Complaint Review: Comcast - Comcast Cable

• Submitted: Sat, May 22, 2010
  • Updated: Sat, May 22, 2010

• Reported By: againsthiddenfees — Seattle Washington United States of America
Comcast - Comcast Cable
700 fifth Ave , Ste 2700, Seattle, WA 98124-4709 Seattle, Washington United States of America

Comcast - Comcast Cable hidden fees, deceptive customer service Seattle, Washington

All cable service subscribers need a "digital box" to continue service when Comcast converted signals from analogue to digital last year. During my call to request such a box, customer representative told me, "the box is free, you can pick it up from our stores, or we can ship it to you."  "how much would it be to have it shipped to me?' "Let's see, there is a $9.95 shipping fee."
So I opted for having it shipped.

Upon receiving the bill, the total charge for the box is $30.17.  In addition to the $9.95 shipping, there is an addition charge of $14.95 for the "Video self install Kit" + tax, franchise fees..etc.

I called to ask what the $14.95 is, given that I was told the box is free.  CS says, "it's for shipping the kit to you."

"isn't that what the shipping fee is?"  $9.95?  I was told the kit is free."

"yes, the box is free, but when we send it to you, there is an addition charge for having to send it to you, and that's $14.95."

"there's nothing in the kit except for the box, which you said is free.  Had I gone to pick this kit up myself from your local store, it'd no charge at all?"

So, basically, the previous CS deceived me for saying the cost difference is $9.95.  He should have said $30.  More importantly,  I think Comcast is trying to use deceptive tactics when saying "there is a shipping charge for us go through the process of physically shipping the box ($14.95), and then there is another shipping fee which is for shipping ($9.95)"   The customer service person was even having trouble explaining how ridiculous this all sounds...

Upon arguing further, they agree to waive the $14.95, but I feel I need to report this deceptive action.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/22/2010 04:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Comcast-Comcast-Cable/Seattle-Washington-98124/Comcast-Comcast-Cable-hidden-fees-deceptive-customer-service-Seattle-Washington-606209. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Comcast - Comcast Cable