Complaint Review: Crown Computers

• Updated: Thu, February 14, 2013

• Reported By: Jack — Elizabethtown Pennsylvania United States of America
Crown Computers
1638 S. Market Street Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania United States of America

Crown Computers Run don't walk away from Crown Computers in E-Town Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

*UPDATE Employee: Harrassment

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: What really happened...

I had a simple problem with a notebook and the internet.  I made a big mistake taking it to Crown Computers.

They did not do what I asked them to do, identify the problem.  Instead they contacted my wife and told her that the repair required them to reinstall Windows 7.  To do that they would have to back-up all of the data on the PC and reload Windows.  The cost for reloading Windows was $39.00 and the data back-up was $50.00.  A total of $89.00 plus tax.

What they did not tell her was that the PC that had a problem with staying on the internet would require her to spend hours reloading all of the software programs that had been her tools for working on the notebook.

They never investigated what the operating problem was, they assumed that it was that Windows was corrupted. Yes they did a simple back-up of the stored files and documents.  A task that anyone can do by saving those Windows files to a thumb drive. Then they re-installed Windows 7 from the notebook, another task almost anyone can perform at home.

This service took four business days and they charged $129.00 plus tax to create hours of work for my wife.  Additionally, when asked why they charged so much the owner coped an attitude  and lied about what he quoted as a price for the repairs.

In a follow-up phone call asking about all of the programs that had been loaded on the computer, he told me that we would have to re-install them.  Outrageous cost, poor communication, and quality.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/13/2013 09:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Crown-Computers/Elizabethtown-Pennsylvania-17022/Crown-Computers-Run-dont-walk-away-from-Crown-Computers-in-E-Town-Elizabethtown-Pennsyl-1013478. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Crown Computers

Harrassment

AUTHOR: pblinds - (United States of America)

John Bishop ( the customer ) Has been calling in making personal attacks towards us. He is cursing out anyone who is answering the phone, then hanging up.

If possible would avoid doing any business with this blackmailer.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

What really happened...

AUTHOR: pblinds - (United States of America)

The customers wife brought in her laptop, because of it would not boot into windows. She wanted her data backed up and to have the laptop checked out, then to call after we found out what was wrong. We backed up the customers information, then checked out the laptop. Windows has crashed, we tried to do a Restore and a repair to the operating system. After trying the repairs I called, talked to his wife and explained that windows would have to be re-installed, then gave her the price of the job which was 79$, and 50$ for her data to be backed up. I explained to her that everything on the laptop would be wiped off, and any programs that she put on would have to be reloaded. We got the go ahead to do the repair.

With the back up already done, we started to re-install windows. He came in, an asked for the status of the laptop after only 20 mins after I got done talking to his wife. I told him windows was corrupted and would need to be re-installed to get it back up and going. He thought Comcast was to blame for his wife's computer crashing. I tried to explain that Comcast wouldn't be a cause for why windows would crash, but he still insisted on that was why his an his wife's computer crashed. He was not satisfied with any answer that was given, we could not give an exact reason why the laptop crashed. I told him I will give him a call when it was ready to be picked up.

Called the customer up later the same day, to be picked up. He came in, I told him the final cost of the repair which was 129$ + tax as agreed upon, before I could even finish saying the price he flips out about it. Handed him the bill to show him. Starts to say our time isn't worth that much for the service. Threatened leave bad reviews on sites like Angie's list, if I didn't change the price. I ignored the blackmail, and I told him that I would not change the price. After he paid, another employee that was here made an offer to him that we would match any quote from another computer store in the area.

The customer called in the next day, saying that we lied about the repair cost, threatened us again. and said that we ruined his computer, creating hours upon hours of work for him to fix (reloading software). He was completely rude the day before and on the phone.