Complaint Review: FamilyRoots.com

• Updated: Thu, April 25, 2013

• Reported By: Carrie — Dallas Texas
FamilyRoots.com
PO Box 35307 Louisville, Kentucky United States of America

FamilyRoots.com Military Achievements, Family Roots PREYS ON NEW GRADUATES Louisville, Kentucky

*Consumer Comment: I agree with original poster

*UPDATE Employee: 100% satisfaction guarantee

Please spread the word about this company. They sell ancestry coats of arms, swords, shields, heraldry items, and family history write ups.

They set up their booth/kiosks on military bases and PREY upon the newly graduated soldiers. First time away from home, first real STEADY paycheck and full of overwhelming PRIDE for their country and their family name.

They "WOW" these young folks with shiny swords and shields and convince them they "NEED" these items to carry on their family crest and they must be proudly displayed.

The reality of it all is - these items cost HUNDREDS of dollars. My son's order was almost $1,000.00. He regretted it as soon as he got to his first duty station. He knows he has no where to display these items. What was he thinking? He has no idea. He is ashamed of himself, and wishes he never did it.

Their paperwork states they cannot refund my son because the paperwork claims they only have 14 days to cancel once the contract has been signed. (even though he is not done paying off the items, and they haven't even BEGUN to make the items yet) - they still say NO REFUND. We called, but they don't care. They will not give my son his money back.

They fail to recognize that most new soldiers go straight to tech school or other specialized training right after Basic Training. The LAST thing they are thinking of is that contract they signed a couple weeks ago. It caught up with my son once he got to his first duty station. $100 a paycheck was getting taken out, and it was adding up.

I truly believe this deceptive practice is done on purpose. Naive teenagers who have no worldly experience, no finance experience, no credit history - are the perfect prey for this company to set up AUTOMATIC DRAFTS out of their bank account because they KNOW these kids are getting a steady paycheck guaranteed for at least the next 4 years. Shame, shame, shame on them.

I truly believe these types of businesses should be banned from our military bases. I plan on taking this issue to the Department of Defense, The Texas Attorney General and anyone else who will listen! I do not think it is fair to approach our nation's newest soldiers and have them commit to such a debt straight out of boot camp. This practice is very deceptive and again - shame on them. Take this service to the mall, or keep it online. Our new graduates have enough to worry about.

PLEASE pass the word. Please tell your new recruits to not sign up for ANYTHING that involves their bank account. I still cannot believe someone could do this to our military. SHAME!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/18/2013 12:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FamilyRootscom/Louisville-Kentucky-40232/FamilyRootscom-Military-Achievements-Family-Roots-PREYS-ON-NEW-GRADUATES-Louisville-Ken-1035765. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FamilyRoots.com

I agree with original poster

AUTHOR: Magnicious - ()

They should be banned from military bases. It is absolutely ridiculous that they don't even BEGIN to create the product until AFTER you finish paying for it via a payment plan. Just absolutely crazy. 6 to 8 weeks AFTER you've paid for the product over the course of these several months!? Are they out of their mind? And 14 days to cancel as if they have given you a product? I fail to understand how I can go into Aaron's and get a TV and pay on it and have the product. There's no proof what so ever at what they've done at all. That's just ridiculous.

I am willing to bet they don't begin the "research" of your family roots last night until AFTER you're payment is made. They're not transparent at all. If they were they would reveal to you what they have found about your family history as it happens. It appears you get NO product at all until you finish payment. No product what so ever and that is absolutely absurd. How does someone pay on something for an entire year and have nothing to show for it until six to eight weeks AFTER? Your son and myself both go had but luckily we can continue making reports like this to steer others away from this bogus service/product.

100% satisfaction guarantee

AUTHOR: Military Achievements - ()

Dear Valued Customer,
 We deeply regret that you have been given this impression of our company.  Family Roots, with Military Achievements, has been serving all branches of the military for over 20 years. We pride ourselves on providing the best quality product and customer service possible.

Family Roots donates to many military organizations and sponsors multiple events and competitions for the  American service members.  I assure you we have no intention nor have we ever intended to "prey' on valuable service members.  It has always been our intention to provide great service and support to the American Military.

The products we offer to newly graduated soldiers are lower in price than any of our products. We do not offer our more expensive products to these soldiers for the reasons you have descried.  We take great care to discourage these young soldiers from making such large purchases so as not to take advantage of them.

If your son spent $1000.00, which I do not believe he did, then he must have purchased every product we offer to basic trainees and would have been discouraged from doing so. We often find that young service members that try to purchase $1000.00 of  product do not complete their orders and leave us with product that has not been paid.

Encouraging solders to shop within their budgets is in our best interest as well as the soldiers.  That being said, these are grown adults that make their own decisions. Though we discourage such large orders we will not prohibit it.

Furthermore, based on the information you have given I believe I am familiar with your son's account. We did in fact  reach a resolution that was satisfactory to both parties. If that is not the case I encourage you to contact me so that we might resolve the issue.  Please call our customer service line , ask for the manager and mention this post and I will be happy to help you.

We at Family Roots stand behind our products, our service and our many contributions to the American Military. We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  We would love the opportunity to change your mind.

Kind Regards,