Complaint Review: StartCity Moving

• Submitted: Tue, January 29, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, January 29, 2013

• Reported By: Lovejersey — Suffern New York United States of America
StartCity Moving
123 Town Square Place, Suite 654 Jersey city, New Jersey United States of America

StartCity Moving BEWARE RIPOFF SCAM ITEMS HELD HOSTAGE THIEVES Jersey city , New Jersey

These people are real scum of the earth , they deliberately mislead you about the cost of your move only to give you the real price after they have already put your belongings in the truck. My husband repeatedly asked them if there were any fees besides the $99/hour and was told no. He told the movers that we did not need any supplies, but they packed everything up with extra tape and saran wrap (kinda strange) and billed us $500 for it. They also charged a $300 stair fee for having to move from the third floor. On top of that, they didn't even show up on our move date. We had to reschedule with them for the next day! It should have been a warning sign, but we really wanted that good deal of $99/hour. Unfortunately, we didn't know this business was an expert at scamming people out of money with hidden fees. Our total bill was $1,100. And they refused to budge. Our original quote was for $450 dollars they held our stuff hostage and would not unload untill we paid the balance in full

The movers themselves were horrible they smoked and threw buts allover, and one of them urinated allover the floor in the bathroom

Update: I noticed damage to a table while unpacking. I tried to contact the company and was told to call back on Tuesday or Thursday for the "claims department." I called back on Tuesday and was told to call back on Thursday. When I told the woman that I didn't appreciate being given misinformation the first time I called, she started to yell at me and refused to give her name so I could speak to her manager. Well, I called on Thursday and was told to call back on next Thursday because the "claims department" had gone home early. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with, and our next step is going to small claims court.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2013 01:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/StartCity-Moving/Jersey-city-New-Jersey-/StartCity-Moving-BEWARE-RIPOFF-SCAM-ITEMS-HELD-HOSTAGE-THIEVES-Jersey-city-New-Jerse-1005552. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on StartCity Moving