Safety Enterprises Beware niles, Ohio
I have read several reports on two seperate websites regarding Safety Enterprises and wanted to weigh in with a bit of advice for anyone considering employment with this company.
Although there have been a handful of defenders most of the feed back has been negative. If you are considering interviewing with or working for this company here are a few things to keep in mind.
The red flags are plenty:
1) the newspaper ad, and call to set up the interview are very vague. A legitimate company has nothing to hide, will answer the phone (nine times out of ten you get screened through the answering machine and your call is returned the next day), and will not attempt to cover up their door to door sales job by calling it office management.
2) there is no investment into you by the company. they do not pay you a salary, and will charge you $165 for a training kit. According to other reports the investment does not stop there.
3)during the preinterview presentation they tell the group about a four step training process to become an office manager, you ARE NOT an office manager you are a salesperson spending your own money to open a office peddling their crap to your friends and family? Why friends and family? because they provide NO leads.
4) no qualifications needed. why they wanted a resume is unknown because its on the spot you want the job I could have told them anything about my qualifications they wouldn't have cared.
5)Very unprofessional. The office manager and her second in command were...well go to an interview and you'll see.
6)disorganized as well. call their number for an interview four times in a day, leave four messages, and they will call you back four times like they never spoke to you before. The day i interviewed i called that morning because the recording gives you an address. didn't even leave a message, but still got a phone call a few hours after the interview to see if i was interested in coming in for an interview.
7) there stated goal is offices in the area of Ohio I am in to be Warren, Youngstown, Hubbard, Niles, and Girard. These cities are within approximately a half hour of each other, if that. Unless you are walmart or mcdonalds a business cannot saturate an area like that and succeed.
8) Been in business since 1992. You would think an impressive web site at least. Go to www.safetyenterprises.net and check it out.
9)this is 100% commission based, which can work, nothing wrong with commission, however, when I asked what the rate was, the question was danced around. Little background, part of the training is selling $3000 worth of their stuff. When I finally got an answer to my commission rate question, you start out at 10%. Think about that, you only make $300 out of $3000. Alot of work to go through training, generate your own leads, and try to sell this stuff for $300.
10) finally, the number one red flag for me was during the group presentation we were told if we don't like any of the locations on the board, once training is completed let them know where you want to go. ??? so its my pick? how about Miami Beach, away from the Ohio gray skies? what company let's you pick your own location to set up shop and manage an office with no education or experience? how about one that is forcing you to burden the entire investment.
I won't neccessarily say this is a scam, but you know the saying if it walks like a duck. At the least if you are someone interested in Safety Enterprises, be smart, ask questions, and know all of the facts. They will not tell you the whole story up front.
So if you like pyramid schemes, and have alot of friends who are frivolous with their money and like to get drunk, start fires, and buy overpriced fire extinguishers than Safety Enterprises is for you. They won't get my $165 for all the reasons above. Tread carefully and remember if it sounds too good to be true its probably too good to be true.