Complaint Review: Charlotte Firefighters Association FireCo

• Updated: Wed, December 19, 2012

• Reported By: K — Charlotte North Carolina United States of America
Charlotte Firefighters Association FireCo
4419 Monroe Rd Ste A Charlotte, North Carolina United States of America

Charlotte Firefighters Association FireCo Fireco This Charity is a scam! Charlotte, North Carolina

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Not a Scam just not a great way to support

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Not the way to support

*Author of original report: Notice to Fireco/CFFA 660

*UPDATE Employee: Re: Charlotte Firefighters Association Fireco

I received a call from this company and donated $52 in 2009 because I thought it was a legitimate company.  However upon doing further research this year, 2011, due to excessive calls (over 100), I discovered that it is a scam.

The callers speak to the females of the residence only and proceed to ask very personal questions, such as:

1. Do you have a husband?
2. Does a male live in the household with you?

Luckily I did not give them my credit card information but rather had a check sent through my bank which does not contain any financial information.  I am creating this report to prevent any further citizens of Charlotte NC from falling prey to this hideous scam!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/06/2011 12:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charlotte-Firefighters-Association-FireCo/Charlotte-North-Carolina-28214/Charlotte-Firefighters-Association-FireCo-Fireco-This-Charity-is-a-scam-Charlotte-North-737414. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charlotte Firefighters Association FireCo

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Not a Scam just not a great way to support

AUTHOR: staffzombie - (United States of America)

Please understand that FireCO is not the CFFA it is a private company. With that said I worked there for a while and never were we directed to ask for the female of the house or if the husband was home unless they were the one we had dealt with in the past of directed to speak with. Now we were told to on the other hand to tell people one of the reasons for the call was to see if they had checked their smoke detectors recently. While this in and of itself is not wrong or bad because people do not always remember to check them.

I believe this sets up a false idea that the caller is a firefighter. Second not all of the callers say they are calling FOR the CFFA some just state hi this is Joe Everyguy Charlotte Firefighters Association. This i believe is wrong too and they should HAVE to say im calling FOR. It gives a false impression and while not illegal I believe it to be immoral.

Now as far as monies raised and distributed I do not know that. What I do know is all of the 24 employees get paid for the residential they also do business and the current manager has boasted him and his wife each make $1,000/wk for running the business. The callers also get holliday bonuses and some of the FFA even bring them lunch and throw in extra bonuses on top of their hourly and commission. This money comes from the profit raised from the concert tickets.

I was told while working there that paid professionals cannot ask for donations themselves thats why companies like FireCo take advantage.. I mean "help" them out by making the calls for them. But with management making so much weekly the goals they set being each person raising $78/hr they work plus im sure the owner of the whole company makes his money and business expenses and promoting for the show the venue for the show plus the entertainers I cannot see a whole lot of money going into these programs. The programs are great I just do not believe that Fireco should be making as much as they are and their methods are questionable. Please donate to help these guys but donate directly to them CFFA on their website not through their "fundraising" Office as Fireco calls it.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Not the way to support

AUTHOR: staffzombie - (United States of America)

Let me start by setting a few things straight. First off they do not ALWAYS ask for the female of the house so please speak strictly on your own experience. They most likely had it down to avoid you since you were uncooperative in the past second of all the company does not ask for a credit or debit card over the phone and are not set up to ask for one over the phone and the $52 was for two tickets to a benefit show and the price increased to $26/each in 2011 beggining of the year. With that said I am not defending this company more setting the record straight so more knowledgeable consumers can get the fact which will be in my next review.

Notice to Fireco/CFFA 660

AUTHOR: CharlotteKid - (United States of America)

Mr. Hopkins:

Is that not you in the picture included within the report? Do you care to explain to the City of Charlotte why you are not wearing clothes?  In fact this is the same picture that was posted on your website  up until two weeks ago.

Also is it not true that Fireco and CFFA are the same company? If not then within job postings for Fireco, the President of your association is named as the contact person.  It is illegal for policeman or firefighters to solicit donations, what you are doing is wrong.  The fact that you are also targeting the females residents of the home is also suspect.  I would suggest that any persons who are questioning whether this organization is a scam to google CFFA or Charlotte Firefighter's Association and read the pages and complaints within the following websites.

Also is this not a job posting of Fireco/CFFA below?  It seems based on the posting that you are not concerning about raising money for the firefighters of Charlotte but rather yourselves.

Per other research it seems that though a legitimate company, only 20% of your proceeds benefit charity.  What happens with the other 80% and why aren't all fire stations in the Charlotte area benefitting?
Best job in Charlotte, NC!
Inside Sales/Customer Service
I am crazy Rob! And I am even crazier then before!
I have jobs, jobs and more jobs!
I am looking for money motivated, hard working and dependable individuals. Im looking for those who understand the concept of having to work to earn a good living.
Inside Sales/Customer Service candidate will contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to request donations for charitable causes.
Candidates will:

Explain products or services and prices
Answer questions from customers
Obtain customer information such as name, address, and payment method
Enter orders into computers Requirements for this job are:

Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems
Provide great customer service Why work for me? Because these jobs are so easy, I am practically giving the money away!
Fun, laid back, rock-n-roll atmosphere. Casual dress.
Make $11 per hour and weekly bonuses!
Plus we offer:

Paid Training
$11 per hour after training
401k Paid Vacation & Holidays
Management Training & Opportunities

Re: Charlotte Firefighters Association Fireco

AUTHOR: treasurer - (United States of America)

I am on the Board of the Charlotte Firefighters Association and this report is incorrect.  We (Charlotte Firefighters Association) contract with Fireco to sell concert tickets for two concerts we put on each year as fundraisers.  We are not asking for donations we are selling concert tickets.  Part of the monies raised from the tickets go to pay salaries at Fireco and the other monies come to the Charlotte Firefighters Association.  To say that the caller only speaks to women is incorrect.  Part of the money we raise is used to provide smoke detectors for families that do not have them and part of the questions are to find out if their is a man in the house that could install the smoke detector if we send it to you.  If their is not we will come out and install it if need be.  The Charlotte Firefighters Association has nothing to hide and if you had called us we would have answered any questions you may have had.  Last year alone the Charlotte Firefighters Association donated more than $50,000.00 to charities and programs in Charlotte from the monies raised from this fund raiser.  If you have any questions please feel free to call out office at 704-331-9515.

Thanks