Complaint Review: LA Carpet

• Submitted: Fri, March 09, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, March 09, 2012

• Reported By: Greg the engineer — Costa Mesa California United States of America
LA Carpet
8775 Research Dr. Irvine, California United States of America

LA Carpet Long Area Carpet and Rug, Inc. Salesman and owner lied about carpet materials; Irvine, California

*General Comment: What carpet company did you end up using?

First, there are several locations of LA Carpet.  All in CA.  Corona, Fullerton, Orange, Lake Forest, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Rancho Cucamonga, San Dimas, and San Juan Capistrano

We went into LA Carpet inquiring about Stain Master Carpet by DuPont.  This is a nylon material.
The salesman for LA Carpet lied to our face and told us this carpet by Shaw Industries was nylon but it was a much better quality of nylon.  Only later did we come to find out the salesman lied and the carpeting he sold us was actually polyester!!  It is made for model homes.  It is not made to be walked on.

The carpet is terrible quality.  We noticed serious quality issues at 6 mos. old.  We are two senior citizens.  No kids.  The carpet was literally falling apart.  We filed a claim with LA Carpet.  They jerked us around with some moron "carpet expert".  This "expert" laid a carpenter's scratch awl on the carpet took a picture then left.  He writes some report stating there is no problem with the carpet and we simply need to have the carpet cleaned.  We had just had it professionally steam cleaned about 10 days before this carpet expert came over.  We showed him the receipt for the cleaning.  I guess the clumps of fibers falling out of the carpet does not mean anything.  There are literally bald spots on the carpet and a lot of "corn rows".

I am a retired engineer.  I took a digital depth gauge and measured the carpet.  To be fair, I vacuumed a brand new piece of leftover carpet and the areas around the house where we were having problems.  I vacuumed the test areas and new carpet sample to stand the fibers up as high as possible.  I did not walk on the areas to be tested before testing.  The new carpet measures 43/64" in height.  The track in the hallway measured 13/64" average height.  Similar readings were found at all the problem areas.  We took pictures of the digital readings and forwarded with some pieces of the carpet fiber clumps that are falling out of the carpet backing.  The carpet has worn down over 50% in less than one year.

Shaw Industries, to their credit, agreed to refund our money in full.  LA Carpet took the refund and refuses to give us our money back.  We have had to take them to small claims court

Don't deal with LA Carpet.  You will be lied to just to make a sale.  You will be lied to after you have  problems with their crappy carpet quality.  If you deal with LA Carpet, you'll be sorry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/09/2012 10:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/LA-Carpet/Irvine-California-8775/LA-Carpet-Long-Area-Carpet-and-Rug-Inc-Salesman-and-owner-lied-about-carpet-materials-851581. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on LA Carpet

#1 General Comment

What carpet company did you end up using?

AUTHOR: tap4cc - ()

Dear Greg, Thank-you for your report on LA Carpet.  I live in a double wide mobile home in a 55 plus community in Lake Forest, CA.  I have checked out Home Depot so far.  Do you mind telling me who you ended up using to fix and install the carpet in your home?  Home depot charges extra for Mobile Home carpet to be installed do to the seaming.  They also charge 50.00 for coming out to measure but the 50.00 is then applied to the over all price.  They seem to be pretty straight forward with their pricing.  I would appreciate any feed back you could give me as this is the first time I have hired a company to install carpet.

Sincerely,