did. At that time I already knew what the problem was (I am a Management Information Specialist). I must admit that the time it took MidPhase to come to the expected conclusion they did was discouraging. It seemed to be an attempt to snow ball this issue by pressing my users to not provide the information they requested. Unfortunately no one messes with Quilters, and these Women would not sit down and take it. Fortunately I just humored them, I already had the proof I needed to single out Hughesnet as the culprit. I welcome an resolution that will allow my users to access the website. Mike Rochester, New YorkU.S.A.
Apr 18 2009
Hughesnet no bandwidth, no upload speed Chicago Illinois
i have had hughesnet for almost 2 years ,ive lousy internet ever since we got it, every day around 4 oclock you lose all speed,ive called tech about 100 times for all the good it did me, i still have no internet,is anybody else having this problem.its just a ripoff James marion, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Chicago, Illinois
Jan 15 2009
Hughesnet charged me $521.18 for one day Germantown Maryland
I contacted Hughesnet to check on there service and the speed of downloads. after talking to them, I decided to give them a try. The agreement was to lease the equipment and therfore it would be a $99.00 activation fee which I gave them my debit card number. A few days later an installer came to hook it up which cost me another $170.00. I called the very next day and had it disconnected because of the slow service on one computer and could not even get on line with the other one. The very next day I checked my bank account and found they had taken another $252.18 out of the account, I called and talked to someone for a long time, who got his superviser who told me he could not do anything until maybe next month. When I ask where he was he said the Phillipines, I then ask him if had autherazation to do anything more and he said he was the top guy, I ask who the owner was and his or her number he said he did not know who owned it and had no number not even to the corp. office which I did get on line. I am so mad and have bounced checks because of this. I have an appointment with my Lawyer in the morning Sue Chipley, FloridaU.S.A.
Jan 17 2009
HughesNet FAP Fair Access Policy Anything but Fair! Internet
Living in a rural area, my options for receiving high speed internet access are few. Dial-up is excruciatingly slow and our local wireless provider's up time is horrendous. For this reason I became a HughesNet customer. I have no complaints about the quality of service and monthly rates are roughly comparable to cable and DSL available to those who can receive those services in the area. HughesNet's Fair Access Policy is anything BUT fair. It smacks of mass punishment. All users suffer because of the actions of a few. By that, I mean those who circumvent the intent and sell or otherwise provide a signal to their neighbors. The standard home subscriber is limited to 200mb of traffic per 24 hour period. With streaming audio, video, antivirus updates, software updates, etc., the 200mb limit is woefully inadequate. Additionally, I have no real control over someone attaching a large photo or video to an email I might receive. I am perfectly understanding of the reasoning behind HughesNet's FAP, but in this day and age of the internet, 200mb is archaic. If HughesNet is going to continue to utilize a FAP, they need to to increase the lowest tier of traffic to at least 500mb per day, or else find another way to identify and deal with offenders. Rayray Victoria, TexasU.S.A.
Mar 30 2009
HughesNet Ridiculous $300 Early Termination Fee Chicago Illinois
Last March, I spent $500 to get HughesNet satellite internet, because there was no cable or dsl in my area at the time. I continued spending $70/month + $5/month invoice fee for 1Mbps/200kpbs upstream speed internet that is slower than cable, dsl, and stops working after using only 375MB of bandwith in a 1-2 day period. Now I have Verizon DSL available, which provides FASTER service for only $17.99/month, with only $59 of upfront cost, instead of $500 like those bastards at Hughesnet, and no 375MB download threshold. I called up Hughesnet to cancel, and they told me there would be a $300 early termination fee!! Don't you read contracts before you sign them sir? was what the snotty Hughesnet phone rep snapped at me. Now if they had given me free installation, or a free satellite dish, I could understand they might want to make their money back if I cancelled within a year or two. But I spent $500 on install/dish fees, I've spent over $800 on their crappy service for 1 whole year, and they still want another $300 for canceling before two years of service! Do yourself a favor and do not deal with these crooks. Wait for DSL or cable internet and you will not get raped by the Hughesnet bastards. Oliver colrain, MassachusettsU.S.A.
Entity: Chicago, Illinois, Internet
Sep 12 2008
Hughesnet VERY SLOW - Do NOT Purchase! Internet Vermont
We have hughesnet because we live in rural area and our options are limited. We upgraded to a more expensive plan because the company claims the service will be much faster. They lied! My husband spent hours on the phone and was transferred to someone in India. This guy told my husband similiar things in other reports listed. They told him to schedule downloading during 0300 am & 0600 am! This is crazy! My husband continued and finally got in touch with some technician from FL. He was very honest with my husband, said there was nothing that could be done because the company is too crowded with customers and don't have the capacity with their satellite ownership! We're also locked in on this contract that is obsured because they practrice false advertisement. Please, please, don't go to this company. I honestly believe you can get dial up for a lower cost, with better results. As soon as our contract is up or if we have another option, we WILL be cancelling our contract. Pam St. Albans, VermontU.S.A.
Entity: Internet, Vermont
Aug 16 2008
HughesNet Early Termination Fee San Jose California
I received a post card from HughesNet offering a FREE upgrade to a 7000S system. The word FREE was HUGE on the front of the post card. I took advantage of this upgrade although the service didn't improve. The Fair Access Law was never explained to me until it was too late to cancel my service, the signal kept dropping off to which the tech would say in broken English, We will have to send a service agent out to fix it. After my initial 24 month contract was up, I called to cancel my service. I was informed that a $300 early termination fee would be charged to my credit card because a new 24 month contract was in place because of my FREE upgrade. I told the rep that I was not made aware of the new contract and was informed that it's in the original contract. When I asked what I was supposed to do with the $1500 of equipment I had purchased, she quipped, Sell it on e-Bay! In addition, they are charging me $125.00 for a service call from a tech who showed up 8 hours late and did nothing but adjust the signal. That's a total of $425.00 out of pocket for termination of incredibly lousy service, customer service agents who read off of a script, etc. Squeakywheel Burns, WyomingU.S.A.
Entity: San Jose, California
Sep 14 2011
HughesNet Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire!!!! Germantown, Maryland
Do not let anyone you love rent a HughesNet Internet dish.  They are fast talking, with a lot of false promises, then THREATS to ruin your credit.  They promised us High Speed Internet for $86.99 a month. LIE! They promised twenty-four hour technical support. LIE! They promised High Speed Internet.  Lie!  Lie! Lie! HughesNet will wheel you and deal you, then hit you with all sort of BIG BUCKS BILL that you supposedly owe them.  I called and set up installation time.  They sent me a email telling me that a certified professional has been assigned and he will install your HIGH SPEED Internet.  He would be contacting us within three days. True. Kevin  was the installer.  Very nice young man.  We were told by HughesNet to talk with the installer regarding additional installation charges that may apply based on our specific installation requirements.  Payment is do at the time of installation.  When the installation is complete, you will be billed the initial one-time fee and the first monthly service fee on your credit/debit card.  I was told get details of items included in installation see   Kevin gave me a blank INSTALLATION REFERENCE SHEET, one of seven.  There is no amount of money, my signature is not on this sheet (page1), Kevin's name - Date of installation 7/28/2011 - Time AM was all that is on it.  I never received a copy of pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.  I had no company phone number, or mailing address. I only had Kevin's cell.  Called six times, NO RETURN phone calls. I couldn't stay connected to Internet or I would freeze up.  I wasn't having this problem with another company and I'm not having any problems with this new company.  MAGICALLY stopped when I disconnected HughesNet!  I had Kevin's cell number in case I had any problems.  He said to call him first, because the company uses East Indian representatives who barely speak English.   I called, left messages but no return CALLS.  Not ONE!  Then attempted to email HugesNet, but I was not able to stay connected to Internet.  Even attempting to get on the Internet took 10 to 15 minutes.  Oh I forgot, I was on High Speed!  When I wasn't being dumped off the Internet my keyboard would freeze.  It took almost a minute to unlock.  I couldn't get out of the site, I couldn't even disconnect.  That's right this is HIGH SPEED! I googled to get a phone number for HughesNet.  Well that was just as much fun.  I called four times before I finally got someone to answer the phone.  And then it went down hill from there.  The first person be it female or male I couldn't tell, couldn't understand me any better then I understood her/him. It was a miserable 10 minutes for both of us.  She transferred me to technical person.  OH MY! Again an East Indian with a horrible accent, every time I had to ask him to please repeat, he became very upset.  Talking even faster.  Then he tried to transfer me.  I knew then I was lost in no-mans-land.  First static then click, then 30 Minutes of click, static .  But no live person.  By then I was willing to talk to PEGGY. This was August 30,2011.  I went back to Internet, got through to aChat text line, Chelsy tried texting me.  But I kept freezing or got thrown off the Internet.  She got part of a message when I finally said I was canceling my account.   I received another email from DONOTREPLYHUGHESNET calling me Ms. Jakee or Jakee  I had asked them for a RAM Request number and mailing address to return their equipment.  They told me they would be sending a manual of instructions and a boxes with prepaid label.  But it would be any where from 15 to 21 days after cancellation of service,  to send this to me. August 3, 2011.  I received another HughesNet love note.  Again calling me MS. Jakee and beginning the paragraph with Jakee.  Well at least they spelled my correctly.  Telling me (Jakee) that they were glad to hear I wanted to return the product.  Oh please, it is a piece of garbage that is over priced to begin with. September1, 2011 they mailed out the KIT.  We got it September 6, 2011.  We disconnected everything on August 21, 2011.  In this Kit.  I received a nasty threatening letter.  Stating we needed to return the equipment to them within 21 days of the end of your final monthly billing cycle.  NO DATE or EXPLANATION of when the FINAL MONTHLY BILLING CYCLE begins or ends. If you fail to return the equipment to us within this period, we will charge your account ( and your previously provided credit card, if applicable) an Unreturned Equipment Fee of $300.00.  HugesNet had already attempted to with draw this money, the bank called us. Both the modem and radio transmitter must be returned to avoid these fees.  If only the modem is returned, the amount of the fee will be$200.00.  If only the radio transmitter is returned the amount of the fee will be $100. Further, we remind you that failure to return the modem and radio transmitter to Hughes, or to pay the applicable Unreturned Equipment Fee may result in serious consequences to you, as Hughes may elect to report this incident to credit reporting agencies and to pursue any available legal remedies. We shipped their modem, radio, power supply, LAN cable.   By FEDEX September 7, 2011. They sent us Termination bill $335.54.  TERMINATION FEES $400.00, Rental Fees HughesNet Residential Rental (L)-PRORATED $-9.02, OTHER FEES Property Tax Surcharge- Prorated $-0.68, SERVICE FEES HughesNet Basic-Prorated $-54.18, Total Charge $336.12.  ADITIONAL PROPERTY TAXES MI State $-0.04, LEASE TAXES MI State $-0.54.  Issued August 31, 2011.
Aug 12 2011
Hughesnet internet service Lousy internet service Internet
  I started using Hughesnet in November and have regretted it since.  When I ordered the service I was not informed of many things that are possible to go wrong.   1) the expense is more than advertised. You have limited bandwidth (access) to the internet and if you go over your daily allowance, you have to buy tokens to get more, this added as much as $40 dollars a month to my bill. I have ran out of bandwidth checking my e-mail, as with most homes there are 4 users in my house. In the 10 months I had this service it has cost me over $1300, counting purchasing the equipment ($300).   2) The customer support is less than bad. On 3 seperate occassions I tried to change my mailing address from a P.O. box to  my street address. It never took.   3) The service is affected by ANY   weather change.  I have had dish and direct tv(both sattelite, and I never have had the problems with these services.  Heavy rain, heavy and even light cloud cover and most recently the heat can interupt the service. Even on clear days it will drop a server and lose your service .   4) I was told on several occasions that the problem was in my computer, I have switched to ATT and can honestly say, it is not my computer!                                                                             5) The customer service is totally lacking, I was given upgrades and discounts to try to 'make it work' to no avail.  After trying to make this work by working with Hughesnet, I was informed that I would have to pay another $295 for early cancellation. Are you kidding me?!?!?    I have NEVER been more unhappy with a service like this, and I have told the company that in light of my patience (I have no more with them) I don't believe I should have to pay this fee.  Then they have the nerve to tell me if I remove the dish and send it and the modem back at my expense, I will only owe them $16.01!!! Are you kidding me?!?   I would try very hard to dissuade anybody from using this service, dail-up is faster and cheaper.
Entity: Internet, Internet
74, Report #701954
Mar 02 2011
Hughesnet do not pay for this service Internet
As I speak, I am waiting for a download from facebook, just after I paid five dollars to get more download time.  I have been played for a fool again.  Hughes net is verrrrryyyy slow period and do not help when you call to find out why..  They just want more money.  Be verrrrryy careful.
Entity: , Internet
May 03 2011
Hughesnet They must all be in India Internet
I also got taken by hughesnet. We don't have anything else where I live. We barely have cell service and can't get any help with that unless we are willing to pay for upgrades. I called Hughesnet to complain and wanted to talk to a cutomer service person and there is no way to get to anyone. I Kept getting sent to India. I told them I wanted to talk to someone in the United States and they told me I was talking to someone in Tech service in India and that there is no way to transfer me to anyone in America. I told them again that I wanted to be transfered back to customer service in America and he said there was no way he could do it. I Said with all this technoligy there is no way to transfer me bact to the States, he said thats right. I was so mad I hung up and called back and tried a different extention ( to change my service). I figured that would get me customer service in the states. When the person answered. He said his name was Kevin. I asked him where he was. He said India. I tried every way to get someone in the states and only got someone in India. Is that where this company located. If so that is probably why the service is so bad. I can't even get faster service since it got to the 200mb or whatever at least 2/3 months ago. That's when I found out about that FAP or what ever it is. All I know is when I first got the service 13 months ago I didn't have this problem.
Entity: Internet, Internet