Complaint Review: Richard Kennis

• Updated: Mon, August 05, 2013

• Reported By: Yanni1967 — Eggenfelden Bavaria Other
Richard Kennis
1321 Sweets Corners Road Penfield, New York USA

Richard Kennis Richard's Classics and Sports “Classic Car Buyers “BEWARE!!” My experience buying a 62 Vette from the Dealer Richard Kennis Classics and Sports Penfield New York

I purchased a fully restored 1962 Corvette from Richard Kennis at Richard’s Classic Cars and Sports. Richard guaranteed verbally to me and in writing, that the car is like new. Fully restored by himself and the engine professionally refurbished by an external company.

As I am based in Germany I used Road Ready Certified to do the pre purchase inspection of the car. I received a positive report from Road Ready and purchased the car.

When the car arrived in Germany we had a big surprise. The car is fare away from being professionally restored and the engine was completely damaged.

Following a report, a list of technical faults in detail:

1. Carburator defect
  2. Shock Absorber is loose due to wrong bolts used which caused a damage of the thread in the crankshaft (See Pictures)
  3. Crankshaft Bearing Journal is damaged (all Main Bearings and Big-end Bearings damaged) (See Pictures)
  4. Reverse Gear adjustment sticks
  5. Gear Shifter hits in the 3. and 4. Gear the Transmission Tunnel (The Positioning of the Transmission is not correct)
  6. Bolts of the wheels are loose
  7. Suspension bolts are partly loose
  8. Handbrake Lever does not click into place (the Spring is defect)
  9. The screws of the Door trim are pulled out (see picture)
  10. Transmission leaks
  11. Petrol pump leaks
  12. Swaybare bushings broken
  13. Steering box leaks
  14. Painting cracks at the front end of the car

Afterwards the Inspection company apologized for not doing the promised detailed inspection in depth enough, and immediately refunded the inspection cost, which helped little towards the overall costs I now have to endure.

Contacting Richard he surprisingly informed me that he has not done the Restoration himself but does not understand where those damages come from. Basically, the transport company or myself did all those damages to the car. (as you can see from the list would be impossible)

As I now need to invest a further 15,000 Dollars into this “Like New” Corvette I tried to get some compensation to cover the poor workmanship from Richard. Now this over 70 year old “Gentleman” is not replying to my request to resolve this situation, so I have no alternative, but to take legal proceeding against Richard Kennis.

So I can only recommend: Do not purchase and keep away from Richard Kennis and his Classic Cars.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/05/2013 04:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Richard-Kennis-/Penfield-New-York-14526/Richard-Kennis-Richards-Classics-and-Sports-Classic-Car-Buyers-BEWARE-My-ex-1073055. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Richard Kennis