Complaint Review: 5th 3rd Bank - Fifth Third Bank

, Ohio U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

5th 3rd Bank - Fifth Third Bank, without authorization used my debit card to made a charge against my bank acct Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: How is it...

*Consumer Comment: I think you're consfused.

*Consumer Suggestion: Contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

I noticed a charged placed on my checking account that I had not authorized. I contacted my back and was told that the charge was placed by 5th Third bank and that 5th 3rd bank had put a hold on my account by claiming to have been authorized to use my debit card.

I was also told that 5th Third bank had tried several times to access my account, before they were able to get the right access code. When I called 5th Third bank they refused to talk to me and told their call center operator not to put my phone call through to anyone at their bank.

I filed a dispute with my ban and the form they sent me show that the merchant actually shown as making the charge was United Gurgaon Harvailus, a company (?) I have never heard of and have never, to my knowledge, done business with, and who did not have authorization to access or use my debit card.

I filed a Dispute with my bank but I would like to know who regulates National Banks so that I can file a complaint with them regarding the actions of 5th 3rd Bank.

Joe
Marshall, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2009 09:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/5th-3rd-Bank-Fifth-Third-Bank/Ohio/5th-3rd-Bank-Fifth-Third-Bank-without-authorization-used-my-debit-card-to-made-a-charge-413111. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 5th 3rd Bank - Fifth Third Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

How is it...

AUTHOR: Chiaroscuro - (U.S.A.)

How is it the fault of the bank that someone stole your debit card information and used your card? The bank just facilitates the transaction, your beef is with the theif that stole the card. Just file a dispute once the item posts and close out the exposed card. Your bank will work with you to investigate the dispute. 5/3rd did not put a hold on the card, the merchant did. The bank is just processing the item that they THOUGHT you did, but clearly your card was stolen.

I think you're consfused.

AUTHOR: Wouldntyouliketoknow - (U.S.A.)

You have fraud on your account. The person who took money from your account was not 5/3 bank, but likely a customer of 5/3 bank. The bank doesn't just go in and take money from your account. Someone either paid 5/3 using your information, or used their account to draw from yours.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Frank - (U.S.A.)

You want to contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Go to http://www.occ.treas.gov/. Click on the link (left side of the web page) entitled "Consumer Complaints and Assistance." Then scroll down to the section "Filing a Formal Complaint."

#4 Consumer Suggestion