• Report: #691926

Jackson Hewitt Tax Services
16019 Kedzie Ave. Markham, Illinois United States of America

Jackson Hewitt Tax Services Money Hungry Liars Markham, Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: Information and possible help with your situation

I am furious. I went to Jackson Hewitt to fille my taxes on January 31, 2011 after all the advertisements about getting your refund in 1 day. I was told that I would be eligible for a RAL. Then they said that I was not eligible because the bank turned me down. I did not know that they did a credit check for this and was never told about any credit check being done.  After I was turned down fo the RAL, I was asked if I wanted to pay for my filing and I told her that I did not have the $294.00 cash to pay for upfront fees. Jackson Hewitt had ads in the windows and on tv that stated that the refund costs would be taken out of the returns. After I said that I did not have any money to pay the upfront fees she told me that my check had to go through the bank anyway and that I would have to pick up my check at the office instead of having it mailed to me.. Now the bank is getting paid for getting my check through them anyway. So now I have to pay fees to Jackson Hewitt and Republic Bank. If I was turned down for a RAL by the bank why does my check have to go through the bank?
Jackson Hewitt never gave me a price on how much they charged for preparing my refund and they told me that I would have to amend my taxes after Feb. 15. I asked was there a charge to amend the taxes and she told me that there would be an additional 100 and something dollars.
The ads are deceptive and misleading. They kept all of my W2's after I asked for them back and they told me that I couldn't get them back until the refund came back. They charged me $294.00 for a tax filing that was not even itemized. They and Republic Bank are preying on people that really need their money and it's not fair. They didn't even want to give me the $50.00 credit that they advertised for switching to Jackson Hewitt. I will never file with them again and I wish I could get a refund of some of the fees that I was charged. Something needs to be done about Jackson Hewitt and their deceptiveness.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/07/2011 12:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jackson-Hewitt-Tax-Services/Markham-Illinois-60428/Jackson-Hewitt-Tax-Services-Money-Hungry-Liars-Markham-Illinois-691926. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jackson Hewitt Tax Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Information and possible help with your situation

AUTHOR: nikitausa7 - (United States of America)

First of all, if Jackson Hewitt was advertising $50 off to switch, then they have to honor that.  If they do not, then first report it to Jackson Hewitt Corporate (who is over all the franchisee and company stores).  If you do not get action there, then report them to the state consumer advocate person for false advertisement.

As far as the question about why your refund has to go through the bank.

You said that you had been turned down for the RAL (Refund Anticipation Loan).  This is a loan and the bank has certain criteria that you are required to meet to be able to receive this loan.  If you were turned down for the loan, then the bank should have sent you an Adverse Action letter stating why you were denied the loan.  You would not have had to pay the finance charge and your total fees would have been reduced by this amount.

You stated in your paragraph that when asked to pay the fees up front, you did not have the money to do so.  If you cannot pay the fees up front, then you pay the bank a fee to collect your refund from the IRS, and distribute a check to your tax company for your fees, and then another check to you for the remainder of your refund.  This is considered a bank product and you have to pay for this service also.  The IRS cannot take our fees out of your refund, and then send you the rest.  You have to sign a form permitting the bank to have the refund deposited with them, then they distribute the two checks to you and the tax service company.  This is why your refund had to go through the bank.  Had you paid your fees up front, then you would have received your refund straight from the IRS.

Amendments - anywhere that you go to get a tax form amended will cost you an additional fee.  The preparer has to fill out new forms (both Federal and State) in addition to amending the amounts on the old forms.  Then they have to send the entire packet -- both old and new tax forms by paper in to the IRS and the state.

To the comment:  "They and Republic Bank are preying on people that really need their money."  Every financial institution charges a fee for loans and services (whether it is a bank or a local loan company.)  Companies are required to provide you with a Truth in Lending form to get a loan that must be signed by you (even with a tax refund.)  I know that Jackson Hewitt has all charges listed on the forms that each customer signs.  If you do not want to pay these fees, then don't go through these companies to get your refund.  The same with payday check cashing services or car title loan companies.  I cannot say whether the personnel in the office was honest with you about the RAL (Loan), but if they were not, a call needs to be made to corporate to let them know that this office is misleading their customers.

Foil