Complaint Review: AT&T Worldnet Internet Service

• Submitted: Sat, February 15, 2003
  • Updated: Tue, February 18, 2003

• Reported By:Baltimore Maryland
AT&T Worldnet Internet Service
P.O Box 1423 Morristown New Jersey 07962 Vancover, British Columbia U.S.A.

AT&T Worldnet Internet Service rip-off Vancover British Columbia

*Consumer Suggestion: Small Claims court, you can win!

I called to cancel the service because I really didn't use it much anymore. When I called the customer service representative offered to keep my internet email address for $5.60 a month. I thought this would be like hotmail or Yahoo. She then stated that I could have service reactiviated when I wanted.

She negelected to tell me that she was not cancelling my dial up modem service and that I would be charged $1 an hour dial up fee. About a month later my cable service computer crashed and I used my old computer that had the dial up service. It worked I thought it had reverted to the old $20 a month plan till I got billed $400 dollars. It is a classic trap. Hard sell a customer into something they do not want.

Don't give them all the details and then continue the service to allow children, and anyone naive enough to trust this company to dial up for $1.00 an hour. I called their billing department located conviently out of the country in British Columbia where they must have a pool of consciousless desparate people to work for them.

They stated it was my responsibility to know obviously by osmosis that I was to be charged this outrageous fee. I asked wll isn't it part of your training to tell the customer all the details of the service agreement. "I can't disclose out training practises sir" yeah no wonder they are out to blantantly defraud.

If anyone knows a way to get at this company that just defrauded me of $400 right before I am about to be deployed to the persian gulf and everyone knows that the military reserve pay sucks, I would like to know.

John
Baltimore, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2003 03:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-Worldnet-Internet-Service/Vancover-British-Columbia/ATT-Worldnet-Internet-Service-rip-off-Vancover-British-Columbia-45560. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T Worldnet Internet Service

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Small Claims court, you can win!

AUTHOR: Marco - (U.S.A.)

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm in California, so small claims can handle this type of problem. It is actually very easy to file against a known party (with assets).

First request in writing a refund for the fraud that took place with this c/s rep, wait 30 days for response. If no acceptable response, then go to your local courthouse, file a small claims action (CA is up to $5000). You will have to mail copies of the complaint to the parties. Most likely, they will refund your money because it will cost them more to send a rep to the court than to pay you back your $400, go ahead and add in an additional amount to cover your processing.

The court may also waive your fees if you have a half descent reason.

I got into an accident with a big truck. I got a ticket at the scene. I fought the ticket and won (cop & driver witnesses), I filed small claims and won $2500 out of $5000 that I was suing for. It feels really really really fantastic to shove it back in their faces. The owner of this company told me in the lobby of the court house, that there is no need to arbitrate or sue, because I won't get any $$, he has eaten people like me for lunch many times. He stormed out of the courthouse, vying to appeal. Didn't hear from them for three weeks until I got a check with a nice thank you from their insurance company.