Complaint Review: Pamela Docken

• Submitted: Fri, November 23, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, November 23, 2012

• Reported By: Amy — Mpls Minnesota Virgin Islands (US)
Pamela Docken
2334 11th Ave E, Apt 10 St Paul, White Bear Lake, Minnesota United States of America

Pamela Docken Funside Theater Scammer - does not pay her employees St Paul, White Bear Lake, Minnesota

*Author of original report: Pamela Dokken steals from employees and misrepresents herself.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Really?

*Author of original report: Pamela Docken is a dishonest scam artist

*UPDATE Employee: Contract was breached. Contractor was let go.

I was hired by her to work on one of her Christmas plays.  She guaranteed me a fixed amount of money to direct her play, and 2 weeks before opening she fired me and refused to pay me ANY amount - even though I had worked with the cast for 2 months with the promise of pay. She is a dishonest, scam artist and not to be trusted - if you work for demand payment up front and get EVERYTHING in writing.  I did not do this.  I trusted her.  She has a terrible reputation amongst the theater and acting community - I just missed getting the full report on her.

Better yet - just avoid Pamela Docken and save yourself the trouble.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/23/2012 06:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pamela-Docken/St-Paul-White-Bear-Lake-Minnesota-55109/Pamela-Docken-Funside-Theater-Scammer-does-not-pay-her-employees-St-Paul-White-Bear-Lak-972935. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pamela Docken

Pamela Dokken steals from employees and misrepresents herself.

AUTHOR: Amy - ()

It is sad when artists are taken advantage of by scammers like Pam. Her reputation as a disreputable person is widespread and well-know. She talks about contracts that don't exist, invents drama and flat out takes advantag of people. I trusted her to pay what she verbally agreed to.

There was no contract, let alone any that stated that if after 3/4 of the job was done, if she wasn't happy she could stiff me for  the entire sum.  She owes me pay for the time I spent doing work for her. I would never, nor would anyone with a brain, agree to voluntarily surrender all payment if she decides to be arbitrarily unhappy.

The message which is plain despite her rebuttals - which are obviously posted by her posing as a made up person posting on her behalf - is that you should not work for this woman.

And if you choose to take the chance, get your money UP FRONT. Otherwise she will continue to survive off the scraps she steals from people who are trusting.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Really?

AUTHOR: Ron - ()

I know who was in the performance the other person was talking  about and everyone got paid - except for one who did a horrible job and had to be let go.  I know that person didn't get paid.  It stated clearly in her contract and when we went to watch what was to be one of the final rehearsals we were appauled at how bad everything was going.  People with egos say stupid things.

Pamela Docken is a dishonest scam artist

AUTHOR: Amy - ()

Pamela Docken Hired me to direct her play.

Lie #1
 She auditioned all the cast members before I got there, so there was no auditioning to do. I directed rehearsals 3 X a week for over two months with that cast, without a video, only a script and recordings of the songs to be performed.

Lie # 2
I contacted and arranged for a piano player to perform in the play. Have corresponding emails to prove.

Lie # 3
Other performers all contacted me after the show. I never asked them to not perform. Some of them stated that they didn't want to perform, but that they would see it through, but never work for her again.  They felt the firing was unwarranted and unfair. I was informed by one cast member in particular that this was how she operates and that she owes many thousands of dollars to former employees, friends, and other acquaintances.  Cast members continue to be in touch with me, and we hope to work together again.

Lie # 4 - Misrepresentation

Pamela Dokken knew I was a first -time director, which is why she gave me her copy of "How to direct a school play". Although I have directed over 700 live musical productions, I had never directed a scripted play. The cast and I worked very well together, and I brought a lot of creativity to the play, which is evidenced by the emails I received from every single cast-member.

Pamela never came to any rehearsals prior to 2 weeks before opening. Not one. She said she was coming on numerous occasions, but never showed up.

Pamela stated that she would give me a video of the show on many occasions, but never did.  When I asked her again on the ONE time she came to rehearsal, she became angry that I asked again.

I have been told by former acquaintances of Pamela Dokken, that she invents problems so that she does not have to pay people. This is what she has done here.

I only want to warn other people not to do business with her. There are other places to gain experience. She will not pay you, she will make up lies, and then threaten legal action. Pamela is familiar with being in court - she has scammed many, many people, and she is comfortable throwing that threat around.

Contract was breached. Contractor was let go.

AUTHOR: Jean - ()

In 2010 Amy Buchanan was contracted to direct a production on behalf of Funside Theatre.  Ms. Buchanan refused to audition the cast, work with potential musicians, and was angry she wasn't provided a video of show in its entirety so she would know how to direct the show.  Basically Ms. Buchanan misrepresented herself by addressing herself as a theater director.  After receiving complaints about her inability to direct, Pamela went to a rehearsal and found it to be disastrous.  Ms Buchanan was released from her contract for failure to fulfill duties as a director.  Ms Buchanan was never an employee of Ms. Docken.

Once released from her contract Ms Buchanan decided to retaliate and contacted each cast member and musicians to stop working on the production because she was let go.  There are records of this, via emails sent by Ms Buchanan to cast/crew, as well as statements from the show's cast/musicians.

Because Ms. Buchanan is  a disgruntled person who continues to attempt to defame Pamela's character, Pamela would welcome an attorney to file a complaint in district court' in order to summon Ms Buchanan to court and to be charged for damages she has made in her desire to publicly slander Ms. Docken.  As the Department of Labor told her - Amy Buchanan never was an employee of Pamela Docken,  Ms. Buchanan was contracted to perform a service in which she was clearly not capable to do.  Each dirogitory comment Ms Buchanan chooses to post, or email, as well as all emails between Ms. Docken and Ms. Buchanan, along with the signed contract will be presented to the courts.  Ms Buchanan would serve herself best by realizing she was not able to do the service she was contracted to do and focus on what ever it is she is capable of doing, to forward her desire to be a legitimate director in live, scripted plays.