Complaint Review: United Airlines

• Submitted: Wed, December 09, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, December 09, 2009

• Reported By: Lynda — chicopee Massachusetts U.S.A.
United Airlines

United Airlines seating policy Internet

In route to the airport we had a flat tire. I called UAL and explained my situation and asked what the latest time I could arrive at the gate. The agent kept me online for a half hour only to learn he was trying to rebook me! I could have called a cab and been on time if not waiting for him. With no choice I rebooked at a $75 dollar fee. To make matters worse, I was seated between two very large women with only half my seat space left!The flight was full, and I was not able to stand as we had to remain belted due to turbulents. The stewardess apologized and told me to contact UAL for a refund as she felt badly. I am not kidding when I say I was crushed between these two, obviously they booked seats this way to have enough room between them. Below is the resposnse I received from United, so beware when you book a flight as United does not take any responsibility for this...

In a message dated 12/7/2009 12:12:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, CustomerSolutions@united.com writes:

Dear Ms. Tallman,

We are sorry you continue to be disappointed with our service, as our records show that this was a voluntary change and a correct charge, so as my colleague advised, you we will no be refunding the $75.00 charge.

As all Customer Relations Specialists are the voice of United and the final line of resolution.  Diversity, respect and a zero tolerance for discrimination are a core value at United Airlines for its employees and its guests. We demonstrate this value in many ways, including maintaining a safe and equitable workplace, and by respecting and recognizing the diversity of our tens of millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees from all around the globe. As Ms. Yeager explained, United has a very clear policy regarding Passengers of Size. Your fellow traveler was within our guidelines and not subject to purchasing another seat. To force them to do so would not only be unfair, but illegal based on Federal Anti-discrimination laws.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2009 06:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Airlines/internet/United-Airlines-seating-policy-Internet-536367. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Airlines