Complaint Review: Mario

• Updated: Sat, July 09, 2011

• Reported By: Mario — Colton California United States of America
Mario
Colton, California United States of America

Mario I should not have payed California DMV penalties after I purchased a vehicle unaware of the fees and penalties. Colton, California

*UPDATE Employee: refund of penalties and fees

I Purchased a car on 12/28. Went home, and discovered penalties were due of $400 when I looking it up on the DMV calculator, after previous owner stated car was No-Op.
I Went to DMV on 12/29, and was told I could get previous owner to fill out a Statement of Fact that vehicle was not driven in past two years and my fee would be waiver.
I attempted to contact the previous owner but he just ignored all my contacts and messages.
I returned to a different DMV on 12/30, another clerk told me that previous owner should have paid the fees on time, and that a Statement of Fact is useless, and if I want to register car I must pay the penalties.

After leaving the DMV I went online and discovered that under VC9562 I am not required to pay the penalties and fees because I was unaware at time of purchase.

I returned on 12/31 to the original DMV to tell them I was unable to contact previous owner. A new clerk told me that the previous clerk on 12/29 was wrong, and that all new owners are required to pay penalties and fees. This clerk had also discussed it with her manager. I was also told that each DMV has different guidelines to follow.

I was basically told that VC 9262 does take president over each DMVs guidelines, and I was SOL. I ended up paying the fees and penalties.

It seems to me that people just pay the fees without actually looking into the law in this circumstance, and most DMV clerks and managers don't completely understand most laws so they get away with it.

Is there anyone I can speak to, since I called the 1-800 # and they basically told me to go to the first DMV and ask them for more assistance. They also said that each DMV has different procedures.

The thing that bothered me the most was that both DMV office managers had no intention to review VC9562, and would rather just collect the money due. If I had been told my story did not seem valid, at least I could have understood then that it was up to the DMV office to choose, but they acted as if there was no other option that to pay the fees due.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/31/2010 08:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mario/Colton-California-92324/Mario-I-should-not-have-payed-California-DMV-penalties-after-I-purchased-a-vehicle-unawar-677373. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mario

refund of penalties and fees

AUTHOR: 1HotMVFR - (USA)

Go to DMV and request a 311 (refund form) Fill it out, state your case just like you did in this forum and request a refund.  Mail it to the address on the refund form and follow up with a second letter if you don't receive it within 8 weeks.