X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Washington Mutual Bank - Seattle Washington

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Lakewood California
  • Washington Mutual Bank 1201 3rd Avenue Seattle, Washington U.S.A.

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
About two weeks ago, I received a new debit card with supporting information which said that my bank was switching from Visa to Master Card. According to the information enclosed, once I activated the new card or by April 3rd whichever came first, my old card would no longer be active. Not wanting the new card to begin with, I decided to hold off on it until I had to activate it.

About a week later, I was at a fast food restaurant purchasing $5 worth of food and swiped my card. To my dismay, it was declined. I could only imagine what the employee was thinking.

After work, I called Washington Mutual and asked why my card was declined. After checking, I was told that once they mail out the new card, they wait 10 days and then deactivate the old card.

I read the employee what the accompanying instructions said and told her that nowhere in the supporting documents did it say that my old card would be deactivated 10 days after mailing the new card. She could only apologize.

Although what Washington Mutual did was probably legal, it was totally unethical.

Thomas
Lakewood, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2006 09:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/washington-mutual-bank/seattle-washington-98101/washington-mutual-bank-ripoff-seattle-washington-178145. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
6Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Reason for Switch

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, March 15, 2006
From what I've discovered in the course of investigating my own problem with Washington Mutual was that the switch did not arise because Wamu wanted to do more for their customers ("now we're giving you $0.03 for every $250 you spend") but because the security of their old cards was grossly compromised.

Wamu in effect issued an immediate stealth recall on all their debit cards and, as far as I've seen or read, never owned up to the real reason behind it.

That's why Thomas got hung out to dry. True, Wamu probably didn't have a lot of time to mull over their options. But they at least could have been honest in their press releases. (Although a Wamu account holder myself, I don't have a debit card so can't comment on the letter they sent out. However, I do know it was after the fact for many people.)

Maybe Wamu needs to listen to some of those old bankers they're ridiculing in their new commercial.

Cash Back, Masterassist, 0 liability, etc

POSTED: Tuesday, March 14, 2006
I merely said "hopefully" they would enjoy the benefits more.

There is a 0.03 cent cash back on all purchases option with the new MC for up to $250/yr for customers, as well as Masterassist and other MC benefits that will give luggage insurance when travelling and instant cash to get home if sick or stranded on vacation, as well as a better zero liability policy than we previously had.

Although not a perfect switch, the added benefits are there. MC is not for everyone in the whole wide world, and I did not claim that, just stating the objective truth that there are added benefits to the switch and HOPEFULLY customers will be able to take advantage of them in the long run and offset the obvious hassle of switching.

MasterCard is not better than VISA

AUTHOR: Juliet - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Monday, March 13, 2006
Traci, Las Vegas: "There are some great benefits to Mastercard that will please customers, and although switching cards can be inconvenient, in the long run hopefully you will enjoy the benefits more."

Switching from VISA to MasterCard is NOT a benefit. I've even seen a site where ONLY VISA is accepted, and it wasn't a VISA sponsored site or anything. Also, if you travel outside the U.S., you may not be able to use the MasterCard for various purposes that are completely hassle-free with a VISA.

This bank did not do their customers any favors by taking away VISA and replacing it with MasterCard.

POSTED: Sunday, March 12, 2006
I apologize, as a bank employee, that the person you called gave you misinformation.

What was spelled out on the mailing you received was correct.

As a result of the company issuing over 100,000 new Mastercards daily, I (at work) have personally experienced some problems with the new activations - unfortunately the process is not perfect.

I apologize that you were one of those customers affected by an error.

After the Providian buy-out, switching to Mastercard was inevitable. There are some great benefits to Mastercard that will please customers, and although switching cards can be inconvenient, in the long run hopefully you will enjoy the benefits more.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair