Complaint Review: Coinstar

• Updated: Wed, July 17, 2013

• Reported By: Karen — California
Coinstar
Internet USA

Coinstar machine undercounted, no disclosure of minimum amount needed to avoid fee Internet

*Author of original report: Edit: got help from customer service

I was cheated at a Coinstar machine in Alamo, CA today.

I noticed that my coins were being undercounted, so I stopped the transaction. Instead of getting the Amazon gift certificate I had requested, I was informed that I did not meet a minimum amount necessary to obtain the certificate and that I would be issued a cash ticket minus 10%. So I lost twice - once by having my coins undercounted and twice for the cash ticket fee. Nowhere on the website or machine does it indicate there's a minimum amount necessary for a e-certificate - or at least it's not obvious - I looked carefully for such a minimum. There is also no way to cancel a transaction.

I filed a complaint with my state attorney general and the Better Business Bureau. I feel that

1 - AG's should audit the accuracy of Coinstar's equipment.

2 - Coinstar's equipment should allow cancelation of a transaction

3 - the minimum amount needed to avoid a fee should be prominently posted on the website and machine

I will never use Coinstar again and I will tell everyone I know to avoid them like the plague.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2013 12:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Coinstar/internet/Coinstar-machine-undercounted-no-disclosure-of-minimum-amount-needed-to-avoid-fee-Intern-1067793. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Coinstar

Edit: got help from customer service

AUTHOR: hoodsmom - ()

I contacted customer service (with copies of my BBB and CA attorney general complaints) and learned the following:

1) the info about the minimum for the e-gift certificate is on the machine (buried in the fine print/terms and conditions). I didn't see it even though I was looking for info about a minimum

2) an independent agency does count coins once a machine is emptied. If an overage is detected, coinstar will refund a customer who complains if the customer has info such as the transaction number, time, location, etc.

3) coinstar customer service promises to make me (more than) whole for my trouble. There was an overage in their machine that day.

I still can't recommend their machines because the info about the minimum is not prominent, the machines obviously have issues and there is no way for a customer to cancel a transaction if (s)he detects a problem with the transaction.