• Report: #1319961

• Updated: Mon, August 01, 2016

• Reported By: Anonymous — Springfield Lakes Other Australia
James Street Market
22 James Street Fortitude Valley, Other Australia

James Street Market & Cactus Towing, Calile Malouf Investments Unfairly towed my vehicle despite adhering to signs Fortitude Valley Queensland

I parked in the James Street Market car-park, and noted that I had 2 hours to return to my car (photos attached).

I returned to see my car had been removed (I thought stolen, as I was under their 2hr limit).

After finding a security guard, they suggested it had probably been towed (which was apparently very common).

They gave me a number to call, which I did; and I was informed my car had been towed, and was in a secure facility about 7km away, and I would have to catch a taxi or uber there. This facility is owned by Cactus Towing, which is owned by a man named Daniel Myers.

I did this, and upon arriving, there was no evidence given that I had overstayed the 2hr limit. I provided evidence that I had stayed under 2 hours (1 hour and 49 minutes), yet I was refused my car unless I paid $440 to them. I was forced to pay.

I then called and emailed various parties that represent James Street Market, and I was told that the 2 hours does not apply if you (even momentarily) leave the market, despite being a customer. [continued below]....

..... Let me repeat that - if you step out of the mall, for even 30 seconds, despite being a customer, you can, and will, have your car towed.

This is opportunistic behaviour, and clearly a source of revenue for the market, as I have read that this is a very common occurrence.

No-where near the park I used was there any signs regarding their rules about leaving the premises (of which I was never more than 10 meters from the premises!), only the sign saying I had 2 hours.

This is very common, here is a forum with 15+ pages about them doing this to people:

lawanswers.com.au/threads/car-towed-paid-to-get-it-back.4812/

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2016 11:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/James-Street-Market/Fortitude-Valley-Other-4006/James-Street-Market-Cactus-Towing-Calile-Malouf-Investments-Unfairly-towed-my-vehicle-1319961. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on James Street Market