Complaint Review: microsoft xbox

• Updated: Thu, December 30, 2010

• Reported By: Emily — Davenport Florida United States of America
microsoft xbox
1 Microsoft Way Redmond, Washington United States of America

microsoft xbox red rings of bad service, reason my 360 keeps breaking is how I handle it Redmond, Washington

*Consumer Comment: I fail to see the problem

My xbox 360 bought in 11/2007 keeps malfunctioning, it had to be replaced not even a year after buying it.

I had my warranty extended out. In the last few months I keep getting red lights indicating there is hardware issues, apparently unplugging things makes it better.

Now today I get 1 flashing red light and it indicates system error.

Xbox customer service nicely let me know it was how I handled my systems and others who bought theirs at the same time are not having the same problem. Also it is not uncommon for electronics with 1000 of pieces to break yet still it was the way I handled my machine.

They also expect me to pay 100+ to have it fixed, even though its a system issue and my extended warranty that I was told after it got replaced the first time was full is only for 3 flashing red lights not just one and for errors up to e 70 not e 80.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/01/2010 08:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/microsoft-xbox/Redmond-Washington-/microsoft-xbox-red-rings-of-bad-service-reason-my-360-keeps-breaking-is-how-I-handle-it-657494. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on microsoft xbox

I fail to see the problem

AUTHOR: Zashule - (United States of America)

Having worked in electronic retail for several years, I can tell you that this is 100% accurate and that there is no problem at all. Xbox360s come with a 1 year warranty out of the box. The 3 year warranty is ONLY against a defect in the Xbox 360 system and in response to a pending lawsuit. E80 is not in regards to the specific defect that plagues approx. 30% of Xbox 360 systems. It generally indicated a disrupted power connection during a system firmware update, causing the system software to become corrupt. Most times this is caused by unintentional interference, such as a blackout, power surge, or someone accidentally unplugging the system. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done by the end user to repair the system. Also, make sure that you or no-one in your family has 'modded' the console, because that is another cause if while attempting to flash in unauthorized code into the NAND, although I doubt this is the case.

Where this is a 2007 system the warranty (as of 11/10) is completely out of warranty. If they extended it from the date of repair, then you are still covered ONLY for the '3-Rings' defect.