Complaint Review: NR Associates

• Updated: Tue, April 16, 2013

• Reported By: David — West Berlin New Jersey
NR Associates
Newark, New Jersey United States of America

NR Associates Mr White NR Associates attempted to "collect" debts I do not owe Newark, New Jersey

*Author of original report: Don't Believe it for a Minute!!!

*UPDATE Employee: Inaccurate Information

NR ASSOCIATES - SCAM "COLLECTION AGENCY"

APRIL 16, 2013 - Someone called me from phone number (973) 943-4020 Claiming to be from "NR Associates". The person who initially called knew the last 4 digits of my SSN, but gave an address I haven't lived at since 1981. He said that the call was an attempt to collect a debt, and that the IRS required them to attempt to collect a debt before they filed a form 1099(c) "Collection of Debt Cancellation". I told him that I didn't have any outstanding credit cards, or any outstanding debts, and he hung up.

I called them back and recorded the conversation. I spoke to a female operator who said her name was Cassie. When I asked her "What does NRA stand for; what is the name of your company?", she replied "NR Associates". I asked her what her company did, and she replied "We are a business.... We do several things". After my attempt to verify that this was a legitimate company, she also hung up.

I called back again (with the recorder still running) and attempted to verify what company or entity I was dealing with. This person also couldn't answer my question, and then she handed the phone over to someone who identified himself as "Mr. White". He said the debt was with US Bank Visa Card. I have never had any dealings with US Bank, and the amount owed was $11,796.33 and they would settle for $7,077.79 or put me on "a payment plan". Later on in the conversation, he said the debt was owed to Bank of America (whom I haven't had any dealings with since Vietnam in 1971), I told him I don't owe Bank of America or anybody else anything, and the person he was looking to collect from is a name-double who lived in Connecticut, but died 11/27/2009 (see above).

"Mr. White" could not verify to me that he was a legitimate businessman, and a Google search on "NR Associates" brought up a page on www.RipoffReport.com that stated that NR Associates was a scam.

I did a reverse-phone lookup on NR Associate's phone number (973) 943-4020 and WhitePages.com comes up as VOIP (Internet phone - Voice Over Internet Protocol) out of Newark, NJ. I requested information about who owns the phone number. I printed the Web page for police.

At 3:50PM, April 16, 2013 I called NR Associates (973) 943-4020 from my Magic Jack (VOIP) phone  (a number which wouldn't flag me on their caller ID). I asked the person who answered - who sounded like "Mr. White" - the address of his company so I could send them some paperwork. He replied that he could not provide the address because it was "a safety issue"

I called US Bank (877) 595-6256 at approximately 2:48PM, recorded the phone conversation, and spoke to Dianna. I explained the problem to her, and she transferred me to Veronica in the "Recovery Department (866) 434-2103. I gave Veronica my SSN and she verified that I do NOT have, nor have ever had an account with US Bank, and that there is no debt that I owe them.

I called Bank of America (800) 432-1000 - the number they have listed to report suspicious activity not associated with online banking, at approximately 4:15PM, while recording the call. I spoke with Daniel, who referred me to their Privacy Response Unit (800) 252-2867 and spoke with Phillip. After explaining the situation to him, he referred me to the Credit Card Division (888) 991-8478. They were able to pull up an old (1997) joint business credit card I shared with a friend, which has long been closed. It was verified that there is no balance owed on any of the accounts.

Obviously this is a SCAM. These people are using OLD DATABASES with very old information; the first clue was the address that they had for me was 111 Street (Queens NY), which I haven't lived there since 1981. The other obvious "red flags" were the fact that they could not give the name of the company, and their address was "a safety issue". The fact that I owe US Bank or Bank of America NOTHING, was verified by recorded phone conversations with the appropriate departments of those banks.

REPORTED THIS MATTER TO WATERFORD POLICE

Waterford, NJ  TWP Police called arrived at 5:35PM April 16, 2013. Gave report to responding police officer.

AFTER WATERFORD PD LEFT
4/6/2013  5:55 PM - Called NR Associates at (973) 943-4020 with my cell phone. Ashley answered. I asked for Mr. White, she said he was gone for the day. I asked her which banks I owe money to. She asked if I was David, and I replied in the affirmative. She said Your account has already been closed. I called her a scam artist, and told her to lose my f*cking number. I added their number to my cell phone call blocker.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/16/2013 04:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NR-Associates/Newark-New-Jersey-/NR-Associates-Mr-White-NR-Associates-attempted-to-collect-debts-I-do-not-owe-Newark-Ne-1043786. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NR Associates

Don't Believe it for a Minute!!!

AUTHOR: David - ()

Reading the rebuttal to my original complaint, my response in a nutshell is --- HORSE HOCKEY --- The rebuttal does not even ATTEMPT ro address the issues I raised - It is a GENERALITY that is designed to provide the reader with the apparency of legitimacy. They never answered the question or the allegation about how they came upon the information that I owed TWO BANKS I NEVER DID BUSINESS WITH a total of $11,796.33 Well, it took long enough for them to file a rebuttal to my complaint, but they did NOT address any of the issues I raised, or explained how they had information on me to collect debts from two banks that NEVER HEARD OF ME. Their rebuttal to my original complaint DOES NOT solve the problem; there NEVER WAS a problem. NR Associates simply created it out of thin air, hoping to cash in. Scammers do this all the time - just think of all the eMails you get from Nigeria or Benin, claiming you are a BENEFICIARY of someone you never heard of, or won a "lottery" you never bought a ticket for. These scams WORK because 0.05% of people fall for them, and that is most likely the case with these people. THEY TRIED TO SCAM THE WRONG MAN. First of all, these THIEVES attempted to "collect" TWO debts that I NEVER actually owed. When I checked with the creditors NR Associates said I owed money to, they never heard of me - and so it was NOT a mix-up, or an issue of identity theft - - - The issue was an entity masquerading as a legitimate business, harvesting OLD records, hoping to scare people into paying back debts they never had (or made to believe they forgot about), for fear of being reported to the Feds.... and / or to the credit agencies. The FACT is that NR Associates never made an attempt to verify the information they claimed they had was legitimate; i.e. that I actually owed the money they claimed I owed. However, it is more than likely that they got my SSN from some old, discarded (not discarded by me) documents somewhere, then picked a few banks, hoping that I would "remember" doing business with them "a long time ago", and scare me into "settling". Any LEGITIMATE company has an address. They said "We do not believe in providing our physical address to ensure the safety of our staff". I can see why. When people discover they were SCAMMED, they might show up to their door demanding their money back.... or they might send the FEDS. Companies using VOIP services can be legitimate - but they can always pull up stakes and move anywhere in the WORLD (with a Magic Jack or Ooma device), and be slippery than snot on a glass door knob to catch. In conclusion, my original report stands UNCONTESTED. I record my phone conversations as well, and if another rebuttal is made to this complaint without a FULL EXPLANATION of how NR Associates got the information they used to try to scam me, I will post the audio files of our conversations (redacting my personal information) on YouTube, Facebook, and on my Web Site at AssholesAmongUs - dot - com under "Phishers of Men". NR Associates - call my bluff and see if it doesn't happen. Waste any more of my time with this nonsense, and I will make it a MISSION to put you all behind bars for the rest of your natural lives. That's my WORD!

Inaccurate Information

AUTHOR: Manager @ NRA - ()

All the calls are recorded are monitored. We have an employee that maintains and monitors all of our FDCPA policies and procedures to ensure that we as a staff follow them to the letter of the law. Our staff is not allowed to insult, use profanity, bully, harass, threaten or abuse any consumers. Our office is a voluntary company, no one is required to pay us, nor do we believe in harassing people to resolve their debts. We offer a resolution, a settlement plan, and a payment plan for the consumers who are interested in clearing up their old debts / collections.

We provide all of our arrangements in writing to ensure we uphold our agreement. We do not believe in providing our physical address to ensure the safety of our staff. We do however, offer several different options for communication with us corresponding to our PO BOX address, email, telephone, or fax. We in no way are attempting to hide or deceive consumers. We are a registered, licensed, and legitimate company trying to offer consumers a voluntary option to resolve their personal debts.