Complaint Review: Central Casting

• Updated: Thu, February 06, 2014

• Reported By: Rob — Forked River New Jersey
Central Casting
875 6 Ave New York, New York USA

Central Casting EP PartnersCasting Networks Blacklisting Actors and their Family that are SAG/Aftra Union Members New York New York

I've worked as a Background Actor for over 5 Years in NYC Area. I've worked for 2 Years as a Non-Union Background Actor to achieve enough Waivers to Join the SAG Union. I Joined the Sag Union for $2400 and was proud of my accomplishment. I also joined the Aftra Union for $1663 and became a member. I was working regularly at least 3 days a week. My wife and children joined Aftra at $1663 each, which later became SAG/Aftra as the Union merged. One Union now we have Power in Numbers. In the 5 years as a Background Actor, I was NEVER late or ever had a problem on ANY set! I always conducted myself as a professional as being a business owner for over 20 years.

Then a day came this past August when another BG Actor came back into wardrobe and pushed all of my clothes on the rack so I couldn't get them. The wardrobe Crew was there and saw what happened. I asked the actor why he was so pushy. He said " You haven't seen pushy yet!" I finished dresing and then started to report to my car since I was a BG Car Driver for this Show. As I walked out the door, I turned around to find that actor behind me.

I was assaulted and then I started to protect myself. We were both stopped by a Locations Crew Member. I returned to holding and was addressed by an AD about what had happened. I explained and was told by him I was getting sent home for the day. My wife was also on set and stayed for the crew to maintain her professionalism. The AD said that he would call casting to make sure the other actor and I didn't work together on his set. I had no problem with that.

I drove back home and called SAG - Mary Hatch to report what had happened. I also tried to call Courtney from Central to report to her what had happened and she said she could not talk to me. I later received a call from Melissa Leisure from Central Casting Legal Depttelling me that I was terminated from Central Casting. I asked her why since I was doing nothing WRONG but protecting myself. I told her the whole story and she said she would get back to me.

A few days later, I received a email that I was terminated indefinately from ANY projects that Central Casting was casting. That's about 80% of all the NY business. Since then, I have NOT receive a job from Central Casting! The worst part is my family that was working for Central have not worked since September either. My wife was working 3 to 4 days a week before this happene, mostly through Central.

I heard from many actors that might have had an arguement with a PA or Casting Assistant. They might have had a problem being late with an Antique Car. They might of said something about a meal Penalty or something in our contract we are entitled too. Should that constitute for them for not giving us work anymore? So our lively hood lies in the hands of sometimes incompetent people, (for some of whom this may be their first job) whether we can work or not without a warning or investigation of an incident.

I hear that some actors are working all the time if they hire an ex-employee of a casting company for $50 a month to get their name on a list sent to their old agency. I hear there are actors working who send gifts to Central Casting such as Fruit Baskets or other things. They are being casted without any Casting Notices sent out and bring other Non Union Actors with them to get Waivered when there are Union Actors available.

I feel that my family and I have been BLACKLISTED. We have invested many thousands of dollars to ensure that we all have a livelyhood in the entertainment buiness. I tried to talk with our Union but they said they have no CONTROL on the Major Casting Agency of NYC that controls 80 % of all the Films & Television filmed in our Area. So being a Union Member entitles me to NO TYPE OF WORK at all.

So PLEASE be Aware of the PRACTICES of Cental Casting and their many casting Assistants and Directors.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2014 10:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Central-Casting/-New-York-New-York-10001/Central-Casting-EP-PartnersCasting-Networks-Blacklisting-Actors-and-their-Family-that-are-1121424. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Central Casting