Complaint Review: Eharmony Dating Service

• Updated: Fri, February 12, 2010

• Reported By: WisdomofGlinda — sewell New Jersey United States of America
Eharmony Dating Service
Pasadena, California United States of America

Eharmony Dating Service Eharmony Sells Customers Information to Third Parties! Pasadena, California

*UPDATE Employee: RE: Eharmony Dating Service Eharmony Sells Customers Information to Third Parties

*Author of original report: Update on Report

I signed up for eharmony a few months ago. A month after signing up I begun receiving unsolicited publications to my home. After receiving multiple months of publications I looked into why I was getting them. It turns out that eharmony sold my private information to a third party who in turn began sending me items.

I contacted eharmony and was told that I elected to have my information sold to third parties to which I replied there is no way I would ever agree to something like that. The customer service representative told me there was nothing I could do and that she can provide me with the information about cancelling the subscription. I asked her what could I do about my private information now being bought and sold like a stock she said there was nothing I could do about it.

I have filed complaints with the FTC and the Attorney Generals Office in California. Its a shame because up until this point I had nothing bad to say about eharmony. Sure, I didn't find the love of my life but it was a gamble and I was willing to accept that when I joined. But I would dissuade others from joining just for the simple fact that eharmony looks at their website as a database of names to sell off to the highest bidder.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/12/2010 12:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Eharmony-Dating-Service/Pasadena-California-/Eharmony-Dating-Service-Eharmony-Sells-Customers-Information-to-Third-Parties-Pasadena-553128. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Eharmony Dating Service

AUTHOR: eHarmony - (United States of America)

Hi WisdomofGlinda,

Protecting members privacy and personal information is a priority for eHarmony. All of our policies and practices are described in the Privacy Policy posted on our web site (http://www.eharmony.com/privacy/statement). As a service to our members, we do at times offer advertisements, promotions, sweepstakes and offers from third party providers that we believe will be of interest. All of these offers are voluntary and members can opt out of any of them.

We regret to hear that your question about the magazines you received was not addressed to your satisfaction by eHarmonys Customer Care team. A section of the eHarmony subscription page contains information on this special free offer that is available as a thank you to all new subscribers. Anyone can elect not to receive this free offer and get a rebate for the $10 value.

Here are the details: "Included with your subscription to eHarmony is a magazine subscription of your choice valued at $10. There are no hidden costs, further obligations or automatic renewals associated with your subscription. If you elect not to receive a publication, you may request a refund for the magazine value within 30 days of your purchase. Be sure to include a copy of your receipt as proof of your purchase. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing. Offer is available to customers within the 50 United States and District of Columbia."

If you do not wish to receive the free magazine you were sent, please contact our fulfillment partner directly at hordway@m2mags.com. Include your name, address, and the name of the magazine you wish to cancel. They will provide you with a response within 24 hours and assist you with your concern.

Update on Report

AUTHOR: WisdomofGlinda - (United States of America)

I received an email today from eharmony which did not address any of my concerns and instead focused on how I would not be charged for the publications.

The customer service representative was sure to let me know that none of my billing information was shared. However at the end of the email he pasted eharmony's policy on private information which states that eharmony WILL share your billing information with any third party it chooses.

This is the real scam that people need to be aware of. This is VERY serious and it is illegal for a company to not disclose in big, bold lettering that they may "share" your information with a third party.

Any attorneys paying attention at all? This is unbelievable.

I encourage every single person who has paid for an eharmony subscription to contact eharmony's customer service directly to find out with whom they have shared your sensitive personal information. I also encourage others to file a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office in California, as that is Eharmony's base.