Complaint Review: Boca Beauty Academy

• Updated: Fri, April 25, 2014

• Reported By: Wouldn't you like to know — Miami Florida
Boca Beauty Academy
7820 Glades Rd. boca raton, Florida USA

Boca Beauty Academy, Mrs. Lettie and Chris Barry lied to my face repeatedly, to get me to sign up for other classes I wasn't even interested in to begin with. boca raton Florida

*Author of original report: WRONG.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Clarification of Laser Hair Removal

*General Comment: Please contact me

I moved to florida over two years ago, with the intent to remove tattoos with a laser!! Being young and naive at the time, it didn't occur to me that every state has different laws for different medical services.  I did some research (but apparently not enough), in schools that offer laser courses. I chose Boca Beauty because the staff seemed friendly, it seemed like a fun atmosphere and less like a jail, which many of the other schools seemed like.

I could dig into my paperwork and give you exact dates, but I don't think that is necessary right now until I get a lawyer involved.. but about two years ago when I went to take a tour of the school, Chris Barry was the administrative director at the time and gave me the tour of the school, as well as my boyfriend who was with me who will be my witness in court.  He adamantly told me that BBA definitely offered a laser tattoo and hair removal course.  Upon lying to my face about that, he also told me that i would need to take the skin care class first, in order to learn about skin (which made sense to me,) and then take a 600 hour long electrology course, as required by the state of Florida Law, before I could take the 30 hour laser course- which mind you, was maybeee 20 hours tops, they let us go early each day, which at the time was great because 10 hours a day over my entire weekend SUCKED, and is too much of an overload of information for the brain to comprehend if you ask me.

I completed the Skin Care class, and also signed up for microdermabrasion, and chemical peels classes, and the Permanent Make up class, because I became very interested in the whole skin and beauty industry as a whole.  But still, my main passion was to remove tattoos, and I'll briefly tell you why- I also told Chris this upon signing up- When I was 18, to put it vaguely, I woke up with two pistols tattood on my hips.  I HATED THEM. I immediately thought of laser tattoo removal, and decided to give it a shot. I figured, if it didnt completely work maybe it would atleast lighten them enough to get something better to cover them. Needless to say it worked, it worked AMAZINGLY, and right then and there since i was 19 I wanted to do that for a living.  I dropped out of my University in which I kept switching my major and wasting my own money because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do.  I then bartended for a while and moved to Florida to persue my career and live the beach life, because California was too expensive ;] .

I saved up enough money to move and finance the school (Boca Beauty) and began classes. Back to the part where I said I completed Skin Care... I then began the Electrology course, in which the teacher, Melanie, was INCREDIBLE- this woman deserves an award!!! She really, truly cares about her students and that each and every one of them understands the material, she goes out of her way to make our day special, even when she's sick.  But I'm getting off track here.  During this class I started hearing that all Electrologists could do in Florida was Laser Hair Removal- that only a nurse or a Physician's Assistant could perform laser tattoo removal. By this time Chris Barry was fired. But of course I wasn't allowed to know why. That's where Mrs. Lettie comes in. She took over his position.

I began to freak out, and would constantly (we're talking once a week here..) ask Mrs. Lettie if we would be learning about tattoo removal during the 30 hour laser course and she repeatedly told me yes, yes you will. When I confronted her with the confusing FL Law online, she read to me while pointing it out to me "See here? It says you can do it as long as you are under supervision of a licensed professional. Tons of my students here have graduated and gone on to do tattoo removal."  I then recorded her, with her permission of course, (which was dumb on her part) to ensure that I would be able to later take this to court if I were not taught laser tattoo removal, and unable to find a job doing so.

I now have a doctor who bought a laser machine for me and was going to give me a room in his facility and allow me to do laser tattoo and hair removal, but he wanted me to tripple check with the florida department of health and board that I could perform such procedures without him hovering over my soulder persay, but as long as he were in the building. I contacted Kim Tillery, head of the board of Electrology who then told me no, you absolutely CANNOT perform laser tattoo removal, it is illegal.

So now I'm livid... and am going to find every negative review ever posted on the internet about boca beauty, contact these individuals, as well as many other students I went to school with that had tons of complaints like "they never helped me with job placement" and so on.. and file a class action lawsuit.   And that girl is absolutely correct, they did NOT help us find jobs upon graduation, I received a call almost a year later from some guy named James, who apparently took the place of Mrs. Lettie, asking if I had found a job yet or not and if I needed help. I laughed at him because at the time I did have a job already that I found on my own.

One last thing, that is only a couple complaints I have about the school... I could go on and on about Mrs. Lettie whom guided me in RUINING a woman's face because she did not teach me proper technique during the permanent make up class, which is now taught by actual professionals that don't work for BBA.

If anyone reading this has had problems with boca beauty and wants to persue the class action lawsuit against them with me and the others I already have involved, please comment with your email or some way for me to contact you. Thanks.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/16/2013 01:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Boca-Beauty-Academy/boca-raton-Florida-33434/Boca-Beauty-Academy-Mrs-Lettie-and-Chris-Barry-lied-to-my-face-repeatedly-to-get-me-to-1092386. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Boca Beauty Academy

WRONG.

AUTHOR: The girk. - ()

You completely disregarded what I was making a complaint about - which was that two of your *no longer employed* staff members lied to my face and told me repeatedly that I would be taught at BBA and could do laser hair removal in Florida.  I was 18 years old, yes it was my fault I did not read the entire course book word for word. I was still lied to and lead to believe I would get something I couldn't legally have or do in florida.  Christopher Barry and Leticia Valesquez- aka Miss Lettie- the woman who was in charge and running the school for years!!! And please tell me why it took you MONTES to reply to this? Jack - you are a true embarrassment to the school you own. And you just lost the BEST attribute you had- Melanie Tenenbaum. And then to top this all off, one of your newest *constantly going* managing staff offered ME her job!!! Hahaha- The girl who almost sued you guys and would have if I had the money, or if the other students whom originally said they would speak in court didn't back out because of laziness! Congratulations- you've got a few good things left- Tammy, Doreen Lindgren, don't mess those up! Hope you can pick yourself back up off your feet, I know times are hard these days so I will just go ahead and assume that's why you hire anyone who can make a sale- Clean or dirty.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Clarification of Laser Hair Removal

AUTHOR: Integrity is our #1 Priority - ()

This student was evidently pleased with our institution. In her own words, she became very interested in the whole skin and beauty industry after taking our skin care classes.

Furthermore, we are pleased that she selected our institution, because in her words-it seemed like "fun atmosphere".

The complainant also raved about our Electrolysis educator -she said she "loved the teacher" and that she was "incredible'.

Despite all the foregoing information, the complainant is very frustrated because of the laws in the rather complex area of laser hair removal.

To clarify, with a few limited exceptions ( ie. Nurses, Physician Assistants,etc) taking Electrolysis is indeed a prerequisite in order to practice laser hair removal in the state of Florida.

In order to practice laser hair removal , there is a 30 hour Continuing Education class required ,in laser hair removal. It is referred to by this name in all materials. Nowhere do we refer to this as a tatoo removal class.

We do recognize that the laws can sometimes be difficult to interpret. As a result, we would always suggest one seek counsel to render an appropriate professional opinion. But it is eminently clear in this case that the student took a class entitled laser hair removal and nowhere in our literature or class descriptions is there an indication that Tatoo Removal is part of the curriculum.

#3 General Comment

Please contact me

AUTHOR: Meryl - ()

I am also a graduate of BBA, and feel this school is a total rip-off and was lied to as well by Misleady and Chis.  I was pursueded to take additional courses and was only given 1 day classes on these certifications I received and then NEVER got to practice what I was taught. Ii was also promised placement upon graduation.  Misleidy did not file for my lisence upon completion of my course immediately and had to press her till she finally did.  They sent me on 3 interviews knowing the companies required me to rent space, which was not the information given to me to before the interview, and then told by Misleidy this is the norm in the industry as instruction in class which was a totally false statement. I have also been informed by another past student that many of the reviews on their website were coached by teachers and administraters to be positive.  I feel this school was an an utter waste of my time and money and still have not secured a position in the esthetics field.  I am very interested in pursuing a a class action suit and would like to be contacted by anyone on this network as well who would like to move forward with me on this matter.  Please contact me at mkowlowitz@aol.col.com

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC