Complaint Review: Southeast Gold Buyers

*Consumer Comment: GoldMaxUSA - my experience

*Author of original report: Full Retraction

*UPDATE Employee: Southeast Gold Buyers, LLC Legal Response

*UPDATE Employee: Southeast Gold Buyers now GoldMax USA

If you sell to or work for Southeast Gold Buyers or now Gold Max, beware.  They follow none of the US laws regarding gold buying.  Their sign should say "Thieves Welcome".  By law, any jewelry purchased must be held for 30 days so if it is stolen merchandise, the police can be notified and the owner may reclaim their stolen jewelry.  Southeast Gold Buyers/Gold Max follows none of these laws. They melt down the gold every night so the legitimate owner cannot be contacted.  Moreover, they don't fingerprint the sellers.

Furthermore, they make the most money on Home Parties.  This is dangerous and highly illegal.  Salespeople are strongly urged to get thieves to gather their friends for parties in their homes to sell all their stolen merchandise.  A salesperson from Southeast Gold Buyers/Gold Max is sent to the house with a scale, testing equipment, and a check.  They pay top dollar for stolen merchandise and melt it before the police can be notified.

I have been told they are under indictment, which may be why they suddenly changed the name of the company to Gold Max.  If you want to break the law, go ahead and work for them or sell to them.  But when they are caught, employees will probably be indicted too.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/09/2011 12:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Southeast-Gold-Buyers/internet/Southeast-Gold-Buyers-Gold-Max-Scam-Alert-Working-for-Theives-Internet-796522. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Southeast Gold Buyers

GoldMaxUSA - my experience

AUTHOR: Roger Dodger - (United States of America)

In my experience, GoldMaxUSA (formerly Southeast Gold Buyers) does NOT offer the highest price for gold far from it.   And they will not quote you their price before testing and weighing it on their scale that I suspect to be calibrated incorrectly. Why? Because they lowball you so they will have room to "offer a deal" when you refuse. They'll tell you that the reason they can't quote is the "rapidly changing price of gold" but this is a bogus argument.  I called several places to compare - two Pawn Stores and two local, family owned jewelry stores.  They ALL gave me a "price per gram" or "price per ounce" that they would pay that day. It was usually a range of a few dollars, but it was solid enough for me to determine what I would walk away with.   GoldMaxUSA does not allow you to call their local stores - all of their phone #s ring to a voicemail - they want you IN their stores with your Gold, because you're much less likely to leave.  In my opinion and experience, GoldMaxUSA's claim that they pay the "highest price for Gold" is simply not true.  My proof?  I took approximately 45 grams of 14K Gold into GoldMaxUSA - the lady was very nice - but she would not weigh my gold first, until she tested" it (it was clearly stamped 14K on each piece).   I had weighed my gold at home on a high quality kitchen scale it came in at approximately 45 grams.  I calculated the spot market value of my gold that day was around $1500.00, so I expected to be offered no LESS than $1000.00.  Imagine my surprise when my offer came in at $490 and change! I immediately got up and that's when the sales lady sprang into action: "let me call my supervisor"  She dialed her cell a couple of times, but couldnt teach anyone...then she tried to offer me a bit more, but I told her that I was expecting at least double. I even left her my phone # and that if she would meet my price, I'd come back. Of course, I never heard from her.

Bottom line - as a consumer, you MUST be informed - never walk into a "Cash for Gold" store without KNOWING how much Gold you have, the spot price on that day, and what the "price per gram" you'll be offered.  If you visit GoldMaxUSA, have your figures written down and the bottom-line price you will accept and be prepared to either walk out, or engage in used car sales haggling.  Do your own research.   Read Google reviews and complaints about GoldMaxUSA to learn what other are saying.   Read sites like Yelp.com, Google Local, and others that are true reviews not websites that look like review sites, but are likely written by the company themselves.

In summary, KNOW what you have - weigh your gold, know the current price. Then ask your buyer what is the best price they will give you. I was able to find a local jewelry store that paid me THREE times what GoldMax offered - you read that right - 3 times!  I received $1472.00 for the exact same gold that GoldMaxUSA offered $490.00 for.   You too can be a smart seller of your gold.

Full Retraction

AUTHOR: Writer2122 - (USA)

It is with heartfelt apology that I retract the statement I wrote about Southeast Gold Buyers.  I dont know what compelled me to create such destructive and untrue allegations about their business; maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed or Mercury was in retrograde.  I have no facts to substantiate the information I posted and I withdraw every word I said in that post.  Southeast Gold Buyers is a reputable company that pays top dollar for gold.  Ive never seen better prices paid for scrap gold.  I highly recommend them to anyone who has gold to sell.  They will treat you right and their employees are well trained and knowledgeable.

Please acknowledge here that the allegations made and contained in my post were (and are) false and baseless.  I apologize for any and all time and expense caused to Southeast Gold Buyers when they tried to seek a retraction of the post themselves.  We all learned that ripoffreport.com will not under any circumstances retract a post that has been made on their site.

Southeast Gold Buyers, LLC Legal Response

AUTHOR: Southeast Gold Buyer, LLC Legal Cou - (United States of America)

Southeast Gold Buyers, LLC ("SGB") vehemently denies the posting placed by Writer2122.  SGB takes such false accusations with the utmost concern and attention.

Accordingly, notice is hereby provided that SGB will be seeking discovery from Ripoff Report to ascertain the identity of Writer 2122 so as to protect and defend against such baseless allegations.

Such discovery shall be served in connection with the following civil action filed in the Superior Court of Cobb County, State of Georgia:  Southeast Gold Buyers, LLC v. John Doe, Civil File Action Number:  11-1-11531-42.

SGB hereby provides Writer2122 reasonable notice that he/she may anonymously file and serve a response to the discovery request.

Writer 2122 can contact the following phone number to obtain more information in regards to filing and serving a response to the discovery sought by SGB:  770-434-6868.

Southeast Gold Buyers now GoldMax USA

AUTHOR: Cathy - (United States of America)

We follow all statutory requirements and our prices are competitive in the market.  Weve purchased gold from hundreds of thousands of consumers and our reputation speaks for itself.