Complaint Review: Target - Nationwide

• Reported By: Stapleton Alabama
  • Target
    1698 US Hwy 98 Daphne, Alabama 36526
    Nationwide

Target ripoff unfair return policies Nationwide

*Consumer Suggestion: What part of this don't you understand?

*Consumer Suggestion: What part of this don't you understand?

*UPDATE Employee: This may help you understand a bit more...

*Consumer Comment: Forget what I just wrote....

*Consumer Comment: Welcome back Dale...

*Consumer Comment: DUH

*Consumer Comment: Targets not the only one

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Former Employee of Target

*Consumer Comment: Copyright?

*Consumer Suggestion: I have to agree with everyone but Sheila

*UPDATE Employee: Copyright Law!!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Crazy

*Consumer Suggestion: What problems does Target have?

*Author of original report: Kudos to Dale

*Consumer Suggestion: Your problem

*Consumer Comment: Yes, Bekki got it

*Consumer Comment: Do You Want Resolution?

*Consumer Comment: nearly every retailer in the country will not return computer software

*Author of original report: Thanks for your support

*Consumer Comment: It's a copyright thing

*Author of original report: To Paul

*Consumer Suggestion: Walmart does not want you either. No one does.

*Consumer Suggestion: I can't make something work, therefore I must have been ripped off. There's no other logical explanation here.

*Consumer Comment: What you mean by saying something new

*Author of original report: Remember what this site is for

*Author of original report: Gee the truth comes out-you don't know everything

*Consumer Comment: The n**i-ism thing lost me

*Consumer Suggestion: Software and thiefs and the uneducated.

*Author of original report: Only thing free is your annoying comments

*Consumer Comment: It's easy giving stuff away when you don't have to pay for it.

*Author of original report: Get your facts straight

*Consumer Comment: We did understand the complaint

*Consumer Comment: Oh puhlease!!!

*Author of original report: Why don't we just assume everybody is dishonest and abolish return policies altogether

*Consumer Suggestion: Not a ripoff

*Consumer Comment: Try this scenario

Beware of Target, especially when purchasing any software. I recently purchased software on clearance and when I tried to install the software on the computer, it would not install, and I was afraid of damaging my computer. I tried to return the item , still in the box and with my receipt and they refused to take it back because it had been opened. I explained to several store personnel and the store manager, but the only thing they would do was to exchange it for the same ddamaged software.

I have been a customer of target for a couple of years. In fact my printer which I had purchased there had been returned, and some speakers had to be returned because they were broken.

If they would not return my money, I would have been satisfied with getting a different software or dvd's etc. from the electronics department, but Target would rather lose customers than admit they are wrong.

This company does not value their customers and does not appreciate business they receive from loyal customers.

One final thought: How do yoou know a product is defective unless you open the box? And if a company sells a product how can they claim they are not responsible?

Sheila
Stapleton, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/23/2005 02:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/target/nationwide/target-ripoff-unfair-return-policies-nationwide-158118. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
55Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

What part of this don't you understand?

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

There is absolutely no store in the USA that will take back software that has been opened. Your arguments are totally invalid since return policies are printed on the back of the receipts. What part of this don't you understand? How many rebuttals do you need to realize you are WRONG WRONG WRONG???

#2 Consumer Suggestion

What part of this don't you understand?

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: Noah - (U.S.A.)

Greetings. I currently work at Guest Service at Target in Arizona. There is a bit of a problem with you returning merchandise that has software. Unfortunately, Target is bound by Federal Copyright Laws that will not let us do anything with opened software (CDs, DVDs, etc.). Even if we wanted to, there would be no way that we can return opened software, even if it is defective, because if we are caught, charges can and will be pressed against Target. The only thing that we can offer you is an exchange for the EXACT same piece of software, because that is allowed by Federal Copyright Laws.

It isn't Target's Return Policy that you have a problem with, it is the Copyright Laws.

AUTHOR: Noah - (U.S.A.)

Forget what I just wrote....

AUTHOR: D - (U.S.A.)

And just do a search for "IHOP"

Welcome back Dale...

AUTHOR: D - (U.S.A.)

It's been quite some time. So, how's April? And how goes your "business" of being a consumer advocate? Folks, just do a search for Waldorf, MD and you'll see a ton of reports from these two people. And build your own opinion of them.

DUH

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

Just unbelievable that you think you can return opened software. Are you new to owning a PC? Nobody...repeat....NOBODY will take back an open software item for refund.

How do they know you didn't go home, copy the disk and write down the registration key (if there is one) and then just bring it back? They should exchage if if it's defictive, but if you look at the box, that 99% of the time has system requirements written on it so you know ahead what it will or won't work with.

If you did install it and it didn't work, maybe you have a problem with your PC itself or your settings. Some programs work with others, some don't. You can't install really great anti-spam or anti-virus programs and then expect to load a peer-to-peer file-share (P2P) system that is loaded with spyware onto your computer. That's what the anti-virus program was put in to stop...cause we all know P2P systems are loaded with it if you get the free versions.

I found that out the hard way, but in retrospect, that was a no-brainer that it wouldn't work afterward...what the hell did I expect?

If you are really naive, then you can go on thinking everyone is honest. I just started working in retail management and it's disgusting how the most honest person you look at will walk out with a load of stuff in the bottom of their baby carriage and then come back later for a refund. Sorry to say, society has become that way and you really just can't trust people like you could long ago. Maybe not your fault...but too many people ruined it for those honest ones that are still out there.

Maybe you can go to your local PC repair geek and get them to have it work for you.

Targets not the only one

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

I agree with you 150%,But Targets not the only one. I purchased a software for my computer at Best Buy and there policy for return of software is the same. Hope this helps before you buy any thing for the holiday shopping.

#11 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Former Employee of Target

AUTHOR: Mary - (U.S.A.)

I've worked for target at the customer service desk for several years. It's as simple as this. There are copy right laws preventing people from buying software and returning it. Sorry your SOL. Stop whinning b/c you don't get any special treatment. Target followed policy. You can follow up with the manufacturer.
The stuff I have seen people try and return is why they make such strict rules. End of Story.

Copyright?

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

Maybe the reason that Target and other retailers will not return opened merchandise is because of the copyright violation there. Its no different than file sharing if retailers would engage in the act of openly exchanging or refunding opened software. Also, the financial implications would be devestating. It was previously posted that it would not harm these retail companies...what line of work are you in? If everyone started returning your merchandise, you refunded the money, and then didn't get it back from the manufacturer how long would you last? Not to mention that everyone would take advantage of it. Understand although retail companies post billions in sales the average net income after expenses is around 5% on a good day. And yes you still will shop at their store...or another like it...unless that is you don't need food, toliet paper, or all the other essentials of life.

#13 Consumer Suggestion

I have to agree with everyone but Sheila

AUTHOR: Sean - (U.S.A.)

Target, Fry's, compUSA, Office Max, Office Depot, etc. WILL NOT refund your money for ANY opened software. And everyone here has said that. Why can't you seem to get that through your thick skull Sheila???

Just because the program won't install, doesn't mean you deserve your money back. Maybe the product you bought was faulty, and a new product will work. maybe you didn't read your requirements correctly, who knows, you're not giving us all the details. You want to blame everyone in the world but yourself.

Oh yeah... Look at the receipt genius. It will have the return policy on there.

Good day M'am!

Copyright Law!!!

AUTHOR: Sherry - (U.S.A.)

Opened software cannot be returned because of FEDERAL LAW! Here's my suggestion, either take the game to a used game shop and sell it or go complain to your federal government.

#15 Consumer Suggestion

Crazy

AUTHOR: Shandra - (U.S.A.)

No one refunds for open software. Period. The store owes you nothing for the program not working take it up with the manufacture, or maybe your computer is the problem.

#16 Consumer Suggestion

What problems does Target have?

AUTHOR: Britton - (U.S.A.)

Tell me Shiela or should I say Braniac, what problems does Target have? Do you have some inside information on the comapny that we all do not have? I had no idea they were having some major problems. Wow, that is a first to me.

My suggestion, get of Target all together!

Toodle lu!

Kudos to Dale

AUTHOR: Sheila - (U.S.A.)

I thank you for your recent comments, it's nice to see that someone reads everything that has been said instead of making the forum into something that is is not.

Believe me, my life has not been destroyed becase of this, I just posted a comment about my experience. And yes, it is a lesson learned, just be careful with Target's clearance software, I just received an e-mail from a friend whose son-in-law is a computer specialist who is having the same problem that I was. I still have not heard back from the manufacturer so I doubt there will ever be resolution.

Please be careful, if Robert ever thinks that anyone agrees with him his obnoxious level will go through the roof.

You seem like a nice person and it is nice to know that someone out there has a handle on the situation.

Take care of yourself and thank you for common courtesy- I was beginning to think that it has become non-existent.

I've moved on. Life is more important than Target policies. They have their own problems.

#18 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Dale - (U.S.A.)

I feel for you, but everyone here is right, and I can assure you, 9 times out of 10 I always disagree with Robert, however, he's right. Policy is Policy and nothing anyone does or says will change that. Not to mention, one or even a hundred people complaining won't change that. No one like's these policy's but they've been established throughout numerous years and with every single company.

I'm curious as to what "Program" this was. Maybe if we knew, we could prevent buying it ourselves. Who knows, but all of us knowing which program this was, we could either help you with the problems you're having, or maybe this is a program with a "known" problem and others have complained to the company.

As "unfair" as it may seem to some, the only solution to this is to try the "exchanged" one for the original. If that still doesn't work, go directly to the program's company.

One thing I don't get from some of the rebuttalists, returning a downloaded program doesn't actually mean anything. 90% plus, of downloadable programs usually require the disk to proform the program regardless of being downloaded. However, if everyone means "burned" then returned, then yeh... there's a serious problem. Again, that's why I'd like to know what program.

This is just a lesson learned. Buy products that have a good rep'. Stay away from clearence. You don't have to be rich to buy good programs that work, just smart when buying, do some background on the program(s). We all live and learn.

#19 Consumer Suggestion

#20 Consumer Suggestion

#21 Consumer Suggestion

#22 Consumer Suggestion

Your problem

AUTHOR: Pete - (U.S.A.)

is with the program manufacturer, not Target--Period!

Yes, Bekki got it

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Bekki got it, just as everyone else did, except Sheila. She now says she understands the policy, but still thinks the retailer should "give" her something, "maybe a $5-$10 gift card".

Huh? What for? The issue is not a Target policy thing. The issue is a NO STORE IS GOING TO DO IT thing. Sheila still does not get it.

If someone buys an exhaust system from me(or any other shop) and decides to come back for any reason, from not liking the sound or wanting a different "look", they are not getting it for free.

They are not getting a $5-$10 gift card. They are getting zip without purchasing another.

If there is a problem with the system they purchased, they can have that issue taken care of for free. They are not getting their money back, as I cannot resell the system to someone else after installation.

Sheila wants to get her money back AFTER installation, per se. Just because the program would not load up properly, does not make the retailer responsible. The responsibility lies squarely with the manufactuurer and the customer.

I have two questions for everyone who thinks the stores should give money away. Why do you think businesses are bottomless pits of available cash to be given away? Do you understand anything at all about why profit must be made in order to remain in business?

Most people will answer "because" to the first, and "huh" to the second.

AUTHOR: Anne - (U.S.A.)

Go to the software company. Their tech support may be able to help you get it installed.

It may turn out that the software is an older version which was released before your operating system was invented. That isn't anyone's fault. Software companies can't see into the future to develop product for systems which don't yet exist.

In that case, you may have to purchase an update to make it work on your system. The software company can help you there too. Updates from the software company are usually much cheaper than buying new software from a retailer.

How do I know this? I work for a software company (and MY income is fixed too...whose isn't? Don't play that card, if you don't want it thrown back at you). Our disabled employees and my disabled children are supported by the money our company EARNS from our customers (so that card don't play with me either). We are more than happy to work with customers who are unhappy and find a fair resolution, including refunds when warrented.

HOWEVER, if a reseller refunds a customer without OUR authorization, he won't get a dime from us. So, go to the software company.

It's undignified.

nearly every retailer in the country will not return computer software

AUTHOR: Brian - (U.S.A.)

I would like to add my 2 cents in on this situation.

As far as software returns nearly every retailer in the country will not return computer software once it is open. As others have said the main reason is because of the fact that one can easily take the disc, copy it, then try to return it. Now yes there are sometimes issues and such with software but my big suggestion in the future is to research before buying something you are not familiar with.

Many companies also have trial versions you can download off of their websites as well which will give you a general idea of how well it will run on your system.

Also, if you do have trobles with the program you can also check the company's website for any program updates, information that can help you fix it, and elsewise.

Another thing is to obviously keep your Windows up to date. As you mentioned you are running Windows XP so Microsoft is always releasing update patches via Windows Update.

I hope this helps out.

Thanks for your support

Dear Bekki,
I appreciated reading your message and I am glad that someone out there seems to get it. I understand the copyright law, but what really upset me was that Target wouldn'tgive some small goodwill gesture to someone who frequents their store and does most of their shopping there. I know this can be done because I have worked for companies in the past who would do something (as little as a $5-10 gift card or some type of coupon). I've been to other businesses that will go that extra mile. They don't lose money they gain a customr for life. It's not like I'm getting that much out of the deal-I still lost money-it just something that would show me that they treat their customers well.

Hopefully somewhere down the road, the FTC would revisit their decision, because a lot of people fall into that "gray category"

Again, I enjoyed your comments and wish you the best.

AUTHOR: Charlotte - (U.S.A.)

I normally do not respond, but I had to here. If you don't like Target's policies on returning opened software, then don't go to Wal Mart, Kmart, Office Max, etc..or anyone else that sells software. They all have the same policies on opened software. But I cannot say this about Office Depo. I bought Windows XP from Office Depo for $200.00 and found out that I would have to upgrade my entire system in order for it to be compatable with my Windows 98SE system. It said that it was compatable on the box. Well, since I could not load it, I went back to OD, fully aware of the policy. I asked for the manager on duty and explained my situation very nicely and politely. I did not yell or demand my money back or get rude with her or act all high and mighty. After I explained this to her, she turned around and gave me my $200.00 back + tax. She told me that I was the nicest person in this situation that she has had in 6 months, everyone else justs acts very rude and demanding. How did you approach the staff about this??? My software was opened and the box was slightly ripped but received a full refund. I think that not all of the story is told here.

It's a copyright thing

AUTHOR: Bekki - (U.S.A.)

I know it may be frustrating to not be able to get your software to work. Trust me I know what that is like. I recently went to Target and purchase a discount video game for my husband. I accidentally got it for the wrong gaming system. My husband had already opened it part way before he noticed. I immediatly called Target and explained the situation. I was told that I could only return it for the same title. I had no problem doing that because it was the game we wanted, just the wrong system. I was told that the reasoning behind it was that it was due to copyright laws. Target is held to the terms of the laws. I'm sure you weren't trying to copy the cd. It was discounted, so you weren't standing to make a ton of money or anything. Unfortunatly though for all of us there are those individuals out there who do pirate software, and because of those selfish individuals the general public has to suffer. I guess the ones to blame in this situation are all of the software pirates. Afterall, if wasn't an issue there wouldn't be a copyright law about it. Sorry I know this isn't much help, but hopefully it gives a little understanding about why Target did what they did.

To Paul

AUTHOR: Sheila - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for your rebuttal. The only thing I take offense at is the elderly part. I regret that I put that in a comment, because I did not mean for it to be interpreted that I was using it as a sympathy ploy. I am actually a young woman people can become sick at any age (although the comment was a litttle funny)
I never intended to file a complaint-I've already gone through the proper channels. Its software-while the lack of customer respect annoys me to no ends to know that after years of shopping there, they really don't care about there base market,nor to they understand customer relations or negotiations.
I have pretty much accomplished what I sat out to do in the hopes that the company will review their handling of problemsolving and look at their overall return policy as it is driving customers away( I'm not just talking about software, any thing that they put on their shelves).

Thank you again for being a reasonble voice and offer comments that show you who can think and reason rationally(except for the elderly part) FYI: Jusst because somene has a disability most don't like to wear it on their sleeves. When I go out in public I like to look and be treated like a regular person.

#35 Consumer Suggestion

Walmart does not want you either. No one does.

AUTHOR: Britton - (U.S.A.)

Who cares if you do not shop at Target. Go to Walmart! Walmart will do the same thing. I guess your computer is going to be useless to you now. Where are you going to get your software?
How am I ignorant? Your only disabilty is your lack of knowledge! I could care less if you stutter or have an arm growing out of your rear. Your disability has nothing to do with Target or the software. Stop using it as an excuse!

You know nothing about business. Yes, in most cases you give returns. But when it comes to software and music you have to go to the company who made them to get a problem resolved.

I know why they created the Software for Dummies book now. I guess they need to create How To Properly Refund Software To Dummies now!

I bet you have a PC and tried to put Mac software in!!!!!! Now I see how Target really tried to rip you off!!!!!!!Not!!!!

#36 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

And, because I'm both disabled and elderly, and I have to type by moving my eyes, that means the company ripped off someone who is handicapped.

Why, those scoundrels! How dare they?

Unfortunately, there are many people who feel exactly like this. The minute something doesn't work, it automatically becomes a ripoff.

In this case, the store who sold the item gets blamed, not the software company.

Besides, it was discounted software to begin with. That tells you something right there.

If you truly have a defective product, I can understand your frustration. But, I can't see how target is to blame here. I know of no retailer who will refund on opened software. Either music or computer programs. Target is no different than any other retailer in that respect.

You know, I wish you'd mentioned the software name and the maker. If there is actually a defective product here, that would be the company to put the blame on.

Before you spend the time to file a complaint, do two things. First make sure you actually have been ripped off, not just having a hard time using the item. Second, find the right company to blame. In most cases, that will be the manufacturer, not the department store who sold it to you.

What you mean by saying something new

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

What you mean is that someone, anyone, just agree with you. That is not going to happen, since everybody, except you(and you probably do, you just don't like it) understands the reason for the no refund policy. Have a nice day.

Remember what this site is for

AUTHOR: Sheila - (U.S.A.)

Britton, To answer your question I am both consumer savvy and well educated. If you don't agree with me fine but I stand by my position. The remark about disability was totally uncalled for-it shows how ignorant you are sir. I get your point, but it is much more effective without the wiseguy attitude.

I have worked in retail before myself, so I do know return policies. Feel what you want. Do what you want. Remember this site is to lodge complaints about a company, not about attacking the individuals who are making them. I have just as much right to my opinion as anyone else. Believe me, if the software issue were a "rip-off" scheme for target, if that was my goal, I'd come up with something a lot better than that.

The way you treat others is the way others treat you.

Gee the truth comes out-you don't know everything

AUTHOR: Sheila - (U.S.A.)

It's very nice for someone who continues to ramble just to hear himself talk that you don't understand something. Maybe you are getting a clue. What you're still not getting is that in order to make your comment count- you need to to do in a respectful manner-you must earn respect in order to receive it. This is like an old song that just won't stop playing so let me make it crystal clear-I don't agree with you. The more you try to sound like you know it all, the more you come off as not knowing anything.

If you love Target-great. You keep missing my point, however. Business is more than crunching numbers, my friend. It is about the people you hire to represent the company, giving them the proper training, having the ability to problem-solve, and not forgetting your customer in the progress.

If you are going to keep responding I would appreciate that you come up with something new-because I've read everything you've had to say and it's getting old. Especially when all you can talk about is yourself.

God Bless

The n**i-ism thing lost me

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The n**i's were for the most part Capitalists. They just wanted the government to control the labor issues, thus the name National Socialist Workers Party.

It's not a matter of knowing everything. It's a matter of knowing how business works and how the majority of the population has no clue about it.

This comes from the nanny state mentality. I am not the only one who told you why the policy is what it is. EVERYONE told you the same thing. You are part of that 90% who only want to hear what they want to hear. I, and my customers. want to hear the truth...ONLY! If someone has a problem with a part I install, I'll take care of it, up to the point where my supplier says "nothing else is covered". This is how business is done.

The vast majority of my customers are repeats. The only ones who don't come back are the ones
who think I owe them something for the "priviledge" of working on their cars. Nearly all of my business comes from "word of mouth" advertising. This is how GOOD repair shops make their money...people telling people.

I love Target. I am sure they have a higher percentage of unhappy customers. Wall-Worlders come in and see how a good, clean, well organized store is run, and cannot handle it. They run back to where they can destroy stuff and return it. They like knowing the workers are just as confused as the customer base. They like eating food and not paying for it. Great stuff.

I'll agree to disagree. I know how business works, and how a free market capitalist society operates. You don't. Take care.

#41 Consumer Suggestion

Software and thiefs and the uneducated.

AUTHOR: Britton - (U.S.A.)

To Sheila from Stapleton, Alabama....I do not know if you are a thief or just uneducated. Not one company will refund opened software. Not one!!!! Get off Target! In fact if you want a refund you are supposed to contact the software company that is listed on the package. They will refund you if you are not a thief. If you registered that software prior....you will not get a refund.

Now what don't you understand? You need to get with the modern world. World War II has been over for years.

Do you know how to go to the website? The website of the company should be on the box.

I could careless if your are disabled. What does that have to do with your software? The only thing disabled is your lack of common sense to technology.

Only thing free is your annoying comments

AUTHOR: Sheila - (U.S.A.)

I have had extensive sales and marketing experience. Please let me know the name of your business so that I can avoid it because you do not seem to understand the very basics in business ethics or customer relations. The problem with know it all's is that they really don't know much of anything. Since you seem to be thick headed I won't continue to tell you where you screwed up yet again. Contrary to your "everybody wants a handout," I paid for merchandise on clearance that was defective. If you would do your research you would find that Target has numerous complaints on various website for the return policy period.

Here is a lesson you might like to learn: it's called negotiation. If a company trains their people properly, a goodwill solution can and should be worked out. Get something straight just because you are some bitter man does not mean that everyone is trying to stick it to poor big business. If you've heard of principles and fairness then maybe you would do us all a favor and find a hobby.

But if you think trading one defective product for another that may be sold out is equitable, then you can do that all you want.
There are no "red flags" here-just good common sense. Target as of today has a 63% disapproval rating for their overall services and return policies in general. So Mr. Business Man how successful will they be if they don't make changes and turn it around. Someting so simple as a giftcard $5-$10 while it does not compensate my loss it shows good faith and they would continue to have a loyal customer for life.

Oh and by the way, I know because I am a woman you feel that you must give me your vast knowledge, but I'm pretty expereinced with computers and I tried everything to install that program properly. The fact that the other program installed shows that that was not the problem.

We're talking retail not Nazism. Please, please, please, if you must respond make a valid point. Because all I get from you and having to respond to you is that you are closed-minded, don't always get your story straight, and believe you are right and everyone else is wrong. And it's not that I'm not listening to you, you're just not that good with people. So let's just agree to disagree.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You have obviously only worked for other people. It's easy giving stuff away when you don't have to pay for it.

The software company will NOT refund the cost of the product to the retail outlet. What they will do is exchange the product for the same one...just as the retail outlet will do. No store can refund anything if they cannot get the money back from the distributor or the manufacturer.

This is what we used to call "common sense". That was in a time before the nanny state, where everyone holds out their hand and waits for Big Brother to take care of them.

Everyone here has tried to explain to you how it works, but you will not listen. That goes back to the part about 90% of the people only hear what they want to hear. Just because the CD you bought may have had a flaw in it, does not mean all of them do. I have bought bad programs before. I took it back and got a replacement...no more problems.

The fact you want money back instead of the program sends up red flags to all concerned. Someone who bought the program, wants the program. This is also the reason DVD's and most VHS tapes have anti-copy stuff recorded into them...so people cannot copy and get their money back.

The problem may very well be your computer itself. I know, I know..."My computer is just fine"...great. Before loading any program, you should clean the disk(hard drive) and defrag. Then you are supposed to turn OFF your anti-virus program. If you failed to do this, it may have been what caused the software to not load up properly.

Get your facts straight

AUTHOR: Sheila - (U.S.A.)

This is to the gentlemen who fire off whatever comes off the top of their head. To the gentlemen that said I never installed the software, obviously you did not read very carefully. I followed the directions and worked with it for quite a while, not only was it not installing but to continue could have caused serious errors with Windows XP and yes I did read the system requirements on the box before I bought it. I had no problem installing a game that I bought the same day with no problem. So when I have a problem I can't handle then I will go to a professional.

To Robert - get a life. You are entitled to your opinions and I respect your rights for freedom of speech but I have the same rights also. When I make a purchase from what I consider a reputable company, I expect that it is a good quality product, from a reputable manufacturer. If a store puts an item on their shelf and it is defective-note the word defective-then they do have a responsibility to the consumer. No one should have the only option of exchanging one piece of crap for another.
I've bought movies, Cd's and software that I din't like, but I wouldn't try to return it because of that fact. I live with it and try to find someone who might enjoy these items. It is not being fickle or whiny, it is a principle here and maybe if you understood the concept of principles then I wouldn't have to keep writing rebuttals,

I've been in sales and I know guys like you. But I can tell you this, I've always gone the extra mile for my customer and because of that they came back to me and I never regretted doing the right thing.

We did understand the complaint

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

And we explained the rationale behind the policy. EVERYBODY says they're honest, even Todd the Thief in SC who steals food from WalMArt.

Using your scenario of taking a blouse home and ripping it, then returning it...they won't refund your money on that either. It wasn't ripped when you bought it.

It's been said that while everyone declares they speak the truth, only 10% ever want to actually hear it. The real TRUTH IS, 90% want to be lied to, because it makes them feel good.

Target followed company policy, the exact same policy every company floows that sells software.

As for the "disabled and fixed income thing", who cares? That has nothing to do with your complaint. FYI, the only people who DON'T live on a "fixed income" are commission salesmen, and people like me...the self employed. Everyone else knows exactly how much they're going to make each week/month.

Oh puhlease!!!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

You admit that you never even installed the software because you were "afraid of damaging your computer." How then can you state that the software was defective? That makes no sense.

Why didn't you get someone who knows something about computers to help you install it? Oh, I know why!! Because you probably made a copy of the software, hoping to get a refund for the original! Well, people like you is why Target had to revamp its return policy. Go try your scam somewhere else!

AUTHOR: Sheila - (U.S.A.)

I would like to respond to the individual's who comment regarding Target's policies regarding software. First of all, it is not unreasonable to expect a return or exchange for a defective product. I'm not talking about buying and then returning cd's,dvds, or software arbitrarily. I have been in the business world for many years and I had the product in the box with the receipt. Even Movie Gallery has a 30-day return on their pre-viewed movies. Do I think this will bankrupt Target or any other corporation? No. Do I think I am being unreasonable?
No. I've spent hundreds of dollars at Target every month and to ask for a return on a clearance software is unreasonable? I don't think so. Why not just abolish returns period? You could buy a blouse, take it home and rip it- that's not the stores fault but if you have a receipt you can get you money back. My whole argument was taken out ot context to a ridiculous level.

I am disabled and have a fixed income. It may not be a big deal to some, but having a program that is totally useless is a waste of money I can't afford. Target had options that would have worked for both of us. It is not being unreasonable to want fair treatment. Without customers, there is no Target. You don't know me from Adam but I am an honest person, and if it was that I didn't like the program, or just wanted to rip a store off, that is not in my nature and I would never do that. So before trivializing and making moot points, understand the complaint.

#51 Consumer Suggestion

Not a ripoff

AUTHOR: Jenifer - (U.S.A.)

They do that so customer's don't buy the CD, take it home and install it and then try to bring it back-essentially getting the program for free. This is not unfair---it states on your receipt that opened merchandise can only be exchanged for the same thing...if the next box was defective, they would gladly exchange that for the same software too. Otherwise, what is to stop someone from purchasing software and installing it and bringing it back time and time again and eventually having thousands of dollars of software installed that they didn't end up paying a dime for? No---I don't work for Target, but I'm stickin up for them on this one...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

YOU own a store that sells software. A customer buys something and then returns wanting their money back, not a direct exchange for the same software program. Are YOU going to refund their money? Not if you plan on staying in business.

While you may not have been able to load the program, they do NOT know that. What would prevent you from just SAYING the program would not load, and basically getting the program for free. If they do it for one, they have to do it for all. Nobody would bother BUYING the programs anymore, and then there would be no more programs. This is the reason NAPSTER went down.

You were able to return for a refund the HARDWARE because without it, you cannot use it. I have lots of programs loaded onto three different computers. I probably have about $3000 worth of software purchased and loaded. Why don't I just take the CD's and boxes back for refunds?

You are being unreasonable at best. The fact that you chose NOT to accept a direct exchange raises flags. If you really wanted the program, and the software was faulty, you would have taken another copy of it. If it still does not load properly, you would have to deal with the manufacturer of the program so they could work on fixing the problems. I do this all the time with Ontrack(V-Com). They have used my complaints over the years to update their software, just as ALL companies do. How do you think Microsoft et al come up with "fixes".