Complaint Review: Smart Choice Payments – TRUSTED BUSINESS | Ripoff Report Verified™ …businesses you can trust. Smart Choice Payments offers Merchant Incentives, other savings opportunities with in-store, online, mobile transactions including: Standard retail accounts, Card-not-present MOTO accounts, Internet Gateway accounts, Mobile and wireless accounts, & Specialized restaurant, lodging, fuel dispensary accounts. Smart Choice Payments provides safe, secure, less expensive credit card processing services, equipment, ensures customer satisfaction.

• Submitted: Tue, October 08, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, January 27, 2015

• Reported By: Patti — Sarasota Florida
Smart Choice Payments
848 N Rainbow Blvd Suite 1860 Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Smart Choice Payments REVIEW: Verified Safe - Smart Choice Payments dedicated to total customer satisfaction. Smart Choice Payments past & current approach to business focused on providing highest quality career consulting services to clients. Boston, Hartford, Stamford, Washington, D.C. Massachusetts
*UPDATE: Smart Choice Payments pledges commitment to Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy, Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program. A program benefiting consumers, assuring complete satisfaction, confidence when doing business with a member business. Smart Choice Payments recognized by Ripoff Report Verified™ as a safe business service.

Ripoff Report Verified™ REVIEW:

EDitor’s UPDATE: Positive rating and recognition has been given to Smart Choice Payments for its commitment to excellence in customer service.

Ripoff Report’s discussions with Smart Choice Payments have uncovered an ongoing commitment by the company to total client satisfaction. This means that clients can expect that the company will work towards finding a mutually satisfactory resolution to any complaints or concerns. Smart Choice Payments listens carefully to client concerns and sees them as an opportunity to learn from past mistakes and become more efficient as a company in the services offered and the support for those services.

Smart Choice Payments Owner, Mr. Todd McCartney, has informed us that his personal philosophy is that his clients are a precious resource. [continued below]....
..... As a successful businessman, Mr. McCartney feels it is critical to listen to his clients and respond properly. By always putting his customers first, Mr. McCartney hopes to maintain Smart Choice Payments as a successful enterprise both now and for many years to come. Another top executive of the company told us that Mr. McCartney's personal business philosophy is based on the premise that "strives to add value in its services as they understand that a successful business model is based on value-added services, and client care”. Smart Choice Payments mission statement says it all: "Our goal is to provide our clients the best quality, value and professional excellence in the industry.” One of the other things Ripoff Report learned in the course of its review is that typical customer feedback reads: “Smart Choice Payments (and Mr. McCartney) truly communicate all aspects of the job in a timely and effective manner. We are very pleased with the responsiveness that he and his employees show us. They are serious about meeting commitments, and deliver on all their promises.”

The information provided in this report below is based on comments made by Kimberly Chin during an onsite inspection held by a third party verification company with no biases toward Smart Choice Payments.

Smart Choice Payments offers an array of payment processing services in order to provide businesses with a higher quality of service, "we show businesses how to save money on credit card processing. We also offer gift cards to help increase their business... We educate the business owner.”

Smart Choice Payments is Ripoff Report Verified

Their client base is mainly developed from the company's private call center, "we call businesses that currently take credit cards and let them know we can save them money in fees. We also call businesses who don't take credit cards and explain how they can increase their business profit by taking credit cards." After the initial call is made if the business is interested in the products Smart Choice Payments will survey the business in order to understand what products work best for them, "we show the business owner how our equipment runs, how to take payments, and how to find clients. We then go over different accounts we offer to see which is best for that business.”

Smart Choice Payments Complaint Resolution & Customer Care

During the onsite interview, Kimberly Chin was asked to describe a situation where a client was not satisfied with the level of service they received. Ms. Chin explained that the most common complaint received against Smart Choice Payments are from business that, "feel they didn't get their money as soon as they thought they should from the credit card processing service. This is from them not understanding how to batch out." Another common complaint from businesses is in regards to a monthly terminal fee. In order to resolve these issues Ms. Chin explains that Smart Choice Payments main priority is helping businesses understand the benefit of their product, "we educate them on the batching out process, we explain the terminal fee, and again remind them how much they are saving from their previous plan." Ms. Chin then goes on to explain that this is a highly effective response to complaints, "we retain 90% of our clients who have this complaint. The other 10% we will buy back the machines and let them out of their contract with no fee due.”

Ms. Chin described that their standard practice for follow-up after a complaint resolution is to, "call them back in 15 days to see how things are going. We also follow up with all clients in 30 and 60 days." There is also a 24/7 technical support line that clients can reach out to.

When asked to comment on complaints posted on Ripoff Report's website Ms. Chin described the training protocol of the sales staff, as most complaints were directed towards their practices, "we now have weekly training for all sales reps which is 6-8hrs each week. We also have monthly online seminars for our teams to attend. We now make sure the sales reps are doing the follow ups as mentioned before." She also ensured future clients that Smart Choice Payments are members of the BBB, as well as certified by Mastercard and Visa each year they've been in business.

When asked what type of changes they have made to honor their commitment to make things right with the customer per the request of Ripoff Report, Ms. chin stated, "we now have sales manager supervising the sales team whereas before they were on their own with little supervision.”

Smart Choice Payments is pleased to be a part of Ripoff Reports Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program. Ms. Chin further explains by stating, "it's a chance to make things right, and let our clients know that we care.”

Smart Choice Payments / Statements from the owner Todd McCartney

"Smart Choice Payments is one of the most widely used Merchant Card Processing Companies in the market today. We are very proud of our customer service team, and look forward to doing business with you. Our commitment to you is that we strive to deliver a level of service that exceeds the expectations of our customers.”

Smart Choice Payments Customer Service team have expressed that they feel very confident doing their job. The department manager at Smart Choice Payments stated "I have seen Mr. McCartney take personal interest in entire process for the customer. It always gives me great pleasure to go back to the customer a year after the install and find that the the customer is happy and saving money on their processing needs.

Smart Choice Payments takes employee satisfaction seriously as well. Employee feedback and surveys reveal comments such as this: "Smart Choice provides a very positive environment to work. Opportunities for suggestions and improvements are encouraged. Todd is truly concerned about our contribution to the company and providing growth opportunities for us. He takes the time to listen and communicate with employees and customers." Ripoff Report was pleased to learn that Smart Choice Payments past and current approach to business is focused on its pledge to total commitment towards client and employee satisfaction.

Smart Choice Payments recognizes that complaints posted on Ripoff Report (whether true or not) are issues that need to be addressed, not ignored. If handled correctly, complaints can be valuable learning opportunities. With the feedback generated by Ripoff Report’s review, Smart Choice Payments has made organizational changes allowing its clients and employees a more streamlined approach to problem resolution and a commitment to a great client experience.

In summary, after our review, which included discussions with Mr. McCartney, Ripoff Report is convinced that Smart Choice Payments is committed to quality delivery of services resulting in total client satisfaction.

Read about Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program, a program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. this program works.

Since the time of this report we as a company wanting to make things better have restructured. Many of the employees that were with us at this time are no longer here. We went through extensive training and re-training on sales and customer relations to ensure the knowledge needed is provided to enhance excellent customer satisfaction.

It is our up most important goal to serve all of our merchants with the best service and to resolve all issues in a timely matter.We have put together a new team that thrives on customer satisfaction.

Smart Choice Payments Wholesale Merchant Processing Credit Card Processing Las Vegas Nevada

Smooth talking saleman, Knut Werpen, came into our marina with promises of lowering our credit card processing fees. He stated he worked for Visa and could save us money because we would be dealing with the processor, eliminating the "middleman" processing company. He looked over my last processing statement, went out to call his company and came back with a comparison showing our company could have saved $345.10 that month if we had been with Visa. This price included a lease payment for equipment. I told him I did not need to lease equipment as we had our own. The lease payment shown was $229.99 per month. He stated we had to use their equipment because it had a special "chip" inside to comunicate with Visa directly. Our equipment could not be reprogrammed to do that. The lease was 48 months and in 2 years we would own the equipment. I thought the amount of money we were saving would offset the lease so we decided to contract with him. Did the paperwork. After the firdt couple of months I found we were not saving money and had been locked into a 4 year lease where we would never own the equipment unless we bought it out at the end of the lease. Also, he did not work for Visa, he worked for Smart Choice Payments, a processing company, not the processor. My statement showed various charges for services that were not included in his savings comparison. I spoke with Kelly at customer service. Could not get anything rectified and asked to speak with her manager. She said she would give her a message to call me. In the meantime, I discovered that the machines I had to lease did not have special "chips" in them and I did not get the machines that were written on the lease contract. At that point I realized I had been lied to and called customer service back. Again I spoke with Kelly and let her know I was angry that I had been lied to. She said she did not have anything to do with the sales part of their business. I asked to speak with Knut's manager. Again she said she would leave a message with her supervisor. I never recieved a call back and when I tried to call customer service again, I got a recording to leave a message which I did. Still no call so I decided to call with my personal cell phone. Guess what? Kelly answered the phone immediately and seemed a bit surprised I was on the other end. I asked to speak to her manager, she said she was not available but would again leave a message. I got a call from Craig Dery who stated he was the sales manager. I told him about Knut lying about who he worked for, the reason I had to lease equipment, was not realizing the savings calculated and the extremely poor customer service. He said he would like to personally give me a new proposal. That he was not there during my conversation with Knut and the sales people are not taught to sell that way. Knut has many satisfied customers so he finds it hard to believe what I told him, not to call me a liar though. I asked him why would I lease equipment when I had my own that could have been reprogrammed if his saleman had not said that. He said when you lease equipment you get a better rate. However, I was not getting a better rate. I had been put on a tier program, not interchange. He said he would call me back the next day with a new proposal, rate. I have not heard a word from him. He gave me his direct line 800-756-6277 ext 401 but I have no intention of calling him.

This company is a ripoff. I have found other complaints stating the exact same things I was told by Knut Werpen. If this man comes in trying to sell you processing, turn him out. You will not save money and he will line his and the companys pockets with about $12000.00 by leasing you equipment. I will be contacting our attorney about getting out of this 'non cancellable" lease as this company is unwilling to admit to their salesman's fraudulent practices. I have gone with another reputable company who educated me on why I was not saving money and exactly what kind of lease I was sold. Knut Werpen is a liar who talks smooth with promises of saving you money. It is not true. I did call and speak to him and confronted him with his lies. He hung up on me. What a professional way to do business! Stay away from Knut Werpen, WMP (Wholesale Merchant Processing), Smart Choice Payments, and Northern Leasing Systems, Inc. They are not to be trusted!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2013 09:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smart-Choice-Payments/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89107/Smart-Choice-Payments-Wholesale-Merchant-Processing-Credit-Card-Processing-Las-Vegas-Nevad-1090339. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smart Choice Payments

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: nmd122 - ()

This is EXACTLY  why I decided NOT to work in this industry. It is TOTALLY THE COMPANIES FAULT!! I  cannot tell you how many merchant processor companies hired me  ON THE SPOT VIA PHONE CALL........ NEVER MET ME!!  I could be a felon and they would not know!!! these companies put them self at risk by paying per sale no salary and no backgroend check!!!

So it is so easy for a sales rep to lie!! there is no accountability and this indusrty has a black eye because of it..........

I would rather be homeless than work for ANY MERCHANT COMPANY!!

AUTHOR: Patti - ()

Well, after 2 months and cancellation of my contract with Smart Choice Processor I was debited through a 3rd party for $1388.98. I had to research to find out that the company that debited the money was an in house collection agency for Smart Choice named American Payments.

I spoke again with Craig Dery after numerous phone calls to customer service with no reply. Finally Craig Dery called me to explain the charge. I informed him I had never heard back from him after our last convesation in which he was going to send me a new proposal. Since they could not beat the new processor's rates, according to my contract, I could cancel said contract without paying any fees. He gave me a new proposal over the phone which still did not match or beat my current processor but I asked for the proposal in writing. He said he would send it to me, as of this writing I still have not recieved it.

He said he wanted to resolve this issue to my satisfaction. I asked to speak with someone higher up that could make the decisions to satisfy me. He said in order to do that He would have to email them and then wait for a reply as to when we could set up a time to speak. What kind of customer service is that!? I demanded a refund of the fees taken from my account without my knowledge. I have not recieved that either and am sure I will not.

I have had to change my bank account to be certain they will not deduct any other monies through and other 3rd parties. No one from their company or American Payments contacted me prior to deducting money from my account to inform me what was going on. This company continues to decieve and lie. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM or Knut Werpen. I am also very surprised that they are affiliated with Wells Fargo Bank. Apparently, Wells Fargo is not concerned with how their ISO's do business or how many lies they tell to do it.

I will NEVER do business with Wells Fargo, Smart Choice Payments or Wholesale Merchant Processing.