Complaint Review: The Law office of Thomas Landis

3325 Street Road Bensalem, Pennsylvania United States of America
  • Phone: 215-642-3400
  • Web:
  • Category:

The Law office of Thomas Landis Harrasing, Cryptic, Wrong info, not pleasant, fallacy, impossible to talk to Bensalem, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: sounds familiar

I have credit card debt, I am highly aware of this. What can you expect when credit card companies give cards to people who make $5 an hour, 20 hours a week (and this was full time), and before taxes the gross annual income was $3500-$5000? Took the card and started paying tuition for college, gas to travel to said college (a 2 hour round trip commute up to 5 days a week) also to travel around to work and to another college that I was at prior to the university. Also used this card and another to pay for hospital expenses & car repairs, later on paid for things involved with a dance school I was accepted into (since the University's classes were far too expensive).

I was diligent for YEARS on paying my cards' minimums, then I was forced into unemployment for nearly a year due to a severe injury. I called both card companies who offered to differ payments until I could receive a check from Workman's Comp. Which was a WHOLE other world of scam artists since they would "forget" to pay me my small percentage of my (at this time $6 per hour, 15 - 20 hour per week) pay and "Ohhh you should already be better" even though it had been reported I had a condition that has NO current cure, just procedures that can pamper or mildly put the condition in remission. Then came a severe car wreck, that put me in a wheelchair & using a cane for 3 more months. Getting a job was impossible. The cards did NO such assistance, and my APR skyrocketed from 19% to 39 or 49% until I went back to working (for a different company). Then it came down a smidge.

Following the hospitalization, I was unable to work for a few months because of complications of pancreatitis & then my gall bladder was removed. At this point paying on the  cards were virtually impossible. My new used car died (yet another problem, another page to write on), and since the cards were still active and I had no money readily available in the bank. I started paying hospital bills and for car repairs on these cards.

Next thing I know I was calling a Debt Consolidation company I saw on tv, they claimed a specific and surprisingly small amount to pay per month for a chance to bring down and eliminate my debt entirely. Next thing I knew I got 4 more calls with higher and higher and higher amounts, to the point I would be paying them more than my hospital bills monthly payment, and both credit card's minimums combined. So I freaked out, called the company back and cancelled. Which they fought tooth and nail and threatened to garnish my bank account to make the first payment, then garnish again for the next month until allll the debt was paid off. I pulled my $200 out of the account faster than I could blink (they were planning to take out over $500!). I started a new account, and reported them to the BBB. They wrote me a "nastygram" back claiming me to be a whistleblower and a liar. I just forwarded that letter back to the BBB and havent ever heard from those Debt consolidators ever again.

Then I got a small loan, cosigned with my brother as this was the only viable option to me at the time. Paid off a few things having to do with the dance school. I have been pretty much on time in paying them this WHOLE time to date. And they sent me to a Debt Consolidation place in Jacksonville, FL. I went ther with $20 in hand, and all my bills. They told me my debt WAS NOT OLD ENOUGH OR NOT ENOUGH to do anything with. THey said that I had to STOP making all payments and let the debt snowball before they or even a bankruptcy lawyer would do anything about it. So unknowingly, I did so. Also accepting their certificate saying I got debt councelng to allow me to visit a bankruptcy lawyer. That lawyer said the same stuff to me. And both said come back and see them in a certain period of time. Went back, and that office in Jax is GONE! Then went to the lawyer, who remembered me... but without a new certificate he WOULDNT EVEN LISTEN TO ME!

Tried to go back and pay on the debt but both cards said my accounts were closed and being handled by another company. Was bounced around like a ball to various collections. Until Thomas Landry.

They sent me letters, saying that I owed this crazy amount to a place called Pinnacle. Dont know who they are. I was pregnant at the time, and was working on a very small wedding where most of my husband's family's friends owed favors so we got to get married for pretty much free. A plus when I was so far over my head and adding on caring for my body to try and make my unborn child as healthy as she could be. But with all this going on I didnt know what end was up.

Now the calls begin. AT MY WORK! Both cards I had had my mom's house phone on them, and when that line was disconnected I CALLED both phones & went online to update the number to my cell phone. I also told both collections NOT to call my work. they continued. This company still does because I recently was answering phones at my work and got a call for my (majorly mispronounced) name with my maiden name. Hung up because it was automated, and we cannot take those kind of calls at work. Today is yet another day where I got a call from this 215 area code. Called it to find out who in the heck it was because they call, let it ring twice then hang up without a message left. Also get phone calls from a hidden number, highly unprofessional. Now those hidden number calls DO leave a message to call a totally different number. Not sure if this belongs to Thomas Landry or the other card because they NEVER say who they are with at all. May be both because there are different people with different phone numbers calling. Annoying to say the least.

I have gotten another letter in September, claiming I owed Pinnacle again. But the debt was totally different than what the letter said before. Was $12,700, now it said $18,600. Huge leap from around April to September, isnt it? Especially since I only used up $11k, and the LIMIT was $12,400. Somehow they got the address where my husband & I are staying. I ask them NOT to write me there because it is a temporary address, and that I made arrangements with my mother to accept mail at her house. I wrote them back stating my situation, what led to the situation, and that I would be willing to make small payments of $20-$75 a month if I could afford that and if they were ok with that. Waited for them to say yes or no to that. Kept getting calls from "Hidden" and a 1-800 number with a very rude sounding person, telling me I HAVE TO CALL NOW! IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CALL IMMEDIATELY! Do not yell at me, that is a quick way for me to just hit the DELETE button on the voicemail. Sorry, I dont accept rude at my home or work and I DEFINITELY do NOT accept if from strangers.

I recently got yet ANOTHER letter at my address(in December), with my maiden name on it. NOW it says I owe around $19,700. And claims this is because I made NO attempt to call or write them. HUGE FALLACY! I DID write them, I just didnt write them with my tail between my legs saying yes yes I accept here is a check for the written amount. BUT obviously my letter got to them, because this go around I found out who the original card was from. Which for the record, both my cards came from companies bought out a couple times each because they TOO were in debt. I DID write them, I did offer a way that I could pay.

Right now, my husband and I along with our now 4 month old daughter will have to just go from NO CREDIT,BAD CREDIT, NO PROBLEM! places to rent homes because we cannot put my name on a lease/mortgage for a home because this constant addition by this company. At least the other collection agency froze the amount (which I thought was the LEGAL thing they all had to do when they bought debt). Even though that company too pulled a lot of what this Thomas Landry person/company did with the constant phone calls, the other company inflated the debt before freezing it, claimed I never contacted them.

ONLY option so far for me is only let my husband's name go on a lease as his credit is halfway decent. Then go to a cheap counciling place, and then declare bankruptcy. I just home me declaring bankruptcy doesnt destroy my husband's credit or my brother's in the process.

I even asked Thomas Landy's office & the other Law office (other credit card) about settling the debt like you see on the internet & tv and even billboards on the highway  for pennies on the dollar. I read up on settling debt online, and it sounds like it would do nearly as much damage as bankruptcy. But at this point with Thomas Landry's office and the other card doing this inflation thing and claiming that I made no attempts to call them (AKA call or write and say YES to them), that either option may actually IMPROVE my credit!

Sick of the calls that are done like prank calls (Call ring 2 times & hang up). Very unprofessional & RUDE! Sick of the hidden numbers, am NOT calling any back thank you. Dont know who you are & I have told you what my legal name is. If you can find my current address, you know my current name. USE IT! Learn to pronounce names, because you mangled my name soooo bad it sounds like someone else entirely. My first name the way you say it sounds like my best friend from gymnastics class from Preschool! Last name (maiden) gets mangled to sound like a name that is a dime a dozen in the phone book. Get it right or how am I or anyone else to know its really me you are calling about. Inflation I didnt think could happen once the account is shut down by the card company. SO WHY DO YOU CONTINUALLY DO IT?! A jump of several grand in a month seems highly fishy to me. When someone writes you and tells you we dont have money, there IS THE possibility that we really do not have money. Yes I do know there are multimillionares claiming the same thing, which screws us the little people over making us look like we are lying too.. but you have the resources to know better. Being nasty on the phone, will NOT get your call answered by me or anyone else. I SAY & SAID DO NOT CALL ME AT WORK & IN WRITING said this several times! By LAW (federal & the state's) states you now CANNOT call my work. Also if I request a certain address is used. BY LAW YOU HAVE TO USE THAT ONE! If I say do not call me, do all correspondance email or mail DO IT, as it is the LAW. I made several requests about each and you ignore me as I do not exist. I DO AND SO DO THE MILLIONS OF OTHER AMERICANS WHO HAVE TO PUT UP WITH COMPANIES LIKE THIS. I do not like being called (and I am very sure most of the other consumers are the same) a liar, which this law office did by saying I did not respond to letters or even phone calls. Not a good work practice I think!

AND ONE OTHER THING! I am HUGELY sick of calls on or around holidays! I am sad to hear you have to work those days isntead of being with your families, but you should not have the right to harrass us the consumers on religious or national holidays. Christmas means gifts to the materialistic minds, which I figure is code for you people to call because "OHHHH Christmas means gifts, gifts mean more money available, GIMME GIMME GIMME!" You do this at Thanksgiving, New Years, 4th of July, Easter, and I KNOW WE WILL ALL GET a HUUUUGE influx of calls on or around April 15th. We all know you will. Wrong thing to do, because you are not the only company people owe to. ACtually none of the consumers owe to YOU, if they really do owe anything to anyone it is to the original card or company. This is aggrivating.

But worst of all (even over the Law offices of Thomas Landry) is the original creditor who handed a credit card to a person who readily admitted to only making $3500-$5000 a year, when their criteria was $14,400. Which I can barely reach now even with my current job.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/21/2010 10:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Law-office-of-Thomas-Landis/Bensalem-Pennsylvania-19020/The-Law-office-of-Thomas-Landis-Harrasing-Cryptic-Wrong-info-not-pleasant-fallacy-im-557842. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Law office of Thomas Landis

sounds familiar

AUTHOR: Mike - (USA)

Hello-

Minus the hospital bills you mentioned, this is almost a verbatim account of what I went through.  Working a slightly more than minimum wage job out of high school to help pay for college, I took a credit card to help pay for expenses.  The charges and bills added up quickly between books, housing deposits, train tickets home, etc.  Once I started working a steady job, I was able to make higher than minimum payments, but that's when the morons at this office started calling.  I've been making payments, but apparently not to their satisfaction.  When these "people" call, it is usually from a 1-800 number, and therefore I don't even bother to answer the phone.  They usually end up leaving a recorded message, not saying who they were, only that I call them.  I called the 1-800 number once, and I got a message saying the office was closed.  They have called my office number...I'm not sure how they got it, and even have called my parents' house looking for me.  Now I just ignore them when they call.  If you talk to them or try to give them any information, you will just end up causing yourself more stress...