Complaint Review: Netgear Tech Support

• Updated: Sun, March 03, 2013

• Reported By: kw — Utah United States of America
Netgear Tech Support

Netgear Tech Support Wanted me to pay $120 for tech support Internet

*Consumer Comment: Ripoff - Non existing technical support.

*Consumer Comment: You are incorrect

I bought a netgear router and needed tech support to set it up.  I googled netgear tech support, found a contact number (866-486-3191), and called.  I needed to know how to open ports to connect hardware.  The customer service rep said they could do this for me for $120, said it was very technical and could not be done by consumer.  Unbelievable!

Ultimately, I was able to install myself but was almost scammed.  Beware!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/03/2013 09:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Netgear-Tech-Support/internet/Netgear-Tech-Support-Wanted-me-to-pay-120-for-tech-support-Internet-1022826. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Netgear Tech Support

Ripoff - Non existing technical support.

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

I have purchased their NAS.

I can't delete files so I called the technical customer support.

I was transfered 1st time as I was told that I did not call the right support department. Interestingly I have dialed netgear published support phone number:

Home products: 1-888-NETGEAR (1-888-638-4327)

I was told that I should have called 877 653 2659 instead. When I google that number nothings shows up.

After determining that he cannot help me he interviewed me asking who my ISP is and OS I use. That is on top of my name, addr, email, and phone which they already had. Is netgear selling this information?

The new guy I was transferred had a heavy accent, noisy phone line, and was hard to understand. He explained to me that the 1st guy was unable to help me and that is why the call was transferred to him. He was just dragging the call with statements like that. I was close to 60 minutes on the phone.

The next thing he started explaining that they need access to my computer. That they will help me with any technical issue for any product regardless who made it for the duration of one year. The catch was that they wanted me to pay for it!

I told him that I am trying to use my 90 days support to resolve basic NAS issue. He said that this is out of the scope and that he cannot help me.

I said that I am going to pack this thing and ship it back to the retailer if that is the case. He said that he will transfer me one more time. I was on hold and then there was a recording that the call was answered by Audix. I left my phone number and hanged up. I never received a call back.

I have also posted the question on the readynas forum but no bite yet.

The SW and HW PDFs do not discuss anything beyond obvious.

This is a shady tactic netgear is using.

You are incorrect

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

You called HelpDeskWiz not Netgear. Netgear offers free support for the first 90-days after purchase by calling (888) 638-4327.