Complaint Review: Alienware Corporation

• Reported By: onomonopeea — Temecula California United States of America
Alienware Corporation
14591 S.W. 120th Street Miami, Florida United States of America

Alienware Corporation no repair parts available Miami, Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: When on a limited budget, always stick with industry standard stuff

*Consumer Comment: Out of luck..Possibly

I own an Alienware M17 that was purchased October, 2009. I bought it to use in graphic art creation rather than a gaming unit. I purchased the best components I could place on my credit card and wanted to use it for alot longer than the 1 year and a half that I have had it now. It has shut down on me and will not start up in any manner. One computer repair person diagnosed it as with a failed motherboard. My warranty ended a few months ago. I contacted Alienware for possible repairs and was told that they no longer have the motherboard as a part at all.

This really ticks me off because I'm still paying $4,000 dollars that I purchased it for and have no ability to finance another computer at all. So purchasing is out also because I am disabled and on a fixed income. I cannot find any replacement motherboard. One company offers it, but must pay, $500.00 or more fore them to come up with it. That is the projected cost of the motherboard only, with an additional $130.00 labor or service contract. I find it very peculiar that a computer manufacturer builds computers and after a year and a half later no longer has repair parts. It was also financed by Dell Financing but Dell does not repair this type of computer. Am I out of luck or what?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2011 11:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alienware-Corporation/Miami-Florida-33186/Alienware-Corporation-no-repair-parts-available-Miami-Florida-721627. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alienware Corporation

#1 Consumer Suggestion

When on a limited budget, always stick with industry standard stuff

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

I cannot figure out why you would have selected this machine if you were on a limited budget and fixed income.

If you rely on fast and cheap repair and/or replacement, you need to stick with industry standard stuff.

Alienware is a Dell product that is designed exclusively for gamers.

If you are not into gaming, there was no reason to buy this unit in the first place.

My advice now is to just buy a replacement unit.

They are now about half the cost that they were 1.5 years ago, and much better equipped.

Shop your office supply stores for sales, and "special buys".

I recently saw an HP machine with the Quad core processor, 1TB HD, 6GB ram and a bundle of goodies including a widescreen flat panel monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse,etc. for $579.99 at Staples. That was 3-4 weeks ago.

Out of luck..Possibly

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The computer is out of warranty so yes you are going to have to pay for it on your own.  A company is under no obligation to continue to make parts for a specific amount of time.  Although on an original computer that was $4,000 a couple of years ago, $500 for a Motherboard($630 with install) doesn't sound all that out of the ordinary.

Although I would possibly get a second opinion.  I am not familar specifically with that motherboard, but for it to not power up at all sounds like a possibility of a power issue.  In doing some quick searches having a bad DC Input jack seems to be somewhat common, not only is the part very cheap(from about $3-$40).  It should also be simpler to find someone to do the replacement.