• Report: #198463

• Submitted: Tue, June 27, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, June 28, 2006

• Reported By:Orange County California
American Reading Club
5175 Performance Drive Cumming, Georgia U.S.A.

American Reading Club ripoff Cumming Georgia

*Author of original report: American Reading Club Cumming GA

I recently got a call from these people and I was busy with something else, not really paying attention. Anyway, they made it sound like I had asked to receive info from them and with all the stuff I've filled out I didn't doubt it. I'll admit I was a little naive and gave them the information they wanted because it would have helped me a lot at the time.

Afterwards I realized what I'd done and immediately started doing research and was horrified when just about the only things I could find about the company online were scam reports. I immediately called them back and asked for the woman I had just talked with (Betty) to cancel the subscription (they had already charged my card for the first payment, which I'm willing to let go as a lesson learned) and was told that she wasn't in yet. Obviously I called the girl on it since I had just talked with Betty. She told me to hold and I heard her talking with someone and she came back on the line to tell me that I must be mistaken about the name even though she'd just told me that Betty wasn't there yet. I said I wanted to cancel and they said that they would get back to me.

Half an hour later, not having heard from anyone, I called back, got another run around and was told again they would get back to me about cancelling. About 15 minutes later someone got back to me and said that she would handle the cancellation and asked me why I wanted to cancel so I told her and she said she'd cancel and hung up abruptly.

I had been doing more research through all of this and found several different numbers for the company so I thought I'd call one of the other ones but right before I did I got a call from a man named Terry Christensen. He told me that he was the VP of the company and had heard my reason for cancelling and was concerned about all the complaints I told him I'd read.

He told me that complaints were normal and made up less than 1% of their business and so on and so forth, and then tried one more time to get me to change my mind. I said "no, just cancel" and he told me that the subscription would be stopped and to keep their company in mind if I changed my mind. Ok, whatever as long as it's cancelled. Goodbye.

So that's how I took care of it, whether or not they will actually cancel I don't know. But I did get the VP to actually tell me that they would and that's important, I think.(Anyone else with this problem should do the same)

In addition to that you should also cancel the credit card that you used to buy it with. If you used a card attached to your banking account you should close the account and re-open a new one. It's a hassle, I know, but just cancelling that one transaction won't prevent them from debiting your account in the future.

Anne
Orange County, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2006 01:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Reading-Club/Cumming-Georgia-30040/American-Reading-Club-ripoff-Cumming-Georgia-198463. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Reading Club

American Reading Club Cumming GA

AUTHOR: Melissa - (U.S.A.)

ARC has credited the money that they charged back to my account so maybe they aren't that bad. I spent a good bit of yesterday on the phone with them trying to get it resolved so I guess my patience paid off.