Complaint Review: Touch Of Modern

• Submitted: Tue, June 26, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, January 30, 2013

• Reported By: Chris — Columbus Georgia U.S.A.
Touch Of Modern
423 Tehama St San Francisco, CA 94103 San Francisco, California United States of America

Touch Of Modern TouchofModern.com Shadowy, elusive 'company' claiming massive discounts on furniture... too good to be true San Francisco, California

*Consumer Comment: Touch Of Modern is GREAT!

*Consumer Comment: Love Touch of Modern (touchofmodern.com)

*Consumer Comment: touch of modern

*Author of original report: I knew the HJC troll would appear yet again...

*Consumer Comment: I received a package...

*Author of original report: I knew the troll HJC would come out

*Consumer Comment: Logical fallacies

*Author of original report: This poster is a TOM Bot

*Consumer Comment: Clarification

*Author of original report: Other complaints on ROR Validate Claims

*Author of original report: I stand by my post.

*Consumer Comment: Never Had A Bad Experience with TouchOfModern

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: TouchOfModern Works Hard for Our Customers

I set up a totally phony Email account on Yahoo to trap Spammers and one of the more ubiquitous has been "Touch of Modern", aka TouchOfModern.com.

This is a VERY shadowy 'company' whose main purpose seem to be to get you to snitch out
three friends and type in their Email addresses on their web site.

You've seen the type of Spam ads: pictures of Totally Killer merchandise at too-good-to-be-true
prices.  Just type in credit card number, please.  Funny, how the web site divulges UTTERLY
NOTHING about this so-called 'company'.  You have to join to get information.

Anyone trust that sort of customer service experience ?  I know I don't....

Stay away from Touch of Modern --- I smell scam all over the place....

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2012 05:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Touch-Of-Modern/San-Francisco-California-94103/Touch-Of-Modern-TouchofModerncom-Shadowy-elusive-company-claiming-massive-discounts-on-903317. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Touch Of Modern

Touch Of Modern is GREAT!

AUTHOR: Wren - ()

I have been a custoemr of TOM for several months and have ordered over 10 products in 4 separate orders. I have been super impressed by the state of the products when they arrived. Professionally packaged and true to the quality described on the website. I find it hard to believe that someone who has not purchased a product (not been "ripped off") could assume so far into accusing the company of being a spammer. Their affiliate program does promote bringing your friends to them. You get discounts if your references purchase products. (Standard commercial marketing practises.)

TOM, keep up the excellent service!!

Love Touch of Modern (touchofmodern.com)

AUTHOR: Michele l. - ()

I have ordered 5 or 6 items from Touch of Modern and the very worst thing I have to say about it is the length of time it occasionally takes to recieve the product ordered.

The product has always arrived in great condition, well packed and exactly as expected. The products ordered have been as diverse as a vinegar-oil cruet  which everyone comments on, a suitcase with three separate components that form one unit, a decorative glass wall hanging that draws the eye, etc.

It appears this was written with no knowledge of this purveyor but automatically believe it is just too good to be true without proper factual experience or research.

touch of modern

AUTHOR: Johan - ()

I have ordered a couple of items from TOM.  They do advise right on their site, on the product page and order confirmation how long it may take for delivery.  In one of my experiences I ordered pen/stylus combination products. Delivery took longer than expected. TOM credited the purchase price and still shipped my order to me even tho I was willing to wait and pay for it. So for the gent that believes they are a scam company based on their marketing tactics, you will miss out on good deals. Fyi, I never offered email addresses other than my own to get membership but I have received ads from other luxury brand sellers; gilt.com and topbutton.com to name a few, asking for friend's email addresses. If you dont appreciate their tactics simply add them to your spam folder. Makes me wonder what your angle is. TOM is no scam.

~Johan

I knew the HJC troll would appear yet again...

AUTHOR: Chris - ()

...because HJC either works at TOM or is acting on their behalf. Almost no one on ROR will believe what you are trying to pull!

We've seen your little scam before many, many times.

BTW - still hiding, eh?  Too cowardly to give a real name...

Nice try, though,now crawl back into the gutter you came out of,

but first look at the other TOM complaints on this board.

I PREDICT you will troll again...

I received a package...

AUTHOR: HJC - ()

Yeah, I said that would be my last post. But then I received a package from TouchofModern (which I already mentioned that I had ordered in a previous post) and decided, what the hell, I may as well set the record straight.

Attached are a series of images (sensitive info redacted) reconciling that TouchofModern does what they say they will do, when they say they will do it, at the price they say it will cost.

I have placed a red box around pertinent info points, which remain consistent throughout the images, and labeled them.

The images in order are:

• Order History from touchofmodern.com
  • Account Statement / Recent Activity from americanexpress.com
  • Front side of envelope/packslip
  • Back side of envelope/packslip
  • Email from Touch of Modern confirming order placement
  • Email from Touch of Modern confirming order shipment

The pieces of pertinent info are:

• My name and initials, which again I reiterate are HJC. The J middle initial is often dropped on websites that do not ask for a middle name / initial.
  • TouchOfModern Order #
  • Final dollar amount paid to TouchOfModern
  • Item ID / SKU number for the item I purchased
  • Tracking # for the shipment
  • USPS Shipment #

I redacted sensitive info as well as the info on the item I purchased, because it's not anyone's business to know what exactly I bought, but rather that I did buy something and that I did receive it. You are welcome to track the USPS Tracking number if you like; the item was sent to my workplace.  In fact, I encourage you to do so to help you confirm that I am not a Touch Of Modern employee.  I would not work a six-hour commute from SoCal to San Francisco.

The images are either screencaps or images taken using my phone. They have not been altered in any way except to remove certain info and to highlight others.

Sure, maybe they sent you some unsolicited email, but do you still think the website is a scam, Chris? Prices too good to be true? Shadowy and elusive? Because it looks to me like everything is in order here.

I keep checkmating you and you keep trying to deny that you've lost.

I knew the troll HJC would come out

AUTHOR: Chris - ()

OK, so you said your piece and I said mine.  Privacy reasons, eh?  Convenient excuse.  I post everywhere with my real name and take responsibility for my posts.  Look hard enough and you can find the real Chris Long in the vicinity of Columbus.

I stand by my original post about TOM and the other complaints on this site validate what I entered.

Logical fallacies

AUTHOR: HJC - ()

Definitely the last time I will comment on this now. Chris, your density and refusal to listen to reason confuse and astound me.

First of all, I am not posting under a pseudonym - my initials are HJC, and I live in Los Angeles county. I prefer not to use my real name for privacy reasons.  I am not in any way affiliated with TouchOfModern aside from being a consumer.

Your comments regarding posters being anonymous are ad hominem arguments which do not contribute to the discussion.  You are in essence making an argument about the person rather than about the statements they are making.  That would be tantamount to me saying "Well, Chris is from Georgia, so why should we believe him?" - the point is, none of that info affects the argument.  It's irrelevant.

As I said before, I have no explanation for the spam you received, so in that sense, and in that sense only, your complaint is well-founded.  Yes, TouchOfModern should stop spamming email addresses with unsolicited email.  Everything else you have discussed regarding TouchOfModern being a scam is based on what you have inferred or is based on your opinion; none of it is based on facts or your actual first-hand interactions with the company.

Honestly, I would love to give out personal information here for you to contact me directly (to address your belief that I'm somehow an employee of TouchOfModern) but I'm not comfortable doing so in such a publicly accessible way.  I have invoices, bank statements and actual physical products that show that TouchOfModern has shipped me several products as advertised.

Even if I were somehow able to get in touch with you personally, from reading the statements you've made here, I'm led to believe you still wouldn't believe me, so there really is no point in furthering this discussion.  I expect you will respond with another ad hominem about me hiding behind some cloak of anonymity, or you'll call me an employee, or maybe you'll say that I'm a robot!  Wouldn't that be exciting?  At this point, you going back to reiterate the same argument you've been using doesn't make your point stronger - it makes it worse.

I'm done.

*drops the mic*

This poster is a TOM Bot

AUTHOR: Chris - ()

From the other complaints, TOM is an inveterate Spammer.  I started receiving Spam at my 'bait' address unsolicited and it was an avalanche.  THERE WAS NO UNSUBCRIBE !!!

As the other Spammed poster noted, unsubscribing never did any good, when it did appear on the page.

I repeat: Do you trust any owner of a business who posts anonymously? Or so-called 'satisfied customer'who hides behind an anonymous pseudonym.  What are they hiding from ?

I am Chris Long, vicinity of Columbus, GA, had a horrible unsilicited experoence with TOM, as did other posters here, especially the guy trying to buy a watch, and stand by my post.

Don't trust that place, it's anonymous owner, or ONE anonymous supporter (probably an employee), and beware of Touch of Modern.  Next up on the agenda: the 'owner' will post a discreet interval after getting hid road dog to post.

Clarification

AUTHOR: HJC - ()

I submitted a rebuttal as a customer of TouchOfModern, and it was in my rebuttal that I mentioned Groupon, not in the rebuttal marked as Owner of company.  While TouchOfModern and Groupon are not entirely the same, since Groupon offers goods and services while TouchOfModern only offers goods (and a large majority of complaints against Groupon are for services), the premise of being a flash-sales website is the same.  That is all I was referring to in the comparison; any discussion about the merits or faults of Groupon would be irrelevant and out of place.

In response to the claims about spam, of course I have no knowledge as to how or why your bait email address began receiving email from TouchOfModern.  As a customer, I signed up for the TouchOfModern newsletters and updates voluntarily.  Assuming I received the same ones that you did, there is a clear Unsubscribe option to opt out.  While yes, it may be a nuisance to you to have received the email, it only takes one email for you to unsubscribe.  Again, this is based on the assumption that you receive the same emails that voluntary subscribers receive.  On the off chance the emails themselves are substantially different, I can't speak to that fact.

As to the anonymity thing, it's unfair to use that as an argument one way or the other.  Different people have differing comfort levels regarding anonymity, so logically it doesn't make a good argument to support or refute someone's credibility by pointing out their use of anonymity, or lack thereof.

Electronic spam can be loosely defined as "unsolicited electronic communications," and while in your case it may have been unsolicited, all it takes is a click and the emails would stop.

Obviously I cannot change the way you feel about something like this (and this will likely be the last time I rebut this report), but as a customer who checks the TouchOfModern site regularly and has learned quite a bit from it about other companies and other products that have been featured on the site, I have never had a bad experience.  Like I mentioned, I have purchased numerous items from them (in fact I just made another purchase a few days ago) and haven't encountered any issues.

I am not sure how to assuage your concerns outside of straight-up providing you with copies of invoices and photo documentation of the products I received.  Outside of the spam issue, the individual filing the complaint has never had any sort of interaction with the company, and is filing a report based on his opinions.  This complaint just seems unfounded, and that is why I take issue with it.

Other complaints on ROR Validate Claims

AUTHOR: Chris - ()

From the appearance of the complaints filed against Touch of Modern on ROR, looks like their business model has a few makor problems.  I also find it disturbing that the owner of a company would post anonymously.  What is that individual hiding from?

I stand by my post.

AUTHOR: Chris - ()

I checked out the TOM web site and sound it shadowy and divulging VERY

Little about the “company”.  Funny the anonymous rebuttal (why rebut anonymously? I use my real name on ROR) mentions Groupon as somehow credible.  Ask anyone

who has redeemed a Groupon offer for a restaurant meal; the complaints are in the

hundreds of thousands.

Touch of Modern was/is a ubiquitous Spammer;I don’t know where on earth they

scrounged my ‘sucker bait’ Email address, but they trolled the depths of the ‘net

and somehow obtained it.  I DID NOT subscribe to any of their mailings; to obtain

my ‘sucker bait’ Email address, specifically obtained to trap Spammers, they had

to troll the depths of the ‘net or purchase scrounged Email addresses from some

subhuman who scrounges Email addresses.

Opposed to the anonymous rebutter, ask yourself if you trust a firm that gins up

Business by megaloads of Spam, divulges no company information to the public at

Large on the web site, the induces what looks like an employee to rebut my report.

All I said was beware of Touch of Modern and the way it does business, and I mean and stick by my report, filed in goo faith.

Funny that the owner of the company also posted anonymously and refuses to divulge His/her name. My name is real and Columbus, GA, is mydomicile.

Dear owner of TOM: you trolled SOMEWHERE to obtain my ‘sucker bait’ Email

Address, because I never heard of you people before the FLOOD of unsolicited Spam.

If you believe your company does not Spam, you are of touch or uninformed of the workings of your operations…

Phunny how it was impossible to find and contact information for TOM on the site; that's partly why I filed the report.  There may be contact info NOW, but I am not a big enough sucker to join some Spam site just to send a blast to the owener.

Again, why are you hiding who you are, alleged owner....

Never Had A Bad Experience with TouchOfModern

AUTHOR: HJC - ()

Felt I had to at least try and help set the record straight on this one.  I came across TouchOfModern in early June of 2012 (before this report was filed).  I found nothing shady or elusive about the company whatsoever.  Both as a consumer and as the type of person who works in wholesale, I understand that companies can sell to discounted flash-sales websites like TouchOfModern for a variety of reasons - advertising a product or brand, clearing out inventory, generating interest, etc.

I find it disturbing that a ripoff report like this was filed by someone who never actually experienced any interaction with the company.  The individual filing the report merely looked at the email in his inbox, and when he realized he had to sign up to even learn anything pertinent about the company, decided it must be a scam.  For the record, many flash-sales websites like TouchOfModern do require membership first (Groupon, LivingSocial, and HauteLook - which is a Nordstrom subsidiary - are some of the more well-known sites in this category), and there is certainly nothing shady about those companies.

I made my first purchase from TouchOfModern in June of 2012, and the product arrived when they said it would arrive (actually it arrived earlier), at the price they said it would cost, and in the condition they said it would be in.  I have made several purchases since then (just a little over one per month), and have never had an issue with product quality or customer service in any way.  I have referred friends to the site and know that they have ordered products as well.  There is no spam - the unsubscribe button is clearly marked, and you can opt out.  There's no scam either; the prices are real, the products are real.  TouchOfModern is legit.

#13 REBUTTAL Owner of company

TouchOfModern Works Hard for Our Customers

AUTHOR: alphatrance - (United States of America)

Everyday, people here at TouchOfModern work extremely hard to bring our users the best products at the absolute lowest prices. That is part of our mission and it's something we strive for as a company.

We don't spam our users, they can unsubscribe or opt out at any time. We also don't sell their data to third parties and we treat their information as if it were our own.

No credit card information is stored on our servers and all transactions occur though an encrypted SSL connection. We take security very seriously, and spend a lot of time ensuring that our data is never compromised.

We're a new company, we're growing rapidly, and we welcome all feedback on how we can improve ourselves and serve our users better.

Here's more info about us: http://www.crunchbase.com/company/touchofmodern