Complaint Review: meganslaw.com

• Reported By: Tyler — Rosedale Maryland
meganslaw.com

meganslaw.com Discreetly charges you for monthly plan! Internet

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Respectfully disagree

My business partner and I work in real estate. We needed to inquire about the sexual offenders in our target areas so that we could decide where it was safe to buy and where it was not. I googled Megan's Law sites and the first one to pop up was meganslaw.com

The site looked reputable when i first visited. I continued to search for the information that I was looking for. When I hit search on the first page, it told me how many offenders were within my target area, but when I went to look at the map to see where they were, it made me register with the site.

So I did. Upon registering, it took me to a screen where I had to input more information to register, followed by a spot where I needed to put my credit card information. The only reason I decided to was because of this statement that went along with it "This information is used to verify your identity. You will only be charged $1 for activation."

A a little over a week goes by and I notice a charge for 29.97 from KIDS LIVE SAFE. I call up the number and explain to them that I didn't want to sign up for a monthly membership and that the only reason that I gave them my information was that I wanted to access the site for the "dollar that was needed for verification purposes".

It was then explained to me by "Hugh of customer services" that the dollar I had paid was actually for a 7 day free trial and that it automatically renewed if I didn't call them and cancel. I told him that I wasn't informed about this, which is when he explained that it was in the terms of use. He then gave me a few free months explaining that I was getting 90 dollars worth of membership, but all I wanted was my money back for something I didn't even intend on buying.

I went on the site and found that when I hit register, that I had actually agreed to the terms of use, which happened to be in fine print. The terms never even popped up for me to read. I am disappointed by the way this site holds itself and how sneaky they are. Please, do not sign up for this site.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/23/2013 05:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/meganslawcom/internet/meganslawcom-Discreetly-charges-you-for-monthly-plan-Internet-1045414. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on meganslaw.com

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Respectfully disagree

AUTHOR: member support - ()

Our goal at www.meganslaw.com (Kids Live Safe) is to provide tools and information for parents and grandparents to help protect their families most effectively.

We are sincerely saddened that the previous reviewer believes our intentions are anything but genuine. We are very proud of our service and are helping thousands of parents and grandparents all over the country take a more proactive role in helping their families stay safe.

Our sign up process makes it very clear that we give access to our information and tools for a 7 day trial for $1.  This allows a member to preview the benefits and determine if they want to continue for the price of $29.97per month or $59.98 per year (we promote the $59.98 as a much better deal).  We place all of the terms and conditions of the membership on the sign up page (where a customer enters payment information), and reiterate them on the confirmation page, and also in a welcome email sent to every member post sign-up.  On each of those pages we explain that the most effective way to cancel the membership is to contact our member support department at 1-800-301-5905 and also give customers an option to email us at support@kidslivesafe.com.  Our Member Support department is open 7 days a week from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. pacific standard time to ensure that members have many hours per day to cancel their accounts or get member support from our friendly, trained staff.  We also allow members to cancel within our integrated voice response system if a member calls after hours or is unable to reach a members support representative during hours of operation.

There is a free national sex offender registry and other government sites that offer some good information at no cost.  Also, there are sites like http://www.familywatchdog.us that offer similar data for free and we alert customers who can’t afford our membership to look there.  With our service, we have compiled a much more comprehensive set of benefits and have organized the site to be very user friendly.  Some of our membership benefits are highlighted below.

One of the key features of our membership is our ability to create a 5 mile protection zone around a member’s home address. This allows us to monitor new sex offender activity and send immediate email alerts when a new sex offender registers within this monitoring area. Not only are our members able to monitor their own home, but can set up 3 additional monitoring areas.

Our members are also able to set up Emergency Response Profiles for each one of their children. These digital profiles contain a child’s picture, personal information, physical description, medical information as well as guardian contact information. These profiles can instantly be emailed to friends, family or the police in case a child goes missing or is abducted; this assists parents and law enforcement in the recovery of the child.

Since sexual predators are gaining access to our children via the internet our members are able to utilize our award winning internet filter Net Nanny; this product alone retails for $40 per year. This internet filter allows parents to monitor their child’s online activities to ensure that they stay safe while surfing the web or chatting with friends.

If you have any questions feel free to contact our friendly member support team at 1-800-301-5905.

Kids Live Safe Member Support

"Protect What Matters Most"