Complaint Review: National Fitness

• Updated: Wed, September 29, 2010

• Reported By: Fed Up! — Forsyth Georgia USA
National Fitness
1645 East Highway 193, Suite 100 Layton, Utah United States of America

National Fitness Kinetix Health Club Overcharge and turn over to collections Layton, Utah

My wife had an individual membership with Kinetix Health Club. She talked me into joining and so we had a couples membership; however National Fitness (the parent company) continued to bill my AMEX card for the individual membership, as well as the couples membership. When we called the gym we were told that we had to contact the parent company, National Fitness, who in turn told us we had to speak with the manager at the gym, who refused to even take our phone calls.

After 2 months of this I called American Express and told them to stop paying them, then National Fitness stopped jerking us around (or so we thought) and acknowledged that they had been over charging us.

By this time we wanted nothing more to do with Kinetix Health Club so we canceled our memberships. We were told that in order to cancel we would have to send them proof that we moved or died and that because we had been over charged, we would not be required to pay a penalty for breaking the contract. So we moved and sent them proof.

Now 3 months later, I get a bill from National Fitness's Collection Agency (yes they own a collection agency as well as a health club) for non-payment. The letter says nothing about a cancellation fee, though we were told there would be no cancellation fee, it simply says for non-payment. However, when I called I was told that they have no record of over charging me or of ever having told me that there would be no cancellation fee. Convenient, as the recording plainly states that "your call may be recorded for quality purposes."

They did a credit check, they know I have excellent credit and now they are trying to extort money out of me because they think I'll pay them $152.20 to avoid them reporting me to the credit reporting agencies. I have excellent credit because I pay what I owe and I pay it on time, not because I cave and cower to corporate bullies who think they can extort money out of me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2010 07:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Fitness/Layton-Utah-84040/National-Fitness-Kinetix-Health-Club-Overcharge-and-turn-over-to-collections-Layton-Utah-645603. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Fitness