Complaint Review: Redbox

www.redbox.com Saint Louis, Missouri United States of America

Redbox Redbox claim video game not returned Saint Louis, Missouri

*Consumer Comment: Same store redbox, similar isue

*Author of original report: Update to Redbox charge

The week of Thanksgiving - I rented Assassin's Creed III on Wednesday, November 21st from a Schnucks supermarket, located at Loughborough shopping center in St. Louis.

I held onto the game until Friday, November 23rd - day after Thanksgiving.  Returning it at another Schnucks (577 Mid Rivers Mall Drive) in St. Peters, MO 63376 - as this is where I spent my Thanksgiving holiday.

30 days later (as in today, 12/22/2012) - an email was sent to me at 2:22am by Redbox with a subject: Your receipt;  detailing a charge of $65.69 for failing to return the video game in the allotted time.

I called them at 9am explaining that it had been returned.  They asked me to produce an email substantiating this return however, I couldn't.   Maybe others check their emails, but I've never had an issue before so didn't think to check.  Once returned, I have always been satisfied with the message at the Redbox kiosk confirming it's been successfully returned.

I am at a loss.  On my initial call, the customer service rep (wish I remembered her name) was polite and helpful; granted me a $30 credit - this was after I explained that I returned the game and actually purchased it from Target on Black Friday from Target for $59.99 (issued $20 GC) bringing it down to $40 (not the best deal -as others have been better but I wanted the game less another $2+ rental fee).   And that I could produce the receipt to substantiate this.

I didn't have the address to the St. Peters schnucks so I called back and gave it to a male customer service rep (not very polite) so that they can check the location.  I don't have much hope with them "sending out another technician to that location to verify" as he stated.   I asked about followup and they basically said, "we do not followup; it's up to you to call us in a week or so".

I am absolutely certain that it was returned and it's obvious that their system is flawed which is very costly to the consumer.   A very unfortunate turn of events considering I have to recourse outside of hoping that they recover this stupid disk.  That's my story.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/22/2012 09:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Redbox/Saint-Louis-Missouri-63116/Redbox-Redbox-claim-video-game-not-returned-Saint-Louis-Missouri-985858. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Redbox

Same store redbox, similar isue

AUTHOR: spydercomp01 - ()

I rented a movie from that same location, returned it after two days and got charged for having it a total of nine days.  When I called to dispute, I was told there was nothing they could do.  Very sad to think I used to rent all of my movies from them only to be scammed once that industry is taking a dive.

Update to Redbox charge

AUTHOR: Sinngrace - (United States of America)

Called Redbox back a third time on 12/24/2012 and was told that a technician had checked and could not locate the game.   I asked if their were specific notes from the Technician as to when this was checked since I was told that it would take a week due to the holiday and the reps response was, "no, but we have a process in place requiring all kiosks to be checked every 24-48 hours".  To which i replied, that's not what was communicated to me on my initial call.

I explained my situation again and was told the charge stands.  I asked to speak with a Supervisor and after about 10 minutes - was connected to a woman who identified herself as the supervisor.   After explaining my situation again, I was met with the same response ( except this time she stated, "You agreed to a $30 credit".   This blew me away.   I told her that accepting a $30 credit was not an admission of guilt but I thought a good faith move on their part - as the first customer service rep indicated that she would apply the $30 credit until I called back with the Kiosk's location so the return could be investigated by a technician.  In short, I provided her with my credit card asking her to review my history of rentals.   She noted I had over 170 rentals in the course of 5+ years - all of which had been returned.   I explained, that I could show I had purchased two of these games on Black Friday from Target and most certainly returned the video game and they should have an honor system for customers who consistently returned items.  That this approach was not just unfair but criminal considering I know with absolute certainty it was returned.  After 15 minutes - this supervisor stood her ground and repeatedly stated "the credit stands".  I asked her what recourse I had and she told me to contact my credit card company and/or their corporate office.

I have contacted my credit card company and filed a grievance (Discover)  - haven't contacted their corporate office yet.   I don't know what to expect at this point but more to follow.