Complaint Review: Janda Exotics

• Updated: Wed, March 26, 2014

• Reported By: KatieC — Lynnwood Washington
Janda Exotics
PO Box 519 San Marcos, TX 78667 San Marcos, Texas USA

Janda Exotics Exotic pets, Janda Exotics, Texas, Ashley Duncan, Kinkajou, animal San Marcos Texas

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Customer Responsibility

Buyer Beware...

Ashley Duncan is out to make a quick buck!

First off, I would like to accept the fact I see my fault as a buyer in this expensive life-lesson. I should have done far more extensive research before this opportunity arose... but I wanted to warn others before they make the same mistake I did and being unfairly robbed of a large sum of money…

A couple months ago my husband and I went through a long process of adopting 2 baby kinkajous from Ashley Duncan, owner of Janda Exotics in San Marcos, Texas. Ashley came across as very sweet, replaying to emails, sending baby pictures of the Kinkajous...

We had to provide a $1,000 deposit over the phone for the babies if we wanted the Kinkajous to put on hold as they would "go quickly." So we did.

My husband and I discovered during this process that it is in fact NOT LEGAL to house the animals in Washington State; and we would never have been able to pick the Kinkajous up at the airport due to law... We wanted to cancel the adoption.

I understand that her website stated that the deposit is non-refundable; however we obtained no receipt and no signed contract on either side…

On the sellers website it is stated:

“Since every state, city, county and even certain home owners associations all have different laws and guidelines for owning pets there is no way for us to know the laws in your area. It is your responsibility to find out if you need a permit or if you are allowed to have the animals in your home. A good place to check is your state USDA office which can be found here, just follow the link and click on your state: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/ ** We will NOT knowingly ship animals into illegal states or countries**

As her website states "We will NOT knowingly ship animals into illegal states or countries", has the link on her site of those appropriate areas... You would think as a respective seller she would check before taking our money. Ashley is most-likely WELL aware of state laws. She deals with it on a daily basis through her buisiness (I should have taken better steps to avoid this.) According to the Washington State Department of Wildlife and Agriculture the Kinkajous would have been shipped back to the breeder. This leads me to believe that Ashley knowingly took our money when we would not have been able to complete the transaction or recive the babies from the beginning.

This intent may not be true. However regardless of Ashley’s intent, financially Ashley was out nothing. The babies weren’t even ready to be shipped for weeks due to age and were most likely sold later at full value to a new buyer.

I sent Ashley an email asking her to contact me about the matter and her “friendly” emails simply got short to “no refunds.”

I felt tricked and foolish.

Chase was able to get our money back temporarily, through Small Claims. It was wrong for Janda Exotics to keep our money with no contract and wrong for her to sell them to us in the first place because of State Laws.

A couple weeks later we got a letter, Ashley complained the money was not ours and took it back out of our account…

I’m accepting the fact of this life-lesson, I feel bad we gained nothing and lost so much, all of no loss to her. What a jerk.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/26/2014 11:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Janda-Exotics/San-Marcos-Texas-78667/Janda-Exotics-Exotic-pets-Janda-Exotics-Texas-Ashley-Duncan-Kinkajou-animal-San-Marc-1133828. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Janda Exotics

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Customer Responsibility

AUTHOR: Ashley - (USA)

Firstly, I will mention that every states laws on exotic animal ownership can change yearly. As stated and quoted above in the complaint, it is the buyers resposibility to ensure that where you live will allow your selected animal. This is posted in plain 14+ point font on my website, I am not trying to scam or hide anything from anyone, I even include a link to help you get started on your search. I take offense to the statement that I took someone's money maliciously, that is absolutley not true, by not completing the sale I had to re-advertise for several weeks and educate another two clients on care, raising and upkeep of the babies (something I provide for the LIFE of the animals). I have many, many happy customers who did thier research ahead of time, I don't see why I should receive criticism because someone did not. Since this complaint I have required my potential clients to look into their state, city, county, HOA laws, rules and ordinaces regarding exotic ownership. This is not my responsibility.