Complaint Review: NUVOH2O

• Submitted: Tue, November 29, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, October 02, 2012

• Reported By: TOAD — ENTERPRISE Oregon United States of America
NUVOH2O

NUVOH2O TOTALY MISSREPRESINTING THIER PRODUCT ON T.V. & INTERNET BOLD FACE LIES I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! INTERNET

*Consumer Comment: Waiting!

*Consumer Comment: Tests Results

*Consumer Suggestion: 3rd Party Testing

*General Comment: Working with well or very hard Water

*Consumer Comment: Basic science negates the claims made for this product

*Consumer Comment: Nuvoh2o Lies and Misrepresents Facts

*General Comment: you should try it before you complain about it

*General Comment: Six months have passed

*Consumer Comment: I own a Nuvo sytem

*Consumer Comment: Citric acid for cleaning/water softening.

*General Comment: Facts against NuvoH2O?

*General Comment: Nuvo

*UPDATE Employee: nuvoH2O - The True Facts

*UPDATE Employee: nuvoH2O - The True Facts

*UPDATE Employee: nuvoH2O - A Great New Product in Today's Market

I have been in the water treatment installation service and repair industry for 37 years. I have seen allot of snake oil come and go but this one really takes the cake.I can't believe that they let people put this kind of crap on the T.V. & internet without checking them out first.

If you go to their web site and click on the video about their product within the first minute the totally lie about what their product does and slamming other time tested products that actually do something good for the consumer. It would only take me a few tests and some basic sience to totally blow these people out of the water!!!!!!!!!

I f their is a lawyer out their who wants to make a name for himself this is an easy one. Their is allot of companies out there who would back you up 100% water treatment is a increasingly important industry and people like this give the real people a bad name. Why don't they go back to selling vacuum cleaners door to door!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2011 07:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NUVOH2O/internet/NUVOH2O-TOTALY-MISSREPRESINTING-THIER-PRODUCT-ON-TV-INTERNET-BOLD-FACE-LIES-I-CANT-BE-802696. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NUVOH2O

Waiting!

AUTHOR: jondoe - ()

You still haven/t answer the qusetion on the 3rd party testing...Where are the test results?

Tests Results

AUTHOR: jondoe - ()

To #13's Post:  Update EmployeenuvoH2O A- Great New Product in Today's Market.

Waiting for the results in your third party testing!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

3rd Party Testing

AUTHOR: Kevin Franz - ()

The director of product development states that they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (I highly doubt) on 3rd party testing that prove their claims.  Interesting... for if I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on 3rd party testing and they confirmed my company's claims I WOULD BE SHOWING THE RESULTS and the 3rd party study!  Why not show the FULL 3rd party reports on your website instead of select constumer comments?  Why not provide a link on blogs like this to the study instead of generic web links that just mention that the technology you are using is one form of softening water?  I and everyone reading this knows why you don't show the FULL report... if it even exists.

#4 General Comment

Working with well or very hard Water

AUTHOR: tmgdfsm - ()

I do water softening in Northern Arizona, with water that ranges from 25 to 75 gpg. In my work experience I've noticed that the Nuvo system is great for taking the edge off in the 20 to 30 gpg area. However I've found that only soduim exchange works for the higher numbers.

In testing I've come across that by using a descaler and a 5 micron inline filter, like the nuvoh20, you'll have great water even from a well. However the descaler costs $2000 plus.

Anyone wanting to try the Nuvo system I would suggest getting your water tested first.

Lastly I have questions for any Nuvo employees.

First off I'm curious what the difference between the Nuvo head is and a regular inline filter head. Besides the $700.

Secondly I'm curious if filter changes vary depending on GPG. From my experience I've known customers who've had to change their filter as soon as 3 months after install.

Any responses I'd greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Basic science negates the claims made for this product

AUTHOR: karlschneider - ()

It isn't necessary to "own" a perpetual motion machine (which is of course impossible) to evaluate claims that clearly violate the laws of chemistry and physics which might be made by someone selling products that appear to do precisely that.

Nuvoh2o Lies and Misrepresents Facts

AUTHOR: Benjamin P - ()

The Nuvoh20 advertising on TV states "MAINTENANCE FREE".  This is a complete and BOLD FACE LIE.  After you spend a rediculous price for the system you will need to replace cartridges on a regular basis.  That is MAINTENANCE....like getting your oil changed in your car, it's "maintenance."

Buyer beware, you can purchase a water softening system from Home Depot today for less than $400 and the cost of operation is pennies a month....way cheaper than the Nuvoh2o system, both from a purchase standpoint as well as ongoing operation.

#7 General Comment

you should try it before you complain about it

AUTHOR: magnusfl - ()

I had the Nuvo installed with a pellican carbon filter and love it as it working as good as my old salt system with out all the headakes of salt so in my view better

#8 General Comment

Six months have passed

AUTHOR: Roger - ()

The gentleman that stated an independent review would be completed in 6 months (which has passed), would you comment or show the results of the tests? Also, what company did the testing?

I own a Nuvo sytem

AUTHOR: Marty - (U.S.A.)

After a year and a half of owning the Nuvo system (whole house version), I offer some comments about this product.

In August of 2011, my house remodeling was completed, including all new flexible plastic plumbing. I also opted for a Norit tankless water heater. As my well water is high in calcium and magnesium and slightly alkaline, I knew that I would have to provide some form of treatment for my well water as it had historically caused major scaling in my old water heater, dishwasher, and fixtures (sinks, faucets, etc.).

Unfortunately, the plumber associated with my builder forgot about testing for hardness, but recommended the installation of the Nuvo system based on similar projects in my immediate area. This became an issue after about a month of living in the new home, using the Nuvo system. At that time, I began seeing increased scaling on my new fixtures and even some plugging of shower head water holes. At the same time, I smelled a sulphur-like smell in the water, especially in hot water. This was new to me. I hadn't had this problem before the rebuild.

I did a little research and decided that the smell was likely caused by iron bacteria. This was backed up by seeing a dark, slimy coating that started to appear on the particulate filter just ahead of the Nuvo system, as well as on the Nuvo cartridge itself. After contacting the well drilling company, I was prompted to shock my well system by adding and recirculating about 2 gallons of chlorine to my well.

The treatment worked, but with it came a large amount of sluff from the bio slime that was killed. I had to clean out (flush) my lines repeatedly to remove the bio slime. I replaced the prefilter and the Nuvo cartridge since I believed that the bio slime was also blinding the cartridge and would prevent the filtered water from contacting the solid citric acid reagent in the cartridge, and that would prevent the citric acid from being dissolved in the water.

I still noticed, even after the clean out, that I had a return of scaling, and ultimately a return of the sulphur smell. Rather than repeating the whole house shocking again via chlorinating the well, I decided that I may have a localized bothria problem, probably residing in the well pressure tank (iron bacteria is notorious for being hard to kill because of the bio-slime, a waste product of the bacteria, prevents chlorine from reaching the actual bacteria and killing it). So I opted to replace the pre-filter and Nuvo cartridge again and see if just operating the system would flush the rest of the bacteria out over time.

I now seem to have control over the bacteria. However, I was not completely convinced that the descaling was working too well since I still had some powdery scale build up on the exterior of fixtures, in the sinks where water would evaporate, etc. On advice from Nuvo, I replaced the standard cartridge with a high capacity cartridge that would increase the amount of citrus acid dissolved in the water. I soaked my shower head in vinegar to unplug the water holes, and put everything back into service. That was about two months ago.

So here is what I now know and what I think about the system.

The inside of my flexible, new plastic piping looks completely clean. Also, the piping connecting to my shower head is very clean, which is the best indication that I am not having scaling in my Noritz tankless water heater (thank goodness).

That being said, I do find that wherever water is allowed to evaporate - like when I finish squeegeeing my shower and some water remains, some powdery scale is left behind. This makes sense to me since chelation only maintains solubility - once the water evaporates, the dissolved solids would be left behind. It's not much but it does require cleaning, although less than without the Nuvo system.

I believe the iron bacteria was an artifact of having my water well and pressure tank turned off and stagnating for the time it took to rebuild my house. Once the iron bacteria was gone, the Nuvo system works, with the limitation of leaving a small amount of powdery residue wherever water is left to evaporate. Even in those areas, like the bottom of my dishwasher, the scale is really just a power and not the hard, almost rock-like crust that used to develop before I had this system.

I also believe that the filter cartridges must be replaced more frequently than the 50,000 gallons advertised because there always be some level of blinding that the cartridge will undergo after a long time on-line (the last little bit of the cartridge will become essentially unusable).

Finally, I believe the system does work, just not perfectly. It is cheaper than adding salt to a conditioner even considering a four month replacement time frame (as opposed to about six months given the 50,000 gallons of use as advertised) for the cartridge. And the water taste is excellent with no trace of citrate or anything else - just my good well water.

Citric acid for cleaning/water softening.

AUTHOR: Solitaire - (USA)

Let me preface this by stating that I currently do not own a NUVO water softener/treatment system, however I do plan on purchasing 1. There's an old home cleaning suggestion regarding the use of 1 scoop of Tang (regular, not diet) for cleaning your dishwasher of hard water spots along with your glasses and dishes. The main ingredient of Tang is citric acid. I have been doing this for over 30 years with outstanding results, so if using citric acid is a scam for neutralizing alkalinity I would like them to prove to me why it hasn't been working all these years and it's a figment of my imagination. Most anybody with a fifth grade education or higher knows that if you add acid to an alkali they will bind with each other and neutralize. Calcium & lime are both alkaline and are the main ingredients of hard water.

#11 General Comment

Facts against NuvoH2O?

AUTHOR: Joel1962 - (United States of America)

I am not , nor have ever been an employee of  NuvoH2O, or any affiliated business.

I do not own or have ever owned a Nuvo system.

I have (no longer) worked for a large big box home improvement company for over 15 years and have used many different cleaners that have claimed to treat hard water stains.

My experience:  I have found the most efficient way to clean hard water surface stains is not found on any cleaning aisle, or even a janitorial supply store, but at your local grocery store. Go down the aisle where the kids powdered drink mixes are found. What you want to look for is the UNSWEETENED lemonade packets. It can be a name brand or house label. Do NOT use the pre-sweetened  or diet style lemonade powders (these all have unnecessary sweeteners in them and cost significantly more). If you are looking at the right stuff you should be seeing it for about ten cents a packet.

If you look at the list of ingredients you will see the first one is citric acid (additionally are small amounts of flavoring and food coloring). To use as a cleaner on any hard surface; simply wet the powder with a small amount of water to make a paste or runny gruel and rub over the stained surface. Let it set for a short period and rinse off. You will be surprised with the results.

Unlike hydrochloric, sulfuric, and or phosphoric based cleaners this is a food grade product safe around children and pets.

You can also dilute it in water and soak shower heads, coffee pots, toilet bowls and tanks, or even cycle through your washing machine (dont do this with clothes. Remember it does have food coloring). For larger volumes you may want to add an additional packet or two. It also seems to work more quickly with warmer water temps except when using as a paste/gruel).

I share this because I want the readers of this thread to understand why I question the original protest. What specifically is false and/or misleading? What specifically is a boldfaced lie?  I also failed to find one single instance of  anywhere on Nuvos website slamming other time tested products. All I read here is a completely unsubstantiated accusation.

I mention the household solution of the lemonade powder in rebuttal to mattmanagers (#4)  experience and opinion that citric based cleaners will not work. I disagree.

Note: I believe the difference between the lemonade powder and other home solutions such as vinegar and bottled lemon juice is the fact that liquids are pre-diluted to a 5% acidity level. Using it straight you can not increase this level. Whereas the powder you are in control by how much water you add.

Bottom line: I have been using this cleaning method for over ten years and have always wanted a means to do something similar to the interior of my water heater and pipes. The Nuvo system seems like it might do just that. What I want is anyone to show me (with facts) why this doesnt/wont work.

Joel

#12 General Comment

Nuvo

AUTHOR: mattmanager - (United States of America)

You made the comment that it's a scam. I can see your point. I have been in the janitorial chemical business for nearly 30 years. Understanding the PH scale, 7 being neutral getting truely hard water that is going to be an alkiline upwards of 10 or more citric acid is too weak to bring that number down to a 7 or below. We have experimented with citrus cleaners and they do not have the chemical strength required to cut anything that is truely a hard water stain etc. I was in charge of all the janitorial at a large phamacuetical manufacturer. The ones that made the little blue pill. And the only attraction to citrus cleaners was that it was a green product. Green means don't do a thing!

nuvoH2O - The True Facts

AUTHOR: Jayson - nuvoH2O - (United States of America)

Im the Director of Business Development at nuvoH2O.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions about our nuvoH2O system and how it works.

The gentlemen claiming he understands how our systems work is obviously associated with salt-based water softeners or in other words ion-exchange systems.  He states that we are misrepresenting our product on TV & Internet but he doesnt go into detail how?  He also states that he can use basic science to prove our system doesnt work.  We would welcome any type of science based testing of our systems and how they work.  We do agree that the water softening and water conditioning business is filled with snake oil salesmen.  So many companies that claim they can effect hard water issues but fail to deliver any facts or test results.

grade scientific principles of pH levels and Chelation.

It sure is easy to jump on a website like this and slander any company you would like without any ramifications.  This gentleman is just stating unproven and misleading facts in the hope of making us look bad. He has no proof or figures to back up his claims.

You see the Chelation process doesn't focus on removing the minerals. With our system the minerals remain in the water but they can't bond or stick. This way you receive the effects of a softener without having to use the ion-exchange process.  Our cartridge housings are NSF certified and all our scale control cartridges are NSF certified for general purpose scale control. We meet the NSF standard 42 & 169 for general scale control.

I found the following information on Wikipedia under Water Softening. It states in Chelation that Chelators are used in chemical analysis, as water softeners, and are ingredients in many commercial products such as shampoos and food preservatives. Citric acid is used to soften water in soaps and laundry detergents.

The information above supports our Chelation process and how citric acid is used to soften water in water softeners, soaps and laundry detergents.

Additional information on Water Softening and Chelants was also found on Wikipedia under Chelation.

What we offer with our systems is a natural solution to hard water. 85% of the country has hard water issues. That 15% without the hard water problems are cities such as Seattle, WA or Bangor, ME. The reason they dont have the hard water issues isnt because their ground water doesnt contain minerals like calcium and magnesium. Its because their water has a naturally low and balanced pH level.  Our Chelation process naturally lowers the pH level of the water creating an environment where minerals cant bond or stick.  This is why we advertise ourselves as a better water to soften water. Our Chelation process allows our systems to control scale and reduce the effects of hard water just as well as ion exchange / salt-based water softener.

We understand that salt-based water softening companies and their clients will continue to challenge our company and what we do.  We will do all we can to answer any questions anyone has about our process.  I hope we have shown that we are not trying to trick or deceive anyone. This Chelation process has been used for nearly 30 years in the commercial market to control scale and condition water for restaurants, hotels and healthcare facilities throughout the country. We offer a 90 day money back guarantee and a limited life time warranty on all of our systems.

If anyone has comments or questions that would like to discuss please contact us directly.

888-367-9542

Sincerely,

nuvoH2O Director of Business Development

nuvoH2O - The True Facts

AUTHOR: Jayson - nuvoH2O - (United States of America)

Im the Director of Business Development at nuvoH2O.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions about our nuvoH2O system and how it works.

Weve actually conducted our own independent testing proving that our systems lower the pH level and grains hardness.  Weve also paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to 3rd party independent groups to test and measure how our systems work. Our system is actually based on basic 5th grade scientific principles of pH levels and Chelation.

It sure is easy to jump on a website like this and slander any company you would like without any ramifications.  This gentleman is just stating unproven and misleading facts in the hope of making us look bad. He has no proof or figures to back up his claims.

Traditional water softening systems are completely focused on removing the minerals from the water. For years this has been the traditional way to treat hard water issues used by salt-based water softening companies.  These types of systems are actually being banned in counties and cities in California.  Unlike the gentleman who fails to state any facts to back up his claims Ive attached articles below with more details on the ban of salt-based water softeners in California.

Our situation is different than typical water softening and water conditioning systems.  Our systems in fact does use a basic scientific principle in which organic compound, chelant, binds with the minerals in the water to make them soluble and wash away freely from your body, hair, dishes, kitchen and bath surfaces, and plumbing. Many shampoos and other detergents commonly use the same type of process to overcome hard water in your wash and bath. We use an FDA approved, food-grade chelant that conditions all the water in your home. Its healthy for you, your plants and the environment. This process focuses on balancing the pH level of the water to a neutral point.  When the pH level of the water is balanced the environment created doesnt allow minerals to stick and bond to appliances, pipes or skin.  The best part of our process is we can test and measure the results.

888-367-9542

info@nuvoh2o.com

Sincerely,

nuvoH2O Director of Business Development

nuvoH2O - A Great New Product in Today's Market

AUTHOR: CJ - (United States of America)

It is amazing to me how this person took the time out of his busy day to file a report about a product he doesn't own, doesn't use, and certainly knows nothing about. I have worked for nuvoH2O from the beginning and I have seen the hard work, honesty, and concern put into this company. I also know, for a fact, that nuvoH2O has used an outside company to test its product and confirm that it works. We have also performed multiple internal testing on all of our products. We have over 30 years proven success in companies like Disneyland, Marriott Hotels, Subway, etc. on our commercial side. We have simply made the same product that we use commercially in these establishments available to everyday homeowners. But, because of people like this, who have nothing better to do than slam honest companies, we are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to have an outside, reputable company, put their stamp of approval on our product. This outside stamp of approval will be completed within the next 6 months. Yes, I am an employee of nuvoH2O and I can say that I actually own this product, use this product, and love this product. No more salt!!! No more damage to our environment!! (By the way, do you really trust someone who can't even spell?)