X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless - Wilmington Delaware

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Greenville Delaware
  • Verizon Wireless www.verizonwireless.com Wilmington, Delaware U.S.A.

Verizon Wireless BEWARE "Upgraded" Familyshare plan incurs $1.99 data charge for ANY Get It Now usage Wilmington Delaware

*Consumer Suggestion: Additionally...

We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
I recently "upgraded" my calling plan and phones at Verizon Wireless. Much to my dismay, the new Family Share plan charges at least $1.99 for every "data usage." What does that mean, you ask?? It means that if you click on "Get It Now" and it connects for one second, that just cost you $1.99.

I'm sure it is all disclosed very "clearly" in the fine print, but the sales person at the VZW store did not explain that one millisecond on Get It Now costs a minimum of $1.99 for data usage. So I end up paying 2 or 3 times the cost of a downloaded ringtone because of the MB charges.

I called to ask what the new charges are, and they said "well you don't get charged airtime anymore." Yeah - so what. I never used all my airtime anyway, and if I did, it only cost $0.25 per minute. Now I used literally 0.01 MB of data to click onto Get It Now, and got charged $1.99. PLUS the cost of the downloaded ringtone. So on one line I have $5.49 of Get It Now downloads, and $13.93 of data usage charges!

And the phone service rep said I can't just add 2 years to my old "America's Share Plan" -- now that I switched, I'm stuck. She waived the charges for the first billing (4 days worth) -- but my only recourse is to block all data access on the phones, and use the Verizon website. She said "they're trying to get people to move to the new plans." YES, I'm sure they are!

What a SCAM!!

Don
Greenville, Delaware

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2008 08:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/verizon-wireless/wilmington-delaware/verizon-wireless-beware-upgraded-familyshare-plan-incurs-199-data-charge-for-any-get-i-297148. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Additionally...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Saturday, January 05, 2008
If you click the "my account" on the phone's menu, you will also get this $1.99 data transfer charge.

We discovered this after I closed my account to transfer our cell service into my wife's name (she gets a discount thru her employer.)

I did get the data charge reversed after I called *611, customer service, and yes I had to request data transfers be disabled.

Also, it was explained to me that data transfers are charge based on megabytes moved rather than the time it takes to move them and are charge in 1 megabyte increments. So, a 300kb or a 1 mb transfer would eash cost $1.99. Fractions of a megabyte transfers are rounded UP to the next megabyte just as fractions of minutes used is rounded UP to the next minute.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair