X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Walmart - Oklahoma City Oklahoma

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: 73179 Oklahoma
  • Walmart 6100 West Reno Ave Oklahoma City, Oklahoma U.S.A.

Walmart do not check ids fo visa checkcards or credit cards... Oklahoma City Oklahoma

*Consumer Comment: I take it one step further.

*Consumer Comment: Poor Poor David

*Consumer Comment: Cory...

*Consumer Comment: Just Checking

*Consumer Comment: Cory, we've already had this discussion

*Consumer Comment: That'll Be The Day

*Consumer Comment: Card Not Valid ...

*Consumer Suggestion: Illegal to check ID

*Consumer Suggestion: Illegal to check ID

*Consumer Suggestion: I want them to check ID

*Consumer Comment: X -- Marks the spot, sometimes.

*Consumer Comment: theres ways to get people to ask to see id

*Consumer Suggestion: Bob Get your Facts Straight

*Consumer Comment: You are not liable

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: hello

*Author of original report: AGAIN I REPORTED THE CARD STOLEN SAME MORNING 10 MINUTES AFTER THEY USED IT......

*Consumer Suggestion: Larry, I read this differently.

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
my car was broken into 3 weeks ago,and someone stole my planner i left in my car i for got to take it out...so anyways this person hit the walmart i listed and used my VISA check card at 6.11 am to Purchase 255.20$ worth of Merchandise and no one bother to check for id or match signatures,walmart policy is to check id on any credit card or debt card or visa check card over 100$ bucks.

well the checker failed to do this and thi person got off with 255.20$ of my money.....and then we called lost provention the guy told my wife to her face ohhh we do not need to check id's or ask to match signatures...with the new card swiper we installed.....

thye alos told us we DO NOT care who used the card or signed the recipt as long as there was a signature........

WOW what a way to do business and uphold the publics trust in the company. i sent a Email to walmarts head offices but i never gor a reply....so this leads me to believe they do not care about customers or there wellbeing!

i guess anyone can use a stolen CREDIT CARD at WALMART as long as someone signs the recipt" but if you shoplift from WALMART THEY WILL BUST YOU AND TOSS YOU IN JAIL FAST.

MOST WALMARTS PPL WORKING THERE ARE Incompetent OR DUMB AND DO NOT DO THERE JOB LIKE ASK FOR ID'S ON TRANSACTIONS OVER 100$ LIKE THERE RULES STATES.

David
73179, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2004 07:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/walmart/oklahoma-city-oklahoma-73127/walmart-do-not-check-ids-fo-visa-checkcards-or-credit-cards-oklahoma-city-oklahoma-112237. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
27Consumer
1Employee/Owner

I take it one step further.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Thursday, March 16, 2006
There is a certain segment of society that steals at every opportunity, and I've found how to prevent it. I will require a thumb-print on a check, credit card slip or invoice, based just on my own personal judgement. "No thumb-print, take a hike, Pal." Amazing thing is, I've never been called on it and for all I know it may be illegal, but I don't care. I've been threatened a few times, but I haven't had to chase down a deadbeat in years and will continue to do this no matter who tells me I can't. I figure if the banks can do it, so can I. In fact, it was my banker's idea. It's simply amazing how many people will suddenly remember they have the cash on them after all, no need for that thumbprint.

Poor Poor David

AUTHOR: Sean - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, March 15, 2006
David,

Do you ever ask yourself why should you even get up in the morning? You seem to be the most unlucky person alive. First McDonald's and all their "foreign" employees screw up your meal, then I believe it was target or Circuit City won't refund your money because you don't have a receipt, now Wal-Mart is to blame because someone broke into your car and used your card.

Why is it that all these bad things are happening to you? Maybe you should stop blaming everybody else, and take a good look in the mirror. Because, you're good enough, you're smart enough, and dog gonnit, people like you.

POSTED: Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Target has been doing this longer than walmart has, (not checking id or signatures) Kohls now does not verify this either (unless you write a check then you need 2 forms of ID) I suggest if you want to be really safe just go to the bank and take out money and use that

Cory...

AUTHOR: Pete - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Saturday, January 21, 2006
'It's my God given right to use my card without any interferance from anyone.'

Get real! That statement makes about as much sense as drinking tea with a fork.

Just Checking

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Saturday, January 21, 2006
Just checking to see if anyone is paying attention. Keep up the good work Robert. Semper Fi and God Bless our troops and those navy guys.

Cory, we've already had this discussion

POSTED: Saturday, January 21, 2006
Some people might think you are being serious.

That'll Be The Day

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, January 20, 2006
That'll be the day I ever show an ID card to anyone just to use my credit card. It's my God given right to use my card without any interferance from anyone. No telling what they might do if they have a look at my ID and Godforbid if they wrote down any of my information.

Card Not Valid ...

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, January 20, 2006
Doesn't the back of credit cards say "Not valid unless signed"? That would lead me to think it HAS TO be checked in order for the transaction to be valid. Not that the cashier or whomever would bother to verify the name. Half the time they don't even bother with any sort of verification, just swipe.

#17 Consumer Suggestion

Illegal to check ID

POSTED: Friday, January 20, 2006
what? how is it illegal? to ask fo ID when someone is using a CC? i never heard of this, please show me in writing where it says its illegal to ask for id. thats a CROOK< becuase home depot ask for id and lowes and the local hobby shop witch i race R/C cars ((remote control)) thye ask for id for CC/check transactions from PPL they do not know.

so how can you say this? also at my wife job people use CC a lot they ask for id all the time.

#16 Consumer Suggestion

Illegal to check ID

AUTHOR: Wayne - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, January 20, 2006
It's Illegal in quite a few states to ask for ID with a CC. This isn't just VISA/MC policy this is STATE LAW. I'd like them to ask for it, but I recognize that 1) It's against the law in a lot of states and 2) It's against VISA/MC policy.

#15 Consumer Suggestion

I want them to check ID

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, February 25, 2005
I have on the back of all my credit and debit cards is "CHECK ID" in the signature block. The reason I do this is I shopped at Best Buy and on their receipt they print all the CC info (or at least they used to, I haven't shopped at Best Buy since).

A few christmas' ago, we bought a bunch of stuff at BB and the next day, over 500 dollars worth of stuff was purchased, right next door at Goody's. I called Goody's and they confirmed the sale and that it was a manual entry and not a swipe. They had the sales clerk on tape and would take care of it.

Between my bank and Goody's I got my money back, the clerk went to jail, and Goody's even sent me a $50 gift certificate which I gave to some friends as I don't shop at Goody's.

I so want every person who accepts my credit or debit card to ask for my ID. As a merchant, I do and if they can't or won't show me their ID, I don't need their business. More often than not, I get praise after praise from my customers and my repeat customers always have their ID ready.

Better safe than sorry.

X -- Marks the spot, sometimes.

AUTHOR: Allen - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Thursday, February 24, 2005
Think -- If you do not sign your cc or debit card and then someone steals it, all they have to do is sign the card and then the signature on the back will match any sales slip or whatever even if the sales person checks. Remember the people working at this type of job are not handwritting experts. If you put "check ID" still sign the card. Most places are now checking for ID. I understand that Visa and MC dont encourage or want to have ID's checked as part of their policy, but a Co as large as W/M can do just as they please, also Visa and MC make way too much money off the fees that they charge merchants to make too much of a stink about it.

One more thing, most places use the swipe/screen for you to sign. Take a close look at your signature next time, you will not even know it is your signature.

Last but not least, make sure the next time someone asks for ID and checks your signature to thank them.

theres ways to get people to ask to see id

AUTHOR: Vanessa - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, November 26, 2004
for the longest time i didnt even have my card signed i had a problem with signing the card because if it got stolen then hello the person can see how you sign your name and try and copy it. even though i didnt have my card signed no one ever asked me for my id i didnt take nothing of it. i knew it was my card at the time i was a waitress and did many cc payments and people are just so willing to hand them cards to anyone much like myself i pay w/my card when i go out to eat.then one day it hit me the waitress picked my card up didnt ask for id even though it wasnt signed then walked of out of my veiw with my good credit in her hand so i asked her if she was going to check my id she said no she trusts me so when i go home i took a black bold marder and instead of signing it i wrote see id and since then almost every time i use it they ask to see my id give it a try it cant hurt

#12 Consumer Suggestion

Bob Get your Facts Straight

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Monday, October 25, 2004
Whenever you use a check card you are only requires to use a pin if you process it as a Debit Transaction. If you use a self swiper at a register and choose credit the Pin is nnot required. If you use a self swiper then the employee does not even handle or see the card.

You can't blame the store if they use these types of transactions. I use a check card all the time and I have never been asked for an ID.

I'll bet if they started asking you would feel put out wouldn't you????? Then what would be the point of the self checkers and the self swiping device and your wait in lines would become even longer.

POSTED: Saturday, October 23, 2004
Sorry to hear about the problem. But I'm looking at it from a different angle. EVERY time I use my Visa card at the local Walmart, they ask for ID. I always tell them no. To me it's a violation of my privacy. Here's what I found at the following URL http://usa.visa.com/download/about_visa/newsroom/press_kit/Visa_FAQ.pdf

"Q. Are merchants allowed to ask for identification when using Visa products?

A. While a merchant may ask for identification if fraud is suspected, it is contrary to Visa policy to require the consumer to show identification as a condition of the sale. If a merchant asks for identification and the consumer is unable or unwilling to produce it, the merchant is still obliged to accept the consumer's Visa card. Consumers who experience refusal of service based on identification may either call their card issuer to report the problem or call 1-800-VISA-911."

My problem is they know they're not supposed to do it, but insist on violating the rules anyhow.

You are not liable

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Sunday, October 10, 2004
You said you reported your stolen card immediately - I assume you mean you reported it to Visa. You did the right thing. From the time you reported the card stolen you are not liable for ANY charges on that card after that time.

Go to Visa, not Wal-mart. The card should never have passed the verification process (swipe in) because that checks against Visa's database. If Wal-mart did this and they received an 'OK' from Visa then they processed the charge. If Visa said "Not OK" the charge would not have been done. I've never been in a store where, when I used any credit card they asked for additional information. Many times they look at the signature but that is a joke too. The kind of card with your picture on it is good security.

Ooops, I realize you said Visa CHECK card. So I looked it up at the Visa website and found their indepth (kidding) security statement. "Security If Lost of Stolen. When you receive your M&F VISA Check Card, you'll be assigned a personal identification number (PIN). You'll have added security against someone making purchases without your consent."

If a PIN is required, how did they get that?

Anyway, get to Visa and you bank, even if you have done so. You'll more than likely lose against Wal-Mart, they checked the card and it was valid. Their responsibility should extend further but in reality it probably doesn't.

Good luck.

POSTED: Sunday, October 10, 2004
I REPORTED THE CARD STOLEN SAME MORNING 10 MINUTES AFTER THEY USED IT......SO YES WAL-MART DID NOTHING...AND THEY TRYED TO USE IT AT ANOTHER LOCATION AND IT CAME UP STOLEN/LOSS AND I HEARD NOTHING FROM WALMART OR THE POLICE THEY BUSTED SOMEONE WITH MY CARD THAT MORNING.

SO........YOU KNOW IT All.....

#5 REBUTTAL Individual responds

hello

POSTED: Sunday, October 10, 2004
i did report my visa check card AS STOLEN 10 MINUTES AFTER THE THIFE USED IT!

NOW IF WAL-MART EMPLOYEE DID THERE JOB AND CHECKED FOR ID TO MATCH THE SIGNATURES MAYBE JUST MAYBE THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN TIME THE CARD WAS RAN TO BE REPORTED AS STOLEN OR LOST.

BECUASE AFTER WE REPORTED STOLEN THEY TRYED IT AT ANOTHER WAL-MART LOCATION!! SO AGAIN BACK TO MY ABOVE STATEMENT IF THE WAL-MART EMPLOYEE PUT UP A ARGUEMENT AND CHECKED THE ID TO CHECK SIGNAUTRES THAT DELAY WOULD HAVE PROBLY BUSTED THEM......OR AT LEAST STOPPED THE TRANSACTION FOR 255.20$ ON MY CARD OUT OF MY BANKING ACCOUNT" NOW I HAD TO PAY BACK THAT 255.20$ BECUASE WAL-MART REJECTED THE Reversal MY BANK SENT TO THEM..........

SO DO NOT COMMENT ON WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW!

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Larry, I read this differently.

AUTHOR: Pat - (U.S.A.)

Larry,

I think you may have misread David's post. He did not say the card was used 3 weeks after it was stolen.

Here's how I read it:

- Card was stolen 3 weeks ago from today.
- Card was used the following morning at 6:11 AM before David realized it had been stolen.
- Wal-Mart failed to check the signature (if the card was used as Visa).
- Wal-Mart is at fault, and not willing to cooperate.

Your comments were not necessary.

Two years ago at server skimmed my debit card information (meaning they swiped my card on their little black box and returned it to me) and sold my information to people who proceeded to drain my account of $10,000. Some of this was at Wal-Mart. If any of the retailers had bothered to check ID, at least some of these criminals would have been caught. Fortunately, the bank gave me all my money back after I filed a fraud report.

Since Wal-Mart failed to check ID on the transaction, they are liable for the amount stolen.

Steve, I do not know how far you have gone with this, but your bank should give you the money back, except for maybe $50 worth. Depends on your bank's policies.

Good luck.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

David,

Your complaint indicates that your Visa card had been stolen three weeks before it was used at Wal-Mart.

If you had bothered to report the card stolen or lost to the issuer, the thief would have been arrested at Wal-Mart when he tried to use the card.

Your stolen card was used because you did not do your part. It is not Wal-Mart's fault that you did not report your stolen card.

Those of us who are careful keep a record of all of our credit cards and who to call if they are lost of stolen. The guy who stole your card bet $255.20 that you didn't have that information and you lost.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

#1 Consumer Suggestion

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair