- Report: #618359
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Work Out World
Work Out World2345 Rt 66 Ocean, New Jersey United States of America
Work Out World Great facility if you know your way around a gym but impossible to cancel Ocean, New Jersey
*Author of original report: The Final Outcome
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
I was being slammed with $480 monthly co-pays with physical therapy. One of the therapists recommended WOW as I was looking for a cheaper alternative. The contract stated that 2 free personal training sessions were included in the monthly dues $32.05. I met with the trainer, who dropped the bomb, it would cost another $2,000 2 include these 2 personal training sessions each month. I couldn't afford it and tried the "wing it" approach based on her recommendations. I wound up tearing a muscle in my foot and 14 months later, still sleep with a brace and my mobility is just coming back. So much for their professional trainers. You really need to have experience and know your way around a gym.
Based on the doctor's orders, and the breach of contract I cancelled via email to the person I entered the contract with while simultaneously sending a copy regular mail. I was billed $32.05 the next month, so I called to follow up on the cancellation notice. This is when the fun began. "call back later and speak to "Mike" (the person who initiated the contract)". Another time, it was really busy... call later. Various messages and "someone will call you back". The best one was "call our billing headquarters". When I asked for the billing headquarters telephone and address, they put me on hold, said something about it being in Baltimore MD and then hung up.
My credit card company had an address and phone number for this mytery headquarters that is in Silver Springs Maryland. I called several times (both inside and outside business hours) only getting a voice mail and no return call.
My credit card company is satisfied the authorization to charging was clearly revoked so they credit back everything, but it is a hassle because every 2 weeks they re-bill a random amount.
In April 2010 they increased to $52.10, in May they billed twice - once for $52.10 and once for $114. In June they billed another $114 on the 10th and just last week another $151. Just got the June charges credited off my card through the bank.
The bank said that WOW is unresponsive and uncooperative with their dispute resolution specialists. They are receiving the same run around I did.
If you are in this situation, this is what my bank recommends.
1) Look at your contract and see what the cancellation terms are. The fact they did not honor the 2 monthly training sessions AND my doctor said "no go" is a breach on their part the could talk their way around for the free money, but they can't argue my doctor.
2) Send your reason for cancellation in writing.
3) After you send written cancellation, dispute every billing with your bank. A credit card charge back winds up costing the gym "a bank fee" for processing every disputed charge. If their bank sees a pattern, they will be issued a warning, followed by higher monthly fees, followed by termination of credit card charging priviledges.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/28/2010 10:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Work-Out-World/Ocean-New-Jersey-07712/Work-Out-World-Great-facility-if-you-know-your-way-around-a-gym-but-impossible-to-cancel-618359. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.