Complaint Review: eMusic.com

• Updated: Sat, October 16, 2010

• Reported By: Richsap — Sherwood Arkansas United States of America
244 5th Ave Suite 2070 Internet United States of America

eMusic.com eMusic.com Inc. Scam operation out of Internet

I signed up for a "free" music download trial, providing my credit card number as required. I was to receive 50 credits toward downloading music tracks and have 14 days to decide if I wanted to continue with a paid subscription. Normally 1 track is equal to 1 credit but it varies so you have to keep an eye on this. I carefully selected 50 credits worth of music and prompted their system to download them to my pc. After track #14 the download stopped and I was informed that their system only allowed 14 downloads per day. I listened to portions of each track, only to discover that the music was grossly over modulated and sounded like crap.

I gave eMusic.com the benefit of the doubt and allowed the next 14 tracks to download the next day. Again, they all sounded grossly over modulated. I cancelled my trial membership that same afternoon, less than 24 hours after it had started. What is the use of a free subscription if the product is crap?

Two days after I cancelled my "free" subscription I checked my credit card statement online and discovered that eMusic.com had billed my credit card for a premium subscription for $20.79 the very night I signed up for my trial subscription. I called their "customer service" number and the first person I spoke with denied that I had cancelled my account at all. The second person I spoke with verified that I had cancelled my account but claimed I had already downloaded 74 credits worth of music. I verified that I have a college degree and know how to count, but that did not phase them a bit. I also have the e-mail sent by eMusic.com the day I cancelled my subscription acknowledging that I had done so and stating that I would not be charged any money.

I have filed a formal complaint with my state's attorney general office citing unethical business practices by eMusic.com and will also be filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau for New York City as well as posting on any web forum that will allow me to tell my story. These crooks need to be put out of business! Not only is their product substandard and their customer service non-existent, but they bill you for products/services that you do not receive.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/16/2010 03:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/eMusiccom/internet/eMusiccom-eMusiccom-Inc-Scam-operation-out-of-Internet-651771. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on eMusic.com