Complaint Review: Marine engine salvage

• Reported By: Richard — Edmonton Alberta Canada
Marine engine salvage
3832 S. hiway 99 Stockton, California United States of America

Marine engine salvage SOLD A DAMAGED MOTOR ON E-BAY Stockton, California

*Author of original report: Couldn't check motor in winter here.

*Consumer Comment: Why didn't you check out the motor right away?

Was sold a Mercury 50 Hp on ebay for $1500+ in Sept 2009...was told it was in good shape.

When I installed the motor on my boat this spring I found that it was damaged and leaking water into the cylinders, it cost me over $600 for repairs.

Since I was past 45 days to file a report, paypal and e-bay couldn't help me. The company refuses to stand behind their sale or refund me the cost of repairs, stating that they don't warranty their motors. I wasn't asking for a warranty, just wanted a motor that was in good shape like they told me it was. The LEAST they could do is refund the cost of the repairs, but they said no.

I'm just an average guy trying to give my disabled boy a fun time and I feel bad I had to eat over $600. for a motor I was told was in good condition.

Since I don't live in the states there is little I can do besides tell everyone what rip off artists they are.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/05/2010 01:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Marine-engine-salvage/Stockton-California-95215/Marine-engine-salvage-SOLD-A-DAMAGED-MOTOR-ON-E-BAY-Stockton-California-610702. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Marine engine salvage

Couldn't check motor in winter here.

AUTHOR: jimepage - (Canada)

It's a fair question, why didn't I check out the motor right away.

Unfortunately, I got it too late in the season here in Alberta. It gets to -35 celsius here and I couldn't install the motor, much less test it over the winter. I'm sure that's not a problem in sunny california, but it's a big one here up north.

I installed it and tested it as soon as I could, once the weather was warm enough.

Why didn't you check out the motor right away?

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

Not trying to defend this place if they sold you a bad motor claiming it was good. But I can assume this is a used engine. Even if it had a warranty, it probably would not have been for more then a few months. Since you had this engine for 9 months, there is no way they could tell if you had been using it for that long.

Like I stated, this does not mean you were not ripped off, you very well might have been, but a lesson for all is to have engines checked right away if you buy it on-line so the warranty or buyer protection does not expire and then you find out it's too late. Even though this engine had no warranty, it is true that you would have been able to dispute it within 45 days (even longer if you used a credit card through your paypal) and possibly receive a refund, since if it was sold as "good" but was not good, you would of had some recourse under "condition not as described".

Best of luck, hope it is running well now at least.