• Report: #1121958

American Power & Gas LLC
411 CLEVELAND ST. #299 CLEARWATER, FL 33755 , Select State/Province USA

American Power & Gas LLC Increased Rates by 300%! CLEARWATER Florida

*Author of original report: Complaint Settled - Refund Recieved

*Author of original report: Re: "Darlene's Bad Math"

*Consumer Comment: Darlene's bad math

*General Comment: American Power & Gas Are a RIP OFF!!

With utility rates being at an all-time high, I began utilizing 3rd party power suppliers offering lower rates than Med-Ed had been. My house is 100% powered by electricity including my heat pump, hot water heater, etc. That said, my bills during the winter have been extremely high. My last supplier increased my rate so I decided to shop for a new company to supply my power. I received an insert in with my latest Met-Ed bill from American Power & Gas LLC. They were offering at that time, a lower rate than Met-Ed. Met-Ed's current rate was and still is about 8 cents per kilowatt per hour.

American Power & Gas' customer service agent "Rich" swore up and down to me that their rate would NEVER be higher than Met-Ed's and that I should keep my eye on the Price to Compare section of my bill each month. He said that should it ever go higher, I should call him right away as he left me his direct extension. In December, American Power & Gas supplied my power at about 9 cents per kilowatt per hour. Obviously it was higher than Met-Ed's rate so I attempted to call "Rich", whereas I was told this person does not exist and his extension was invalid.

At this point I'm angry and should have canceled services with American Power right there and then. But I was assured by another customer service rep that my rate should be at about 6.5 cents per KWH for January. Well, I opened my January bill yesterday only to find that the total amount due was $1,811.03! That's right, eighteen hundred dollars! Normally my January bill using Met-Ed's rates is anywhere from $600 - $800 depending on the temperatures and how much I am using the heat. I began looking my bill over and found that my usage was an estimate based on last year's consumption in January of 6,640 KWH. Sure that seems like a lot, but remember, my entire home is powered by electric, including my hot water heater and grinder pump. I also found that American Power & Gas LLC had increased my rate from 9 cents to 25 cents per KWH!!!

At this point I didn't even realize it was due to the 300% increase and when I called up American Power and spoke to "Raquel" who seemed quite shocked herself about how high my bill was, she suggested that I get on an Equal Payment Plan with Met-Ed to spread out my payments. She said because American Power & Gas does not offer payment plans, having them as my supplier is actually hurting me.

After getting off the phone, that's when I realized the enormous increase, so I called them back to complain. I then spoke to another representative. The first thing I asked her, "what is my current rate?" Could you believe that she came back and told me 9 cents!!! That's when I said "no for my most current bill". She proceeded to inform me that it was .25 cents per KWH and that due to the "Polar Vortex" they had to increase my rates. She assured me that Met-Ed and every power supplier will be doing the same, increasing everyone's rates by more than 100 percent by March and pointed me to a government runned website where I could find more information. This site www.eia.gov did not show me these prospected increases, just that fact that customers may see at maximum a 25% increase across the US.

American Power & Gas had obviously ripped me off! I did find another blog online where another customer of theirs was ripped off by nearly the same increase.

I wish there was something that could be done to rectify my bill and readjust my rate for January. I am going to have a very difficult time paying this bill. Please do not use American Power & Gas LLC if you don't want to end up screwed!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2014 07:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Power-Gas-LLC/Select-StateProvince/American-Power-amp-Gas-LLC-Increased-Rates-by-300-CLEARWATER-Florida-1121958. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Power & Gas LLC

Complaint Settled - Refund Recieved

AUTHOR: Complaint Settled - ()

AP&G stood by their promise to refund me the difference between what MET-ED charged vs. their KPH rates. This complaint has been settled as far as I am concerned.

Re: "Darlene's Bad Math"

AUTHOR: Taken For A Ride - ()

"9 to 25 is a 178% increase NOT a 300% increase"

I have been corrected by a person who obvously has nothing better to do than harrass consumers on this site. I stand corrected, it was a 178% increase not 300. But does that really matter? Isn't a 178% increase by an electric supplier considered a ripoff when others are only at a 25% increase at most? This person must work for AP&G.

Darlene's bad math

AUTHOR: coast - ()

9 to 25 is a 178% increase NOT a 300% increase.

#4 General Comment

American Power & Gas Are a RIP OFF!!

AUTHOR: Carl - ()

i had the ssame circumstance happen as well. As yes got the same b.s. "polar vortex" mumbo jumbo and they tripled my bill! i have called them twice a week and no responses from supervisors. i have emailed them and no responses and i have called the state attorney general no responses yet! this is highway robbery! . how come these companies ar enot regulated??? how do they allow them to rip off the consumer and not give a crap! this company should be investigated and shut down! how do they expect you to pay your bill when it goes up from 700 to 2,100.. are they nuts?? i don't undertsand why they call themselves a savings company?? how can this be?? they feed you a line of b.s. to get you in and that they will always be lower by 1% over nyseg and they are drastically higher!! i am trying to fight with them still to get reimbursed partially for the polar vortex they actually bent me over for. Which is a bunch of bull. You mean supply and demand?? I can always justify an increase based on supply and demand but not THE POLAR VORTEX.. Someone needs to shut this company down and investigate their practices because they do not look out for the consumer they just want to rip them off..I will keep fighting to get a refund if anyone knows of anything i can do to help me achieve my goals easier please i can use the advise! thank you.