Complaint Review: Frank Ettin

• Updated: Sat, April 05, 2014

• Reported By: Anthony — San Francisco California
Frank Ettin
2089 Staghorn Way Livermore, California USA

Frank Ettin not a legal expert on firearms or self defense matters Livermore California

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: It Looks Like Someone Doesn't Like Me.

Frank Ettin is a "staff member" at www.thefiringline.com and www.thehighroad.com who is in charge of the legal sections of those particular websites.  Frank provides specific legal advice to the members of those forums in regards to firearms and self defense.  In that regard, I would like to make the following points:

1)  Frank has never either prosecuted or defended any individual in any criminal court in regards to firearms or self-defense laws.  Franks's experience is in healthcare law working at such companies as Blue Cross.  Frank has no real experience, except for reading legal books on the topics, in the legal matters behind firearms and self-defense. [continued below]....

.....  He has never been in a court-room dealing with the matters he speaks of.

This is Franks linkedin profile: linkedin.com/pub/frank-ettin/1b/634/458

2)  Frank does not openly disclose his experience in these matters and acts as if he is the defacto legal expert on these websites insisting people follow him and having tantrums when they dont.  However, Frank simply isnt qualified to talk about these matters based on his legal experience in the healthcare industry.  Neither website lists out Franks resume and Frank does not openly provide information on his background nor does he preface his posts stating he has no experience in these areas of law.

3)  Frank is performing paid-for seminars and road-shows at gun conferences talking about legal issues in self-defense when he is not qualified.

4)  Legal issues are complex and "local".  What is legal in one geography is not legal in the other.  Someone with real experience in a court-room defending these matters should be answering legal questions on these websites.

There is another rip-off report on this website about Frank and I am inclined to believe it.  Frank believes since that he is a lawyer he can talk about any area of law expertly.  So I can believe that this other guy hired Frank and failed to deliver.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/05/2014 07:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Frank-Ettin/Livermore-California-94550/Frank-Ettin-not-a-legal-expert-on-firearms-or-self-defense-matters-Livermore-California-1136504. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Frank Ettin

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

It Looks Like Someone Doesn't Like Me.

AUTHOR: Frank Ettin - ()

I find these sorts of anonymous attacks interesting. Obvisously I've made someone unhappy. In any case, I'm out in the world under my own name. My profile is available on Linkedin, and folks are always free to question and challenge comments I post on various Internet Forums. However, contrary to what my anonymous attacker has claimed, I do not perform "paid-for seminars and road-shows at gun conferences." I'm retired

Since I am out in the world under my own name (unike my anonymous attacker), my backgroud is available. I have never claimed to have represented clients in self defense or use of force matters. But I am well educated in those matters. Indeed, one of the ways lawyers learn about law is by studying the cases and taking classes. So while I would not undertake representation of a client in those areas, I comment on general, legal issues arising in connection with the use of force in self defense (and other areas of firearms law) within the scope of my knowledge.

I of course would not claim to be an expert. One isn't an expert unless someone else qualified calls him an expert. I have taken a class with a well known expert, Massad Ayoob. And I have taught a class with Massad Ayoob. Mr. Ayoob quoted me in his column in the August, 2010, issue of Combat Handguns, writing (pg 9):

"...This whole 'strategy' was effectively shot down in flames by Frank Ettin, a retired attorney with more than 30 years or experience in legal liability reduction issues. Bear in mind that this is a man who knows his guns: Frank has extensive experience in firearms training, handgun competition in several formats, and concealed carry. He has deeply studied the law and the caselaw as it relates to defensive use of firearms and dealdly force...."

In any case, everyone is welcome to decide for himself. What I've written on various legal topics can be read at thehighroad.org or thefiringline.com. It's free, and if you think I'm off base on anything, by all means register on the site (it's free) and comment.

Frank Ettin