Complaint Review: Garage Door Service Co.

• Submitted: Sat, March 29, 2014
  • Updated: Sat, March 29, 2014

• Reported By: Beth H — Minnetonka Minnesota
Garage Door Service Co.
100 S 5th St, 19th Floor Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Garage Door Service Co. GDS Repair Cost Pricing Scam Minneapolis Minnesota

My garage door would not open and issue appeared to be a broken spring.  Garage Door Services Co. (GDS) Minneapolis MN had installed an opener and new rollers under two years ago so called their service number found on the sticker left behind by the installer (612-332-1875).

The service person who arrived (Rory) triggered some "caution" flags from the get go.  Very poor personal presentation, grooming, hiding behind dark glasses, hat pulled loow, vehicle was unmarked and clearly a personal truck in poor condition.

Rory confirmed the spring issue and said both would need to be replaced.  Okay.  I asked for a price.  He rattled off some fairly unclear information about "good, better, best" grades of springs.  I said I wanted pricing for entry level springs - not interested in the upcharge model with a "30 year warranty".  He said he would go out to his truck and get pricing together.  He made several trips to get his tools out but did not produce an estimate. I went in the garage to see what was up and saw he had new springs out and was just starting to work.

Again, I asked the price.  I was told $620.00.  Sticker shock!  I asked what the warranty period was on springs at that price and was told 30 years.  When asked if we could get the price down, I was now told "these are the only springs we carry".  He then proceeded to tell me " I want to help you out here, so I have a coupon I can apply and I will take a hundred dollars off one of the springs and knock off the $89 servvice truck charge and try to keep the tax low".  I asked for the new total.  He said it would now be $500.00.  The math did not compute.The whold deal started to "smell".

I told him to hold for 3 min. that I really needed to "gut check" the price.  Google pulled up The Garage Door Guy in Chanhassen MN as the first local and my call to them was promptly answered and with no hesitiation I was given a quote of $199.00 total out the door to replace (2) springs including parts / labor/tax.  Needless to say I told Rory from GDS to pull off.  The pricing was just too far out of line with a competitor.  He said I would still need to pay the $89.00 service charge which did not sit well given I was pretty sure the whole deal was a pricing scam.  I asked him to have his supervisor call me.

Rory called "someone" and wanted to hand h is phone to me.  I insisted the "supervisor" call my phone.  The supervisor identified himself as "Zach, the owner's Son" and said he "really wanted to help me out".  He first offered to do the work for $350.00 and implied the other quote of $199 was a scam.  I thanked him but declined.  He then offered to do the work for $199 but would need to "call his Dad first" and Rory could get it all done in about 30 minutes.  I asked for Zach for his last name and was told he was Zach Blumfeld, the owner's Son again.  None of this sounded legit as I was pretty sure I was talking to a call center agent.  I declined and said I would pay a $50 for the service call that since they could discount the work so deep, they could discount the $89 service charge and we were done.

In checking around, seems this is the strategy of whoever these people are.  Pricing scam.  DO NOT CALL THESE PEOPLE . . .EVER.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/29/2014 11:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Garage-Door-Service-Co/Minneapolis-Minnesota-55402/Garage-Door-Service-Co-GDS-Repair-Cost-Pricing-Scam-Minneapolis-Minnesota-1134677. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Garage Door Service Co.